Yagwa700+ (Q 50, V 37)

*Yet Another Guy with a 700+ :: * Hello everyone, I gave GMAT on 17th of this month and scored a 720 (50Q and 37V). Might not be a mindblowing score but I am happy! I would like to thank all the Puys for helping me out during my preparation…

Yet Another Guy with a 700+
Hello everyone,
I gave GMAT on 17th of this month and scored a 720 (50Q and 37V). Might not be a mindblowing score but I am happy!
I would like to thank all the Puys for helping me out during my preparation phase. PG was the first forum I joined after I decided to prepare for GMAT. The posts by the previous achievers were a great motivation for me. I have read almost all the posts in which ppl have written about their gmat experience.
Herez a gist of my preps and testing experience.
Preperation time : 3 and half months
Prep material used :
  1. Cracking Gmat - Princeton Review - Definitely the first book, anyone preparing for gmat, should pick up. I would say it is a very sweet book and fun to read. But be cautious! This does not have everything you need for GMAT. It is just a primer. However it will give you a gist of what is needed for GMAT. But if you feel you already have got a hang of GMAT you can skip this book.
  2. Kaplan Comprehensive - Verbal is good. But quant is hopeless. Infact I would like to make a statement. The math questions in any of the Kaplan books and test are very easy and if you are targeting a 50 in quant dont even look at the qunat section of any of the Kaplan books! I feel it would be a waste of time.
  3. Manhattan SC guide : The best theory and set of rules available for SC. But one suggestion. Please complete this before you start OG! It will definitely improve your accuracy rate. I used the CR & RC guide also but it is not good.

4. OG 11 & OG 11 VR Yes, the most important book of you entire preping phase. For this I will tell you what I used to do. I used to take a set of 25 questions and give 45 mins to solve them. If you do this way you get the exact amount of time per question that you get on actual gmat ie 1.8min/question. After solving spend at least another 45mins on analyzing those questions. Try to give a valid reason to yourself why you chose a particular answer and why the other 4 options were wrong (This method should be used specially for SCs. You should be able to give a valid reason to yourself why a particular option is wrong and why you didnt choose this one. And OG will help you a lot in this!)
  5. Kaplan 800: Verbal section is really good but again quant is bad, definitely not 700+ level questions.
  6. Manhattan Gmat archive (quants): Very tough questions! Definitely above what gmat expects you. But go through it once if you feel you are good at quant and you want atleast a 50 in quant.
  7. 1000 series : Didnt do much. Some 150 SC and 100 CR. They didnt have explanations so I didnt spend much time on these
Prep tests
  1. Gmat Prep : The best test available in the market and the closest you can get to an actual GMAT.
Gmatperp 1 700 (48Q, 37V) 25days before actual gmat
Gmatprep 2 710 (49Q, 38V) 7 days before actual gmat
  1. Kaplan test I feel these are the worst test available. The quant is much easier than actual gmat and verbal questions are so tough as if the questions have been designed for some literature arts graduates. I feel the tests are very demoralizing and not at all a true representation of the difficulty level of gmat.
  2. Princeton It has a screwed up scoring algorithm and the questions are much easier than the actual gmat questions. In one of the tests I just got just 2 incorrect questions in math and it gave me a score of 47!
  3. Manhattan GMAT CAT : The worst scoring algorithm of all tests! In one of the tests I got almost 20 questions incorrect in verbal and it gave me a score of 45 ie 99th percentile! That is bull shit! But the best part of test is the verbal section is good and difficulty level is quiet close to gmat. So if you can restrict yourself to around 10 incorrect questions in verbal section in this test it you would be shooting for a good score on the actual gmat. The quant section is extremely tough. Its a great achievement to finish the section in the given time!
  4. 800 score.com : This is one test, I feel, in which the difficulty level of the questions is very close to that of gmat. But again the scoring algorithm is bad! So my target used to be to get not more than 6 incorrect in quant and 10 incorrect in verbal (ofcouse the incorrect questions should not be clusters but rather spread out across entire section!) I feel this can give you a 50 in qunat and 38+ in verbal.
D-day!
There was nothing special about it except that I got a 700+. The AWA was ok. I know my writing skills are not very good. So I would be happy if I get a 5 in awa!
Both in math and verbal I feel I got the most difficult questions around the middle of each section. The questions towards the end of the section were relatively easier

