XL-IIMC : The mother of all B-school sports events

XLRI beats shell-shocked IIM Calcutta in 33rd Annual Clash of two traditions The Only Sporting event of its kind in Indian B-School Circuit Concludes with Comprehensive win for XLRI by 13 8 margin Congratulatory messages continue to str…

XLRI beats shell-shocked IIM Calcutta in 33rd Annual Clash of two traditions

The Only Sporting event of its kind in Indian B-School Circuit Concludes with Comprehensive win for XLRI by 13 8 margin

Congratulatory messages continue to stream in from Alumni across the Corporate world

XLRI IIM C MEET: THE HISTORY
In the early 1970s, the students of the two Schools felt the need for a lasting relationship that would facilitate an exchange of ideas and thoughts and also to have some fun. Though the institutions were separated by only a few hundred kilometers, there was hardly any meeting between them prior to that.
So, they planned an annual rendezvous wherein they would participate in academic seminars, presentations and some sports over a weekend in winter. Over the years, as new generations entered the portals of both Institutions, the raison d'tre behind the meet - exchange of ideas, thoughts, etc. - started tilting more towards another arena, which forms the mainstay today: what was originally included along the sidelines to generate interest and have fun - sports - started taking centre stage.
Now, every year in September or October, the students of the two Institutes meet at either of the Campuses in what has been dubbed the "mother of all sports meets". The venue alternates between Jamshedpur and Calcutta.

This was supposed to be a cakewalk. What happened?
The IIM Calcutta Contingent was left shell-shocked after the two day battle for the coveted Tata Tinplate 33rd Annual XLRI IIM Calcutta Trophy drew to a close. XLRI convincingly claimed the trophy by beating the IIMCians 13-8.

We knew we could win the trophy the moment we won the cricket match against all odds. In true India-Pakistan style, the match had a nail biting finish with XLRI having to score 3 runs in the final 2 balls, which attitude-wielding batsman, G. Harikrishnan wound up with a stylish 4 off the last ball . The defining moment was winning the badminton match against them, which had Vijay Lancy, a player who represented India in the international arena. The extremely competitive Mens Badminton match saw a tough fight. The result was a tie in the singles round, with people waiting eagerly to see the result of the deciding doubles match scheduled for the following day, which swung in XLRIs favour: the tie break Badminton match saw XLRI winning the final set.

The campus was charged right from the moment the IIMCians landed at XLRI. The first event was womens throw ball, which was won by the XLers, and within no time XLRI won four events, and the trend set at 4-0 in favour of the XLers; things were looking very rosy indeed. But IIMC fought back, and levelled the scores by the end of the first day, which set up the stage for a crucial day two.

The deciding factor of the meet was the girls events. Our women played really well. Also, XLers offered tremendous crowd support, turning out in large numbers to cheer players irrespective of the time of the day. In Mens and Womens tennis, Squash and Chess, the honors were equally distributed with the IIMCians winning both the tennis categories and XLRI taking the points for Chess and Squash.

The IIMCians took the points for the Men and Womens table tennis, while XLers stole the show winning all categories in Athletics. The Men and Womens Volleyball matches that followed, though, saw the IIMCians win by a huge margin. The scores stood precariously at 7-6 now, in IIM Cs favour. The victory for them was short lived though, with XLers winning consecutive events Bridge, Carrom, Football (2-0), XLRIs homegrown Frisball and both Mens and Womens Basketball events later.
Its 33 years.

XLRI stamped its authority on the meet by beating IIM C over the whole range of events, from intellectual sports like chess and bridge, to traditional physical sports like football, basketball and cricket. And this in spite of having a much smaller batch size and far fewer sports facilities than IIM C, thus proving that quality beats quantity.

In true traditional style later that night, the two rivals put up a Rock Show and the Prize distribution ceremony was held with XLRI taking home trophy. The guests bid adieu to XLRI in the wee hours, extending invitations for the meet which is to happen next year at Kolkata, and promising to avenge the heavy defeat suffered this year. Awards were also given to the best sportsperson from both teams (Atul Mehta of IIMC and Vikram Dani of XLRI), based on their contribution throughout the meet.

The sponsor for the event was The Tinplate Company of India, headed by Mr. Bhushen Raina, an alumnus of XLRI and also the National Head of the alumni network.

Once news of the comprehensive win spread among XLRI Alumni through the numerous Yahoo groups on Monday morning, there was widespread jubilation across corporate offices. Congratulatory messages continue to come in for the feat; in fact, alumni have also written demanding commemorative T Shirts as special souvenirs. Suffice to say how closely they identify with the meet.

Whatever be the end results, the meet ended up commemorating the universal spirit of sportswith many friends being made and enemies being won.

