XLRI ENSEMBLE 2003-Let there B-Light

XLRI JAMSHEDPUR presents ENSEMBLE 2003 Come November 7, the Managers-in-the-making from the finest Business Schools across the Asia-Pacific will come down to the campus of XLRI School of Management to take part in one of Indias biggest annu…

XLRI JAMSHEDPUR presents
ENSEMBLE 2003

Come November 7, the Managers-in-the-making from the finest Business Schools across the Asia-Pacific will come down to the campus of XLRI School of Management to take part in one of Indias biggest annual B-School Fests, and XLRIs magnum opus, Ensemble. Version 2003 will be the grandest iteration till date, with all regular events in symphony with a few debutants. This year the Extravaganza has been scheduled for November 7 to 9 in the cool climes of Jamshedpur.

In fact, Ensemble has already kicked off with Xhume the nocturnal online treasure hunt, being organized by SOCRATES (SOCiety for Rapid Assimilation of TEchnology and Systems) the event starts at an incredible 10 pm extending for the next two hours, with this being the routine for 10 full fun filled days of excitement. This online quiz checks contestants ability to search with a sieve for right answers on the internet by deciphering the cryptic clues given to them.
If the Siddharth Basu Quiz took the cake last year, the flagship event for Ensemble 2003 is Assembly Xtreme, which is a test to display the ability of 3 member teams to work in concert. The focus is on sustained team effort over a series of sub-events from Wall Street, to board room meetings, to drawing up complex business plans. A phenomenal Rs. 75,000 is up for grabs all to be shared by one team of three members! The battle lines have already been drawn, with 8 finalist teams from across campuses.

Each Society has events that are designed to test the Management aptitude of contestants.

The Association for STrategy and EntRepreneurship In XLRI (ASTERIX) is conducting XCogitate, the B-plan contest. Here, Teams were asked to identify a business opportunity, work on it, and develop it into a feasible, practical, profitable business plan. The 5 finalist teams on Campus will be put to test here, where they will be managing their dream on a real time basis. A live changing scenario will unfold during Ensemble and their reactions and efforts will be judged by an elite panel of practicing managers.

Building Research Initiatives for Developing and Generating Enterprising Solutions (BRIDGES) is organizing Lekh the biggest B-school paper writing contest in India, which serves as the forum for future leaders to display their academic and conceptual brilliance. The response to the contest has already been phenomenal with 315 papers coming in from different parts of the Country. 4 papers each have been invited for presentation from the functional areas of Marketing, Finance, Systems, HR/IR and Strategy.

The DRAmatics and CULtural Association (DRACULA) of XLRI has lined up two events. While Xquizzite, the Quiz Show hosted by renowned quiz master Parnab Mukherjee, will be the curtain raiser for Ensemble this year on November 7, the honours of signing off Ensemble go to Cacophonix, the Rock Show, plus laser lights and fireworks display. They promise to shake up Jamshedpur by bringing down the rock band Indian Ocean to perform live on Campus.

Fire@x (Forum for Industrial Relations At XLRI) is hosting Xtracts, a case competition. This is an exciting and Indias most prestigious IR case study, which would deal with the latest trends in the industry like redundancy, restructuring and compensation. The eminent faculty of XLRI, stalwarts in Industrial Relations will take the seat of judgement, here.

FINAX (Finance Association of XLRI), as always, will organize Poonji The Xchequer, the Stock Market Game, which allows teams to play the market in the simulated environment of a Stock Exchange.

The External Linkages Cell, XLRIs media Interface, has another B-School first for XLRI: Xpress, a media planning competition which stands out from the array of other events in one respect participation is exclusive to under graduate College students. Participating teams were asked to devise media plans that promote and market their respective Institutes. The response has been overwhelming, with entries virtually poring in from almost all parts of the Country. The winners in the four Categories print, Video, Audio and Web have already been invited and will be coming down on an all-expense paid trip as special invitees for Ensemble to experience the ambience of XLRI.

Ogilvy and Mather and MAXI (Marketing Association of XLRI) have the famed Advertix, the Ad-shop, in store for participants. This event covers the entire gamut of the advertising business. Teams will develop a complete advertising package including the strategy, creatives and the media plan for a brand, based on the brief given to them by the Agency.

XtremeBiz, a simulation game will make its debut in Ensemble this year. It combines the edge of the seat excitement of finance with the nail biting suspense of strategy and marketing and is to be organized in toto by MAXI and FINAX.
Ernst & Young and SAPPHIRE (Students Association for the Promotion of Personnel Management, Human Resources and Industrial Relations) have tied up for Xigency a Live Case Study Contest. Budding managers will be confronted with contemporary HR problems faced by organizations and will use their concepts and creativity to come up with practical and innovative solutions.

SAPPHIRE will also host Xactitude, the SappHR game. The event is multi-stage comprising changing scenarios and simulations, where teams of 3 members battle out with environmental forces in establishing and sustaining their superiority.
If it was an online treasure hunt prior to the Fest, it will be Xplore the live treasure hunt to be hosted by XLNC (XLRIs Nature Club) during Ensemble. This event will offer participants respite from the gruelling hours of case studies and simulations; an event where they can take a break and are amidst the puzzles of nature.

As usual, the corporates have been in active participation in Ensemble, with AIADA, Bharat Petroleum, BOC, Career Launcher, Ernst and Young, Nestle, Ogilvy and Mather, Sify, Tata Steel, Telcon, and Tinplate being prime sponsors of the Fest.
With the Fest round the corner, the best business minds have already started to descend on the Steel City and keen contests seem to be on the cards in Ensemble 2003. For more details of the fest one could visit www.xlri-ensemble.com.

Regards
Gaurav Kathotia 😃
External Linkages Cell
XLRI Jamshedpur

I have to say this was one heck of a fest ...

Well the moolah - to be grabbed - was way UP there - better than the best b-schools offer !!!

Let me substantiate -
Me netted "2 grand" for coming THIRD in a Treasure Hunt - named Xplore !

And if u went thru' the event list above - u wud realise tht it was lots for a not so heavy event.

Other events I dont want to publicise too much lest I attract way too much attention (read competiotion ) for next year's events !!!

Well that was THE richest b-school event ever !

NOW after Ensemble its now CONFLUENCE for Xman and me ,
a team of 6 naive ( or not so now ?!) punters head off to iimahd in a weeks time.

Hopefully we will not be fraxing majorly over there and come back with more than the travelling bag in hand !

over to PGites @ IIMA now. Can you hear our footsteps ? ( er well the train sounds atleast -coz dats how we will be coming over . If u hv major pull a.k.a contacts in the logistics/ hospitality comits and can reimburse our airfare - we wud be delighted !
u know how IceMan and me -humble- Mav are used to flYing around ) and bloody hell it saves 3 days of travelling time ...

Hiya Folks
Ensemble has been a major success this year as well, thanks to a dedicated effort pitched in by the seniors as well as the juniors.The fun part is that it had the participants and the audience alike asking for more :wink: . The following is a fitting report of this successful event.

Regards
Gaurav Kathotia

ENSEMBLE 2003 ATTRACTS RECORD PARTICIPATION; IS GRAND SUCCESS

Ensemble, the annual inter Business school festival of XLRI has just concluded and proved to be a grand success. A landmark event on the XLRI calendar, the extravaganza was held on November 7, 8 and 9. This effort by XLRI to bring the best of the industry and the student community together on a common platform had a tremendous response from across the Country.

Ensemble 2003 attracted participation from 22 Business Schools including all 6 IIMs; Faculty of Management Studies, New Delhi; SP Jain Institute of Management Research, Mumbai; Management Development Institute, Gurgaon; NITIE, Mumbai; IIT, Kharagpur; IIT, Mumbai; ICFAI, Hyderabad; IIFT, New Delhi; Symbiosis Institute of Telecom Management, Pune and XIM Bhubaneshwar.

Tata Steel and the Department of Industries, Jamshedpur were the prime sponsors of the event. Other main sponsors included AIADA, Bharat Petroleum, BOC, Career Launcher, Centre Point Hotel, Ernst and Young, Nestle, Ogilvy and Mather, Sify, Telcon, Tinplate, and UB.

Ensemble 2003 comprised a variety of events spaced out over the three days events designed to highlight analytical skills, innovation and the spirit of competition among the managers-in-the-making. The flagship event this year was Assemble Extreme which stretched over three days, and tested the skills of 3 member teams to work in concert in all functional areas of management: Finance, Marketing, Operations, IR and Strategy. The event had a phenomenal prize money of Rs.75,000 up for grabs all to be shared by one team of three members the biggest prize money offered this year in any single Business School Event. Symbiosis Institute of Telecom Management, Pune took home this grand prize.

Ensemble 2003 kicked off with the Annual Quiz on November 7 Xquizzite hosted by the renowned Parnab Mukherjee. IIM Calcutta walked away with the first prize, while 5 XLRI teams made it to the finals out of the total 8. The Quiz brought down the quizaholics of Jamshedpur who thoroughly enjoyed the 2-hour long final.

Poonji, the traditional Stock Market game was won by XLRI. Lekh: the biggest paper writing competition in the B School Circuit attracted 315 papers in 4 functional areas: Marketing, Finance, Systems, HR/IR and Strategy. Ad shop, hosted by Ogilvy & Mather and Advertix, a Strategy game were won by AICAR, Mumbai while Ernst & Youngs Xigency the HR Case Study Competition was won by FMS. Xtreme Biz the Marketing and Finance Game and Xtracts, the IR Case Study Competition were won by XLRI.

The External Linkages Cell had another B-School first for XLRI: Xpress, a media planning competition which stood out from the array of other events in one respect participation was exclusive to Under Graduate College students. Participating teams were asked to devise media plans to promote and market their respective Institutes. The entries were judged by an eminent panel and winners in the four Categories Print, Video, Audio and Web were special invitees for Ensemble.

Interspersed between there were also a number of fun events such as music competitions, treasure hunts, dumb charades and archery which kept the Campus lively over the 3 days.

The grand finale was Cacophonix: The Rock show where Indian Ocean performed live to an enthralled audience for over two and a half hours. The open air Lawn was a sea of humanity, eager to listen to Indian Oceans unique music, and none was disappointed. It was a fitting ending to a truly spectacular Business festival, which proved to be one of the biggest Business Festivals this year.

C'mon guys.. Every post of you folks seem to be of the kind.. "MY DADDY STRONGEST". Yaar sure, we would love to hear about the events, but a more personal perspective doesn't hurt.

LARGEST prize Money..BIGGEST Event.. Tell you the truth, who is really being impressed here ? 75K grand prize. That's a piddling amount for a Grand prize for a Bschooling event, or is everything relative ?

Let there be light, yes, don't burn your bschools too bright here and loose focus of how you guys actually started posting on the forums and how you've changed after getting into a Bschool.

Haven't seen any much semblance of objectivity from you XL'ers yet. C'mon folks, yes, XL is good, but we want to hear from YOU.

Cheers,

Hey Guys
Wanna see what XL looks like . I am attaching a few snaps of XL and of Ensemble as well. Pitch in with your viewsand comments.
Gaurav kathotia

Query # 1 :-
WHERE ART THOU ???? :shock: :shock:

Query # 1 :-
WHERE ART THOU ???? :shock: :shock:

Behind the Camera !

tsk tsk ... MOD bye-ass !!!

C'mon guys.. Every post of you folks seem to be of the kind.. Yaar sure, we would love to hear about the events, but a more personal perspective doesn't hurt

generalizations galore ! bah !

I can see a trend here !! ( if my memory serves right )

but a more personal perspective doesn't hurt.

duh ! boy ! what have I been posting all these days ... was it not abt the people here !!!

(refer XLer par Xcellence how much more personal can it get - speaking even on ABSOLUTE terms )

nah nah ... this was not expected frm Allwyn.

also wat wud u expect to hear abt ensemble - personal perspective ?

tht "I" won I place in extreme biz ( translates to 12k)

tht "I" won a prize a treasure hunt too !

tht "I" designed the xhume rounds ( well few of 'em atleast)

OR

tht "me XMAN" designed the whole damn site w/o outourcing ( am i being relative here ) ...

tht "me XMAN" ....

OR

tht "BOOZE" was sponsored n i got tully !

nah ... tht doesnt work ...

the time ( n mental states permitting ) .. this is always not possible ...
to go on an ego trip .. aprt frm the occasional lines u wud hv seen here n there

OR

one cud start off with creative writing skills on a raves/ramblings thingy ... abt how ......up my LIFE here is ... throw in the glitz/glamour ... bias ( junta ) opinion - ad infinitum

Haven't seen any much semblance of objectivity
.. poof ...

or is everything relative ?

u bet !

well make a start somewhere

and i'm not pointing fingers

'SPIRITually HIGH
'MaV

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

I had to fall
And lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

I really couldn't get your post.. You sure are HIGH on something

to express understanding or to deny tactfully (sic?) - the choice is yours and I see u hv made ur pick pretty evident.

Haven't seen any much semblance of objectivity

I really couldn't get your post.

:oha: Ignorance - Ad Infinitum :shock: :puppydog:
Objectivity be Damned

'regrds
MaV :infinity:

Forfeit the game / Before somebody else
Takes you out of the frame / Puts your name to shame
Cover up your face / You cannot run the race
The pace is too fast / You just cannot last

You like to think you are never wrong
You want to act like you are someone
You want someone to hurt like you
You want to share what you have been through
(You live what you learn)

PS: Soaring High and Falling Free, but Steady as CAN Be - thts Me -

PPS:
C'mon folks, yes, XL is good, ...
Did Kathotia express his doubt regding that ? Who seeked clarification on that anyways : :grab: :smilecol: :smilecol:
to express understanding or to deny tactfully (sic?) - the choice is yours and I see u hv made ur pick pretty evident.

Ah.. thats the best explanation you can come up with ? tsk tsk.

Did Kathotia express his doubt regding that ? Who seeked clarification on that anyways

I was making a general statement and frankly I still don't get what you are getting at. Why would Gaurav express his doubt on his own school ? Plus who talked about clarification. It is a general fact that XL is a decent Bschool.

You have the time to add colours, dozens of smilies and edit your post 2 times. Hell take the time to type out a decent explanation and we'd appreciate it better.

Rock on.
... You have the time to add colours, dozens of smilies ...

Exactly ! It took jst THAT to get you started

Fire your Memory & start your "train of thought" - it might lead u to what u already know and claim ignorance
Hell take the time to type out a decent explanation

Unfortunately, no-one can be told what the matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Neo goes for the red pill ...

Well I hv given you so many leads (lines!) now ...
Jst take a random line frm anywhere and trivialise the preceding post

go ahead. bang on.
over to PGites @ IIMA now. Can you hear our footsteps ? ( er well the train sounds atleast -coz dats how we will be coming over . If u hv major pull a.k.a contacts in the logistics/ hospitality comits and can reimburse our airfare - we wud be delighted !
u know how IceMan and me -humble- Mav are used to flYing around ) and bloody hell it saves 3 days of travelling time ...

plans cancelled ... we refused to look at the trainman's face again

today: got to watch the ind vs aus ckt match on big screen .. few enthu souls went to cal to watch "the encounters of final kind" LIVE ... poor chaps will come back tomm pretty disappointed !

matrix trilogy week: r8 ahead !

LOtsa things in b/w

term xams: dec 8-11th
term break: dec11-15th
during term break: outta watch the snow !

but on the other hand no going home till summers break :(

Cheerio
MaV