What is IELTS

Hi, I did conduct a search on the existing threads related to IELTS but didn’t find an answer to my questions. Puys can Someone please explain what is the IELTS about ? Does it involve a Hearing ,Essay Writing and Speaking Test as well . …

Hi,
I did conduct a search on the existing threads related to IELTS but didn't find an answer to my questions.
Puys can Someone please explain what is the IELTS about ?
Does it involve a Hearing ,,Essay Writing and Speaking Test as well .
If it is strictly an English Language test , will not the essays and speeches be tested for content.
How should one prepare for the IELTS if one chooses to study on his / her own ?
Thanks

Hi,
I did conduct a search on the existing threads related to IELTS but didn't find an answer to my questions.
Puys can Someone please explain what is the IELTS about ?
Does it involve a Hearing ,,Essay Writing and Speaking Test as well .
If it is strictly an English Language test , will not the essays and speeches be tested for content.
How should one prepare for the IELTS if one chooses to study on his / her own ?
Thanks

Hi ramneetazad,

1. Puys can Someone please explain what is the IELTS about ?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an English language proficiency exam which measures the ability of test-takers to communicate in the four basic language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.

There are two versions of the IELTS exam: general and academic. Test-takers must know in advance which one is needed for their purposes as the scores are not interchangeable. Each test lasts two hours and forty-five minutes.

Academic: those who want to study in an English-medium school, college, or university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

General: those who wish to apply for immigration to countries such as Canada, Australia, or New Zealand

2. Does it involve a Hearing ,Essay Writing and Speaking Test as well .
It involves Listening, Speaking, Writing, and Reading.
The results from these 4 sections are graded on the unique IELTS 9 - Band scale.The test covers the full range of ability from non-user to expert user.
There is no restriction on number of attempts.

Listening- 4 sections , 40 questions , 30 minutes

Reading ( Academic- 3 sections , 40 questions , 60 minutes
/General)

Writing ( Academic- 3 sections , 40 questions , 60 minutes
/General)

Speaking11 to 14 minutes of face to face interview.

3. If it is strictly an English Language test , will not the essays and speeches be tested for content.

Your Essay part will come in Writing scetion and Speech will in Speaking section.

4. How should one prepare for the IELTS if one chooses to study on his / her own ?
It generally takes 2-3 months to practise in all 4 sections of IELTS module(if you are good in english). Please refer the below links which gives you a better idea how to start prepare for the IELTS exam:

IELTS - Basic Info | Good Luck IELTS
IELTS Exam Preparation : Your IELTS Online
IELTS Writing Letters How to start and finish engVid

Hope this helps you.

Let me know if you have any concern on this.

cheers-
Ankit
Hi ramneetazad,

1. Puys can Someone please explain what is the IELTS about ?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. It is an English language proficiency exam which measures the ability of test-takers to communicate in the four basic language skills: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.

There are two versions of the IELTS exam: general and academic. Test-takers must know in advance which one is needed for their purposes as the scores are not interchangeable. Each test lasts two hours and forty-five minutes.

Academic: those who want to study in an English-medium school, college, or university in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

General: those who wish to apply for immigration to countries such as Canada, Australia, or New Zealand

2. Does it involve a Hearing ,Essay Writing and Speaking Test as well .
It involves Listening, Speaking, Writing, and Reading.
The results from these 4 sections are graded on the unique IELTS 9 - Band scale.The test covers the full range of ability from non-user to expert user.
There is no restriction on number of attempts.

Listening- 4 sections , 40 questions , 30 minutes

Reading ( Academic- 3 sections , 40 questions , 60 minutes
/General)

Writing ( Academic- 3 sections , 40 questions , 60 minutes
/General)

Speaking11 to 14 minutes of face to face interview.

3. If it is strictly an English Language test , will not the essays and speeches be tested for content.

Your Essay part will come in Writing scetion and Speech will in Speaking section.

4. How should one prepare for the IELTS if one chooses to study on his / her own ?
It generally takes 2-3 months to practise in all 4 sections of IELTS module(if you are good in english). Please refer the below links which gives you a better idea how to start prepare for the IELTS exam:

IELTS - Basic Info | Good Luck IELTS
IELTS Exam Preparation : Your IELTS Online
IELTS Writing Letters How to start and finish engVid

Hope this helps you.

Let me know if you have any concern on this.

cheers-
Ankit

Hi Ankit , sorry for the late reply. Wasnt aware pagalguy messages members when someone posts a message on the same thread.
You said there are 2 versions of the IELTS ie Academic and general ; since i am trying for immigration as well as Studies abroad, does it mean that i will have to appear for both the versions and therefore pay twice for the two exams.
Hi Ankit , sorry for the late reply. Wasnt aware pagalguy messages members when someone posts a message on the same thread.
You said there are 2 versions of the IELTS ie Academic and general ; since i am trying for immigration as well as Studies abroad, does it mean that i will have to appear for both the versions and therefore pay twice for the two exams.

Hello ramneetazad,

If you are looking for post studies as well as immigration abroad you need to have to give both the tests(Academic and General), I understood your concern but the scores are not interchangeable(you cannot show the Academic score while applying for immigartion ) and yes you have to pay for both the exams separately 😞 sorry dear.

But what I researched and found is that both the versions are same in Listening and Speaking but not in Reading and Writing.

But my suggestion is you to make a plan and think which one exam is more important for you now because now the IELTS score is valid for two years(previously it was valid for one year), so this can give you more time to give the other exam later.

you can refer to this link also: IELTS | Test Takers Home Page

- Ankit

Is there any way I could get my IELTS essays evaluated online?