Wharton and Kellog Visit To Bangalore

Hey people, Its really been a while since Ive posted on the forum. But Im back and here to stay. I just wanted to inform all of you that Wharton and Kellog are coming down to India. The wharton event is a high-tea (if Im not mistaken). We get…

Hey people,

Its really been a while since Ive posted on the forum. But Im back and here to stay. I just wanted to inform all of you that Wharton and Kellog are coming down to India. The wharton event is a high-tea (if Im not mistaken). We get to interact with the current students. Not to sure about what the Kellog event is about. The event is full however for those of you tryin in Bangalore. If anyone hears of any other school visiting India do make a post on this thread.

Cheers!

Regards,
Roshan

atouchofcrypticthunder Says
high-tea (if Im not mistaken).

No Roshan, they just call it Coffee Chat

The event is full however for those of you tryin in Bangalore.

Hey Roshan,
would you please elaborate.

TYIA.

Chk out these links for their adm events:

http://www1.kellogg.northwestern.edu/receptions/main.asp
https://admissions.wharton.upenn.edu/Admissions/Events/index.cfm?forum=632

The event is full however for those of you tryin in Bangalore.

Hey Roshan,
would you please elaborate.

TYIA.

I think he means that registration for these events is over. The Kellogg website says as much. But I was able to successfully register for the Wharton Event @ B'lore on 4th Jan.

HTH,
Uday

Hey people,

Okay clarifications clarification .. 😃 .. Uday is right. I did mean that you cannot register for the Kellog event coz its full. However the Wharton event is open, like Uday has said. Ive registered myself for it to. Hey Uday maybe we can meet up at the event.

Take Care people.

Yup simba Coffee Chat it is.! Hope the coffee is good .. 😃

Hey people,

Okay clarifications clarification .. 😃 .. Uday is right. I did mean that you cannot register for the Kellog event coz its full. However the Wharton event is open, like Uday has said. Ive registered myself for it to. Hey Uday maybe we can meet up at the event.

Take Care people.

Yup simba Coffee Chat it is.! Hope the coffee is good .. :)

Sorry yaar! Wont be able to make it... Once again this is on a weekday. I am in Hyd. I was hoping to come to b'lore for it, had it been on a weekend...

I was justing testing the link to see if there r more vacancies, when it suddenly popped up a msg saying, "an invite is on ur way"

Anyways, hope these guys conduct some session soon, over the weekend. Will meet ya then 😁

bye,
Uday

No problemo Uday. Ill fill you guys in on all the happenings. Ive got a better idea actually. Since Im plannin on attending it, for all you unfortunate guys who cant make it, just gimme your list of question which you want me to ask . I guess it will be a one-on-one interaction with current students. So send me your question to my email address which is in my profile. Ill compile all the question and get you all the answers and thats the best I can really do.

Cheers !
Take Care!

Regards,

Roshan

HEY!!

Hey people,

I attended the Wharton Coffee Chat held in Bangalore last night. We were addressed by a first year student who took us through a slide show, followed by a question session.

As I am pressed for time, I'll quickly take you thru some of the questions that were asked and important notes that would help out all fellow aspirants.

- Approx cost for a two yr MBA programme at wharton with housing etc will roughly amount to 150,000 USD .

- CITIBANK gives students the whole loan. If interantional students have a co-signer in the states they get to pay interests between 1-4% of the premium, which is considerably lower than the normal interest rate.

- A lot of companies recruiting at Wharton generally clear the loans incurred by students. So there's a lot of hope for us.

- Last year alone there were 580 companies who came for recruitment.

- A student may have an 800 on the GMAT but that doesnt mean he'd/she'd get in. The admission process is rigorous and one is advised to really spend time for the whole application process. Average GMAT score for the current first years is 718 and most students have a work ex ranging from 3-5 yrs.

These are some of the pointers that were discussed. Id be glad to answer your questions regarding WHARTON as I myself have extensively re searched this school.

Mail me at [email protected] (its in my profile)

Take Care!

Regards,

Roshan

U say that the Citi Bank Offers the entire money as Loan but that signifies a very huge amount.

And what about the repayment The timing that sort...etc... Its just sky high to repay unless the company clears it. : : :

Is there any scholarship of any sort....

And do post all the queries and the related information in this thread itself so that everyone gets the idea rather than mailing the questions.

Do give all those pointers whatever u remember... :!: :!:

Regards,

Neo

DamnNeo Says
And what about the repayment The timing that sort...etc... Its just sky high to repay unless the company clears it. : : :

I remember reading this a coupla yrs back, so not sure how the thing works now: You get 7 -25 yrs for repayment of education loans.

Edited to add:
Check out Salliemae or MBA Loans (offered by GMAC).

