Why ISEM ? (a sustainability focused management course)

This is a thread for information and queries about pursuing a management course in Safety, Environment & Sustainability.Feel free to discuss about the course and the field and post queries in this thread. There is currently a course off…

This is a thread for information and queries about pursuing a management course in Safety, Environment & Sustainability.

Feel free to discuss about the course and the field and post queries in this thread.

There is currently a course offered in NITIE called PGDISEM, whose students have prepared the following information about the course.

INDUSTRIAL SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT (ISEM) :

Making profit and securing a good position in market is the primary aim of all organizations but one more avenue that is emerging these days and towards which businesses are diverting their efforts and resources is sustainability. Having the correct pace of development along with the concern for environment is no more a need but a mandate if the organizations want an ever-growing profit and existence. Courses encompassing aspects related to health, safety and environment produce business leaders who will join the industry with a broad understanding of the complex relationship between business success and social and environmental progress.

SCOPE :

With the advent of intensive globalization and industrialization, there has been a growing need of profitable and sustainable business practices. To cater to that, there are certain specific courses in this field that have been recently started in India. These tailor-made industry specific courses enable the organizations to hire people who have comprehensive and relevant knowledge of the four main aspects of a work environment- environment, health, safety and sustainability.

CURRICULUM :

The curriculum would touch upon aspects of auditing, ISO standards and accreditations, the health and safety practices as per OHSAS standards, ergonomics etc. Also the environmental section would include Air Quality Management, Corporate Environmental Management, Energy management, Environmental Economics, Environmental Impact Assessment and Industrial Waste Water Management. These are just to name a few topics. In actual sense it is a multidisciplinary science.

JOB PROFILES :

Since it is a niche and peculiar requirement, companies look for candidates who are genuinely enthusiastic in such fields.
The following job profiles are offered:
1. EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) manager :
The responsibility envelope of an EHS manager involves regulatory compliance, waste treatment (effluents), green engineering, pollution preventive strategy building, job safety analysis, evaluating behavioral aspects to reduce ergonomic stressors, safety auditing etc.
2. Consultant :
The role of a consultant in the field of sustainability involves framing sustainability strategies for organizations across different domains, building their sustainability reports encapsulating their performance on a sustainable front, preparing their GHG (Green House Gas) emissions' report, formulating carbon footprint reduction strategies, conducting environmental safety audits etc.

RECRUITERS :

Since EHS is a mushrooming department, this profile is now opening in all the major companies. To name a few companies that have a fully functional EHS department- Kraft Foods (Cadbury), Asian Paints, ITC, Tata Motors, PepsiCo, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Madura Garments, Henkel, GMR Infrastructure, Lenovo, Schlumberger. Major consulting firms include PWC, KPMG, E&Y.;

PREPARATION :

To prepare yourself in this field, you could visit the following links-
http://moef.nic.in/
http://www.environmentalleader.com/

Good Initiative....will definitely help a lot of aspirant in getting clarity and making a decision...

Great!! Moved the thread to Career Discussion Section!

Though this is an initiative by NITIE students, request to shoot general queries on ISEM as a career here. Please see that no NITIE specific queries to be posted here, post them on Offiicial NITIE thread for admissions!

Cheers!

I would like to know when this program was started. Since it is relatively new, will it have a lower CAT cutoff?? Do give us a previous year figure, if any....

Thanks...

@dark-phoenix It will have lower cutoff compared to other courses for obvious reasons. Being a new course it has less taker now but if number of green initiatives currently taken by major companies is anything to go by then you are looking at a very hot career in future.

It is very new course and offered by handful of institutes. If you want to know about any specific college then it will be better to visit respective college thread. I have gathered some info on few colleges that offer such a course.

NITIE (Post graduate diploam in Industrial Safety and Environmental Managment)
Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management (IISWBM), Kolkata
Jawaharlal Nehru University, School of Environmental Studies, New Delhi
Indian Institute of Environment Management, Navi Mumbai
University of Chennai
Vikram University, Ujjain

Annamalai University(distance course)

P.S: It is just a random list I gathered through various resources. There may be colleges better than few in the list

Now this is something that has actually got me interested. helping the environment, and getting paid well. I didnt know that such a job profile existed!!! I am now considering applying to NITIE for this programme. I am sure a lot more people would be interested , but due to lack of " Prachaar", one cant find much info about this course. Am i right? Or am i the mis-informed one here? Anyway, i would like to know everything about it. I'll read the course contents from the website. What i would like to know from the NITIE stalwarts, is the Faculty stature, the course load, type of summer profiles offered, batch profile (as in which streams of engg. in graduation) and final profiles offered by the companies. I hope i am not being much of a pain!! I may be a bit over enthusiastic about this course!