Yours truly won the Table tennis match once again 😁 but lost the event as a whole. 😞

Regards
Gaurav Kathotia

o yea,i was there n i must say that was something to remember.n congratulations to the XLers n tnx fr all the fun we had.

kathotia Says
Yours truly won the Table tennis match once again but lost the event as a whole

and this yours truly won Football again 😁 and the event as a whole :)

Few highlights

*The iimc volley team was damn impressive

*vijay lancy was good to watch

*Throwball event for women was atrociously funny - whoever invented this game !

*both teams tshirts were chussu - i guess both the sports secys had mutually agreed to bring out pathetic tees for the meet.

iimc had "X is variable C is constant"or sumthing like that.. To that SMAXI had to say during the meet,
"yeah sure iimc is constant at 0 and XL is variable coz its winning "

THE XL version of tshirts had - "3 decades 2 bschools Both try but only 1 XLs" ..ummm..er

The limited edition 2nd xl tshirt had "Bend over and Dont scream" written over it. I was wearing the second one. 😁

Overall t'was a fun sports meet - met a few seniors from engg. college and of course our very own Bharatram was rocking in Baro-C music band !

Gaurav please post some pictures
cooldude @ Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:28 am Says
o yea,i was there n i must say that was something to remember.n congratulations to the XLers n tnx fr all the fun we had.

im more than sure, you will all make our stay next year equally memorable.

and hope the meet to be equally if not more charged up. Alucard where are yu no comments.

chalo ciao.

PS:- please keep lancy away from the stage 😁 😁 ....

XLers congrats and rejoice, I wud even suggest that U party hard this year.Because even U know that ur happiness will shortlived ( 1year)

Hi
I don no how we guys are forgetting the memorable cricket match..xcitementwise passion wise n masala n abuses wise..it was no less thn an indo-pak classic...

IIMC batted first and scored somethin like 153 in 25 overs.
and thn XL came to bat..and fast forwardin ...Xl needed 3 runs to score..in 2 balls..supporters of the Bschool were literary on their edge of mental stability ( Think of the kind of abuses u have to digest after u lose the game...)..
thn our own lill master Hari hit a four in the one but last ball to clinch the gr8 XL victory. .. i still cant forget the gr8 pitch invasion we had after...the wining shot...
assum...assum i hope someone must have picked it up in the camcord..

I m still feeling sorry for Gandham (the long on fielder of IIMC )

Congrats XL!
Awesome show!
I was getting daily commentary from some of my friends in the second year at XL.

Incidentally, for the first time ever, IIMB and IIMK will face off in the inaugural IIM-IIMK meet in October!
Will keep you all posted on that :wink:

Incidentally, for the first time ever, IIMB and IIMK will face off in the inaugural IIM-IIMK meet in October!

That should be fun! Bangalore guys have already started practising intensely for this

Hi frnds

I completely agree with all the messages posted above.It was really a great experience to be at Xl for the meet.They were a nice host and did pretty good job of it.I met some very nice people out there and it wud be very fair to say that these XL guys really made our stay wonderfull out there.

The sports meet is just an excuse,the real thing is the meeting so many people.

About the sports scoreline that was said in the first msg I beg to differ it was 11-8 in gavour of XL and not 13-8 as said because 2 events,carrom and basketball could not be completed.

Diwakar Vijayvergia

Yeah .. we will kick ass

theking @ Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:13 am Says
Yeah .. we will kick ass

Haha yeah, it some sports it will be a David v/s Goliath contest.
We've heard some good things about your football team - we're just about putting together 11 players!
Our women's badminton team is practicing earnestly every night under lights, under the able tutelage of our men's team which includes two national-level players who are picking up their racquets after years!
Hehe hope I haven't given away too much inside info .. but yeah, we're looking forward to this meet - should be loads of fun!

XL-IIMC is back
19th Feb-20th Feb

XL-IIMC is back
19th Feb-20th Feb

and... IIM C wins YET AGAIN !!!!

And again! πŸ˜ƒ It was just a rout.. 11-1... will get worse? I hope not..

adabass Says
And again! πŸ˜ƒ It was just a rout.. 11-1... will get worse? I hope not..

Certainly it will get better with 9 games left

Overall Standing 35-5 in favor of IIMC

Well played Jokars.........But XL will be back with a vengeance.

The only Joke we understand is about 'C'men .

cheers,

The One

We are going to bounce back.. well played 'C'.. had a great time.. met a few old friends..!! Can't wait to give it back to the Jokars at XLRI next time...

When will XL bounce back??
I mean 35-5!!!!!....Are you people not fed up of losing...??

Final tally 13-3

Most of the wins this season were one-sided
Overall standings 35-5.

XL-IIMC-IIML-XIMB this year

06/08/2011

Clash of the Titans

Lets head over to XLRI