#WhyCBS Columbia Business School

Check out this video made with tweets from students about why they chose to go to Columbia Business School. Current MBA students will reply to any questions that you post in the comments section of the video. Why Choose Columbia Business…

Check out this video made with tweets from students about why they chose to go to Columbia Business School.

Current MBA students will reply to any questions that you post in the comments section of the video.

Why Choose Columbia Business School #WhyCBS - YouTube

would you be answering any questions on this forum?

Hi,

Sure I can answer questions on the forum, at least based on my experience so far as a first year. Anything in particular?

Hi WhyCBS,

Actually its best to talk with a current student.
I am an applicant to CBS for fall 2012 and just wanted to know a few details which are hard to find out through internet.
1. CBS is a great fin school..everyone knows that. However, what is it actually (academics, classroom exp., exposure) which makes it unique?
2. What are the key takeaways of the entrepreneurial prog. and other progs offering intangible skills (such as Prog on social intelligence)? If i want to start a new venture in the long term, then how would CBS help me..that is what is it that it offers which cannot be learned from actual experience
3. What are your views on the internships and placement scenario in the current environment?

actually have lots of questions as it is hard to find CBS students who are active on Indian forums, but would not bother you with any more :)....thanks in advance

There are many things about CBS that make it unique. First and foremost, its the people (students, faculty, and alumni). CBS has a culture of collaboration which is strengthened by our grade nondisclosure policy. Also, because CBS is based in New York City, you will have the opportunity to meet and interact with business leaders from a wide range of industries. Just last Thursday the CEO/Chairman of Deloitte Consulting, Punit Renjen, was on campus to speak at a corporate presentation.

The entrepreneurship program offers students many programs to help them start a business - whether that immediately after graduation or a few years later. Some of the key programs:

Greenhouse Program - master class that helps 2nd yr MBAs prepare their businesses for investment
Venture Fairs - opportunity to showcase your business to CBS community
Lions Lab - incubator program for 1st yr MBAs committed to launching a business after graduation
Clubs: Columbia Entrepreneurship Organization, Innovation + Creativity in Business Society, Technology Business Group, PE/VC

Hi, Here's some info on each of your questions:

1. CBS really takes advantage of being in New York City. I think this draws a stronger group of international students and students interested in finance. There are many opportunities that would be more difficult elsewhere. We have an "Executives in Residence" program that lets you sign up to meet with former CEOs and executives in a variety of fields to learn more about their industry or get career advice. For second year students, there are master classes where you work on a live project with a client. I am currently in the Small Business Consulting Program. I work with a team of three other people to make a recommendation for a growth strategy for a non-profit organization. My team has met several times with board members and the chairman of the organization. Another opportunity that some students take advantage of is getting part-time internships during the school year. This takes a lot of time, but can really help for a switch into the hedge fund, PE, or luxury goods industries.

I really enjoy the students, professors, and culture at CBS, although I expect that other schools also have great academics and students as well.

2. I am not in the entrepreneurial program. One of my friends said these are the main offerings:

Greenhouse Program - master class that helps 2nd yr MBAs prepare their businesses for investment
Venture Fairs - opportunity to showcase your business to CBS community
Lions Labďťż - incubator program for 1st yr MBAs committed to launching a business after graduation (@mmelmed2 is in it)
Clubs: Columbia Entrepreneurship Organization, Innovation + Creativity in Business Society, Technology Business Group, PE/VC

3. I am currently recruiting for summer internships in consulting and strategy positions. I have been very busy going to all of the presentations, and know that it has been similar for my friends recruiting in other industries. At least there is a lot of interest.

It is hard to say how many positions will be offered from these firms... Based on the experience of the 2nd years, everyone got an internship even though it wasn't necessarily in their first choice position (for example some people worked in an industry related to their 1st choice or a firm similar to their 1st choice firm).

--

Learn more about Columbia at #WhyCBS

Thanks a lot for your time and effort..your answers were of great help

Glad to help. Let me know if you think of anything else.

--
#WhyCBS on youtube

First of all thanks for helping us out on the application process. I want to shift my career from IT to finance(Investment Banking). In your opinion what are the best clubs to attend for a novice finance student with limited finance industry experience at CBS. Besides the clubs are there any additional things a student can pursue and how conducive is the environment for people who want to shift to finance?

Thanks again for your reply.