Why and how does SP Jain give interview calls before CAT?

SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) Joint Director Prof Sunil Rai answers this and more in a PaGaLGuY.com exclusive interview. *SP Jain is known to send GD-PI calls to candidates even before the CAT is held. Why and how i…

SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) Joint Director Prof Sunil Rai answers this and more in a PaGaLGuY.com exclusive interview.

SP Jain is known to send GD-PI calls to candidates even before the CAT is held. Why and how is it done?

We do respect the CAT, which is an entry-level examination for the MBA education. However, how can you have the full idea about somebody's potential using a two hour test? So we have frameworks using which we can spend more time in evaluating a candidate... Read More

That maybe sheds some light on the selection procedure. Or, makes it hazier all the more? ??:
Is the process they mentioned is practically possible? Would it be the one they follow?
- As mentioned by Mr. Sunil Rai, they receive 15,000 applications every year. According to their process of segregrating each application into S, A, B, C categories, they would have to go through the each and every SOP, as it then becomes a qualitative scrutiny. Rejecting 50% applicants in software filter, spending even 10 minutes per SOP, still requires 75000 minutes of review work!!
Apurv, u didnt clarify an important myth surrounding SPJain! Do they maintain a male-female ratio for their Full-time MBA programes?
Is the process they mentioned is practically possible? Would it be the one they follow?
- As mentioned by Mr. Sunil Rai, they receive 15,000 applications every year. According to their process of segregrating each application into S, A, B, C categories, they would have to go through the each and every SOP, as it then becomes a qualitative scrutiny. Rejecting 50% applicants in software filter, spending even 10 minutes per SOP, still requires 75000 minutes of review work!!
I guess since they're taking in only above an academic B, which includes reputed school+college+score, their automated process eliminates a whole lot even before there is human intervention. So of all people that apply, the IITans and Stephenians with decent scores stay, and from the lower rung colleges, only the ones with exceptional scores stay.

Then again, the no of work experience years checking is automated. More elimination/shortlisting there.

The only grey area is... what if an academic B and work-ex B and CAT B is an S in value/versatility. How large could this sample size be? How do they process it? But then again, you can't nitpick in an interview ;). The interview is meant to give a basic idea of the process.

Of course, I do consider the possibility that the 15,000 figure is quite bloated but not much, because SP Jain's a top 10 brand.

when shld one apply?? if the process of elimination starts before the CAT result is out?!?!

Yup SPJain has that kind of a peculiar criterion much as foriegn mba thing which select u on the basis of ur past performance etc..etc..Plus there was another criterion of SOP or essay form..Last to last year they had this SOP thing to be written by the students which they manually checked nd rated.Last year they did all that online plus the SOP wasn much intricate and had jus two quesns on the versatility etc..Could ne1 brief as to whether the same wd continue this year also..i.e. online form filling/SOP filling....I must say the insitute is pretty good..bt their interview process is a bit hazy..Most of the ppl come out sayin that wats thier criterion on which they are eliminating or takin in candidates..nd also they dnt ask much high funda stuff.ALL this supports that they already take in ppl thru thier profile criterion All those who hav 2 S's are almost thru even be4 cat..they are jsu confirmed finally by them..those who hav an S..are scrutinised further.etc..etc..

This interview will definetly give a good picture about SPJIMR selection procedure though still there are certian myths sorrounding on how they grade colleges and the value system (based on SOP).
Special thanks to Apurv Pandit and Sonam Vij for their selective set of questions. Gr8 job

There are a lot of ambiguities in this system:
eG : Someone takes mining at an NIT.fairly easy to get branch, but good coll
Someone takes Electronics at a famous college in the region not known nationally. Really tough to get into.......
So to get a S in the SP Jain rating system , the person should have taken up the NIT , even though the branch is not interesting , but will be given A for the other coll even though it is tougher to get into that college for that particular branch !!!!!!!

hi!!
the last date of applying in SPJIMR is after CAT exam and they do 60 % scrutiny before CAT. so when shd we apply? ??: 3

nice clears the fog a bit.. or prolly we knew all this all da while just abt getting it frm the hors'e mouth..
neways the S-A-B-C thing was pretty intriguing...

