XLRI Satellite Program PGCHRM 2009-2010

Hey friends I am starting this thread as we have very few information regarding such courses and would like to know more about this from ppl who have already completed or are still pursuing this course. _To know more about the Satellite …

Hey friends

I am starting this thread as we have very few information regarding such courses and would like to know more about this from ppl who have already completed or are still pursuing this course.

To know more about the Satellite programs from XLRI click here--> XLRI Satellite Programes

I have applied for the XLRI PGCHRM program from the Reliance Web World for the January 2009 session. I am an ERP consultant in an IT firm having 2yrs of work ex.
The interview for this course would be conducted in september 1st week.
PPl who have already enrolled and experienced this interview or have already completed this course....kindly guide me on the interview pattern and the guidlines to be followed to get through this institute.

I really need some help to prepare myself for this interview as i have no idea and found no one sharing their experiences on this.
PPl please share your experiences.

Thanks
Alagh

Hey PPl.....anyone with XL interview xperiences...please post your replies.....
Really in need of this.

Thanks
Saumya

Alagh, as you requested on the Why HR thread, I'm replying here.

I guess some questions that you should prepare yourself for are:

1) Why specifically HR? You're in a good functional domain, why don't you carry one with it?
2) Many people go for an MBA after 2 years in an IT firm. What do you think a certificate course will offer you?
3) How do you think you fit into HR, especially since you don't have HR experience already?
4) What do you know about HR? According to you, what are the strengths/skills of an HR professional?
5) What kind of job role do you see yourself in, after say 5 years of completing the course?

To know more about Genpact's HR policies, I suggest asking an HR person within the organization. And you can talk about the MT program, fun@work initiatives, offsites etc, as part of the HR fundae.

But, in any interview, the most important thing is to be natural, and come across to the panel as a nice, genuine person. All the best! :thumbsup:

P.S. I had a word with the SVP, HR....I won't take names here. 😉

Hey Sumit

Thanks for your post and guidance. :happy: I will do my home work and if any doubts or concerns regarding this course....i will get back.

Regards
Saumya

Hey Sumit

Thanks for your post and guidance. :happy: I will do my home work and if any doubts or concerns regarding this course....i will get back.

Sure Saumya....baaki interview mein I'm sure you know....they can ask you pretty much anything....even if you don't know an answer, you need to know how to react to the question. It'll be great if you can try and talk to a few more XLers at Genpact to get their views, and also if you can get a couple of mock interviews scheduled at some coaching center. I'm good friends with a couple of faculty members at TIME Gurgaon. Lemme know if you need their contact details....I'm sure they'd be glad to help. 😃

Hey....

Ur right! I should actually join TIME for some mock interviews....that would really help me workout my weaknesses and build in my strengths.
TIME Kailash Colony is closer to my place so i would prefer taking up the mocks there. So will go this weekend and talk to them in person if they can arrange for these mocks.
Thanks a lot Buddy!! :happy:

Cheers
Saumya

Folks, a small update...You can call up the insti and request for a conversation with the Virtual Classroom Coordinator, and ask him/her for help in speaking to some alumni of this program.

In addition, you can also request for a demo session, to understand how the internet classroom concept works, and if it suits your needs.

Plus, when you call up, you can also try asking about whether you'll be provided placement assistance.

All the best!

Hey Sumit

Thanks for the update. Directly speaking to the XL head of virtual classrooms would actually clear all the doubts and concerns regarding this course. Will request them if they could give us the contact details of some of the alumni folks.

Hi,

I am currently doing the PGCHRM course from XLRI. You do not need any kind of classes for the interview. It is a very general discussion and conversation with the faculty. They ask you things specific to your role. Also want to guage whether you will be able to manage the course with work. The interview does not last more than 7-10 minutes.
Let me also let you know here, that it is a very demanding course. I do not know of a 'non-regular' course as demanding as this one. Every week there are atleast 2 project submissions, and 1 or 2 exams. There are 23 subjects, and each subject is assessed through 2-3 means (quiz, group project, presentation, individual project, mid term exams, end term exams etc). So you can mulitply that for yourself and see how much you will be studying! So you need to have an organisation and family that is supportive of this decision of yours.
It gives you excellent learning- and most of the courses are very relevant to the current HR world. The professors are very highly qualified, and the network you make with people in your field is also of great value.
However, be prepared for a tough 14-16months! Only if you're committed, and extremely hard working will you be able to complete this course and gain value from it.
All the best!
Regards.

Hey Bani,
i too want to know about the HR course of XL. But i called up Hughes and they told me that the course has already been started 5 months back and the next batch will start only in April 2009. Can you please help me what i need to do for this. And will this course be beneficial for fetching a job in HR. i am an engineer and working in an IT firm for past 3 years and want to switch my career.
Please give your inputs, it will be really helpful to me.
Thanks.

Regards
Preeti

Hey Bani,
i too want to know about the HR course of XL. But i called up Hughes and they told me that the course has already been started 5 months back and the next batch will start only in April 2009. Can you please help me what i need to do for this. And will this course be beneficial for fetching a job in HR. i am an engineer and working in an IT firm for past 3 years and want to switch my career.
Thanks.

Regards
Preeti

I am also in same situation as ur's.....
Wanted to know more about this program and will it be helpful for me?
Hey Bani,
Thanks.

Regards
Preeti

Hey Preeti/Sandeep

You can also do this course from Reliance Web World. The last date for applying for the course is Sept 5th 2008. So i think you better hurry up if you want to get enrolled for the January 2009 Session of this course.
And as far as this course is concerned, it is an amazing course and very beneficial. XLRI is one of the Premier institutes for HR. They wont have any placements for us as this course is for working professionals but yes...i can assure that you can have a gr8 impact on your resume with this certification and will help ypou fetch an HR profile in a firm.

So all the best! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Hi Preeti,

I would suggest going to their website to keep updated of their admission dates. They have courses with Reloance and Hughes- so there are atleast 2 batches that start every year.
This course is benefitial for people who are in the HR field. It is unlikely that you will get an HR job based on this course. I would suggest first get into an HR job- recruitment being an easier part to get into, and then after a year start this course.
I would not recommend starting this course before getting into the HR field.

Regards,
Bani

I would suggest going to their website to keep updated of their admission dates. They have courses with Reloance and Hughes- so there are atleast 2 batches that start every year.

That's absolutely correct. 😃 And to get to know the important dates for the current program, please visit XLRI Satellite Programes
This course is benefitial for people who are in the HR field. It is unlikely that you will get an HR job based on this course. I would suggest first get into an HR job- recruitment being an easier part to get into, and then after a year start this course.
I would not recommend starting this course before getting into the HR field.

I'm sorry to slightly disagree with you, Bani. There are organizations that consider these certificates, and then there are those who don't. For example, an organization like Genpact encourages employees to take up these courses, and gives them growth plans accordingly.

On the other hand, if you decide to shift your base completely to say recruitment, you'll have to start from the ground up. Moreover, recruitment isn't quite the most satisfying of careers (for many people).

Hi Sumit,

I agree that the course has value. However, i disagree with the fact that you can get an HR job solely based on this course. Genpact gives an HR career option only to employees- however, would not hire a fresher in the HR field who has completed this course.(I am an ex-Genpact employee, so am familiar with this 😃 )

To get a good career opportunity in the HR field, you must pursue this course along with a job in HR. That is when it will be benefitial for you for furture job prospects as well as learning.

Another point to note here is that it is highly unprobable that a fresher will get an employee relations or generalist role- even if it is after this course. The first (and sometime easiest) way to get into the HR field is through recruitment, and then move yourself up.

Regards,
Bani

Hi Sumit,

I agree that the course has value. However, i disagree with the fact that you can get an HR job solely based on this course. Genpact gives an HR career option only to employees- however, would not hire a fresher in the HR field who has completed this course.(I am an ex-Genpact employee, so am familiar with this 😃 )

To get a good career opportunity in the HR field, you must pursue this course along with a job in HR. That is when it will be benefitial for you for furture job prospects as well as learning.

Another point to note here is that it is highly unprobable that a fresher will get an employee relations or generalist role- even if it is after this course. The first (and sometime easiest) way to get into the HR field is through recruitment, and then move yourself up.

Regards,
Bani

i totally agree that a fresher would not be able to bag those profiles with this course....but do you think i will be able to fetch the recruitment profiles during this course not from my firm but any other MNC...i would like to gradually make a shift in ER and other strategic profiles later.
alagh@84 Says
i totally agree that a fresher would not be able to bag those profiles with this course....but do you think i will be able to fetch the recruitment profiles during this course not from my firm but any other MNC...i would like to gradually make a shift in ER and other strategic profiles later.

Saumya, that certainly should be possible. I'll try checking with some HR friends of mine from various companies about the same, and let you know. :)

@Mods, this thread is pretty useful, with valuable inputs from Bani and Saumya. Can we please make it a sticky?

Hi...getting an HR job in recruitment in a smaller MNC as a fresher might not be very difficult. Just remember you will be starting from scratch. Once you have some experience in recruitment, you should try getting some generalist/ ER experience in the same organisation. This is because if you dont have experience in ER, you will be unable to find a job outside (because then you will again be a fresher in ER!).

Getting jobs in consultancy firms (head hunting) is rather easy- however, then it is extremely difficult to move into MNC's, and further more difficult to get into an ER role after that.

Also- dont hesistate taking up a contractual job. Many companies have HR professionals on a contract- and it is a good start to your HR career. However, it ofcourse totally depends on your prior experience etc as well.

All the best! and do let me know if you need any other help!

I am having 2 yrs of work ex as an erp consultant in genpact. So i mite look for some HR ex in genpact itself...and then later look for gd profiles after this course compltetion.
Thanks for the information you shared Bani. :-)

Cheers
Saumya