"We take a lot of technical skills for granted in engineers" - NITIE's Associate Dean

“We take a lot of technical skills for granted in engineers” - NITIE’s Associate Dean In the first of a two-part interview series, the first ever of its kind, NITIE Mumbai’s Associate Dean (Placements) Prof Ashok K Pundir talks to Pagalguy.co

"We take a lot of technical skills for granted in engineers" - NITIE's Associate Dean

In the first of a two-part interview series, the first ever of its kind, NITIE Mumbai's Associate Dean (Placements) Prof Ashok K Pundir talks to Pagalguy.com about the institute's vision, placements, admissions and everything else you ever wanted to know about NITIE.

Click here to read the complete interview.

yup guys and girls, it does give a lot of important details abt NITIE.. and for a change its not from the students..but the Placement Incharge himself. A must read..

Clearly if they name NITIE as IIM Mumbai, it would be the number one business school in three years... So much for 'What's in a name?'

Good Article... The placement dude seems to be a thoughtful and reasonable person. I still think you guys gotta get some training in how to name your articles...

K

Clearly if they name NITIE as IIM Mumbai, it would be the number one business school in three years... So much for 'What's in a name?'

Good Article... The placement dude seems to be a thoughtful and reasonable person. I still think you guys gotta get some training in how to name your articles...

K

Yes!!! our placement officer is very sensible person. He never compromises and lets us compromise for anything less than the best.
Naming NITIE as IIM Mumbai? Well ...no comments on that.

An insightful interview (the word's a favorite of b-schoolers. Gotta be faithful to my fellow b-schoolers, you see :D). But seriously, the interview series is great. Have really enjoyed reading them. Good work!

Would like to add to the "Why 100% placement?" question though. From my own experience, the companies coming to campuses invest a lot of time, effort and money to come down here. To go to a campus and not recruit would be a big waste. To be frank, the fact that you've gained admission to any of the top insti's is good enough for most of these companies. You DO show a certain level of intelligence and competence there.

But as for the interview processes of the companies, they range from grilling and very thorough to cursory conversations with the students. Companies look for people who would fit in, and amongst the things a b-school teaches you, adaptability rates pretty high! Also, having survived the two years is good qualification as far as they are concerned. Especially towards the end, when they see the no. of candidates dwindling, they are eager enough to snatch up anyone who seems even vaguely interested in the company. We've seen companies which come for Fin pick up IT ppl, Ops pick up HR and so on. And whatever anyone might say, the Brand does matter to the companies at least!

An insightful interview (the word's a favorite of b-schoolers. Gotta be faithful to my fellow b-schoolers, you see :D). But seriously, the interview series is great. Have really enjoyed reading them. Good work!

Would like to add to the "Why 100% placement?" question though. From my own experience, the companies coming to campuses invest a lot of time, effort and money to come down here. To go to a campus and not recruit would be a big waste. To be frank, the fact that you've gained admission to any of the top insti's is good enough for most of these companies. You DO show a certain level of intelligence and competence there.

But as for the interview processes of the companies, they range from grilling and very thorough to cursory conversations with the students. Companies look for people who would fit in, and amongst the things a b-school teaches you, adaptability rates pretty high! Also, having survived the two years is good qualification as far as they are concerned. Especially towards the end, when they see the no. of candidates dwindling, they are eager enough to snatch up anyone who seems even vaguely interested in the company. We've seen companies which come for Fin pick up IT ppl, Ops pick up HR and so on. And whatever anyone might say, the Brand does matter to the companies at least!

hmmm..interesting but then is tat good from both the institute n corporates pt of view..now tats the question to be addressed..frankly i don think so..from the institutes pt of view...there r ppl who mite be genuinely interested in finance or any other profile....but knowingly or unknowlingly sit in the interview process of a company which is offering a different profile..n sumtimes hes compelled to take up the offer to please the company as they ve been regular to the campus every year..n its aint good frm the companys pt of view either as they are losin out on candidates who r genuinely interested in the profile they r offerin....

the above discussion is based on a hypothesis and any coincidence to any person muggin or sleepin in Nitie is purely coincidental
cat_a_moron Says
hmmm..interesting but then is tat good from both the institute n corporates pt of view..now tats the question to be addressed..frankly i don think so..from the institutes pt of view...there r ppl who mite be genuinely interested in finance or any other profile....but knowingly or unknowlingly sit in the interview process of a company which is offering a different profile..n sumtimes hes compelled to take up the offer to please the company as they ve been regular to the campus every year..n its aint good frm the companys pt of view either as they are losin out on candidates who r genuinely interested in the profile they r offerin....

Oh well, it doesn't quite work that way. For one thing, the candidates always know what roles they are applying for when they attend an interview. And they are always free to ask the interviewers specifically about the roles offered (in as much detail as they want). And believe me, since it's a decision that will affect their careers, no one accepts a role just coz the company is a regular on campus.

For another, the companies are always duly informed about the candidate's majors and interests. Then it's entirely their call. They decide whether they want to take on someone in a different area than they had in mind, or whether they want to go back empty handed.

I think it's a very fair process since both the candidate and the company know exactly where they stand and make their decisions accordingly. Sometimes a company might make place for someone and sometimes a student might decide to take on a role he/she wasn't keen on. But that's a personal decision based on their perception of the trade-offs involved.

Of course, my opinions are based completely upon what I saw happening here on my campus, and things might work differently elsewhere. Here, since there are more offers than candidates, the students have a slight edge and can pick and choose companies according to their preferences.