When to give GMAT?

Hi, I want to give CAT,GMAT and GRE …all 3 of them:oops: …CAT is in December … so, I was planning to give GRE and GMAT also around december only … but i read on some threads that good time to give GMAT is in aug-sep … why is it so?..is …

Hi,

I want to give CAT,GMAT and GRE ..all 3 of them:oops: ...CAT is in December .. so, I was planning to give GRE and GMAT also around december only .. but i read on some threads that good time to give GMAT is in aug-sep .. why is it so?..is there any problem in giving it in dec?..also pls tell me wats the best time to give GRE?

Thnx

Dear jhkaas,

I would take the GMAT when you feel most prepared. From my experience, there isn't a best time to take the exam in the year.

Take the GMAT exam when you feel ready and prepared.

Feel free to reach out if I can be of any help,

-Anurag

Hi,

I want to give CAT,GMAT and GRE ..all 3 of them:oops: ...CAT is in December .. so, I was planning to give GRE and GMAT also around december only .. but i read on some threads that good time to give GMAT is in aug-sep .. why is it so?..is there any problem in giving it in dec?..also pls tell me wats the best time to give GRE?

Thnx

Most thread say GMAT in aug/sept is the best time because most of the bschools have their first rounds in or around mid September like ISB, Great Lakes or for that matter IIM PGPX also....

However do not give GMAT unless you are well prepared....If you can get a 700+ score in your first attempt nothing like it...And since it is valid for 5 years it will not matter you much...it can be answered in dec and apply for Bschools next year...

I think preparation is the most important parameter as the score will be valid for 5 years...

hi puys

i m also intersted in wriring GMAT in december , is it the right time ?

also plz recommend books , study material for preperatiopn as i m new to this field

Most thread say GMAT in aug/sept is the best time because most of the bschools have their first rounds in or around mid September like ISB, Great Lakes or for that matter IIM PGPX also....

However do not give GMAT unless you are well prepared....If you can get a 700+ score in your first attempt nothing like it...And since it is valid for 5 years it will not matter you much...it can be answered in dec and apply for Bschools next year...

Hey guys,

Thnx very much for replying.I read in a post ( http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/abroad-b-school-deadlines-2010-25039795/1524225) that there are 3 rounds for applying in all B schools..1st in october,2nd in Jan and 3rd in March .. I guess most ppl go for 1st round of admissions .. If I apply in the 2nd round in Jan, is there any kind of loss?

Also,please tell me that if I prepare for GMAT/GRE till august and take GMAT and GRE in august,will that prep also help me in cat in dec...is it compatible with and does it compliments CAT prep?

jhkaas Says
Also,please tell me that if I prepare for GMAT/GRE till august and take GMAT and GRE in august,will that prep also help me in cat in dec...is it compatible with and does it compliments CAT prep?

@jhkaas,
I hope I'm not being too blunt, but get some focus man..
Gmat AND GRE !!!! Before deciding the season when you want to schedule your exams, its better that you first figure out what exactly you wanna do.
One can understand GMAT & CAT together, after all both are MBA exams, but GRE?? Where did that come from? I mean if you'r giving GRE, means that you want to get into core engineering/research..

Now to clear your concern about best time to give GMAT, well , as someone clearly pointed out above that there is no ideal time for taking the test, as it depends upon your level of prep. The Aug-Sep dates that you'v heard for GMAT is for those who wake up late, have to apply in the Oct window, and suddenly realize that they'r yet to take the test. So it basically is the final range of months for taking GMAT if u'r aiming for Oct applications. And mind you, GMAT is only 20-30% of the time/effort required in a complete application. You have to write essays, SOP's , reco's, attested transcripts, etc etc. So, even if you have your score in hand, well in advance, it will easily take you 1-2 months for the above procedure. So you have to plan in that way.

Now about crossover between CAT and GMAT prep. Well if you prepare for GMAT first, it will definitely help you 50-60% in your CAT prep, as in the quant syllabus for both the exams are nearly identical. But the problem is, the quant traditionally asked in CAT is of a much much higher level than you'll ever find in GMAT. So you'll have to bridge that gap.
GMAT and CAT verbal are different. Though both have RC's, GMAT RC's are real stingers:drinking:. Also, GMAT doesn't ask para-jumble, column matching Q asked in CAT. In GMAT verbal, a majority of ur prep time will go in understanding the concepts of sentence corrections. CAT doesn't go that deep.
And ya.. CAT has a third section of LR/DI, which is not there in GMAT.
P.S: GMAT quant section sometimes does have 1-2 DI case lets.

Thanx Caterpillar for such a detailed reply.One last thing I want to ask.Which is a better option--

1-I prepare quant,DI for CAT and verbal for GMAT and give GMAT in august2010 and CAT in dec 2010 (along with other things,will the application process also affect the CAT prep?)

2-I prepare only for CAT this year,give CAT in dec 2010 and then prepare for GMAT after dec and take GMAT in aug 2011 and continue with the process of application after that

GRE is just an option if i dont get any good B school (as I did B.Tech frm IIT Guwahati,getting into a good univ for MS ater GRE wud b relitively easier...univs may consider the IIT tag )

Thnx in advance:grin: