Working Holidaymaker Visa - UK

Hi all, Based on discussions in some other threads, I found some information on the subject visa and am sharing it for everyone’s benefit. I picked this data from some sources but have no personal experience in this category. Here goes: *Requi…

Hi all,
Based on discussions in some other threads, I found some information on the subject visa and am sharing it for everyone's benefit. I picked this data from some sources but have no personal experience in this category. Here goes:
Requirements for Working Holidaymaker Visa

  1. You have to be a Commonwealth Citizen or British Dependent Territories Citizen or British Overseas Citizen between the ages of 17 and 30 years of age.
  2. You can come to the UK for an extended holiday for up to two years and can take up work incidental to your holiday. You will not be allowed to do business in the UK or work as a professional sports person. This probably means that you cannot do high level work.
  3. You can only work for a maximum period of twelve months in the UK over the two year period.
  4. You should have planned your employment so that it is an integral part of your working holiday. For example, you may have decided that you wish to spend some time in London and so also wish to find work in London.
  5. You should be single, or are married to someone who also qualifies as a working holidaymaker and wish to both be working holidaymakers.
  6. You do not have any dependent children who are aged five years or over, or who will be five before the end of the two years as working holidaymaker.
  7. You should have enough funds to support yourself until you find work without requiring public funds. You should probably have enough money to support yourself for the first month.
  8. You are able to pay for a return ticket or have at least enough money to go onto another destination.
  9. You intend to leave the UK at the end of your working holidaymaker status. If you wish to work longer under the working holidaymaker scheme this will only be possible under the Innovators, HSMP or Work Permit categories if the occupation is on the designated shortage occupations list kept by Work Permits (UK). There may be alternatives to this depending on your circumstances.
  10. You can spend up to two years in the UK as a working holidaymaker. This two year period starts as soon as you enter the UK on this status and will last exactly two years. For example, if you enter the UK for six months and then decide to spend the following one and half years outside the UK you will have used up your two years as a working holidaymaker.
  11. If after spending two years in the UK you may be in a position to stay longer. There are many working holidaymakers who remain in the UK on an UK work permit, on the basis of marriage, as an unmarried partner, as a stdent, etc.
  12. You can take on any part-time or full-time job as long as this is incidental to your holiday. This probably means in practice that you can only do low level work say working in a bar, or as an admin assistant or working on a farm.
  13. You should be on holiday for at least one year out of the two year period on the working holidaymaker visa.
  14. You can switch to being a work permit holder after one year in the UK as long as the job is on the skills shortage list. However, you should note that work permits are normally only issued for high level jobs and where the employer can show that there is a shortage of people to fill the vacancy.
  15. You can switch to the HSMP after one year in the UK.
  16. If you are physically outside the UK you may have a greater choice of visa categories for entry to the UK.
  17. You must apply for a visa at your local British Embassy or Consulate. You cannot apply to remain as a working holiday maker from within the UK.
  18. You will have to meet the particular requirements at the British Embassy or Consulate. It will probably be easier to gain entry if you are a national of a Country with a high average standard of living such as Canada or Australia compared to being a national of say India or Bangladesh where many people are still very poor.
  19. If your visa is granted there will be an endorsement in your passport granting you leave to enter the UK. This is called an entry clearance certificate. You can request that this visa is valid for up to three months.
  20. It is unlikely that you will be refused entry to the UK if the visa is issued. Typical reasons for refusing entry are if you have made false statements when you made your application or if you have failed to disclose important facts in your application. It is also possible that you will be refused entry if your circumstances have changed since you made the application.
  21. It is probably a good idea to have a copy of your visa application with you in your hand luggage when you arrive in the UK in case you are questioned by an immigration officer.
Application procedure
The procedures will vary depending on where you apply. You should check with the relevant UK Embassy or Consulate. Generally the following will be needed:
  1. You will need to complete form VAF1 the non-settlement visa form. If you have young children that meet the requirements for entry these can be included in the same form.
  2. If you have a spouse/partner who wishes to apply and meets the requirements he/she should also complete the VAF-1 form.
  3. You should have a valid passport or travel document.
  4. You will need to provide 2 or three passport photographs depending on the Country where you apply.
  5. You should pay the visa fee which is non-refundable and is normally paid in the local currency. The particular British Embassy or Consulate will have further details of this.
  6. You may or may not be asked for interview. This will depend on the practice at the relevant British Embassy or Consulate or on your particular circumstances.
  7. You may be asked for information about your financial position. This could be evidence of money in a bank account, etc.
  8. You may be asked for evidence that you have made firm travel plans. For example, evidence that you have deposited money with a travel agent.
Hope this helps.

hello sandeep bhai
thanks a lot for the reply and the long post though it was not very helpfull as major parts i knew.actually i need some first hand information from pplz who have recently applied(or are planning to apply) and got there working holidaymaker visa.

do u know of anyone who has come to uk on whm visa recently?would be of grt help if any such person is there on the forum?

sandeep and arunbhai,
do u know of any such forums or boards where ppl discuss and solve each other problems regarding uk visas?

sure there must be,i dont have any info abt these if u guys have any,
plz let me know.
waiting eagerly.


A couple of caveats on the subject:
1. The working holidaymaker (WHM) visa issued for 2 years allows you to work for one year only. This is enforced through stamping of your visa. So you need to bear that in mind.
2. Typically one could attempt to enter UK on this visa and then move onto HSMP once you have worked for 12 months. However, when you try to switch visas, you will have to meet the HSMP criteria then. This includes UK salary of 40k (current requirements) if you would be over 28 years of age (27k if under 28- consider the age when you would be applying, not your present age). So even if you enter UK on WHM visa and get a job too, unless you get that job with a basic pay of 40k or 27k, it is futile.
3. When you apply for WHM visa, be sure to mention in your statement of purpose that your primary aim is to visit, explore and enjoy UK as a visitor and that in order to sustain yourself, you would work in the UK.


I think it is futile to consider WHM visa as a path to a brighter future, greater career prospects and better opportunities. Ravi - you are forewarned. Do not let your ambition/dream/goal of going to the UK (whatever be the reason) stand in the way of clear, lucid and simple logic.


guys b prepared to wait for aqtleast 6 months if applying for this visa.i had applied more than 6 months ago and still waiting for an interview call.:grab:
also could u tell me if it is worth pursuing a C.A or Actuaries after an MBA