What is my gmat score?

I gave my gmat this morning at chennai in the 9 am slot. if in the gmat the exam scores range from 200 marks to 800 marks , what is my gmat score, 1) the score is the product of a prime number and 10, the difference between the score and the…

I gave my gmat this morning at chennai in the 9 am slot. if in the gmat the exam scores range from 200 marks to 800 marks , what is my gmat score,

1) the score is the product of a prime number and 10, the difference between the score and the max mark is also the product of a prime number and 10

2) the digits in the hundreds place of my score is 4 greater than the digit in the tens place.

a) statement 1 alone is enough to answer the ques but statement 2 is not enuff

b) statement 2 alone is enough to answer the ques but statement 1 is not enuff

c) both statements together are enuff but neither alone is

d) either statement alone is

e) the statements together are not enuff extra info needed

:) πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ :)

I know it aint a big deal there are puys who dwarf me with 750, 770 and more but nevertheless I am not upset. (not very happy too for was aiming at 770 myself at least 750 πŸ˜‰ ). Will post a debrief by tonight in this thread as is customary with puys. Now wanna rest a bit , am tired from getting up at 6 and sitting in the hall for 4 hrs.

Will also post a detailed acknowledgements and all that in the debrief but for now i want to thank ChanduChick, the dudette from PG whose reply played a vital role in making me realize that , when it came to cracking the gmat - i wasnt bad . ;-)

cheers,
--Badri--

I gave my gmat this morning at chennai in the 9 am slot. if in the gmat the exam scores range from 200 marks to 800 marks , what is my gmat score,

1) the score is the product of a prime number and 10, the difference between the score and the max mark is also the product of a prime number and 10

2) the digits in the hundreds place of my score is 4 greater than the digit in the tens place.

:) πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ :)

730 is a good score.
Congrats :thumbsup:
ATB with apping.
730 is a good score.
Congrats :thumbsup:
ATB with apping.

Thanks Harsha u really Rock πŸ˜ƒ

But nevertheless thats the wrong answer its not even mentioned in the choices πŸ˜ƒ

cheers,
--Badri--

730 is a good score.

Thanks Harsha u really Rock πŸ˜ƒ

But nevertheless thats the wrong answer its not even mentioned in the choices πŸ˜ƒ

cheers,
--Badri--

My post answers the question posted on the thread title
Of course,on Data Sufficiency it is option c
But I guess I have implied that :)

Any chance of me being wrong now? ;)

Btw,some innovation there :thumbsup:
πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

(do i need to say anymore)

--Badri--
:) πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

(do i need to say anymore)

--Badri--

:dontgeti:

Sorry for spamming but I'm only curious now :eh:

What's your score? πŸ˜‰
That's what I call GMAT hangover ;)

I am so happy to see such first post on GMAT success thread... that I am thanking every post

@HR... c'mon it's not even one day old thread... you're not the only one curious here... give us some time you future blue MOD!

Ok here is the debrief i promised.

The Idea:

Around Feb this year my cousin who made it to tuck 2010 batch convinced me that GMAT was a good idea. Until then i really had no plans to give GMAT or try for an abroad MBA. So i convinced a pal of mine to take a test with me on a sunday to see where we stand. I had made up my mind that if i scored less than 600 in the test i wouldnt take the gmat. We took a crack gmat mock test in which i scored a 640 and he somewhere above 550. I was convinced that GMAT was crackable.

The Booking:

Armed with my conviction in mid March I booked a slot for myself , decided that August wud be the best time since I will have atleast 5 months to prepare. I chose 17th since the number 8 has always been lucky for me and 15th happened to be a holiday . Chose chennai over hyd , even though I live and work in hyd cos my parents are here in chennai and hence was kinda senti abt going to the exam after taking their blessings πŸ˜‰

The Preparation:

This is the most interesting part. I might seem a bit boastful in here but the idea is to give hopes to all late starters. I have no intentions of being boastful.

