Vocab Based Questions(For all Exams)- "Building a Better Vocabulary"

Can someone tell me how to build a strong vocabulary to crack CAT or other management exams ?Is there any High frequency word list for CAT?

Can someone tell me how to build a strong vocabulary to crack CAT or other management exams ?

Is there any High frequency word list for CAT?

It was with considerable ____ that my mother revealed the results of her ____ studies to my grandfather as she had learned that my great- grandfather had been notorious criminal, a fact that grandfather had been at pains to hide.

anarchy has lot of synonymous, majority of them are very important. Like - lawlessness, mayhem, bed lam, commotion, rampage, ruckus, hulls ballu , topsy turvy, hubub , pandemonium..

FOREIGN WORDS AND PHRASES USED COMMONLY IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE:::

ad nauseam(ad noz'ee-um) [Lat.]: to a sickening degree. “The politician uttered one platitude after another ad nauseam.

bête noire(bet nwahr') [Fr.]: something or someone particularly disliked. “Talk of the good old college days way back when had become his bête noire, and he began to avoid his school friends.

”bona fide(boh'na fide) [Lat.]: in good faith; genuine. “For all her reticence and modesty, it was clear that she was a bona fide expert in her field.

aveat emptor(kav'ee-ot emp'tor) [Lat.]: let the buyer beware. “Before you leap at that real estate deal, caveat emptor!

coup de gr ce(koo de grahss') [Fr.]: finishing blow. “After an already wildly successful day, the coup de gr ce came when she won best all-around athlete.

faux pas(foh pah') [Fr.]: a social blunder. “Suddenly, she realized she had unwittingly committed yet another faux pas.

in situ(in sit'too) [Lat.]: situated in the original or natural position. “I prefer seeing statues in situ rather than in the confines of a museum.

prima facie(pry'ma fay'she) [Lat.]: at first sight, clear and evident. “Although her husband implored, 'I can explain!' the sight of another woman wrapped in his arms was prima facie evidence that he was a deceitful lout.

vox populi(voks pop'yoo-lie) [Lat.]: the voice of the people. “My sentiments echo those of the vox populi.

Weltanschauung(velt'an-shou'ung) [Ger.]: a world view or philosophy of life. “His Weltanschauung gradually metamorphized from a grim and pessimistic one to a sunny, but no less complex, view.

Hi Can anyone guide me on where to find:

1 Word - Its meaning in different sentences in different contexts

Rube : 

This word implies a lack of sophistication, manners, education, and culture. Rubes are usually from rural areas, and they're also known as bumpkins, hayseeds, hicks, yahoos, yokels, and hillbillies. 

:D 

sine qua non 

pro bono

*Words for the day *

1. Enervate - to exhaust 

2. Castigate - to scold 

Its synonymous are - rebuke, censure, reprimand, rail at , rant at, lash out at

3. Self abnegate- self denial

4. Recapitulate- revision of main headings

5. Vegetate- stagnate

6. Simulate - to pretend 

7. Commiserate- to sympthaize 

8. Vacillate - swing in decision like an ambivalent.

Word of the day: 

Loaf 

Second meaning: lazy, idle

Word Meaning: prima facie

• Paramount
  • First Sight
  • Speculative
  • Faceless
  • Apprehension

0 voters

Word Meaning : Bovine

• Placid
  • Glib
  • Clamorous
  • ingenious

0 voters

Differentiate between- 1) Sceptic and Cynic 2) Irony and Paradox 3) Laconic and Succinct 4) Eloquent and Cogent

CAT 2014: Important dates

MBA aspirants will have to take the Common Admission Test (CAT) for the session 2014 on either of the two days - November 16 and November 22.

The Indian Institute of Management (IIM) - Indore will conduct the exam this year. The registration process will start August 06 onwards.

Important Dates
Date of commencement of online registration:  August 6, 2014 (Wednesday)
Last date of registration: September 30, 2014 (Tuesday)
Download of Admit Card: October 16, 2014 (Thursday)
CAT exam dates (forenoon and afternoon sessions): November 16, 2014 (Sunday) and November 22, 2014 (Saturday)
Tentative dates for Results: Third week of December 2014

for know about various b school notification and examination for 2015-17,2015-16 please follow here

http://www.pagalguy.com/cat/b-school-exam-notification-for-the-batch-of-2015-17-2015-16-28634562

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengence; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V

Source: V for Vendetta, The movie. 

How many words' meanings you know ?? I'm quite sure, he took his vengeance on Vocab. 😁

Words 8th August

1. lithe: supple

2. rancorous : deeply malignant

3. peregrination : a small trip

4. waft : to float easily

5. covetous : eagerly desirous

6. philistine : ignorant person

7. discomfit : to defeat

8. plaintive : melancholy

9. pariah : an outcast

Confusing words :

1. blench : to go pale with fear vs blanch : part of the body that goes pale

2. callous : cruelly insensitive vs  callus : area of hard skin on hands and feet

4. canvas: cloth for tent vs canvass : is to solicit support from voters (politicians do that and hence ass )

5. condole : express sympathy  vs console express sympathy  and comfort them

Andrea Bocelli is a __________ on the modern musical landscape; his impact on the music industry is truly __________ .

1. contingency, altruistic

2. pretension, amatory

3. compunction, doleful

4. phenomenon, seismic

1. The __________, those cellular bodies which contain the __________ particles, the genes, provide us with basic facts of genetic transmission.

(a) protoplasm, microscopic

(b) globules, fat

(c) cytoplasm, minute

(d) chromosomes, hereditary

3. I should not have __________ to talk in such a __________ strain especially when I had not studied the man to whom I was talking.

(a) daring, commanding

(b) try, bold

(c) ventured, peremptory

(d) emboldened, reckless

Censure means ?