Wht wud be t appropriate future plan..

I m a 2nd yr B.tech student in gr8 dilema… Initally i thought pursuing MBA abroad wud be a fantabulous option…but ws let down a bit knowin the difficulties in applyin…workx reqd… So i thought CAT wud be a more sensible way to go… But st…

I m a 2nd yr B.tech student in gr8 dilema..
Initally i thought pursuing MBA abroad wud be a fantabulous option..but ws let down a bit knowin the difficulties in applyin..workx reqd..
So i thought CAT wud be a more sensible way to go..
But still i m in 2 minds..
I ws plannin fr givin GMAT durin my final yr..n get 2 yrs workx..n then apply...(cos of 5 yrs validity)
Wht do u suggest..Is it possible to go in both directions..
Or do i hav to make a choice..
Wht do u suggest..

Mansoor

Hi Mansoor,

Initially, I had started replying to your post picking on the metaphor of going in different directions but let me try a simpler one. Your choice of direction would depend on a few questions that you should ask yourself and then do a sanity check by comparing it with the worldview.

- What is the difference between an Indian MBA and an MBA in say..umm.. US (to narrow down the ambiguity) ? Do you really want to do any MBA or a specific MBA ?

- What if you come to know that some universities abroad can offer you admision without any admission hassle and without any work ex( they might just ask you for a great GMAT and a few other basic things). Are you prepared to go for it ? Please remember that you would be investing your valuable time in doing the MBA so would it be worth doing it from anywhere ?

There are many more questions but I don't want to confuse you anymore. You could take CAT and aim for the best MBA programs in India. If they don't materialize ( ideally, you should aim at belling the CAT if you are eager to finish an MBA before you join the workforce), take a call on GMAT as soon as you feel you can submit an application which meets the class profile of your dream college. You can time your GMAT and CAT close to each other as I didn't find GMAT to be a very different animal except for some minor test taking adjustments ( as you can stroll thru GMAT while you have to run thru CAT )

All the best, Vipin

I m a 2nd yr B.tech student in gr8 dilema..
Initally i thought pursuing MBA abroad wud be a fantabulous option..but ws let down a bit knowin the difficulties in applyin..workx reqd..
So i thought CAT wud be a more sensible way to go..
But still i m in 2 minds..
I ws plannin fr givin GMAT durin my final yr..n get 2 yrs workx..n then apply...(cos of 5 yrs validity)
Wht do u suggest..Is it possible to go in both directions..
Or do i hav to make a choice..
Wht do u suggest..

Mansoor

Thanx fr the instant reply..
But i have few queries..
Firstly i dont remember of havin heard about a coll that doesnt require workx..
Even if they do..it ll require amazing acads(high GPA + porjects) and extracurricular stuff..
I mean being in degree coll limits me to an extent frm such stuff..i mean i m tryin my best..
I m involved in loads of organising acivities..which infact drew my attention towards MBA..
Plus limited funding options fr GMAT..
I mean i dont wish to do MBA twice..
But i ll go wid ur word..prepare fr CAT n sumiltaneously fr GMAT..
Look fr the easy way out..
But things dont seem pretty clear to me..

Thanx fr the instant reply..
But i have few queries..
Firstly i dont remember of havin heard about a coll that doesnt require workx..
Even if they do..it ll require amazing acads(high GPA + porjects) and extracurricular stuff..
I mean being in degree coll limits me to an extent frm such stuff..i mean i m tryin my best..
I m involved in loads of organising acivities..which infact drew my attention towards MBA.. ..

Just like you said it is very tough to get in without substantial work experience but it happens in some of the best colleges like HBS,Stanford etc. You could look up there website for more information.

Plus limited funding options fr GMAT..I mean i dont wish to do MBA twice..
But i ll go wid ur word..prepare fr CAT n sumiltaneously fr GMAT.Look fr the easy way out..
But things dont seem pretty clear to me..

I get a feeling that you would like to do an MBA quickly right after your degree program. I think you should prepare for CAT wholeheartedly and aim for the best colleges in India. I would advise you to aim for the top 10 only. If it doesn't work out you could prepare for GMAT as you would have sharpened your test taking skills during CAT prep. Depending on your scores and target colleges you would be able to strategize. All the best.

Being in 2nd year I think its too early to decide. U have dilemma, because u dont know what exactly u want. So wait. Concentrate in your B.tech courses. Just get insights into various career options through this forum. Keep your options open. You need not break ur head right now to make out a decision. You might have been attracted by the fancy of MBA but it may not be ur cup of tea, which u might discover latter. I believe u would have heard stories of guys even in mid 30's regretting that they have taken a wrong career. MBA life is very different from organizing symposiums and festivals and other kind of stuff in college. I would advise you to get a good job in the final year and then make a serious attempt to CAT or GMAT. Both CAT and GMAT gives great deal of importance to work experience. With experience you will be able to assimilate the management concepts better. Further all the lucrative salaries of MBAs that u see in periodicals are mostly of the work experienced candidates.
So keep ur options open. get exposed to all the career options. Understand the ground reality and then make ur choice.