What's the change you are going to bring today

As the title says, " What’s the change you are going to bring today?" This has been going on in my head for a long time.The reason behind starting this thread are few posts on Quota thread, which talked about RDB kind of reaction and looking …

Gnr :thumbsup:

As the saying goes, set your own house in order before setting out to change the world. So I have decided, I will not litter on the streets anymore I will force my friends also to dispose any waste only in the dustbin and ask them to do the same to their friends. Chain reaction;). Might not be a big initiative but certainly good for starters.

Cheers...

I will stop the food wastage that i do each time i eat lunch at my office.
The food doesnt taste all that great but then i should be taking only as much as i can eat.

Great thread!

At home I usually switch off all the electirc equipments if they are not in use including PC, lights, fan etc etc to save electricity.
At workplace too I try to do the same thing i.e. try to switch off the lights of the discussion rooms if they are not in use and also I do regularly advise the same to all the team members in our project through regular mails and group announcements :D
Also in the signature of my mail I have included, the following quote:
PPlease consider the environment before printing this e-mail

which reminds everybody to not to print the papers carelessly

This is what I have doing from quite some time and would also like everyone to follow the same so that we can give little things to the environment
Cheers!!
Siddharth

I had received some environment sensitivty mail arnd 2 weeks ago, after readin it, I decided that I would print the pages on both sides of the sheet, while earlier in ofc I was as careless as possible. Also, now I switch off the PC before leaving for the day while earlier I din't even turn off the monitor.

Change is usually small for me. Apart from change see if daily I can learn or share something with someone else. Today I plan to see How I can learn more about dealing with ANGER 😃 and I would like to share this amazing post on how small changes:
Dave writes a amazing blog - some of the posts are amazing read. Reads more concentration thought!
How to Save the World

I am trying to prevent people from taking unnecessary prints. Everytime one has a meeting, there are pages and pages of prints being carried. I recommend that people use soft copies, as far as possible. Also, if something like a PowerPoint needs to be printed, instead of printing each individual slide on one page, one can print 3-4 slides on one page, without compromising anything. :thumbsup:

They say small things change the larger picture. I don't believe it. But as the work and studies are parrenially on our head, small is how we make it. There is this organisation. iVolunteer : Want to Volunteer ..... Once you sign up and get accepted, they will post you in some village to teach and some other social work. 6 weeks. They pay for travel and accomodation. Its good especiially for freshers like me who want to do something different before joining the rigmaroles of work and a job life.

first of all i wud like to metion the things which i do regularly so that ne1 who endorse my views can also follow these practices..:)

1. I never waste food.For me its...take as much s u can eat...
2. I never give money to beggars..if they want food/medicines etc i personally purchase dem nd give them to needy...
3. I give water to a plant everyday :)

Now what i am going to do from today..:

1. Make ppl aware of the importance of drinking water...its said that the 3rd world war will be coz of shortage of drinking water...I will make sure not to waste dringink water...

2. Will request ppl to throw der waste in dusbin rather than on roads...Afterall all of us need greener and cleaner city...nd its only we who can make tat possible 😃

2. Will request ppl to throw der waste in dusbin rather than on roads...Afterall all of us need greener and cleaner city...nd its only we who can make tat possible :)

I too strongly believe in this. And I think its rightly said "charity beings at home". therefore I make it a point to throw any kinda waste in the dustbin or if I'm traveling carry it in my bag and dump it in the nearest bin.

Also I sometimes try to make people do the same, but somethings don't change or rather some people dnt change. For ex people have a habit of throwing waste outside the window (trains, cars) or like my frnds who jus dump chips packets, papers arnd.. which annoys me. Thus I gleefully request them to hand over the waste to me, I will throw it in the dustbin for them. Some of them do get embrassed but I jus hope they would not repeat it again. According to me before trying to make the change outside one should start with themselves. And this my small way of starting it.

Later sometime I would like to do this more often and make people realize not only the importance of keep Mumbai clean but also the chalta hai attitude and of not caring about your surroundings/Living beings.

Sometime ago couple of my Friends and I had discussed a similar idea for bringing about change, it was called Kuch Karna hai.To say lil about it.. it was helping people with resources, expert openings et al in our small way to make a change most close to their heart. That project is still being discussed but would definitely like to take it to the next level soon.

Just a couple of days back i was on my way to mumbai when we stopped on the expressway for a quick snack. Now some of us do like a nice cool juice or cola after a snack and thats what took me to the guy selling all kinds of refreshment.
I asked him for a minute maid pulpy orange and gave him 25 bucks.

As i start to walk away the guy on the counter calls me and says it costs 30 bucks. Now i know that it doesnt having bought it on numerous occassions before and i tell him so. I showed him the cost price and said that i am not paying a penny more than the printer MRP. I asked him why was he charging the extra 5 bucks. He says its cooling and transportation charge. But i say everything is included in the MRP and you cant charge me for that.He looks the other way and attends to another customer after having taken my cold drink back.

