Yale or ISB? Wat would u choose?

Hi guys, Can anyone give any input - Is Yale better than ISB? Of course Yale has a great brand name and many years of experience as a B school. But is it a good quality B school also? How would it compare to ISB? Hope someone can throw s…

Hi guys,

Can anyone give any input - Is Yale better than ISB? Of course Yale has a great brand name and many years of experience as a B school. But is it a good quality B school also? How would it compare to ISB?

Hope someone can throw some light on this.

Ciao!

Yugs

Hi guys,

Can anyone give any input - Is Yale better than ISB? Of course Yale has a great brand name and many years of experience as a B school. But is it a good quality B school also? How would it compare to ISB?

Ciao!

Yugs

Don't even think about ISB !!!

Yale all the way....The comparison is not even worth making.

If you have a schol/loan with Yale or if you think you can manage the expenses otherwise you should not even think of ISB

Yugi...

Lets look at this...
A univ like Yale wud have an avg sal to expenditure ration of 1.5:1
where as ISB has this ratio as 0.5:1

Definately the return on investment is HIGHER for any univ as compared to ISB. Though if you look at absolute values, the expenditure abroad is great.

The only positive ISB has is its a one yr prog. and if you looking at a career in India.. then its pretty cool.
if not..
Then Yale baby Yale.. thats where you should go ..

Also.. imp analysis.. Yugita..Yale.. (see the Y factor) :-)

Cheers
D

Hi yugita,
Deciding on Yale or ISB depends on a lot of factors
if u want to work in india after u get ur degree then ISB is a better option as after studying in Yale u cant come back to india immediately since u hav to repay the loan.
But if u r ok with working outside india, then Yale is a hands down winner bcos of its brand reputation and world class faculty. And the intl. experience acquired during an abroad mba is great and u get to interact with the best minds from all over the world.
If u want to eventually settle down in India, then go to Yale n work in the US for a couple of years n then come back to india.
IMO, dont miss an opportunity to go to Yale; everybody doesnt get such a great opportunity.

Hope that helps,

Yugita,
Now thats a choice any one of us would die for!! Atleast I would, but I would take no more than a second deciding!! YALE!! As for the finances, I guess before we apply we always do take into consideration the fee factor---whether or not we can closely afford it..n am sure u did it...now as Dheerin pointed out, you will earn it back quicker with YALE....
Here are my two cents : I think some times we think too much. While ISB is outstanding in India, steadily becoming popular elsewhere too, Yale is good everywhere. I dont think quality is a concern at all.....Yes, ISB scores over any day in terms of expense and time, but I guess a Yale tag is a tag for life.
I hope its becomes easy for you sooner than later.

Cheers

For those who think Yale is a no-brainer - remember that personal reasons (my wife/husband cannot work in the US on a dependent visa and I cannot remain seperated for 2 years), financial constraints (I want 100% loan), emotional/intangible reasons (I want to settle in India post-MBA or I dont want my kid to grow up in the US) etc. need to be considered before you can should "Yale" from rooftops

Yugita - I don't know what are the parameters involved. No question in the world can be answered arbitarily without any basis. Please give us the pros and cons as perceived by you and we shall help you dig in further.

Arun

You must be kidding comparing Yale and ISB. Goto YALE - eyes closed. Even if it means investing a lot of $$$. I agree with Dheerin - bow to the Y-Factor!

No offence meant to ISB or its admits/alumni. Its a good school by Indian standards.

I want to settle in India post-MBA

Big reason ... because then paying back the loan in Indian Rupees is "Saat pidhiyaan bit jaayegi" kinda thing.

Go to yale.
You live only once . May as well have the experience of a good b-school.
Plus yale is yale .The b-school is not big shot exactly but the yale brand is all around the world.
It good times, markets uo you could be back to india in 5 years ..break even and all.
Yale will make you meet people and go places .
ISB is ok ..the lure get in come back to the work force quickly.
But you can work for the rest of you life. So enjoy 2y of b-school.
If your about to get married and stuff thats different.

Hi Yugita,

I just went through similar dilemma and maybe more complex at certain levels.
Coz some of my closest friends are going to ISB and I am not. Other than ISB, I have an offer from Darden Business School right now, and till now choice is Darden over ISB becoz:

1. Need to move to a global level, did not feel that ISB can catapult me to the global scenario now. Yes, ISB has potential in the future and only way it can go is up but at the global level still it has a long way to go

2. I am against the same competition in terms of students, and wanted a different challenge and in terms of the work I want to get in to, I would have been at a disadvantage. Also, mostly Indians and no global diversity.

