Women MBA aspirants - 2010

This thread is for all women MBA aspirants for 2010. My profile: F/690/IT/Indian/Average acads/10 years experience Target school: ISB

This thread is for all women MBA aspirants for 2010.

My profile:

F/690/IT/Indian/Average acads/10 years experience

Target school:
ISB

Count me in...a dentist with 4 yrs work exp!
Test date-october

Target:ISB

Hi there,

I dont think segregating aspirants on basis of there gender may be such a good idea after all.

All are aspirants are working hard for there dreams be it Boy or a Girl,i dont think there is any difference in both.

and even if you do wish to start a separate thread for girls,can you be a little more elaborative on what agenda you wish to discuss over here,for which exam and so on,that will give a clear picture of what this thread is all about,i am afraid at the moment its looking like a very vague thread.

Regards,
Ankur

Hi, Thanks for raising your concern.
I don't see many women participating in the other threads. I think that a thread exclusively for women (men may also participate ) will make them contribute more. Most people will agree that women have different kind of concerns and career aspirations from men. I am not implying that women are less ambitious than men but may have very different circumstances. This thread gives all women a place to have a candid conversation about their lives, what they want from MBA and maybe get some encouragement from other women on pg.
Moreover women in MBA schools are looked upon as a separate demographic, so it may not be a bad idea to have a separate thread.

-TMW

This thread gives all women a place to have a candid conversation about their lives, what they want from MBA and maybe get some encouragement from other women on pg.
-TMW

Why should the reasons for doing MBA be different for a Male and a female. In a professional setting, I have not seen that a women is treated any different than a male and I am proud of that. That is an indication that the playing fields are level and confirms to what women activists are screaming for ages. Why do we want to put our vehicle in reverse gear and start talking about "women specific" problems and "women specific" ambitions?

If you read this correctly, this is not in disrespect to any women - infact the opposite.

Historically, much like MBA campuses, women have been a minority on PG. i'd love to see this thread really grow and hopefully have more members take part in this.

Step up women, this is your thread :)

p.s. to the two men who don't seem to want this thread, is there any specific reason for your opposition?

I am Vanita, GMAT date is Sept. I have 5yrs IT experience, based in New Jersey.

cheers

Hello Vanita,
Good to see you here. Please keep updating your progress. Is this your first attempt at GMAT? How long have you been preparing?

Welcome docsmile, Good to see you here. Is your GMAT date in october? Please share your profile and experience here.

Thanks
TMW

Hello All,

Its been quite a while since I posted on PaGalGuy... about two years, in fact; the same time that it took me to graduate from The University of Chicago Booth School of Business :-P

Thanks to this long absense, I don't expect most of you to know/remember me, though I was very active on PG a few years ago... I just got an email from Rahul at Pagalguy telling me about this thread and asking if I would be willing to show some moral support to other women in the same boat as I was in three years ago... And so here I am!

A few words of introduction... I'm Chicago Booth Class of 2009. I've made a move from IT Consulting (where I worked as a Techie and as a Business Analyst) to Strategy Consulting (I'm joining Booz & Co-- formerly Booz Allen Hamilton-- as an associate).. so yes, such a move is possible, even in a crappy economy.
My profile when I applied was
Indian ///IT /// Female ///GMAT 770 Q50 V46 ///Previous degree MCA with a GPA of 9.02/10/// Some community service /// Good Extracurriculars (Choreography, Music and Literature)
I'm also in the older range in my class, the MBA being my second masters... I also had 5 years of work-ex when I joined Booth.

So that's me in a nutshell. And now most of you will have figured out what questions etc you would like to ask me :-P

I also recognize that women do face some challenges unique to them; not that they are lacking in brains or ability, but just that they face some element of societal pressure that men may or may not face. For that reason too, I'd be willing to listen and advise to the best of my ability on issues other than core GMAT and applications. I've certainly gone through my share of such...

By the way, Men too have their own challenges; I'm just not qualified to comment/advise on those. :-P

I'm currently on vacation -- I graduated on 14 June and start work in Sep -- so I do have some time on my hands to answer questions... I'm also a little spaced out, so replies to questions may take a while, but I promise to get to them :-P

Again, I'll be happy and willing to answer questions on the whole gamut of USA B-School Application topics to the best of my abilities.. :-P

Best
Keya

I just got an email from Rahul at Pagalguy telling me about this thread and asking if I would be willing to show some moral support to other women in the same boat as I was in three years ago... And so here I am!

Thanks Keya 😃

I've also asked a few more women to post here so hopefully things should get going 😃
Historically, much like MBA campuses, women have been a minority on PG. i'd love to see this thread really grow and hopefully have more members take part in this.

