Hi ! I wanted to ask about the manner in which the work experience is evaluated in the admission process. How important is the reputation of your organization in which you are employed? Does working in an MNC Fortune 500 tilt the balance in your…
I wanted to ask about the manner in which the work experience is evaluated in the admission process. How important is the reputation of your organization in which you are employed? Does working in an MNC Fortune 500 tilt the balance in your favour?
The reason i am asking is coz i have 4 yrs work ex in a family owned SME enterprise dealing with the export of handicrafts. Even though the amount of job resposibilities in a small enterprise are more diverse and encriching, why the bias for reputed companies?
I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on it.
There are two viewpoints to this "traditional" question....
One set of people argue that working in smaller firms is better due to wider functional exposure, more responsibilities and better grasp of real challenges. These people argue that it is better to be BIG fish in SMALL pond rather than SMALL fish in BIG pond.
On the other hand, some people argue that big firms offer greater exposure in single function and gives deeper knowledge in that function. People with such experience can easily pursue the same function in MBA as specialization. After MBA, they can easily get placed in the same function for higher salaries.
While both viewpoints have significant point to prove, it is well-known that B-schools want both kinds of people. If 90% applicants are small fishes from big pond, then the remaining 10% applicants may seem to have more chances of getting in. True in one sense.... but finally, everything is law of averages... .
The people with real power punch are those who have work in smaller firm that they expanded to a global firm (with loads of responsibilities) and those who have held high positions in BIG pond.
You decide what's in for you....:)
i agree with whatever mumbai dude has said, but would also like to add one more point. Some schools have an inclination towards one of the two categories. I'm not saying that the entire class comes from SMEs or MNCs, but there is a slight bias. The reason being, that the school has to ultimately sell itself not only to students, but also to crporate recruiters and donors. If top wall street companies demand that they want to recruit MBAs who`ve worked in top MNCs before, then the school has to fulfill that requirement by selecting students who`ve worked in top MNCs. Schools that are high on entrepreneurship tend to select potential entrepreneurs, who usually happen to be from an SME background. So moral of the story, all work experience is valuable, you need to find the school that appreciates your work ex and considers it valuable based on it`s philosophy.
PS: UNC prefers applicants with workex at large MNCs.