@Mukulspock , @visionIIM-ACL, @anshuman312 , @chop-suey , @vivekkahn ..
@vishwadeep2010 said:
@Mukulspocksir there are some doubts i would like to ask 1#what is the fresher+work-ex ratio in your class ?2#after completing this program students join which type of companies i.e Consulting firms or major companies (sorry for not being very clear in my queries as i have no other way of knowing except consulting seniors like you ) 3#if you could give me the link for any document which lists the companies visiting to recruit from ISEM program.I am very much inclined to join this program ..
please refer the first post of this thread
@dark-phoenix As directed by our revered puy @visionIIM-ACL NITIE specific queries will be discussed on NITIE admission thread only. Other info can be shared here. @sya08 is the appropriate person for NITIE ISEM info. she is herself pursuing ISEM from NITIE. You can contact her and go through NITIE admission thread for more info on PGDISEM course from NITIE.
@dark-phoenix Check your PM for detailed information on ISEM. I hope that clears all your doubts. In case you want any further information then either post on the NITIE 2013-15 thread or send me a PM !

Good luck :)
@sya08 said:

Thanks sya08, for the prompt reply....
@dark-phoenix Glad I could help.

Team IMPACT ..As a student of ISEM ,i would like to draw your attention to the basic reason which makes this course unique..Apart from environment and sustainability, it even covers safety aspects.. industrial safety is a well established department all over the world and across industries,corporate safety is another important area..These days , we have CSO (chief sustainability officer) in many companies and he/she is one of the key persons on the company's board...In this 21st century,when the whole world concentrates on sustainability,Environment management is one of the fastest growing area..The chances for growth are immense.. ISEM is not like a postgraduate program in environment but rather itz a holistic course which even covers general management courses from operations, HR, basic finance,marketing and many more..itz a 12 year old baby with a lot to cherish :)..All the alums are doing great..They have reached to the levels of regional head,director etc...1 of them has even opened a carbon consultancy company, excelling at a brisk pace and is a regular recruiter at NITIE...for any doubt, plz feel free to ask 😃

ISEM is a very specific course.
It contains two bifurcations in general: Environment and Safety.

Environment- You study about Air/Water/Noise pollution, Environmental legislation, International policies, Sustainable business practices
Job options- Consulting (Sustainability, climate change, carbon credits projects, CSR reports, Auditing)
Plant job- Strategic or policy making positions in waste water treatment unit, effluent treatment unit, etc

Safety- It includes factory safety, employee safety, ergonomics, human behaviour towards the management, Safety legislation & norms
Job options- Safety officer (EHS department)
Roles might include formulating safety startegies for the employees so that the factory is accident-free, Safety auditing, etc

If you are in IT and have no prior inclination towards ISEM then it doesn't make much sense for you to apply as it is completely different than the usual courses. Its specification is such that it is relatively difficult to make a switch to a generalised MBA profile like finance or marketing later in your working life.

Hello Sya08, Mukulspock

Thanks for all your help and information .:) Would like to ask you some doubts about them .
I am from an IT background only and having 27 months of work-ex . I got information about the course through some friends and was really impacted by it .
Although I don't have any experience in the field of environment or safety . Neither do I have any extra curricular or project etc related with environment .
Still is this course worth a try .? Will all these things back fire upon me during interviews . (As surely the professors will find the development of an antenna(final year project) as poles apart from the environment issues . )

Please let me know about them .

@sandtaker0 said:
Hello Sya08, MukulspockThanks for all your help and information . Would like to ask you some doubts about them .I am from an IT background only and having 27 months of work-ex . I got information about the course through some friends and was really impacted by it . Although I don't have any experience in the field of environment or safety . Neither do I have any extra curricular or project etc related with environment . Still is this course worth a try .? Will all these things back fire upon me during interviews . (As surely the professors will find the development of an antenna(final year project) as poles apart from the environment issues . )Please let me know about them .
There is a course PGDITM specifically for IT experience people who want to build a career in IT.
You can look into that. ISEM may not be very relevant for you.
@Mukulspock

Thanks for the info . One small and final query , when I went through the batch profile of 2013 batch I found most of them from TCS, Infy ,Wipro and other IT companies (i know nitie takes only engineers ). I was not so inclined towards the ITM course as I don't want to come back again in this field. Also the cut offs for it are generally above 96 or so which I don't expect , So wanted to clarify whether I can still try to put efforts for ISEM ?

@sandtaker0 .. The guyz from Core background have an edge but that doesn't mean that people from IT can't sustain in this field.. you need to have genuine interest in this course and you should be very clear about the prospects ... If cut-offs or placements are driving you towards this course, i would request you to reconsider...If this field excites you , You are welcome
@sandtaker0 It is true that core students have an edge over the others when it comes to pursuing the course. Although, placements do not follow any such pattern. If you are interested in the course then you must apply. Do go through the detailed curriculum. I am attaching a link for the same : http://www.nitie.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task;=view&id;=239&Itemid;=130〈=en
Do make an informed decision.

Good luck !
@manmauji89 ,@sya08

Thanks a lot for your responses.
It was really helpful . :)
{Will trouble u further if have any more doubts 😁 :P}