Step up women, this is your thread :)

p.s. to the two men who don't seem to want this thread, is there any specific reason for your opposition?

Hi Neo,

Its not that i didnt want this thread or I am against this thread,its just that i shared my view on what i thought was a segregation of aspirants on basis of gender and a very vague thread but now with women joining in the thread and the agenda for the thread being cleared out,things are much more clearer.

Hope all the girls have rocking discussion and interaction @PG!

Best of Luck!

Cheerzz..
Ankur

Acads-average/4 yrs work exp-clinical+non profit/Gmat in oct

I began my prep this week and would apply for ISB second cycle.Any suggestions?

TC!!!

Hello Girls,

This is a snapshot of the profile : Gmat 660/6.3 GPA BE(Mech)BITS Pilani/ 2 yr exp in mech design engg + 1 yr non profit exp( environment related projs), Interest : Finance and Marketing

I wanna know how good are my chances of getting into melbourne school of business. I am planning to apply for Jan'10 intake.

Pleaseee gimme some feedback

Hey Rashmi,

Not that your GMAT is low, but it always helps to have a higher score. Did you try taking the GMAT again?

-TMW

Heyyy....thanks for your reply.
That is my second attempt. I know i could have done better. I jus messed up with verbal part :-(
anyways....I wanna go ahead with this score...what do you think???

Keya,

Thanks for joining the thread.
I am a hardcore techie (internet company) and have been an Engineering Manager on very technical projects for the past 5 years. I have a total of 10+ years experience, which I think is on the (very) high side.
I would like to be in IT after MBA. Do you think a schools is interested in such 'old' people as me. Do they see any value in such candidates.
I am sure that U Chicago is not for me as I have a low GMAT (690 Q49, V34). What schools should I be targeting. I am looking for schools in Metros/urban areas as my husband who is a Techie as well, will be moving with me.

I don't know much about Melbourne School, but you have a good chance at NUS. Do you fall in the 80% range of GMAT at MSB?

-TMW

Since you want to stay in IT after MBA you can look at HAAS School of Business @ University of California Berkeley as one of the options.

Also your score should not create much problem as far as the complete application package is concerned...

Keya,

I am a hardcore techie (internet company) and have been an Engineering Manager on very technical projects for the past 5 years. I have a total of 10+ years experience, which I think is on the (very) high side.
I would like to be in IT after MBA. Do you think a schools is interested in such 'old' people as me. Do they see any value in such candidates.
I am sure that U Chicago is not for me as I have a low GMAT (690 Q49, V34). What schools should I be targeting. I am looking for schools in Metros/urban areas as my husband who is a Techie as well, will be moving with me.

I don't know much about Melbourne School, but you have a good chance at NUS. Do you fall in the 80% range of GMAT at MSB?

-TMW

Thanks Keya for posting on PG. :I have been following PG for a while but had not taken any concrete actions for my GMAT. But this time I am determined to give my best shot and this is going to be my first attempt. I have not booked the GMAT date but I am looking at September end. Many bloggers have referred your gmat success stories in their blogs and its such a wonderful surprise to actually see your post in this thread.

About me, I am 28, married and from IT background (Java/J2ee). I was in Accenture before coming to US in October 2008. I am on H1b visa and working as a Java consultant these days. My project just got finished and I have decided to take some time off for gmat prepration. So far, I have only done some research on gmat pattern and read some blogs on how to approach gmat. In a nutshell, I have not touched any books yet. Today is the first day of my prepration and as I am taking off from work, I need your advice on how to approach gmat so that I get a 700+ decent score.

Please suggest!! I was looking for your blog / tips on gmat prep but couldn't find any. It will be great if you could share some tips and guide on gmat preps.

Regards
Vani

Keya,

-TMW

TMW-- First of all, I wouldn't rule out UofC.. there are people who have got in with 690... as long as the rest of your application carries weight. I've known people with 8+ years of experience, so I wouldn't say that 10 years is too much. There were people in my class with Ph.D.s in Oncology and work experience after that to match..

I would suggest looking through Business Week at the list of all the school and where they are at... and then see what are the job prospects for your husband around there. After you have a shortlist of schools based on these criteria, aim for the highest you can go.
Actually, that way Chicago and NY might be good options; both in terms of job prospects and schools (Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, NYU)

Hope this helps!
Keya

Thanks Keya for posting on PG. :
Regards
Vani

Vani,

I just found my old thread on PG... this should help

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cracked-it-770-q50-v46-25017155

Best
Keya