What To Do When You First Decide To Study For The GMAT

Hi everyone, I’ve been getting a lot of messages from people who are just beginning to study for the GMAT asking me what the first steps they should take are. I thought the following might help those who are just beginning to study for the GM…

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of messages from people who are just beginning to study for the GMAT asking me what the first steps they should take are. I thought the following might help those who are just beginning to study for the GMAT. The following is from my own experiences, but I have spoken to other GMAT tutors who have given similar advice:

In the beginning of your studies, you should do the following:

1. Sign up for the GMAT at www.mba.com;: I found that when you actually set a date to take the exam, it forces you to get serious about studying. When I was studying for the GMAT, I kept a calendar and marked the days until the exam. It really helped me to focus knowing that I had already paid the deposit for the GMAT.

2. Make sure to take an official practice exam as soon as you begin studying (you can get 2 free official exams at www.mba.com). You should know what type of score you are getting right now (550, 600, 650, etc..) and how many points you need to get to your goal. This practice exam will also help you get accustomed to the exam.

After you have done this, the following are important steps:

1. Purchase the Official Guide to the GMAT (from the makers of the GMAT). This has 300 real GMAT questions and is one of the most important books for GMAT test takers. You can purchase it basically anywhere and I highly recommend it.

2. Purchase a really good prep book to learn about strategy for taking the exam; I would recommend the Manhattan GMAT books or Kaplan 800. These books will teach you the strategy to beating critical reading questions, and strategies such as back solving for math questions. There are specific strategies on how to beat certain questions, and these books are really helpful in teaching those strategies.

3. Look to spend 4 days a week for 30 minute sessions (not including Sunday) on taking GMAT questions (I liked GMAT 2minutePrep GMAT Questions because it sent me an email every day with gmat questions, but you can also use the Official GMAT guide.) It is really important that you become familiar with the GMAT questions. As GMAC, the official maker of the GMAT, says, the best way to improve your score is through practice questions.

4. Every Sunday, look to take a full length GMAT exam (you can get 2 free ones at www.mba.com and you can get 1 free one at Test Prep Online for GMAT, LSAT, and SAT Exams with Knewton and GMAT Prep Courses ManhattanGMAT).
Test Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More also offers a free practice exam, although it is a bit hard to find on the website.

First though, make sure to sign up for the GMAT and then take a full practice exam so you know what score you currently have and how much you want to improve for your goal.

Please feel free to reach out if I can be of more help.

-Anurag

....no comments... was it that bad of a post?

thans a lot

its helpful

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of messages from people who are just beginning to study for the GMAT asking me what the first steps they should take are. I thought the following might help those who are just beginning to study for the GMAT. The following is from my own experiences, but I have spoken to other GMAT tutors who have given similar advice:

1. Sign up for the GMAT at www.mba.com;: I found that when you actually set a date to take the exam, it forces you to get serious about studying. When I was studying for the GMAT, I kept a calendar and marked the days until the exam. It really helped me to focus knowing that I had already paid the deposit for the GMAT.

2. Make sure to take an official practice exam as soon as you begin studying (you can get 2 free official exams at www.mba.com). You should know what type of score you are getting right now (550, 600, 650, etc..) and how many points you need to get to your goal. This practice exam will also help you get accustomed to the exam.

1. Purchase the Official Guide to the GMAT (from the makers of the GMAT). This has 300 real GMAT questions and is one of the most important books for GMAT test takers. You can purchase it basically anywhere and I highly recommend it.

2. Purchase a really good prep book to learn about strategy for taking the exam; I would recommend the Manhattan GMAT books or Kaplan 800. These books will teach you the strategy to beating critical reading questions, and strategies such as back solving for math questions. There are specific strategies on how to beat certain questions, and these books are really helpful in teaching those strategies.

3. Look to spend 4 days a week for 30 minute sessions (not including Sunday) on taking GMAT questions (I liked GMAT 2minutePrep GMAT Questions because it sent me an email every day with gmat questions, but you can also use the Official GMAT guide.) It is really important that you become familiar with the GMAT questions. As GMAC, the official maker of the GMAT, says, the best way to improve your score is through practice questions.

4. Every Sunday, look to take a full length GMAT exam (you can get 2 free ones at www.mba.com and you can get 1 free one at Test Prep Online for GMAT, LSAT, and SAT Exams with Knewton and GMAT Prep Courses ManhattanGMAT).
Test Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More also offers a free practice exam, although it is a bit hard to find on the website.

