Wharton Interview

Hi PGites. I have just received an interview call from Wharton. I need all the help I can get on how to prepare for the interview and what sort of questions are asked. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee people help me out. Any and every help is appreciated. PG b…

Hi PGites. I have just received an interview call from Wharton. I need all the help I can get on how to prepare for the interview and what sort of questions are asked. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee people help me out. Any and every help is appreciated. PG bhai I am especially counting on you

Congrats dude...All the best for the interview.
Can you share your profile?

kamakazie Says
Hi PGites. I have just received an interview call from Wharton. I need all the help I can get on how to prepare for the interview and what sort of questions are asked. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee people help me out. Any and every help is appreciated. PG bhai I am especially counting on you

Hi Mituag,

I am also one of the Wharton interviewees! My interview is in New Delhi Hub on 1st dec. Please share tips.

My profile:

Age 50 plus (yes!), WE 25 plus in government, incl 10 yrs in diplomatic assignmens abroad. GMAT 720 (Q-45, V-44). Accads v good but old! Completed prof diploma in HRD from AIMA delhi reently with GPA 3.92. Extracurrics and community acitivites good.

Am seeking transition from govt. to business to help client companies to do business in India. Need MBA for addl knowledge, value addition and credibility in corporate sector.

Looking forward to help from the forum!

Rakesh

Congrats dude...All the best for the interview.
Can you share your profile?
Hi Mituag,

I am also one of the Wharton interviewees! My interview is in New Delhi Hub on 1st dec. Please share tips.

My profile:

Age 50 plus (yes!), WE 25 plus in government, incl 10 yrs in diplomatic assignmens abroad. GMAT 720 (Q-45, V-44). Accads v good but old! Completed prof diploma in HRD from AIMA delhi reently with GPA 3.92. Extracurrics and community acitivites good.

Am seeking transition from govt. to business to help client companies to do business in India. Need MBA for addl knowledge, value addition and credibility in corporate sector.

Rakesh

WOW!

Really Gr8..

RPK
Hi Mituag,

My profile:

Rakesh

Hey Rakesh,

Congrats !!

Where else have you applied. Have a feeling you are going to make it to W, just make suure the panel gets to experience enough of 'you'.

ATB
Time

Hi Time

Good to see you on the forum again! I enjoy this interaction much more than any "closed" interaction, if you know what I mean :-;

I had applied to W as a "dream school" and wasn'r really expecting anything much, so the interview invite is a pleasant surprise.

BTW,a coupla other b-schools have shown willingness to take me but the ROI equation so far is in favour of IIMA.

Thanks for you kind words.

Rakesh

Hey Rakesh,

Congrats !!

Where else have you applied. Have a feeling you are going to make it to W, just make suure the panel gets to experience enough of 'you'.

ATB
Time

Mr Profile:

Engineer - 2 years as a software developer- 2 years as an Assistant Marketing Manager in a Manufacturing firm - GMAT 740, Great Acads, Good Extra - Curricular activities and community activities.

I also had another query. Can anyone tell me if an Alumni interview is better of a HUB interview by the people from Ad Com is better?

Looking forward to a few replies

Mr Profile:

Engineer - 2 years as a software developer- 2 years as an Assistant Marketing Manager in a Manufacturing firm - GMAT 740, Great Acads, Good Extra - Curricular activities and community activities.

I also had another query. Can anyone tell me if an Alumni interview is better of a HUB interview by the people from Ad Com is better?

Looking forward to a few replies

First of all Congrats. All the best for your interview!!

WooT ! Congrats there buddy! One of your best resources to prepare would be the adcom blog.

MBA Blog: The Wharton School

This is the site I used for preparing for the interviews. Wharton interviews are standard and don't have trick questions. So you need to ensure your story is solid and you bring forth your true personality during the interview so that you come off as genuine and confident!

Let me know if I can be of any specific help! :)

kamakazie Says

Congrats on the double whammy! While the interview questions would be similar for you, I do see that you will have to spend a bit more time in explaining WHY you want to do an MBA at this point in your career. Make sure you have a rock solid reason/reasoning behind your decision and WHY this is the time for you do an MBA at Wharton.

Congrats on the invite and do let me know if I can be of any help :)

Hi Mituag,

My profile:

Rakesh

Hi Pagalguy,

Thanks for your kind words. I know my candidacy is atypical. But I believe I have valid answers to "why MBA?" , "why now?" questions, which were also covered in the essays.

I saw on the Wharton blog that interviews are "blind". If so, can I draw upon my essays to answer the questions? For the interviewer it would be fresh info. Please advise on this.