I am certainly preparing for getting into Wharton :shock: and i know i have a long way to go but still u always have to prepare and know the things u gonna face ... so better know it then there....

Hobbes the link u have given was very informative....

Neo

Hey Neo,

Seems we share the same aspiration,getting into WHARTON. I consider it an investment for life. I dont know about you though.

Anyways as far as Scholarships are considered , they are practically non - existant. So dont even think about getting a scholarship and thats what we were advised at the coffee session. Half the scholarships at Wharton are given to the under grads I guess.

Repaying loans is a major concern. If your recruiter clears the loan for you great! But if not, you shouldnt really worry. You'll be earning a huge salary. It will probably take you around 2 years to clear that loan, this is however my speculation.

I would find it easier if you guys mail me your questions. Id be glad to answer them, after which I could probably post up my replies on this thread in a question answer format. So please do mail me. It would be easier for me.b Thanx a lot.

Take Care :)

Regards,

Roshan

Kelloggs here i come
But before that, i hope kelloggs comes here

Kelloggs here i come
But before that, i hope kelloggs comes here

do NOT bump up old threads unless you got something to add !!!

As a veteran of one year at Wharton I'd like to add something to this thread. Regarding this - A lot of companies recruiting at Wharton generally clear the loans incurred by students. So there's a lot of hope for us.
It does not exactly work that way. Yes. many companies do give a signing Bonus to a candidate who earns a full time job offer with that firm.
- Some companies like those in Management Consulting , Banking etc offer to pay off one year of your tuition fees "if you have interned with them" . Not all do. Very few actually pay off the complete tuition fees.

- Some pay a signing Bonus which may be the equivalent of just half a year's fee or there abouts. The signing bonus is not necessarily given based on any benchmark. It is the price an employer pays to attract quality talent and keep them out of his competitors hat ! 😃 . (The opportunity cost of losing a good candidate to his competitor may be quite high.) So it really depends on the employer and how much they need the candidate.
A 10K signing bonus does not pay off your loan. It's good money though. Sometimes a small signing bonus may go with a very competitive salary in the industry. It is unpredictable as teh norm is different in every industry/sector and across functionality.

Now , with the infamous Financial debacle of wall street, there have been repurcussions in many sectors. So signing bonuses are not what they were, even last year.
I hope this does not come as a damper but I do think one cannot presume that the loan will be "paid off by your employer". Not in a sickly economy such as this!

The other issue I want to address is about repaying your loan. Ideally the student has 6 months in which to start paying off the loan in installments (calculated based on how much you can afford to pay off). It can be as less as $50 a month or as much as you want to pay upfront (to reduce the interest you would end up paying over a long term). The average that folks prefer to pay is $600-1000 per month. The grace period can be stretched to as much as 1 year if I am right (somebody confirm please, I dont exactly remember what my lender told me :-)
After that C---bank will consider you family as you'll get friendly calls from your lender wanting to know when you will start paying off. But I hear if a student is in dire straits (which I am yet to hear of) they are "willing to work with the candidate" in re-structuring the loan re-payment schedule.

Now coming to the ROI, assuming you are looking for better paying jobs and typical post MBA careers , you will surely see your ROI. A few months in that environment will teach you that the loan is a small part in the larger scheme of things. And is managebale. However, if you want to dabble in a place like cameroon with the peace corps, it is obviously not going to "pay off" 😃 ( I know folks who have come from there and think the experience is worth it! Thats Wharton for you! :)

Most everybody gets a job. They may all not be $100K+ jobs, but you will get one whether you like it or not! The two years will teach you how to find one! ;)

Hope this helps

Btw, We are having a PG meet thsi evening at 6.00 p.m. near MG Road Bangalore (Mc Donald's), you can look at the other thread where the announcement is made.

If you have any questions , you can join us!.

P

@panchamukhi

Your post is informative but can you also post it in the sticky thread on Fin aid for b-schools.

This is about Scholarships. There is no concept of scholarship in most MBA programs. Rather there are fellowships , grants or tuition waivers (rare)
There are plenty of fellowships available but the asian indian students qualify for only a small percent of them (If there are applicants from other countries on thsi forum, I apologise for not being able to offer more relevant information.) . A lot of them are focused on Hispanic Minorities, African Americans, native indians, international students with an entrepreneurial background, a couple for women from developing countries , etc. Most for academic achievements. The criteria make it hard for the average candidate to be eligible. However, I know atleast 8 indians who won such fellowships from one or the other sponsor. the winning amount will be adjusted against your tuition , so you "do not get to lay your hands on the cash" and blow it up on that trip to Vegas you planned for thanksgiving! (in case you were thinking of it 😃