Brief Profile:
Workex : appx 2years (by fall 2008 it will be 3 full years)
Working as a implementation responsible for one the best medical imaging framework.
Undergraduate degree: BE (tronix) from NITK, Surathkal with 74%
High school acads : quiet good (was a meritorious student in HSSC)
Extra currics: Mainly into organizing event in college as well as in the company.

congrats man, nice work. best of luck for your apping

A very good score nitiman. Heartiest Congratulations!!!

Congrats nitiman :thumbsup: ATB

Congrats nitiman!

Hi,

Me looking for apping partners.
The schools 5 schools i chose on the day of gmat were
1. UNC - Kenan flagler
2. USC - Marshall
3. MSU - Broad
4. Purdue - Krannert
5. NUS, Singapore

M not sure of applying to purdue and NUS. I chose these options just to be on a safer side. Also I might include Duke, Tuck and Cornell in the list...
Anyone planning to apply to these schools?

Hi,

Me looking for apping partners.
The schools 5 schools i chose on the day of gmat were
1. UNC - Kenan flagler
2. USC - Marshall
3. MSU - Broad
4. Purdue - Krannert
5. NUS, Singapore

M not sure of applying to purdue and NUS. I chose these options just to be on a safer side. Also I might include Duke, Tuck and Cornell in the list...
Anyone planning to apply to these schools?

why exactly r u keepin purdue in 'not-sure-to-apply' list?any specific reasons?

Congrats Man !!!!

Congratulations nitiman. That's a pretty good score :)

ATB for the apps :thumbsup:

Could you share your profile here

Hi
Do u have those Manhatten Material with u.
These 7 Books comes nearly Rs.9000.00
I am prepared 2 pay for it.
Please help me........

catastrope Says
why exactly r u keepin purdue in 'not-sure-to-apply' list?any specific reasons?

Purdue has always been a university good at technical stuff. infact some years back purdue used to offer an 'ms in industrial management' and only recently it has started to offer mba in various streams. Anyway, it definitely is one of the better schools and is still on my list. I need to dig deeper before i narrow down on my final schools.

So what about u? Done with gmat? Which schools u planning to app? I guess u were the one who started the bangalore thread right??
Purdue has always been a university good at technical stuff. infact some years back purdue used to offer an 'ms in industrial management' and only recently it has started to offer mba in various streams. Anyway, it definitely is one of the better schools and is still on my list. I need to dig deeper before i narrow down on my final schools.

So what about u? Done with gmat? Which schools u planning to app? I guess u were the one who started the bangalore thread right??

Okey...thanks for sharin ur knowledge...
yup...it was me who started b'lore gmat thread...hav booked my gmat for aug 16...delayed it due to sum issues...
still yet to work on B-school list....
pls keep updatin ur apping process....all the very best....

As expected I got a 5 in AWA (73%ile)
Is that too bad??

As expected I got a 5 in AWA (73%ile)
Is that too bad??

5 in AWA is pretty good nitiman, how are your apps shaping up? you're through with the first hurdle 😃
Govi Says
5 in AWA is pretty good nitiman, how are your apps shaping up? you're through with the first hurdle :)

Thanks govi.
I am not able to finalise on my schools. I am not able to understand the financial aspect!!
Can someone help me with the following questions?

. The appx expenditure for a good bschool for 2 years is 100,000$ to 120,000$. What are the possible finance options? How much loan can v get? The loan has to be taken in india or do the colleges help in this regard? Do you need a huge amount to be present in your account before you apply for F1? And finally what is the appx payback time for this loan??