There are a lot of ambiguities in this system:
eG : Someone takes mining at an NIT.fairly easy to get branch, but good coll
Someone takes Electronics at a famous college in the region not known nationally. Really tough to get into.......
So to get a S in the SP Jain rating system , the person should have taken up the NIT , even though the branch is not interesting , but will be given A for the other coll even though it is tougher to get into that college for that particular branch !!!!!!!

I agree with santigo.

BhedBhaw..................
Isse to gareeb or gareeb banega , paisedar aur paisedar banega.

all that is fine the method for admitting students that way is gr8 but how and when to apply is not mentioned ..... anyone will certainly like to apply ... but how is the big question if anyone knows it plz tell me ..i checked out the site but found nothing kindly update me ..... my mailing address is

@shantanu

plz remove ur mail from ur post. its against the forum rules

can ny body guide here regarding applying to spjain like when to apply and pls give the link too

Hi Everybody,

On behalf of Admission Committee of SPJIMR, let us give a few clarifications to some of the myths surrounding us and to your queries.

1. The shortlisting of candidates before CAT was done till 2 years ago. Last year no candidate was selected before CAT and this year also we will be selecting candidates only after CAT/XAT results after having complete details about the candidates.
  2. We like to put some light on our shortlisting criteria. SPJIMR does not put all the emphasis on CAT/XAT scores or work experience. We follow the following 5 criteria for selecting students:
    1. CAT/XAT scores
    2. Work Experience
    3. Past Academic Record
    4. Achievements
    5. Extra - curricular Activities

3. Further, these are selection criteria and not elemination criteria. We do not eliminate a student if he is not from a very good reputed institute, or if he has not participated in lot of extra - curriculars. What happens is that if you are very good at any of the 5 points mentioned above, you have a very high chance of getting shortlisted for interview.
  4. This year the application form is completely online, as it was last year. The applications have started and the last date for submission is November 30, 2006.
  5. The application form contains only 2 subjective questions, which again have a word limit. This allows us to go through each and every application. At a speed of 2 minute per application and with a strength of 40 people working on shortlisting, it comes to less than 13 hrs. per person. The process which we have mentioned is very much feasible and SP has been doing it for years.
  6. SPJIMR does not follow any male/female ratio.
  7. SPJIMR does not prefer work experience as such. As we have mentioned earlier, it is just one of the criteria. Depending upon the specialization you choose, we have different weightage for the work-experience. Please note that we do not put too much emphasis on any of the criteria. The students we select are on the basis of all 5 criteria.
  8. SPJIMR does not give more emphasis to engineers. Out current batch is comprised of students from various streams including CA, B.Com., BBA, BMS, MBBS, Engineers from different streams, BA and others.
EDITED: Thanks for the clarifications, but please stop at that! No advertising :)

Best of Luck for your exams.:thumbsup:

Regards
Admission Committee
SPJIMR

thanks alot...

That maybe sheds some light on the selection procedure. Or, makes it hazier all the more? ??:
Apurv, u didnt clarify an important myth surrounding SPJain! Do they maintain a male-female ratio for their Full-time MBA programes?

I totally agree with the time factor and don't want to take a chance with my sops,i have taken help from a couple of guys running a website.you can check for more help on writing sops for SPjain.
Hi Everybody,

On behalf of Admission Committee of SPJIMR, Regards
Admission Committee
SPJIMR

Hi ,
I have paid the fees through IMS and they have given me a number to check in the SPJAIN site. I just know that SPJAIN has profile based selections. so till now i havent filled in anything. could you please guide me in filling the form and also if any other instructuions are to be followed while filling it.

Yashwanth
Hi ,
I have paid the fees through IMS and they have given me a number to check in the SPJAIN site. I just know that SPJAIN has profile based selections. so till now i havent filled in anything. could you please guide me in filling the form and also if any other instructuions are to be followed while filling it.

Yashwanth

Hi Yashwanth,

You are pinging an year old thread.(Please see the date of the last post in this thread.)

Please raise your concern with senior @Spjain on this years thread over here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2009-2011-spjimr-admissions-related-queries-discussions-25033802

You can always use our search facility:

PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2008, GMAT, XAT, IIM - Search Forums

God Speed!