WFU Babcock VS McGiLL Desautles VS UofMiami

Hello Everyone, I request all of you to help me choose between these three MBA programs by providing your inputs. I have around three years of experience in telecom domain and I would be changing my career path, and wish to develop expertise …

Hello Everyone,

I request all of you to help me choose between these three MBA programs by providing your inputs. I have around three years of experience in telecom domain and I would be changing my career path, and wish to develop expertise in Finance/ Consulting during MBA.

I have scholarships from all these colleges; McGill and WFU: Babcock would cost me exactly same, however cost of Uof Miami MBA would be half as compared to these two.

As far as McGill is concerned, It is in Montreal and I am ready to learn French.

Also PFA a comparison chart of these three programs. I do not have much time to make this decision, hence please help me out. Your comments are welcome. 😃

hey!
going by the statistics babock seems to be the best bet in terms of placements and ranking.. However, it also depends on what you plan to do further.. If you want to settle down there itself, McGill is your best bet! immigration to canada is way easier than it is to the US and the MBA program at desautels is very decent.. and yes you need to know a bit of french though but that should not pose any problem. However, I will still be a lil skeptical as you can notice that it has come down in the rankings table.. from 39 in 2005 to 95 in 2010.. But then the % of students placed are more in comparison to the other two.

Thanks Mate for the much valuable suggestions!!

Definitely Canada has advantages of liberal immigration laws while economic situation is grim in US...... A little bit about the method different rankings use.. McGill is aTier II while Babcock and Miami are Tier III B-schools

The Financial Times surveys 150 MBA schools, of which 11 are Canadian, with six schools making the 100 ranking. The survey of alumni is done three years after graduation and looks at salary growth and career progress. The Financial Times has a broad scope of measurement and a complex system of weighting data.

Business Week focuses its rankings survey on two groups: students and corporate recruiters. These results account for 90 per cent of the basis for the rankings with an additional 10 per cent based on what they term "intellectual capital" primarily faculty publication in 20 academic journals and other books and articles.

The Economist's rankings are based on data culled from a survey of a pre-selected 135 schools and their students, measuring career opportunities, personal development, educational experience, increase in salary, and potential to network.

Friends... Please post a line or two.... Your advice would surely help..

Friends in hurry !! At least have a look at comparison chart and suggest one out of these three. Even that would be of great help . Thanking you all in advance.

Hi Bhanup

Firstly congrats on your admit (do share your profile, I am also from Telecomm - Huawei & NSN)

Out of UofMiami, McGill & WFU. I would take WFU

1) Please dont compare II tier Canadian schools with III tier US schools, actually these tiers are in local region only (compare a II tier candian college with a I tier or III tier or whatever, but with canadian colleges only, a II tier Indian schools is not comparable with a II tier US school)

2) McGill is a renowned university, but their MBA program is not as strong as WFU's (Their Undergrad + law is good). Canada's market & immigration law might tend to be indicative that it will be easy to work and make green, but i am skeptical about it. US market is more "open" and has the tendency to absorb more diverse set of candidates.

3) dunno about U of Miami, but I will suggest you one thing, dont make your MBA a tough job for yourself, (if you feel that you may learn french pretty easily why not learn french this year and try for HEC next year?)

4) WFU's Fin & Ops are awesome, I had a long talk with Kevin (their associate director - admissions) I also had a telephonic chat with Jonathan (McGill - associate director), and I guess WFU >>>> McGill. (Also indicated by FT, US rankings + latest placement statistics (%age placed & weighted salary + companies visiting) --- only indicative btw)

So my take will be WFU

Hope it helps
Ayon

Hi Ayon,

Thank you. My profile is GMAT 700, TOEFL 104, 3 Years work ex, decent acads, strong extra. Curr.

@1) I quoted BusinessWeeks Tier ranking system, and Wake Forest is Tier- III US B-school, while McGill is Tier II NON-US B-school. In Canada, you would always find McGill right there in Top 3.

@2) I also agree as I found that McGill as a university has great reputation as it is ranked among top 20 in world. There program has been recently changed and is not as fine-tuned as Wake Forests especially finance.

@3) Even I am finding it difficult to ascertain the repute and brand of U of Miami. I see learning French as an opportunity here, not as an overhead because it would add to my profile.

Your inputs really helped.
I also found that McGill is really good for finance ( feedback of alumni )

Hey,

As per BW, McGill is Tier II non US, and WFU is Tier III US. Still in my opinion WFU >> McGill in most aspects.

Kindly observe that Schulich is also in Tier II non US. In Canada Ivey, Rotmann and Queens are top notch, (sort of canadian ivy) then follow Schilich, McGill, Sauder etc.
You might be tempted towards McGill because of relatively low Tution fees, easier immigration norms, city of Montreal, is a good & safe place to work and settle down, should this be your plan. Montreal has always featured in world's top 20 "best" & "safe" cities list.

The problem that I see with McGill (or rather any other B school, be it Lancaster, Schulich, Melbourne etc) is that

1) if you are so sure and confident about your college's repo, why not actively publish your Placement stastics on yearly basis ?
Other websites such as BW, Pricetonreview etc show worrying statistics when it comes to placement @ McGill.

2) Class size is really small, although it might allow you to personalize your MBA, but it will limit the number of companies comming to campus, also it might provide "limited" networking oppertunities.

Regarding placements, one may hold a counter view that "if you are good, hardworking and network well, jobs should be a problem for you" I however believe that even if you are, you must join a college that improves your chances. Post recession, many colleges have used it as an excuse for their employement statistics, whereas few good ones (such as Fisher, Michigan State) used it as an acid test, and proved that they can still get their guys placed (or their guys are hardworking, networking etc to get a job).

However, Humans lie ........statistics don't. So, I will in all likelyhood head towards WFU 😃