Why Career in Finance

Hello Puys I want to know what are the reasons that we go for a career in Finance.I know its very broad term but this is the very basic thing which we must know. After the fall of great AIG , Lehman Bros etc why now also we want to choose care…

Hello Puys
I want to know what are the reasons that we go for a career in Finance.I know its very broad term but this is the very basic thing which we must know.
After the fall of great AIG , Lehman Bros etc why now also we want to choose career in finance.
How can we justify our future.

Hello Puys
I want to know what are the reasons that we go for a career in Finance.I know its very broad term but this is the very basic thing which we must know.
After the fall of great AIG , Lehman Bros etc why now also we want to choose career in finance.
How can we justify our future.

some core truths:
the basic truth is that the salaries are highest in bfs sector
you do not need to go out and do field work,

and I think only fin gives one the choice of working from one's home...
some core truths:
the basic truth is that the salaries are highest in bfs sector
you do not need to go out and do field work,

and I think only fin gives one the choice of working from one's home...

hi,

Its not only the high salaries but the quality of work. I believe once you start your banking career you have a lot of scope to grow. You have a stable or foreseeable future and well balanced life.

Career should be based on the strengths of a person.(S)he would be able to enjoy the work and be more effective if the work is of her/his interests.And generally the strength is intertwined with the interest.Finance is a field requiring a lot of analytical and mathematical skills.So if you think you are good at it or are comfortable to work with these skills you should definitely read the stuff of the finance or economics protagonists such as Adam Smith,Paul Krugerman to get more hunches to enter in this field.If nothing inspires you after such readings then you are not meant for this field.Then one should look for the choice of career which suits to her/his interests and skills, for which a lot of delving and introspection is imperative.

Hi puys but most of b.school nt all have gud placement in marketng.. And i would say avarage b.school 80% opt 4 marktng..
I too agree that finance has more respectful future.. But why in most of the avg. b school student opt 4 marktng??
I finance tough than marktng to study?
Plz put ur views.. Thanx

Hi puys but most of b.school nt all have gud placement in marketng.. And i would say avarage b.school 80% opt 4 marktng..
I too agree that finance has more respectful future.. But why in most of the avg. b school student opt 4 marktng??
Plz put ur views.. Thanx

yes friend finance is tougher seen from a neutral perspective...it has number crunching , complex graphs..,,lot of math and stats..and lots of knowledge to be assimilated...not that marketing doesnt require knowledge...but if you can sell well and have that bent of mind for creative ideas you can do well in marketing....

But finance requires that ultra dedication...and moreover not many B schools( apart from the top notch b schools) can boast of good finance faculty...so if there is dearth of good institutes which are strong in finance obviously there would be more marketing grads than fin grads
yes friend finance is tougher seen from a neutral perspective...it has number crunching , complex graphs..,,lot of math and stats..and lots of knowledge to be assimilated...not that marketing doesnt require knowledge...but if you can sell well and have that bent of mind for creative ideas you can do well in marketing....

But finance requires that ultra dedication...and moreover not many B schools( apart from the top notch b schools) can boast of good finance faculty...so if there is dearth of good institutes which are strong in finance obviously there would be more marketing grads than fin grads

I agree that finance requires a more focussed approach and also faculty matters a lot but i believe the higher number of people opting for marketing can be explained by the higher no. of jobs in marketing :). When one see that the profiles offered in his or her college are more in marketing then they become biased. As higher no. of jobs means higher chances to get a job.

Lets take a example- a guy selected 4 avg. Bschool, Nt other gud bschool in hand, thought of taking finance as major, bt as past record of college suggest that better plcment 4 marketng studnt, and faculty are mostly 4 marketng!
What u will do if you were that guys??
Plz reply thinking u r that guy truly!

Plz put ur views.. Thanx

I disagree with you..many many people opt for fin..even in my college around 60% had chosen fin and rest chose among ops, marketing and hr...

most of the people that choose fin end up in marketing (like me..altho I was a combo of fin and mark..hence the name finmark)...mba-fin get into relationship managers etc etc...

marketing can be applied to a lot of industries..but fin has become more and more synonymous to Capital markets (whatever happened to corporate finance etc??)..
it aint true that only fin has number crunching roles...market research (which I think is a marketing field...not a fin field) requires one to be great in statistical analysis...

well thats what I think...
I disagree with you..many many people opt for fin..even in my college around 60% had chosen fin and rest chose among ops, marketing and hr...

most of the people that choose fin end up in marketing (like me..altho I was a combo of fin and mark..hence the name finmark)...mba-fin get into relationship managers etc etc...

marketing can be applied to a lot of industries..but fin has become more and more synonymous to Capital markets (whatever happened to corporate finance etc??)..
it aint true that only fin has number crunching roles...market research (which I think is a marketing field...not a fin field) requires one to be great in statistical analysis...

well thats what I think...

hi there, you are disagreeing with us and then disagreeing with yourself .
you only said 60% took finance and then landed in marketing jobs shows that marketing jobs are more. Also the next batch will see that finance guys also land in marketing job then why not opt for marketin at t first place.

Again a hardcore finance guy will nt take a marketing job which again points that in B-schools we are looking for jobs more than profiles.
What are your views on that??

have a small doubt which would is doing better now a days.. FRM certification or CFA...

dheeru33 Says
have a small doubt which would is doing better now a days.. FRM certification or CFA...

Hi, both are good and add great value to the resume.
The decision should be based on the fact that is you want your career to move in a very specific and highly complex environment of Risk management or just in a broad lane of finnance. If you wanna work in finance industry (Not specificaly in Risk Management) then CFA is gudd else FRM. But both courses are kind of long term which eat up lots of time in preperation. Though you can also courses which are not that long and help you move towards your destinantion.
NCFM, FLIP, IIBF etc. Need to decide what stream you want and hw much time you wanna spend on tat.

I want to do mba in marketing will it be right option to do cfa?

guys wats ur view abt PGPBF of NIBM,Pune ?

shoeb.shabi Says
guys wats ur view abt PGPBF of NIBM,Pune ?

descent bschool 4 banking sector.. But if u r intrested in banking!
Gud placement, bt nt aicte approved..
prem31jan Says
I want to do mba in marketing will it be right option to do cfa?

Hi, if you want to do MBA in marketing why do you want to do a hard core finance course? Also if you want a marketing profile in banking sector like that of a RM. Look for a course to give you basic knowledge of the banking sector. You don't need to do CFA for that.

Hi friends

Could anyone tell me what exactly do u mean by number crunching?
Is it pure number like balance sheets where we have to do lot of addition/substraction and understand from the numbers?

Waiting for reply 😃

Hi friends

Could anyone tell me what exactly do u mean by number crunching?
Is it pure number like balance sheets where we have to do lot of addition/substraction and understand from the numbers?

Waiting for reply :)

It includes,
Sampling theorems,
ratio analysis,
probability,
statistics,
formulas,
shares n stocks,
graphs,
percentages, etc, etc

Its not only addition n subtraction, it includes mul, div, derive, integrate and lot of things.

i don't understand, why ppl are running for CFA and FRM.

Wat abt CMA/CWA or some other courses like MSc finance and MS financial engg?