First though, make sure to sign up for the GMAT and then take a full practice exam so you know what score you currently have and how much you want to improve for your goal.

-Anurag

Thanks sunsmidhi.

Anurag,
Can you tell me which book to follow for CR practice? I am done with theory from CR bible and need to practice. Also can you tell me what the score Q-51 and V-41 means as they have 37 and 41 question respectively.

Thanks a lot anurag. That was very helpful. Can you throw some light one how the GMAT differs from CAT. I mean the type of questions and the difficulty level. I know that CAT is a Computer based test and GMAT is a computer Adaptive test.

Thanks in advance

Abhi_is_now,

For CR, I would do 3 things:

1. Buy the CR Manhattan GMAT Book; it'll help with strategy
2. Take all of the CR questions from the OG to the GMAT
3. Visit 2minutegmat.com; take the questions you get every day.

Feel free to message me.

-Anurag

thanx... anurag it is really helpful.

Hi everyone,

-Anurag

hi anurag
im working in power comp since 2 yrs.im planing to do my mba from uk and started prep of GMAT using GMAT Review book.
im very confused coz didnt get much time to study and sometimes i feel very hard to make it to good score so that i can get admited in good b school of uk. plz help me get out of this, can u suggest any classroom coaching, im in jamnagar now searched here but couldnt found

Hi Atul_K,

Thanks for your message. Here is my advice (also reread my post from above.)

If you having difficulty while completing the GMAT OG book, then purchase the Manhattan GMAT books which can help with strategy. It'll help you get started on the exam, because there is a lot of initial strategy.

For example, do you use process of elimination when answering questions?

Regarding the specific prep program, although it is online I have heard good things about the Knewton.com program. It isn't cheap though.

Send me a message on Pagalguy; I hope I can help you more.

-Anurag

hey anurag,
is having some job ex a necessity for getting admission to gud colleges???
and which are the gud gmat colgs??

hello everyone,
i am starting my preparation for gmat..i have just completed my graduation..n as everyone says..the gmat score comes into use for good universities only after a work ex of 3 to 4 yrs..i am planning to work for 3 yrs and then do my mba from abroad..
as the gmat score works for 5 yrs...is ti good that i give it right now..n use the score after 3 yrs..?or would it be beneficial to give the gmat after 3 yrs?

Hi Niksbest,

I would recommend that the sooner you take the exam, the better. The exam lasts for 5 years, and there is no preference for when you last took the exam. Most people aim to get it over with as soon as possible, because it tends to get more difficult to study as the years pass.

Feel free to message me if I can help.

-Anurag

Hi akshat.sx,

Most mba programs look for a minimum of 2 years of work experience, although most want more. 4+ years is better to have, but it isn't needed.

Where are you looking to get an MBA? In India, US, in the UK?

In the US, the top programs are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg, University of Chicago, Yale, UC Berkeley, and MIT.

Feel free to message me if I can help you out more.

-Anurag

Hi Anurag,
You have mentioned to refer "Manhattan GMAT books". Can you pls specify any particular one. Pls let me know complete names of Books. I am currently reading OG11.

Thanks

Desaitd,

Honestly, I like all of the Manhattan GMAT books (I believe there are 8.) A lot of it depends on which are your weaker points that you want to study and focus on. Try to find a friend or colleague who has it and can sell it to you for a small amount.

-Anurag

Desaitd,

Honestly, I like all of the Manhattan GMAT books (I believe there are 8.) A lot of it depends on which are your weaker points that you want to study and focus on. Try to find a friend or colleague who has it and can sell it to you for a small amount.

-Anurag

Desaitd,

-Anurag

Congrats for a great score Anurag, we all hope that u get into the college u want to !!!
My doubt reagrding Prep Strategy is, how much time frame are we looking at, if we decide to go about doing all the Manhattan (i.e 8 books) and all the three OG books?
I would ideally be comfortable with a three month time frame, but do you think, its possible to finish all these books within that time, considering the fact that I can only study for 2-3 hrs max everyday.

Please suggest, because I am planning to give it by Feb end next year, I know its a bit early, but i already have things planned at my workplace, so cannot take time out of that right now.
Also, I can crack the Quant Section without much trouble, since I gave CAT in '08, but my Achilles heel was the Verbal, for which I need to really work hard

Hi Anurag,

Could you pls tel me the best UK colleges Tier 1 and their entry requirements for the MBA.

Also, wanted to know if there are any sites on which i can take practice gmat tests , i dont mind paying a small amount for the same.