3. MBA is a one time investment more than money of time, better do it from a place which can hold stead for a longer time

4. Furthermore, 1 year MBA does not help the career switchers that much and chose to pursue a 2 year MBA

If you notice, I did not talk about money coz at both places you can cover the cost in the same period, in Yale you might pay 110 thousand dollars and get a job of 80 - 90 thousand, while in ISB you would pay 16 lacs and get a job of 10 lacs.

Hope it helps there are more reasons but you can PM.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Am i the only one to notice this: she didn`t say she HAS an admit to both, did she? the question was...is yale BETTER than ISB?

Sorry for the distraction...i have no inputs to this thread other than this
Am i the only one to notice this: she didn`t say she HAS an admit to both, did she? the question was...is yale BETTER than ISB?

Sorry for the distraction...i have no inputs to this thread other than this

hehe, good observation crash_test_dummy, and v correct. I have an admit from ISB but not from Yale. I've applied to Yale and if I get through then i need to take a decision ASAP. So i'm trying get all the facts and figures at hand so as not to waste time later.

Few ppl had mentioned to me that Yale is only a brand name but not such a great MBA school. Thats the reason I started this thread. Yale started as a non-business (MBA) school and created its brand equity over the last century. Its business school came much later, and I wanted to be sure that it has more than a name to fall back on, cos I am gonna be spending HUGE money on it.

I have already paid the deposit at ISB, plus its a 1 yr program and its cheaper to Yale. So if I do get thro, then I need to be sure of the advantages of Yale to spend so much money and give 1 more yr to it.

Yugita,

Well I will say Yale for the following additional reasons
1) If you get an admit in Yale U still have time to hear back from other schools.
2) Yale is a higher brand name, it has survived through the good times and the bad times. ISB hasonlys een the good times till now.
3) As for setling back in India it will not be a problem at all. I dont think U will mind working for a couple of years out of India after your MBA. You can just seamlessly return back to India in the same company U were working in abroad.

And dont worry too much about the ISB deposit its a small amount if U add it to the total cost of the yale MBA :-)

-Amit

OK...
I could recognise YALE...then what was the next one...uh..
I never heard this...kidding...
Go with YALE..
dont get fooled just because Bush has visited the school recently...:
Congrats....

Yale is the way.. there is no question about it, the b school at Yale is rather underrated according to me. They have excellent class demographics with very strong emphasis on the Non - Profit management, and thats what really interested me in the college. Will be applying for Fall 2007.

It would be advisable to list down the parameters which are important to you.

One of those parameters is "How known / recognized the school is". While considering this you could also ask yourself who should recognize your school? Is it friends and family or the recruiters?

Yale is a great brand and the school is very widely known, but where do you want to work post MBA? How well is the school known by the recruiters in the location / industry you want to work in?

As psycho rightly said, it is not a no brainer... Do some thinking, share and validate your thoughts... Ask for opinion regarding what other parameters should you be considering... But first of all, think...

Ok Guys,

The decision time is here. I got the admit from Yale!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I REALLY have to make the decision.

Well, since I was not quite expressive about the parameters for discussion earlier, here it is now -

1) Finance is not really a constraint. The earning/expense ratio are on similar lines for both schools and for me a good MBA matters most.

2) I would be 27 when I finish MBA from Yale, and since I am an unmarried female (I am being quite candid here, so that you guys can correctly assess my situation) I would be pressure bound to return back to India. I would get an opportunity to max work for a year in US post MBA i.e. till I'm 28. Long term I would anyways want to be in India.

3) My profile : Masters in Eco, work-ex 4 yrs. Currently in family business (Pharmaceuticals) since 3 yrs. I will not join the family business post MBA which means I am aiming at a career shift. Would 2 yrs be beneficial over a 1 yr program or it dsnt matter?

4) In India, within the business circle (i.e. recruiters) is Yale a well known MBA school? Its a brilliant brand name, but few ppl have told me that ISB is better known for business that Yale in India. I find that a little hard to believe, so your opinions are welcome.

On the whole, what i want is the better brand name, exprience and a school that would give me better opportunities to grow and of course better placement scenario.

Looking forward to your suggestions and opinions.

Ciao!

Yugs.

Hi Yugita,

In which round did you apply to Yale? Are round 2 results out?:wow: