XLRI 1 Yr MBA (GMP) 2006-07 batch admissions.

Hi: I am Sathish, currently a student of XLRI GMP program (General Management Programe- The official name for 1 Yr program at XL). I have been getting quite a few mails on queries related to XLRI’s 1 Year MBA programme. since most of these qu…

Hi:

I am Sathish, currently a student of XLRI GMP program (General Management Programe- The official name for 1 Yr program at XL). I have been getting quite a few mails on queries related to XLRI's 1 Year MBA programme. since most of these queries were common, thought I should start a thread exclusive for the 1 year exec PG prog at XLRI.

Facts and general batch profile:

1) The programme awards you a Exec PG Dip in Gen Management.
2) Lateral placements is offered for non sponsored students of this programme.
2) It is targetted at people with Managerial workex of 3 yrs min.. The catch here is managerial work ex.. last year I know of a few people who were rejected as they didnt have managerial work ex. - So the average workex of my batch works out be around 5+.
3) Typical profile is overwhelmingly engineers. though there is a minority of non engineering too.
4) The current batch is a roughly about 50% sponsored candidates and 50% self sponsored.
5) The course depth is 32 courses, ( which is quite rigourous compared to the regular Business management courses which have 40 courses in 2 years)
6) The profile of my batch is a quite diverse. (as one would obviously expect). Last year students were from companies such as ITC, TCS, Tata Steel, Tata motors, Indian Air force, J Walter Thomson (advertising), Asian Paints, BEL, TCS, etc.
7) Course fees is rougly around 3 L. (all inclusive) making it one of the top exec programmes with the fast ROI in the country
8. As it is a full time residential programme, The same world class faculty and other resources of XL are available for the students of the programme.

Recruitment Process: ( you can also refer the innumerable threads on PG, which shall assist you in XAT and XL interview process).
1) Application form: Take time to fill in your application form, this shall matter a lot at the time of interview.
2) Take the XAT ( cant comment on the expected XAT cut off this year, as this course is growing in popularity, but a XATscore of around 90% should get you an interview call)
3) Interview : stress is more on you workex, and the value/ diversity you bring to the class.

I hope this brings some clarity.

Regards
Sathish Muthuswamy
GMP batch of 2006.
XLRI Jamshedpur.

HI Satish
this is ravi. i am marine engg. is engg. job is considered as managerial job. and is there any problem in applying for gmp as i am a marine engg. in taking bm programes there is no problem as my batchmate has done bm from xl. can u help me oput regarding this?

Hi satish

Vijay here. I am also prep for it ..Got three years of workex in Mncs but i have changed my field twice . I am right now working with IT company ..Does it makes a difference if aperson has worked in Different field

Hi:

I am Sathish, currently a student of XLRI GMP program (General Management Programe- The official name for 1 Yr program at XL). I have been getting quite a few mails on queries related to XLRI's 1 Year MBA programme. since most of these queries were common, thought I should start a thread exclusive for the 1 year exec PG prog at XLRI.

Facts and general batch profile:

1) The programme awards you a Exec PG Dip in Gen Management.
2) Lateral placements is offered for non sponsored students of this programme.
2) It is targetted at people with Managerial workex of 3 yrs min.. The catch here is managerial work ex.. last year I know of a few people who were rejected as they didnt have managerial work ex. - So the average workex of my batch works out be around 5+.
3) Typical profile is overwhelmingly engineers. though there is a minority of non engineering too.
4) The current batch is a roughly about 50% sponsored candidates and 50% self sponsored.
5) The course depth is 32 courses, ( which is quite rigourous compared to the regular Business management courses which have 40 courses in 2 years)
6) The profile of my batch is a quite diverse. (as one would obviously expect). Last year students were from companies such as ITC, TCS, Tata Steel, Tata motors, Indian Air force, J Walter Thomson (advertising), Asian Paints, BEL, TCS, etc.
7) Course fees is rougly around 3 L. (all inclusive) making it one of the top exec programmes with the fast ROI in the country
8. As it is a full time residential programme, The same world class faculty and other resources of XL are available for the students of the programme.

Recruitment Process: ( you can also refer the innumerable threads on PG, which shall assist you in XAT and XL interview process).
1) Application form: Take time to fill in your application form, this shall matter a lot at the time of interview.
2) Take the XAT ( cant comment on the expected XAT cut off this year, as this course is growing in popularity, but a XATscore of around 90% should get you an interview call)
3) Interview : stress is more on you workex, and the value/ diversity you bring to the class.

I hope this brings some clarity.

Regards
Sathish Muthuswamy
GMP batch of 2006.
XLRI Jamshedpur.

Can 3+ yrs in software industry be considered managerial work ex????

Is GMAT score accepted for this program. Can you tell us the profiles of few software engineers in your batch if possible?

HI Satish
this is ravi. i am marine engg. is engg. job is considered as managerial job. and is there any problem in applying for gmp as i am a marine engg. in taking bm programes there is no problem as my batchmate has done bm from xl. can u help me oput regarding this?

HI Gaurav:
* Nope, GMAT scores are not accepted, only XAT scores.

* Typical software engineer profiles for OUR BATCH ( may not indicative of the joining batch profile though) is TCS, Wipro, Infy kind of companies with 5 years av Work ex ( should have been a team lead/ project mgr).

* AGAIN our batch profile of S/w engineers- Good engineering college background ( one chap in our class is from IIT Mumbai and another from IT BHU - Varnasi)

Regards
Sathish
GMP, Class of 2006
XLRI
HI Satish

Hi Ravi:

The college is not specific on defn of managerial job, so as long as you have shown some leadership capabilities and are able to bring diversity to the class you should have a chance. * FYI, there is a person in my class with a Air force background.

As for BM courses, yes you can apply but stats is there are just 3-4 students with more than 4-5 yrs work ex in a whole batch of 190. so if you are experienced, GMP may be a better course for you. but then I advice you to look at your options too.
Hi satish

Vijay here. I am also prep for it ..Got three years of workex in Mncs but i have changed my field twice . I am right now working with IT company ..Does it makes a difference if aperson has worked in Different field

Hi Vijay:

Its difficult to say, it heavily depends on the company and the quality of work you had done.. as long you are able to justify the change, it is not a major hurdle I guess.

Regards
Sathish

thanks a lot satish..... i emailed the admission committe and got a reply today that they would accept gmat as well for GM program. Can you please clarify on this? Also if i am applying thru gmat scores then what form am I supposed to fill in? Is there any minimum cut off for gmat if at all it is considered.

hi satish,

I am interested for XLRI's GPM( 1yr prog) 2006-2007 .
I registered for XAT-2006 . then I registered for XLRI where I choose GPM as the prog opted for.
you mentioned about filling apllication form. I did not understand what yor are talking about. I can remember a details online form was to be filled up at the time of XAT/ xlri registration. are u talking about it.??

I have sent the print out of PA form to XLRI.

also I want to know is it possible for me to apply for BM or PM?IR program with the same XAT ID.

HI Gaurav:
lemme chk on this GMAT thing again with the admissions and revert back soon.

Sathish

hi satish,

I am interested for XLRI's GPM( 1yr prog) 2006-2007 .
I registered for XAT-2006 . then I registered for XLRI where I choose GPM as the prog opted for.
you mentioned about filling apllication form. I did not understand what yor are talking about. I can remember a details online form was to be filled up at the time of XAT/ xlri registration. are u talking about it.??

I have sent the print out of PA form to XLRI.

also I want to know is it possible for me to apply for BM or PM?IR program with the same XAT ID.

HI Baishakhi:
What you have done seems ok, by " filling the form" I meant the online application form. Just a note.. Make sure you take time to fill it correct the first time itself, ( I dont how it is this time, but last time we were allowed to edit it till the time of interview).

Nope you can apply to only one Program at XL at a time, so you need to decide between BM/ IR or GMP.

Hope this clarifies
Sathish

if gmat is accepted can you also check which what form would be needed to be fillied by me in that case. thanks a lot

Hi sathish,

Can u confirm whether a this program(XLRI-GMP) is equivalent to any other PG MBA courses.
And after this porgram r we eligible for doctoral programs in India & Abroad.

can you give us a little bit idea about the placement after GPM of it's first batch??

Any New on GMAT front buddy?
The dates are approaching

baishakhi3 Says
can you give us a little bit idea about the placement after GPM of it's first batch??

Hi Baishakhi:

The placements for GMP shall be along with the regular LRP ( lateral recruitment programme) of the college. but unfortunately as this is a relatively a new course, we dont have any statistics ( or specific details) to fall back on..

but you might check the XLRI general placements statistics to get an idea.

Sathish

Hi Sathish,

Could you gime sum idea about GMP prog. at XLRI, as in wht cutoff to expect and kinda interview they have for exp ppl?? Is it more grilling than the BM interview? SOme one also help me out with preps for XAT as i 've just decided to appear in GMP 2006 and have not done any homework yet.

Also what is the batch strength?

Most imp., I have around 4 years of work ex out of which 2+ in consulting profile, but the exp. is not wht u would call "managerial". I called up admission office and told them my profile, they said being from consulting i can still apply for GMP. Your take on that.

Regards,
Me

tis_meView Public ProfileSend a private message to tis_meFind More Posts by tis_meAdd tis_me to Your Buddy List

hi Gaurav
GMAT score is accepted only for Foreign/NRI applicants..Indian applicants to give XAT to be eligible for GMP