Answers to any of the above questions or any helpful links are most welcome.
Thanks in advance..
Thanks govi.
I am not able to finalise on my schools. I am not able to understand the financial aspect!!
Can someone help me with the following questions?

. The appx expenditure for a good bschool for 2 years is 100,000$ to 120,000$. What are the possible finance options? How much loan can v get? The loan has to be taken in india or do the colleges help in this regard? Do you need a huge amount to be present in your account before you apply for F1? And finally what is the appx payback time for this loan??

Answers to any of the above questions or any helpful links are most welcome.
Thanks in advance..

Hi!

Congrats for a great score. I was pretty happy to see that we share same opinion about MGMAT tests especially the Quant Section.
I saw in one of your posts that Wharton does'nt figure in your list so I don't know how much this info may help you, however may be most colleges have a similar arrangement.

Any way for the finance part I read following in 'Diary' of an ex Wharton student 'Bala Sankaran' (Wharton Students Diaries)

Well, the news is something like this. Every person applying for Wharton Loan is actually eligible for 90% of the Wharton Citi Assist loan. (ROI Prime Rate with US co-signer or Prime Rate + 3% without one, sob sob I am in this category). The need' based loan criteria is only for deciding the remaining 10% of the loan that Wharton expects as Student contribution. Thus I guess those really' needy people out there can take confidence from this.
The moral of the story If you think you have it' in you to get into Wharton but plagued with fears of financial restrictions, JUST DO NOT WORRY! GET IN and let Wharton do the rest!

I too am hoping to apply for fall 2008 all depending on GMAT score. Aiming GMAT on 20 th June'07.
I am 35 now, and am hoping to switch from sailing (mariner) to management.
Target colleges Wharton, Chicago, Duke, Columbia, Kellog, Insead... Basically Top 10.

All the best with your apps.

hey great score mate ... congrats

im surprised you didnt even mention H/S/W in your list of colleges where you would want to app ... any special reason for this?

BTW, best of luck for your future processes 😃

Hi!

Congrats for a great score. I was pretty happy to see that we share same opinion about MGMAT tests especially the Quant Section.
I saw in one of your posts that Wharton does'nt figure in your list so I don't know how much this info may help you, however may be most colleges have a similar arrangement.

Any way for the finance part I read following in 'Diary' of an ex Wharton student 'Bala Sankaran' (Wharton Students Diaries)

Well, the news is something like this. Every person applying for Wharton Loan is actually eligible for 90% of the Wharton Citi Assist loan. (ROI Prime Rate with US co-signer or Prime Rate + 3% without one, sob sob I am in this category). The need' based loan criteria is only for deciding the remaining 10% of the loan that Wharton expects as Student contribution. Thus I guess those really' needy people out there can take confidence from this.
The moral of the story If you think you have it' in you to get into Wharton but plagued with fears of financial restrictions, JUST DO NOT WORRY! GET IN and let Wharton do the rest!

I too am hoping to apply for fall 2008 all depending on GMAT score. Aiming GMAT on 20 th June'07.
I am 35 now, and am hoping to switch from sailing (mariner) to management.
Target colleges Wharton, Chicago, Duke, Columbia, Kellog, Insead... Basically Top 10.

All the best with your apps.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I had read your profile when you had posted it on keya's thread. Its really interesting. The biggest advantage you have is your unique job profile itself.
I guess the only hurdle that stands between you and the ivy league is a decent gmat score. All the best for that!
Regards,
Nitiman
hey great score mate ... congrats

im surprised you didnt even mention H/S/W in your list of colleges where you would want to app ... any special reason for this?

BTW, best of luck for your future processes :)

Hi,
You need much more than a gmat score to get into H/S/W.
Moreover i belong to the demographically challenged group of Indian IT Male (IIM in short). With just 3 years of work ex in IT and a 720 it is extremely difficult to get into H/W/S.