Now this is not a one off incident. There are many such places where people charge us more. And we do not bother. The way we think is "5 Rs ke liye kyon argue kare. Lets pay 5 more and go. Hamein kaha roz roz aana hai."

So what i do is till the time we are there at this hotel on the highway i stand near the counter and tell whoever comes to buy that he is charging more please don't buy from him. Some people do get my point and have the same argument with the guy at the counter. But then there are some who think in a manner i have mentioned and go ahead and pay the extra amount.

If we as one decide not to buy by paying anything above the MRP do you think the guy will have any option but to sell at MRP. It is just because some people do not bother. I mean its only 5 bucks but you have earned it. You dont get money growing on trees and you are already paying 25 bucks and not buying the thing for free. So then why pay extra.

This is not the case at just one place. You find this thing at numerous places and these people literally rob you of your hard earned money. But do we say anything?

I did my bit. Thats all i could do. I hope everyone does their bit too.

-Ali

Ok a quick one and hopefully the simplest one we often ignore too............
Remember how we use words like "Typical Indian mentality", "This country has no chance left to improve", "Indian can create no authority in sports" etc.
But next time before uttering all this in cafes, trains and other public places remember we (in particular PG puys) are face of developed India and fellow country men (like the waiter serving you tea at street corner stall) looks forward to us for optimism and enthusiasm, and by saying all this we might be hampering the Brand India and in particular create wrong impression in India's biggest strength its citizens (1/6 of the world now!!). So things may look bleak sometimes but then once even freedom use to be considered a distant dream in this country but that never stopped Bhagat Singh from striving for it till his last breath!!
" Kuchh khaas hai ki hasti mit ti nahin humaari" :)

Hope next time we will think twice before criticizing without offering concrete solutions.
Andy

This is something i have been doing for 4 years now . What do u do when you are done eating a chocolate or a pack of lays . We just throw the wrapper on the road without even a prick of guilt . But then all we do is sulk that our country is dirty without even realizing we are the very ones who are doing it .When asked we give the usual excuse "how does one wrapper of mine matter? " .They are so many doing it . The fact is everyone thinks the same . So next time you eat a chocolate don't litter . If you dont find a bin , which in our country is mostly the case , put it in your left back pocket (do u ever use that pocket) and drop it when u find a bin . If you have friends around and they are gonna litter get their wrappers too . That will make them realize.

Remember - Everything should start from within us first .

leonadis Says
We just through the wrapper on the road without even a prick of guilt.

throw

Even i have been doing the same for a very long time.. I think from the time I passed out from school. I was the point of all jokes for doing the same.

Very true.. Set the man right and the country will become right

Regards
Geo
I was the point of all jokes for doing the same
Exactly George - This is something that many who want to be different and conscious face. Though i have not faced much of this ridicule , i know how it is to be the laughing stock among friends . They think what they do is cool . This cool thing is what is spoiling most youngsters . Ridiculing India and glorifying western countries is one such thing . I use my middle finger to respond to these fellows .

Remember - Others laugh at you because you are different . You have to laugh at them because they are all the same

This may not be considered as a very big thing but yet posting it here...
In my office we get food coupons where breakfast is charged Rs.1.50 and Lunch is charged Rs.3.00...Its buffet system and we can take as much as we want.So people have this habit of taking more and then they land up wasting food.
Our office just inaugerated a new plant and had a new canteen.So new rules in new canteen.What we did was we kept a rule that everyone should Rinse their plates after eating.So obviously people started taking less coz they had to take efforts to throw the remaining in dust bin and then rinse it..
Yet there were some people who still dint improve.Now one day i was having this lunch with my colleague who have habit of taking more and eating less:|..So i simply told her "Tu itna toh khayegi nahi toh itna kyon le rahi hai" She felt bad initially..But to my surprise she took limited food from next day itself..
I dont know whether my approach was correct or wrong..But i feel satisfied atleast i did some effort..

..................They are so many doing it . The fact is everyone thinks the same . So next time you eat a chocolate don't litter . If you dont find a bin , which in our country is mostly the case , put it in your left back pocket (do u ever use that pocket) and drop it when u find a bin . ..........

Even i have been doing the same for a very long time.. I think from the time I passed out from school. I was the point of all jokes for doing the same.

.............So it is either my pockets or my bag, until i find a dustbin.