The blog also says that interviews are not "make or break" and are mostly used to confirm application info. If so, how do they screen out almost 50% of people after interview? Does it mean that the chances of an admit are more or less decided even before the interview?

Thanks for your offer of help.:) Might keep on coming up with more queries.

cheers

rakesh

Congrats on the double whammy! While the interview questions would be similar for you, I do see that you will have to spend a bit more time in explaining WHY you want to do an MBA at this point in your career. Make sure you have a rock solid reason/reasoning behind your decision and WHY this is the time for you do an MBA at Wharton.

Congrats on the invite and do let me know if I can be of any help :)
WooT ! Congrats there buddy! One of your best resources to prepare would be the adcom blog.

MBA Blog: The Wharton School

This is the site I used for preparing for the interviews. Wharton interviews are standard and don't have trick questions. So you need to ensure your story is solid and you bring forth your true personality during the interview so that you come off as genuine and confident!

Let me know if I can be of any specific help! :)

Finally PG himself is here for advice

Thanks a lot man..... I am really looking forward to converting this call......

I had a number of questions in my mind which I wanted to ask you...... I have PMed you something ...... please check the same.......

Good set of questions there!

The interviews are blind, so you can definitely bring up the stuff on your essays. I think without them you would not be able to present a complete picture to the adcom. So draw into your essays and draw out a compelling story as to how you view your own candidature for the Wharton school and how you think it would help you achieve your goals.

The progression is rather important and the interviewer might look for what other alternative career options have you evaluated before deciding on an MBA and why the MBA option is the best one for your needs. Since they can't decide on your needs - you need to articulate it to them.

As for the 50% thing, its rather the opposite. Very few schools interview as many people as Wharton does. But yes, it is definitely looking for a consistency in what your application says and what you say during an interview. Confirmatory interviews are when the adcom has access to your essays and then interviews you to fill in the gaps in their information. Since Wharton does not do that - it provides you with a higher chance to impact your candidature at the interview level as well.

1/3rd of those interviewed will make it to the final selection - so best of luck and practice well :)

Hi Pagalguy,

Thanks for your kind words. I know my candidacy is atypical. But I believe I have valid answers to "why MBA?" , "why now?" questions, which were also covered in the essays.

I saw on the Wharton blog that interviews are "blind". If so, can I draw upon my essays to answer the questions? For the interviewer it would be fresh info. Please advise on this.

The blog also says that interviews are not "make or break" and are mostly used to confirm application info. If so, how do they screen out almost 50% of people after interview? Does it mean that the chances of an admit are more or less decided even before the interview?

Thanks for your offer of help.:) Might keep on coming up with more queries.

cheers

rakesh

Hi PG

Many thanks for your comments. "Since they can't decide on your needs - you need to articulate it to them".- How true!! An eye opener indeed. Thanks:)

Rakesh

Good set of questions there!

The interviews are blind, so you can definitely bring up the stuff on your essays. I think without them you would not be able to present a complete picture to the adcom. So draw into your essays and draw out a compelling story as to how you view your own candidature for the Wharton school and how you think it would help you achieve your goals.

The progression is rather important and the interviewer might look for what other alternative career options have you evaluated before deciding on an MBA and why the MBA option is the best one for your needs. Since they can't decide on your needs - you need to articulate it to them.

As for the 50% thing, its rather the opposite. Very few schools interview as many people as Wharton does. But yes, it is definitely looking for a consistency in what your application says and what you say during an interview. Confirmatory interviews are when the adcom has access to your essays and then interviews you to fill in the gaps in their information. Since Wharton does not do that - it provides you with a higher chance to impact your candidature at the interview level as well.

1/3rd of those interviewed will make it to the final selection - so best of luck and practice well :)

PG bhai, I have an interview too...yipppeeeeeee

Arre balle balle! A Wharton invite avalanche! Congratulations o kgkiddo! Let me know if I can be of any helpo!

kgkid Says

Hi Kgkid,

I have followed your posts on this forum with interest. Congrats on the Wharton interview invite and all the best!!

Rakesh

kgkid Says
pagalguy Says
Arre balle balle! A Wharton invite avalanche! Congratulations o kgkiddo! Let me know if I can be of any helpo!

bas bhai aapka haath aur maa ka ashirwaad rahega tau duniya fateh kar lange.
waise PM mara hai thodha nazar pher lena
Hi Kgkid,

I have followed your posts on this forum with interest. Congrats on the Wharton interview invite and all the best!!

Rakesh

Thank you Sir! I dunno whether you liked them but we can have more debates face 2 face in Philly