I purchased Princeton Reviewing Cracking the GMAT somewhere in May , till then work load and all that had kept me away from starting my prep. In May someone convinced me that it was high time I start so purchased the book. But it wasnt until my birthday on June 16th that i opened the book. I am serious I was always lazy about preparing for exams and the trend continued with GMAT preps too. I read meticulously for about a week , finished the quant chapters in the book. But the meticulousness dint stay, work and personal life soon started interfering and till early July I was doing nothing about GMAT.

Somewhere in the second week of july i took two more mock tests and posted this

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/to-take-or-not-to-take-pls-help-25024469

Also in the meanwhile i completed the verbal chapters of the princeton book i had purchased. By completed, i mean reading the chapters.

But yet, I was still extremely confused as to whether I must proceed with taking the GMAT or buy another months time. It wasnt until 17th July exactly one month before my D-Day, that someone came to my rescue, ChanduChick answered my query in here

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/gmat-and-related-discussions/23093-gmat-takers-in-august-2007-a-30.html#post818610

and boosted my morale with her positive reply(dudette yet again thanks for the same). I listened to her advice and took a powerprep to see where i stood and my score was around 700-710 i guess. She said cracking the GMAT from where i stood with a one month prep should be possible. I was happy and decided to start practicing sincerely. But work and bad health again interfered.

and then I wasted time deciding on schools and all that, as is clear from this thread

Thanks to nagpalkunal http://www.pagalguy.com/@nagpalkunal for taking time to answer my queries there.

I wasted time and days rolled by and before I could realize it was already august. So I decided it was high time and created my battle plan.

I took a week off from work and shifted gears somewhere around second week of august. Was down with high temperature due to throat and ear infection in the first week of august and hence reading was out of scope. But in what would be my one sincere week of preparation(the second week of august) for the gmat I meticulously followed this strategy

i) Morning take one test without AWA (150 min)
ii)Afternoon analyze answers and errors,Based on the analysis find out which section i am week in (60 min)
iii)Evening read for abt 1-2hrs some chapters from the princeton book that concerned the section I found myself most weak in.

Sometimes in the nights i used to take a mock mock test where in the scores really dint matter i was just trying to keep my brain from cooling down. Also the tests that came along with the powerprep book allowed me to see what i scored after each question this helped me a bit to analyze how many mistakes were ok, when in the exam and how many of questions i had to get right initially to achieve my target scores of Quants 51 and Verbal 42

6 Tests and scores varying from 580(Kaplan) to 730(PowerPrep) later I was convinced that I would score a 700+ in GMAT.

(P.S: although my pals where good enough to gift me kaplan , kaplan 800 and the so hyped OG I really dint have time to check them out)

The Day before the D-Day :

Gave a princeton mock in which I scored a 630. Read a bit from the book(princeton) abt the one topic i had totally ignored AWA. Watched 3 hrs of F.R.I.E.N.D.S (thanks to my dvd collection). Revisited SC section of the book. Watched tonight show by Jay Leno and pushed off to sleep somewhere around 1 am after mindlessly surfing tv channels for abt 2 hrs or so.

The D-Day:

My house being considerably far away from the testing centre so had to get up at 6 am get ready and leave by 7 am. Had asked dad to bring 2 cans of Red Bull which he did , so armed with my red bulls, passport and the printout of the appointment , i left home after taking my parents blessings.

Reached the centre at 8.05 after one hour of travelling. Was a bit tired but unfortunately test centre was closed. Had gotten drenched a bit in the rain hence was feeling cold and my bladders where troubling me big time but all offices in the building where closed. It wasnt until 8.45 that the folks at pearson vue came and opened the centre. Finished all formalities, answered natures call , drank a can of red bull and went on to take the challenge.

AWA :

The question started and i started to panic. The lack of experience or whatever made me a bit unconscious, yes unconscious, I dint realize what was happening for a couple of minutes , but then i recovered and wrote something(not expecting more than 5-5.5 in fact even 4 is a possibility) and completed the AWA sections.