............... Just goes to show that there is a huge difference between literacy and education
Cheers,
Rohit

In continuation lemme tell you a very interesting incident from last to last PG meet......there is this adorable puy (talented I must say) in habit of pulling every other fellow's legs on some or the other issue and after the meet got over some four of us started walking our way back home when he saw this small wrapper of kit-kat in my hand.......and Man that's it.....he asked me to just throw it on the road side ....and on my polite refusals it got converted into some other issue where he asked me to throw that wrapper immediately if I consider him as my friend.....:neutral:.....to which I replied if my friends are more bothered by small wrapper than me then its my pleasure to be alone ;).................
Seriously if some of you have not already tried this,just do it for the first time, i mean when next time you go to these beaches, lakes, railway stations inspite of all litter around try carrying your wrappers or my-cans to the nearest dustbins......whatever effort it may take for the first time......and believe me the kind of satisfaction you will feel will be sufficient enough to carry on the same practice all your life...........like they say........ Old habits die hard.........both good & bad ;)

Andy :)
This may not be considered as a very big thing but yet posting it here...
In my office we get food coupons where breakfast is charged Rs.1.50 and Lunch is charged Rs.3.00...Its buffet system and we can take as much as we want.So people have this habit of taking more and then they land up wasting food.
Our office just inaugerated a new plant and had a new canteen.So new rules in new canteen.What we did was we kept a rule that everyone should Rinse their plates after eating.So obviously people started taking less coz they had to take efforts to throw the remaining in dust bin and then rinse it..
Yet there were some people who still dint improve.Now one day i was having this lunch with my colleague who have habit of taking more and eating less:|..So i simply told her "Tu itna toh khayegi nahi toh itna kyon le rahi hai" She felt bad initially..But to my surprise she took limited food from next day itself..
I dont know whether my approach was correct or wrong..But i feel satisfied atleast i did some effort..

I always do the same. I have a habit of finishing the last grain of rice in my plate. And whether it was my company, college or a restaurant I always keep rebuking people not to leave food in the plate. But they hardly listen.
And unlike in littering, here we cannot ask people to give their plates so I can finish it up. The idea about making people rinse their own plates should be implemented everywhere.

A thing I do on most days is before I sleep, I check all the taps in our bathrooms since many students leave them running or dripping.
Just a couple of days back i was on my way to mumbai when we stopped on the expressway for a quick snack. Now some of us do like a nice cool juice or cola after a snack and thats what took me to the guy selling all kinds of refreshment.
I asked him for a minute maid pulpy orange and gave him 25 bucks.

As i start to walk away the guy on the counter calls me and says it costs 30 bucks. Now i know that it doesnt having bought it on numerous occassions before and i tell him so. I showed him the cost price and said that i am not paying a penny more than the printer MRP. I asked him why was he charging the extra 5 bucks. He says its cooling and transportation charge. But i say everything is included in the MRP and you cant charge me for that.He looks the other way and attends to another customer after having taken my cold drink back.

Now this is not a one off incident. There are many such places where people charge us more. And we do not bother. The way we think is "5 Rs ke liye kyon argue kare. Lets pay 5 more and go. Hamein kaha roz roz aana hai."

So what i do is till the time we are there at this hotel on the highway i stand near the counter and tell whoever comes to buy that he is charging more please don't buy from him. Some people do get my point and have the same argument with the guy at the counter. But then there are some who think in a manner i have mentioned and go ahead and pay the extra amount.

If we as one decide not to buy by paying anything above the MRP do you think the guy will have any option but to sell at MRP. It is just because some people do not bother. I mean its only 5 bucks but you have earned it. You dont get money growing on trees and you are already paying 25 bucks and not buying the thing for free. So then why pay extra.

This is not the case at just one place. You find this thing at numerous places and these people literally rob you of your hard earned money. But do we say anything?

I did my bit. Thats all i could do. I hope everyone does their bit too.

-Ali

My story is something similar to this ....

a couple of months ago i guess .. i was travelling in BMTC bus in bangalore from my place to yalahanka ( bus fare is just 5 /- ). I have given 10/- note to the conductor.. & he gave me a ticket and wrote 5/- on it ( it mean he doesn't have change ... so i have to collect my 5/- while getting down the bus) . i almost reached my destination i have asked him for my bucks .. he told me that he doesn't have change ( in a very irresponsible way ..i guess he had ... he might be thinking that i dont have any option except being get down silently as i reached my stop ) . So my stop came .. Just before stepping down i turned towords conductor & asked for one 5/- ticket .This time he didn't have any option .. he gave me that ..

I lost my 5/- to BMTC ( COUNTRY's GDP ) not to some

Charity begins at home.. Truly it does..

We have all heard our moms nagging it out to us every morning, noon and night... We can always do our bit to make things easier for her...

At least keep those cups of coffee in the basin after we are done with it.. Fold the bed spreads and the sheets every morning after we wake up.. Switch off the lights and fans when not in use... Going easy on the AC consumption.. Arranging our study desks (mind u.. the most challenging thing for us and the most annoying for our moms)... What about those rancid cupboards with our clothes haunting that area like cob webs??

All these would go in a long way from making our moms happy to making the environment around us clean and congenial... Well lets first start from our own domains and move on to the rest of the world...

I'm trying hard to do all this.. :hurray:

Cheers,
Nish...

PS: On a personal front.. I have started meditating... Of course for self rejuvenation and progression.. JBR JBR JBR :hurray::hurray::hurray: