Visa Experience - 08

Hi Puys US visa season has kicked off.Would appreciate if people who have gone through visa interview to post thier experience. Manish

Hi Puys
US visa season has kicked off.Would appreciate if people who have gone through visa interview to post thier experience.
Manish

Hi Puys
Us visa season has kicked off.Would appreciate if people who have gone through visa interview to post thier experience.
Manish

I had my interview in dec2005 in Chennai for H1B. Was quite cool.

The interview scheduled for 11Am in morning. Reached consulate 9:30. Stood in queue for around 15 min. Got through with papers examination in another 45 min. Asked to proceed to another building after paper scanning for interview.

Another 30 min wait to get finger prints done. Then pointed towards the visa officer's queue.
15 min in queue again.

Me: Good morning Sir.
interviewer : morning , So heading towards states.
me : Yes sir,
interviewer :Going to work for whom in US.
me:****
Interviewer : what **** do ?
me : explained.
interviewer : how ur company is helping *****
me : explaned ( we provide services )
interviewer:Who is bearing the expenses.
me : my company , sir.
interviewer : whats ur qualifications.
me: told ,
interviewer: show me the marksheets.
me: provided him photocopies,
interviewer: i want originals.
me : sorry sir , here it is.
Interviewer : welcome to US. , u can go and submit the fee at last desk.
me : Thank you, Sir.

Gave the draft to the fee counter , and thats it. Was quite cool and easy.

what Visa dates have u guyz taken? mine is 8th May

Suvrat Says
what Visa dates have u guyz taken? mine is 8th May

Do we need to pay any visa issuance fee after our interview ???
vamsi_suv Says
Do we need to pay any visa issuance fee after our interview ???

As far as I know we have to pay everything in advance at a designated branch of HDFC

Hi,

Apart from the VFS fee which you pay at HDFC, one has to also pay an additional $100 towards SEVIS- I-901. My interview is on 7th May and I happened to come across this by chance...
Check the following link for more information
ICE Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS): SEVIS I-901 Fee Payment

Regards,
Vimal

manish ATB

For ppl who applied for FY 2008, are the H1B lottery results for premium processing still coming in?

Thanks
...Hanoz

Hi,

Can somebody please explain if we need to have a "bank statement" to show available funds at the time of F1 visa interview OR a "bank letter" will suffice.

bank statement - letter showing all cr/dr to the account for a given period
bank letter - just stating the current balance in the account

if it is bank statement then how many months should this stement cover?

cheers!

arent there many people going for studies at US please post ur VISA interviews for study purpose

Hey all,

US Visa Interview - There are lots of sites which give detailed info on do's and dont's of things to be done for an US visa interview.
Make sure you have all the documents.
I have listed 2 websites below, you will find more if you do a google search on
F1 visa frequently asked questions or documents needed etc.

UnitedStatesVisas.gov Homepage
Immigration.com-F Visa Query Answered here

Main Steps - You need to pay 5000 odd rupees at HDFC and using that receipt number you have to select a visa centre based on ur location and book an interview date.

Along with all the documents u need to take a DD for a prescribed amount according to ur visa.Please double check the amount for DD coz when i went for my interview couple of months back they had just changed the amount from 2300 to 2400 and I had the DD for 2300 with me and had to go around Chennai in an auto with a deadline of 1hr ( The consulate guys asked me to come back in an hr with 100 rs DD - like it happens in t reality shows on tv :-)

It was a nightmare !!!

I have been to consulates at Mumbai and chennai couple of times for different types of visas !!
Basically its a long wait , no mobile phones,wallets,purses,bags allowed
Just the documents and u
so make arrangements for the deposit of mobile phone/bags

Security checks,2-3 level of document checks all by indians - who think they r t bosses of the world !!
Finally u meet t american person who is going to seal ur future in a few minutes time.

Be polite, answer to the question and dont argue with them if at all the visa is cancelled !!

Based on the visa type t qns might be diff

F1 - which uty, y did u select that , who is paying for ur education , will u work there etc etc

work - which co , what kind of work , y only u , y r u unique etc etc etc

Dependant - basically tell them u wont work or study in US

Hope this helps in answering most of ur queries..................
Do ask if you have any specific qns

Also the H1 lottery for this year - The results are still getting out. Probably all of them would be out by May 3rd week or so.

- Sushma

Hi,

Can somebody please explain if we need to have a "bank statement" to show available funds at the time of F1 visa interview OR a "bank letter" will suffice.

bank statement - letter showing all cr/dr to the account for a given period
bank letter - just stating the current balance in the account

if it is bank statement then how many months should this stement cover?

cheers!

Bank statement of 3-4 months is a better option because that way they can be assured you had the money for sometime with you.
If thats not possible bank letter is enough !!

- Sushma

I had my F1 interview on 7th May. the following is the transcript of the interview:

VO: Good morning.
nairv: Good morning sir.
VO: Degree and Marksheets please.

Handed them over. He went thru them. He then pulled out my I20.

VO: Wisconsin (smiling). are u in wisconsin now?
nairv: No sir, I am working in Bangalore with a startup called XXXX.
Vo: What does it do?
nairv: We are into business analytics and Market research.
VO: How long have u been here?
nairv: 6 months prior to which i was in Wipro for 15months.
VO: (laughing) u left Wipro?
nairv: (smiling)I got an interesting profile and it was in line with my career goals.
VO:How ru gonna pay for ur studies?
nairv: My dad is sponsoring me.
VO: what does he do?
nairv: He's General Manager at ZZZ. He handles the indian operations.
VO: Oh!! ZZZ.... fine.
VO: Thank you sir, u have ur visa and u will receive ur passport thru courier in 5 days.
nairv: Thank you sir, Have a great day.

I had my F1 interview on 8th May. the following is the transcript of the interview:
Me: GM Sir
VO: GM, how r u doin?
Me: doin gr 8!
VO: (after lookin at I-20): So u go into BU, which course
Me: Got into MS-MBA, it's a dual degree course blah blah
VO: How much schol u've got?
Me: Got $X schol
VO: Plz show me ur schol letter
Me: here it is
VO: wow! congratulation!
Me: Thx (Thought that it's sealed now)
VO: so y did they give u so much schol?
Me: good gmat, good interview, social work etc
VO: good, show me the sevis fee
Me: Here it is
VO: ur visa is approved
Me: thx a lot! have a nice day

It took barely 2 mins and he did not see any doc except the I20 and schol letter 😃

Thanks guys!

I'm probably taking a VISA interview date in early June, so this is very comforting information to have.

PS: Could you'll also post which consulate you'll went to- so we can spot a trend (if any!)

Thanks guys!

I'm probably taking a VISA interview date in early June, so this is very comforting information to have.

PS: Could you'll also post which consulate you'll went to- so we can spot a trend (if any!)

I went to Delhi Consulate, which I guess has the most streamlined ops. Here Visa interview is on First Come, First Serve basis rather than random token allotment of Mumbai and Chennai

PS: I guess for ppl with schol it shud be a cakewalk

the vfs website says one should carry three years bank statement and IT returns of self and sponsor!! do people actually carry all these. if one has funds in bank and loan rather than scolarship is it a problem getting student visa? the 3 year bank statement is quite a pain...my bank charges 175rs for each quarter statement!! r there documents compulsary or only suggested? apsrt from HDFV fee and Sevics fee which is paid onlien..is there any other fee for student visa? and correct photo size etc u get at consulate or vfs delhi?? i heard getting a studetn visa for the US is now easier than say canada etc...and the wait times at US consulates for student visas r only 3-4 days!!

another question...when visa officer asks whether one wants to work in the US after studies...is it ok to say that one dosnt mind working on the OPT visa for a year...i mean if legally one is allowed to work in the US....is that ok to say...cause that is the case for most I guess...

lastly if one has a B1/B2 visa(10yr) already and has travelled to the US on earlier occasion...does that help i getting a student visa....am told if u already have a US visa before then getting a student visa is almost assured?? they rarely student reject visas in such cases?? and does the B1/B2 get cancelled once student visa is issued?