XLRI GMP: One Year PGDGM Program

Hello everyone, I’m Daya Nand Katyayan from the current XLRI GMP (General Mangement Program) batch. This is a 1-yr full time residential program, awarding a Exec-PGDGM degree. This thread is meant for those of you who are interested in …

Hello everyone,

I'm Daya Nand Katyayan from the current XLRI GMP (General Mangement Program) batch. This is a 1-yr full time residential program, awarding a Exec-PGDGM degree.

This thread is meant for those of you who are interested in pursing a
1-yr course, and want to know more about XLRI GMP program. I and my
colleagues will do our best to answer your queries. Let me give a short background on this program. The GMP program was started more than 5 years back, as a requirement was felt to train managers from Tata Steel Ltd. Until 3 years back, this was a purely company sponsored program. 3 years ago, it was opened to self sponsored candidates via GMAT & XAT.

Features of the program:
1. 1-yr full time residential program.
2. Dual speciliazation offered. Electives are - Finance, Operations
Management, Marketing, Information Systems, HR, Economics/Strategic
Management
3. XLRI brand name!!
4. LATERAL PLACEMENT OFFERED FOR LAST 3 YEARS. LAST YEAR AVERAGE SALARY WAS INR 17.8 LAKHS
5. Amazing batch diversity - work exp from 5 yrs to 20 yrs. Excellent peer learning - levels above the normal courses
6. A very cost effective course. Total package for year 2008-09, including fees, hostel, international immersion program etc - 8 Lks.

The application criteria for our batch was a minimum work ex of 5 years.

Batch profile for GMP08-09

Average GMAT score 690.77
1. Average Work Ex 7.37 years
2. Average age 29.63 years
3. Average International Exposure 18.56 months
So, feel free to shoot any questions.
Hello everyone,
I'm Daya Nand Katyayan from the current XLRI GMP (General Mangement Program) batch. This is a 1-yr full time residential program, awarding a Exec-PGDGM degree.
colleagues will do our best to answer your queries. Let me give a short background on this program. The GMP program was started more than 5 years back, as a requirement was felt to train managers from Tata Steel Ltd. Until 3 years back, this was a purely company sponsored program. 3 years ago, it was opened to self sponsored candidates via GMAT & XAT.
Features of the program:
Management
3. XLRI brand name!!
4. LATERAL PLACEMENT OFFERED FOR LAST 3 YEARS. LAST YEAR AVERAGE SALARY WAS INR 17.8 LAKHS
5. Amazing batch diversity - work exp from 5 yrs to 20 yrs. Excellent peer learning - levels above the normal courses
6. A very cost effective course. Total package for year 2008-09, including fees, hostel, international immersion program etc - 8 Lks.

Hello abcindia,

I am interested in applying for the 1 year GMP program offered by XLRI?

When will the online applications be accepted?

Like many other MBA colleges does the admission take place in cycles or will it be year long?

By what date the experience should be 5 years?

Will be there be any telephonic interviews for the Overseas Candidates.

Cheers,

Hi Daya!

Thanks for apprising the details in blog.
Myself kunal B.E Mechanical graduate, working as Team Leader in Sales & BD for India-Swiss JV Auto 2-Tier company & will be completing 3 years work exp. in july'08.

I am quite interested to proceed for MBA as the minimum work exp. requirement for most of B-schools of 3 years is completed.I wanted 2 pursue core in marketing & elective as finance.

When the admission for this 1-year course happens? Is it twice the year or once?
If i plan know to start off with GMAT preparation......when can i look forward to get admission if score as required in achieved.....

Can u apprise me with the list of B-schools in India where GMAT Score is accepted......

Looking forward to hear from you!

Regards

Hello abcindia,

I am interested in applying for the 1 year GMP program offered by XLRI?

When will the online applications be accepted?

Like many other MBA colleges does the admission take place in cycles or will it be year long?

By what date the experience should be 5 years?

Will be there be any telephonic interviews for the Overseas Candidates.

Cheers,

Hi! I am pleased to note the usefulness of this thread. As for as querries:
1. the date for counting 5 years will be 31st march of application year.
2. The last date of application will be announced later on , however, watch for Dec end.
3. It has one round of application process, unlike multirounds or rolling admission process of foreign universities.
4. I don't have any information regarding telephonic interviews. I will talk to my batchmets and then confirm. please note that there are many students in our batch who are working outside india.

I hope , I have clarified your querries. However, please feel free to ask any question.

regards
Hi Daya!

Thanks for apprising the details in blog.
Myself kunal B.E Mechanical graduate, working as Team Leader in Sales & BD for India-Swiss JV Auto 2-Tier company & will be completing 3 years work exp. in july'08.

I am quite interested to proceed for MBA as the minimum work exp. requirement for most of B-schools of 3 years is completed.I wanted 2 pursue core in marketing & elective as finance.

When the admission for this 1-year course happens? Is it twice the year or once?
If i plan know to start off with GMAT preparation......when can i look forward to get admission if score as required in achieved.....

Can u apprise me with the list of B-schools in India where GMAT Score is accepted......

Looking forward to hear from you!

Regards

Hi Kunal! normally, In India , the exprience counted is upto 31st march (end of financial year). So, check your eligibility on that basis. For example, IIMA require 7 years, IIML 6 years and XLRI requires 5 years of experience. However, ISB require only 2 years of experience as minimum. So, plan accordingly.
regards,

For this year, telephonic interviews were also conducted. So, that shouldnt be an impediment to apply to this course.

Hi! I am pleased to note the usefulness of this thread. As for as querries:
1. the date for counting 5 years will be 31st march of application year.
2. The last date of application will be announced later on , however, watch for Dec end.
3. It has one round of application process, unlike multirounds or rolling admission process of foreign universities.
4. I don't have any information regarding telephonic interviews. I will talk to my batchmets and then confirm. please note that there are many students in our batch who are working outside india.

I hope , I have clarified your querries. However, please feel free to ask any question.

regards

Hi abcIndia,

Sorry for bringing up the work experience eligibility once again. I intend to apply for the 2009 - 2010 session. I started working from October 2003. Kindly let me know what will be my effective work experience for XLRI GMP Programme.

Thanks in advance!
Hi abcIndia,

Sorry for bringing up the work experience eligibility once again. I intend to apply for the 2009 - 2010 session. I started working from October 2003. Kindly let me know what will be my effective work experience for XLRI GMP Programme.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Calculate your work ex till March 31, 2009. However, if you are on borderline, I would suggest go ahead and apply.

Dear aspirants, I have more data to share. In the current batch (GMP'08-09) GMAT score varries between 640 to 770. It is heatening to note that 2 candidates are having 770 GMAT score. However, GMAT score is not the only criteion for selection. your academics, work experience and Interview along with your GMAT score determine the selection.

Further, seats have also been increased from 60 to 110+, because of success of program.
GOOD LUCK.

PS: All the above data given is not provided by XLRI officially. The data is collected in google group of our batch. So, please evaluate the data in this perspective.

Hi Aspirants! here is the official report on GMP placement 2008.
GMP Placements 2008

XLRI General Management Program (GMP), one year full time management program, has concluded a successful season of placements for its 2008 batch. The batch has been offered plum roles - like AVP -Finance, Director, Associate Director, AGM Operations, Chief Manager, Managing consultant, Strategic Account Manager, Client Solutions manager, etc - clearly highlighting the potential of the participants to don middle and senior management roles. Also placements helped 30% of the batch change sectors where students had prior work experience. One participant opted out of the process to start his own entrepreneurial venture.

The process attracted 54 companies, as opposed to 23 last year, and made 101 offers to 53 participating students. The average salary of individual offers stood at INR 17.8 lakhs (an increase of close to 20% from previous year), while the highest domestic offer was INR 33.8 lakhs and the average of international offers was USD 130,000 (an increase of 30%). Sponsored candidates have also got elevated roles and middle/senior management responsibilities from their parent companies

The batch witnessed a good mix of participating companies from diverse sectors such as Banking, Energy, IT, Consulting, Manufacturing, Steel, Real Estate and Telecom. Arcelor Mittal, Reliance ADAG, Jindal Steel, DLF, Tata Communications, Cairns Energy, L&T; were some of the major recruiters of the batch. Few of the Consulting companies that participated are Mckinsey, Accenture, IBM S&C;, ICRA Management Consulting (IMACs), TCS Global Consulting, KSA Technopak. Axis bank, SBI Capital, ICRA, UBS were some of the BFSI companies that turned up for recruitment. IT/ITES majors like HP, Cognizant, Satyam, Wipro, Inautix, Hexaware, and Genpact participated.

"With just two years of organized placement support from the Institute, the one year General Management Programme of XLRI has firmly established itself as a source of quality talent for recruiters. There were a number of recruiters who personally expressed their extreme satisfaction with the quality of the participants. These positive comments reinforce our belief that we are doing things right as far as our one year programme goes." quoted Prof. Uday Damodaran, Chairperson of the Placements at XLRI.

The placement season was held during 2nd week of February at Mumbai followed by rolling placements in March at Jamshedpur. The process was aimed at offering flexibility to the students and recruiters to find the right fit, as the participants were potential middle and senior management candidates with experience ranging from 5.5 to 15 years, with the average pegged at 7.5 years. Students also visited Australia as part of the international immersion introduced in the curriculum from this year. From the next batch, the immersion module is expected to include various options for students, with the tie-ups that XLRI has with major universities across the globe. XLRI has plans to increase the student intake from the next batch, due to high response from industry.

Thanks a lot for the information. Will be grateful if you could give your email id please. Mine is [email protected]

kapil_mss Says
Thanks a lot for the information. Will be grateful if you could give your email id please. Mine is [email protected]

Hi Kapil! at public forums like this, please don't share your email address. If you need any information , you can ask on this thread or you can PM me.
regards,
XLRI to double GMP intake for 2008-09
Jamshedpur, May 12 Premier B-school XLRI is set to double its intake of candidates for the one-year general management programme (GMP) course, from around 53 last year to over 100, for the 2008-09 academic session.
"XLRI is also planning to expand international exposure for the students through tieups with major universities across the globe," said Father Abraham, director XLRI, speaking at the graduation ceremony for the 2007-08 batch.
According to associate dean (GMP & defence programmes) Pranabesh Ray, the B-school had selected only 61 out of the 1,552 valid applications it had received for its 2007-08 GMP batch.
XLRI has been increasingly attracting managerial talent for its GMP course from across the country. The ratio of the number of applicants spurted 152% for the 2007-08 session.
The B-school has enriched its GMP course recently by reducing number of core courses to 14 by introducing long-duration courses for an integrated coverage of the subject. In addition, the number of optional courses has been increased from 12 to 16.
Besides focusing on basics as well as advanced concepts of management, the course also provides international exposure in the form of internship and projects.
XLRI's 53-student batch of 2007-08 session received 101 job offers from 54 Companies, as against 23 last year, in completion of their course. The average salary of the batch for global and domestic assignments increased by 20 to 30% at $1,30,000 and Rs 17.8 lakh, respectively.

Ref: XLRI to double GMP intake for 2008-09

Hi abcIndia,

ThanQ for a such an informative thread and taking time to answer the queries.

I am looking forward to attend the 1year program at XLRI starting 2009. I am giving my GMAT in Aug and 2009 May, I should be completing 5 year work experience.

1) Is the work experience sufficient?
2) Is only GMAT required or do i need to take another exam?

Thanks
Rav

I dont think it will be a problem if your profile is good ..In our batch there are many people with 5 years exp. I have seen people with 10+ years getting a rejection and people with just 5 years exp get thru. It all depends on your overall profile and the value you can add to the batch.

GMAT is sufficient.

I dont think it will be a problem if your profile is good ..In our batch there are many people with 5 years exp. I have seen people with 10+ years getting a rejection and people with just 5 years exp get thru. It all depends on your overall profile and the value you can add to the batch.

GMAT is sufficient.

Per the eligiblity criterian this year, it was 5 yrs as on 31 March 2008. In your case it might be 2 month less than 5 as on 31 march unless the criterian is changed next year.
In any case, you could drop the adcom a mail for your specific case.

Hello everone,
I am Vikram,recently i have become a member in PaGaLGuY GuY.I am preparing for Gmat probaly i will take my test after couple of months...Anyways actually i am intrested in Exec-PGDGM with XLRI.
I have around 3 years of expirence in software industry(software engineer),i want to know whether i am eligible for this course???or i have to wait for two more years.
Knidly reply to me

NOTE: i also want the list of B0schools in India which are offering for Oneyear program for 3 years of expirence
regards
Vikram

Hello everyone,

Features of the program:
Management
3. XLRI brand name!!

This year adcom has strictly followed the dictum of 5 years experience on 31st March'08. However, I think the borderline cases like yours may be seen sympathetically. So, please send a formal letter to adcom regarding this.

Best Wishes,

Hello everone,
I am Vikram,recently i have become a member in PaGaLGuY GuY.I am preparing for Gmat probaly i will take my test after couple of months...Anyways actually i am intrested in Exec-PGDGM with XLRI.
I have around 3 years of expirence in software industry(software engineer),i want to know whether i am eligible for this course???or i have to wait for two more years.
Knidly reply to me

NOTE: i also want the list of B0schools in India which are offering for Oneyear program for 3 years of expirence
regards
Vikram

Hi Vikram! For XLRI you need to have 5 years experience on 31st March of application year. So, you have to wait for 2 years if you are interested in XLRI. In the same way IIMA requires 7 years work ex as minimum requirement. However, you may try ISB (2 years minimum requirement) or SP Jain.

With Best Wishes.