I did follow the think for ten minutes write for 20 strategy but in the ten minutes i thought i really couldnt come up with much points. Just thought of 3 points to create 3 paras from , how i will start the passage and how i will end the passage(in fact i wrote the last para first) and took to writing. I am very good at typing so finished each section abt 6-7min before alloted time.

Learn from my mistakes/experience:
i) Prepare for AWA if not for scoring to prevent a bad performance in that section from affecting ur morale prepare for AWA.
ii) Use the time effectively, after the sections were done I was thinking "probably i shud have used the 6 min to analyze what i wrote than clicking next" dont do that.
iii)Write a couple of essay thinking they will be evaluated before the D-Day

The Break:

Promptly came out of the hall during the break, drank the remaining red bull from can 1 and threw the can away. Stretched a bit and then went back in.

Quants:

I love maths, give me some puzzles and i will isolate myself from the rest of the world. Am a national mathematics olympiad silver medalist, scored 99 in 10th and 12th, a 800 in quants in gre and also consistently scored 50-51 in most mocks. Nah not boasting just making it clear that perhaps you really shouldnt be going by advice if u are mathematically challenged.

I am totally convinced that my first 20 math answers were all correct , I was so happy while taking the test that i enjoyed each problem as the difficulty increased. I found that as the difficulty increased GMAT gets more tricky rather than tough. The questions are wordy and have lots of hidden details. I rechecked my answers , plugged in wherever i cud before I confirmed. It was during my 21st ques that i realized by sheer stroke of luck that I had 17 more to go and only 12 min πŸ˜ƒ

I paniced , wasnt used to this , where very particular about the timing in all mocks 12-13 questions in 25min i kept saying but here i was in the GMAT with 12min for 17 ques. I made some intelligent guesses, solved whatever i could but the equation came to 10 Questions 4 mins. Now i had no chance but to run thru the questions. Nevertheless some of them were so damn simple that the answer was quite obvious , i signed a NDA so am not sure if i can disclose the ques here but i will tell u this much that strangely some of the last 10 ques were very simple. The equation then came to 1 ques 16 seconds and I dint even read the ques πŸ˜ƒ

i) Pace yourself, it affects ur morale if u arent sure how much u will score.
ii)Watch out for tricky ques, read ques very carefully, every word of it. Must give it to GMAC, some of the questions i got where really wow, although simple they had a lot of elements to consider and i enjoyed solving them.
iii)Dont panic, well easier said than done, I know,but it really doesnt help, my legs where shaking and that only affected my concentration.
iv) Getting as many initial ques correct as possible really pays πŸ˜ƒ

The Break :

What else the other can of red bull

Verbal :
I was and am pathetic at verbal. Most of my mocks i scored somewhere near 33-34

There was only one strategy for verbal that i had formed from the mocks. I had no plan b . I needed to score a 42 and for that it was imperative to get the first 10 ques right.

This is how i went abt 11 ques -30 min, there after each ques one and half minutes. Had 4 RCs but they were alright. Finished verbal with 12 min to spare which means i answered 30 questions in 33 min πŸ˜ƒ

Something told me i had done well and hence at least a 40 was assured. So clicked on to end exam.

i) Pay attention to the first ten questions.
ii)I lost focus in between for 2-3 ques i just dint think twice , you may want to avoid that perhaps take deep breaths and regain focus.
iii)Work on SCs i am sure my RCs and CRs were mostly right but most of my SCs were wrong, Its always been my weak point.
iv) Focus on ur strength since i knew that SC was my weak point , I did all i could to ensure that i got the Rcs and CRs right I guess it helped.
v) Dont focus on ur weak point, although on the d-day u dont want to have any weak points if u do have one take a guess when u have to and move on its ok.

The useless section :

a math catastrophe, an ok verbal and all i wanted to see was my score but GMAC wont let me to, they wanted to verify background and whats odd , the section was timed too πŸ˜ƒ I dint read what was written in any of those pages. Clicked away till it asked do u want to report scores, for a few moments considered cancelling but then gathered couraged and clicked report.

My scorecard
Math : Score- 49; %ile- 89
Verbal : Score- 40; %ile- 89
Total : Score- 730; %ile- 96

I pumped my fist in the air, was very happy. Came out of the hall and jumped up pumping my fist as if i had taken sachins wicket(or perhaps pontings taking sachin's is quite easy these days but i am digressing)

It was after about 5 min that i realized that my target was a 750+ and that i had scored less than my usual 50-51 in math and felt a little bad.

i) Since college first year my day starts at 10 am , thats when i mostly wake up. If u are like me u may want to get up early atleast for a week before the d-day to tune ur body. This might sound funny but is not. My metabolic clock works at 10 sharp i am sure u can guess how it affected my gmat performance , i was for once sad that i had nt listened to my dad abt getting up earlier than i used to.
ii) Practice sitting for 4 hrs in the same slot as ur d-day
iii) Dont mean to hurt anyone but OG and all the truck load of papers and samples are totally worthless if u dont know what u are doing. Take regular mocks, see where u stand and only concentrate on ur weak sections for sometime. GMAT is not an exam that can be conquered by cramming.
iv) Set targets and work for them, whenever i took a mock before the test i used to tell myself the target is v40 q50 or wateva based on where i wanted to improve it really helps.
v) I was initially very demoralized by reading some posts in PG about how people prepared. If you are likely to get demoralized too then listen to this what works for one need not work for another. Find out whats stopping you to score on that instead of arbitarily practicising something or reading just abt anything folks say is a good material.
vi) With 6 days serious work, abt 10-12 casual, one book(which wasnt OG) and 8 mocks i did it so u can too.
vii) Take lot of mock tests.
viii) And yes drink red bull πŸ˜ƒ (it gives u wings and nah i dont work for them)

Apping:

Well not sure what my plans are , thinking ISB and GLIM . Have got some soul searching to do to see what i really really want lets see.

Finally :

Good luck to all those who are planning to write their exam in the near future. I am not sure if my post helped but if it dint and/or you have a specific query do post i will do my best to help.

cheers,
--Badri--

Congrates buddy, that was good details given....

Hey can u tell how many questions approximately u can afford to get wrong in quants & verbal section to get 700 score atleast... i know its not tht straight to answer but assuming first few questions where right.. U must have analysed your mock test and found how many u were getting wrong question.. Well m giving Gmat in Oct ...

Ankit

congo for the 730 !!!

I liked your ur first post πŸ˜ƒ :)

It would be great if u post ur profile and the colleges you are looking at.

Congrates buddy, that was good details given....

Hey can u tell how many questions approximately u can afford to get wrong in quants & verbal section to get 700 score atleast... i know its not tht straight to answer but assuming first few questions where right.. U must have analysed your mock test and found how many u were getting wrong question.. Well m giving Gmat in Oct ...

Ankit
Ankit,

Thanks dude, to answer ur query ....

The number of ques u can get wrong varies based on during what part of the exam u are getting them wrong. Obviously you know that. Based on my mocks i concluded that it was possible to get a 700 with as high as 11 wrong answers in quants and 17 in verbal but this is assuming your first 20 answers in math and first 10-12 in verbal are all correct. I found that even with 25% wrong answers in general a 730-740 was reachable.

P.S: dont want to sound pedantic but work on how many u can get right rather than how many u can get wrong ;-)

ATB for ur GMAT
--Badri--
congo for the 730 !!!

I liked your ur first post :smile: :smile:

It would be great if u post ur profile and the colleges you are looking at. __________________
Amit Agarwal, FMS FT - Class of 2009

Thanks Amit, dunno why the first thing that occured to me on seeing 730 was 73 is prime :)

I am a Bachelor of Engineering , Electrical and Electronics from Univ of Madras, got 4 years work ex in IT field. Play the role of a module lead in Motorola. Started 2 companies that bombed , am currently somewhat successfully running a third in partnership with 3 friends. Got pretty good acads i wud say 90% CBSE 10th and 12th and 81% in Engg. My Extra currics are nt that great. Have won some competitions thats it.

Plan to app to ISB and GLIM cos i really cant afford an US MBA . Also somehow a 2 yrs MBA seems somewhat ikky to me. Am also considering MISM at carnegie mellon , IMBA at Moore chiefly cos they are affordable and the course looks good from what i saw and my talks with alums. Am doing some soul searching to find out what more i can do . Got a dream of doing a MBA from Stern, Cornell, TUCK or LSB if i can afford the same. Lets see what god has planned for me.

Well i guess that answers your question :)

cheers,
--Badri--
Thanks Amit, dunno why the first thing that occured to me on seeing 730 was 73 is prime :)

I am a Bachelor of Engineering , Electrical and Electronics from Univ of Madras, got 4 years work ex in IT field. Play the role of a module lead in Motorola. Started 2 companies that bombed , am currently somewhat successfully running a third in partnership with 3 friends. Got pretty good acads i wud say 90% CBSE 10th and 12th and 81% in Engg. My Extra currics are nt that great. Have won some competitions thats it.

Plan to app to ISB and GLIM cos i really cant afford an US MBA . Also somehow a 2 yrs MBA seems somewhat ikky to me. Am also considering MISM at carnegie mellon , IMBA at Moore chiefly cos they are affordable and the course looks good from what i saw and my talks with alums. Am doing some soul searching to find out what more i can do . Got a dream of doing a MBA from Stern, Cornell, TUCK or LSB if i can afford the same. Lets see what god has planned for me.

Well i guess that answers your question :)

cheers,
--Badri--

ya it really does πŸ˜ƒ :)

As for the affordability part for the US MBA, one can easily get loans for the same and every penny spent is worth it :)

your profile is really interesting and I dont see any issue of you NOT getting the school of ur choice πŸ˜ƒ :)

ATB for the apping and I know how tough the whole process is. Needless to say, you can ping me for any help anytime

:thumbsup:

Oh thts great buddy... 11 in quants & 17 in verbal... i thought we hardly can get around 5 wrong in quants and 10 in verbal... Well i know first few question are very imp.. But that was good help from your side... Actually m like yours very good in quants and trying to be very good in verbal.... Will give my first mock test in 2-3 days...

Where ru going to apply????

wolverine,

I am glad i cud help ATB for ur test see my reply to amit for the college list

amit,

glad i cud help, thanks for the offer will ping u very soon

--Badri--

wolverine,

I am glad i cud help ATB for ur test see my reply to amit for the college list

amit,

glad i cud help, thanks for the offer will ping u very soon

--Badri--

Hey have u written Essays.... Can u tell me where to start at in essays??? And how many essays have u written??

And during Gmat along with ID proof and all we have to give 5 names of college where we have to apply.. Do we have to take essays & other documents or its just GMAT scorecard that they r sending to the Universities???
Hey have u written Essays.... Can u tell me where to start at in essays??? And how many essays have u written??

And during Gmat along with ID proof and all we have to give 5 names of college where we have to apply.. Do we have to take essays & other documents or its just GMAT scorecard that they r sending to the Universities???

Wolverine,

No dude not started with the essays yet. I really cant help u in there since i am myself looking for help. I am not sure what GMAC sends to the schools but u dont have to take anything to the exam hall except ur id proof and the acknowledgement letter print out.

When is ur d- Day

cheers,
--Badri--
Wolverine,

No dude not started with the essays yet. I really cant help u in there since i am myself looking for help. I am not sure what GMAC sends to the schools but u dont have to take anything to the exam hall except ur id proof and the acknowledgement letter print out.

When is ur d- Day

cheers,
--Badri--

Well my D day is 20th Oct, actually thts why m worried abt essays.. Coz after exam i will not have more days to do them... Also i have still Toefl to give after Gmat in just few days of it...