What kind of a work exp actually the best for and MBA in the US

Hi , I have been working for the last 1 year 3 months as a software engineer and i have serious doubts if i could actually show it as experience.I wonder what could be the right job which would actually make my APP an ODD one. I am plann…

Hi ,

I have been working for the last 1 year 3 months as a software engineer and i have serious doubts if i could actually show it as experience.I wonder what could be the right job which would actually make my APP an ODD one.

I am planning to search for a job which is dealing with sales & marketing and which i think is some functionality experience for any B-School.

Please clear my doubts and help me with this regard.

Regards,

R-O-C-K-S-T-A-R))

Hey,
Thats actually a very gud questions. Please anyone who can spare some time and give some invaluable inputs here.:smilecol:

regards

Hi
i think it doesn't really matter what kinda work ex u have , but what really matters is how ur adding value to ur work ex as well as to ur company .
Take example of any bschool in india abroad (IIM'S,ISB etc), maximum no of people are from Technology/Engineering

Hope it answers ur question
andy

Hi,

me thinks the kind of work -ex is also very crucial.Just to quote ur example IF max. no. of people in IIM are from Tech/Engg. it is cos the max apply from that stream.If you have a work ex which stands out ,ur chances get much better.still i don't know how much feasible it is to choose a work just cos it can highlight ur profile.

i think it doesn't really matter what kinda work ex u have , but what really matters is how ur adding value to ur work ex as well as to ur company .
andy

About this part ur very true...more so than in India, if ur plannin to apply abroad u shud show that u have added some value with ur work ex.

1 year 3 months as a software engineer and i have serious doubts if i could actually show it as experience

U can very well show that as a work ex!:wow: Dude u shudnt b absolutely honest at all times...even if u do shit u shud project it as if u save the nation everyday ! Thats what marketing is all about. More insights u'll get in Simba's fascinatin articles on international MBA!

but what really matters is how ur adding value to ur work ex as well as to ur company .
Take example of any bschool in india abroad (IIM'S,ISB etc), maximum no of people are from Technology/Engineering

U really thnk all of the Techies do real value added stuff?:wow: Its on the contrary...or more so depends on what u call value add. Irrespective of the sector u work in, u do add some or the other value both to ur work and ur company. Most techies nowadays belong to the sftware field and if u will cast a glance to a few of the forums, u will find out what the techies have to say on this

btw....Welcome to our forum and have a nice stay

Cheers

hey there...well this is one question i`ve asked dozens of b-school representatives and profs at several education fares, and the answers have all been similar. For starters, ANY work you do, whether software or sanitation, counts as work experience. There is no "right" work experience for a B-school. If that were the case, B-schools abroad would be full of ppl from the same field, which is contrary to what most schools take pride in declaring--"diversity of student backgrounds." There was this guy i read abt in the papers who got admit into stanford, he was a professional mountaineer and trekked the Everest (that was a HUGE proof of his teamwork skills, something that`s essential to a manager) and there was this guy in ISB who had worked in the army and won several medals (that proved his bravery, guts, and decision making ability in crisis situations, again important for a manager).

So the point here is, it doesn`t matter what kind of work u do, it`s what u learn out of it, what u contribute to it, and what skills of yours does it project. There`s a whole breed out there which thinks that if you sit in a cubicle in Microsoft and write java code, not bothering urself with the wrold around u, harvard will welcome u with open arms at the end of 4 years! the first question they'll ask you is: what have u learnt out of your work, and your answer better not be something like "Application of the MVC software architecture using struts framework on the J2ME platform for the design of dynamic run-time XML components"!!! ppl doing routine, mundane and highly technical work do tend to face the wrath of admission committees of b-schools coz they tend to focus too much of technical skills. Wen u`re a manager, you wouldn`t be coding at all...so it doesn`t matter if u are a code-wiz, get it?

so if u`ve worked as a software engineer, u might wanna tell them how u identified ways of improving your team`s productivity, how u made intelligent suggestions abt refining your software life cycles, how u "rescued" your team out of a potential crisis situation through your hard work etc, etc...hehehe...get creative man!! buy your boss some flowers and maybe he'll say nice things in his recommendation letter.

As for your sales and marketing venture, i'd say, being an entry level employee in sales would be worse than being in software coz at least in software you can prove your quantitative, intellectual, and problem solving capabilities. not so easy to establish yourself in sales n marktg, unless you're a wiz. so don`t take any rash/foolish steps.

As for someone`s opinions on IIM engineers, aren`t we forgetting that most of these guys are freshers and they`re there not coz of the extrordinary work experience they had. they're there coz u need to be really good and fast at math to get thru CAT, and engineers just HAPPEN to be good at it. ANYWAYS, BEST OF LUCK!

hi puys,

I am working as a IT recruiter in a company in NCR since 6 months and want to pursue MBA in future..
Just want to know will this work experience of IT recruiter be considered as a relevant work ex for IIMs or ISB ????