VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur Queries...

Hi pple: Now that the JMET results are out,I believe a lot of you pple will have queries regarding VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur.Please post your queries here…I shall try to answer them all… Serendipity 1st year student, VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur

Hi pple:

Now that the JMET results are out,I believe a lot of you pple will have queries regarding VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur.Please post your queries here...I shall try to answer them all...

Serendipity
1st year student,
VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur

thanx. i have got a rank of 924, and i am a fresher, what do u think of me getting a call from VGSOM.

hi all,

gota rank of 1020 + workex 19 months.

can u enlighten me on my chances???

TIA

hi serendipity
thanks for taking the initiative.
i've got rank 1044
zero work ex.
b.e. mechanical engg., final year
how r my chances

Got rank 576.Could ya share the GD/PI you or others had at VGSOM.Thanks a lot

hi,

i have a rank of 713.what are my chances of getting a call from VGSOM?

I have a rank of 1424 and a work ex of 18 months and good acads. What do u say are my chances and where all wuld u suggest I can apply ?

hi
!!
i got 886 jmet rank
i am a 2004 ece pass out ...no exp.. dergee 72%
where all do i apply??

Hi Frnds
Though I m nt frm VGSOM but last yr i had the exp of going thru their admission process i.e GD and PI and I managed to get a final call from there. I will narate my exp hope that will clear some of your doubts.

My Jmet rank was 624.
I know people who had rank touch below 1000 gettin intrvw calls.

GD Exp: There are multiple panels which take GDs of multiple groups
at the same time. these panels are constituted not only by the faculties of VGSOM but also by other seniors IIT Profs from different depts like CSC, Mechanical, Sociology to name a few. GD has two parts. In the first part they will give you a case study and let you discuss on tht. In the second part they will give you a general topic to discuss on. The Case Study is purely business nature like Acquisition strategies and all. In the PI they ask you from Acads if u r a fresher. I had two yrs wrk exp so most my qs were wrk related.

For the intrvw u hav to come down to IITKGP campus.

All the best
Prithvi
XLRI -2006
Business Management

HI people,

Pls help me.

I am a B.Tech from REC warangal in EEE and worked for 1 year from june2003 to june 2004. There after resigned to prep for CAT, a catastrophe.

I wanna do MBA in operations. How good is KGP for ops?
is it Del or KGP that is best for ops?

I got an AIR of 351 in JMET. HOw will be the PI? Do they ask why i took break?

Then what shud i say?

Thanx

Hey all ,

Looking at the various threads I am confident of getting a call at IIT KGP atleast but plz anyone who is anyone ...let me know of what the placemenst are like at IIT KGP.

Is it at par with the other non IIM B schools in India ...

What was the highest Salary lat year and what was the median salary like

Is it prudent to give up an IIT KGP call , quit a great job and prepare for next year ...PGites kuch bolo....

Confused !!

This is SATISH From hyderabad, I hav Got a rank of 2661,(GEN category)
with an experience of 6 months as a Sales Officer At Videocon International Limited could anyone suggest me what institute i can apply for and do i stand any chance of getting calls from any of the IIT's 😞

hey what is the last rank called in for interview in th last few years
including waitlist candidates?

Last year I had a AIR:555 (thats another story that this yr I have 542 ) and I applied to IIT-K,IIT-D,IIT-B,IIT-KGP! Needless to say I received calls from all other IITs other than IIT-B. Since my interviews were just days apart and you have to go to respective IITs for the interview (which has its pros/cons) so I was on a ALL-INDIA tour literally.

FIRST it was IIT-Kanpur.

Kanpur as a city has a awful infrastructure but as soon as you enter the IIT-campus everything changes Its one of the most professionally managed institutes I have seen. Everything was so well organised. Everywhere there were markers for us to know where to go and whom to report and stuff like that. We were put up in one of the newly constructed hostels and were given mouth watering food :wink: You almost want to stay there for next 2 yrs just to experience the campus and life there. TOO BAD there MBA departmant is still in its nascent stage.

Then it was IIT-Delhi

Less said abt it is better It was one of the worst managed event I have ever come across. One got a feeling as if they didn't care! We all were dumped into a single common room. (Almost ironic that because of this pathetic arrangement got to meet some very interesting personalities). In the entire IIT as if nobody was aware of what was going on. Interview which was scheduled to take place at 1 PM took place at 7 PM and then too for like 2mins One got the feeling as if it was a headache for them to handle the entire interview process. It was good they rejected else I would have rejected them. SORRY I dont have respect for an institute which doesn't have respect for its students or to be students.
Finally it was IIT-KGP

If IIT Kanpur was all professionalism, IIT-KGP was all about personal touch. As soon as one reached KGP railway station you were under able guidance of current batch of students who take care of everything from fooding, lodging to even reschedule of interviews. Students were there 24 hrs on the railway station to help their prospective juniors. 😛 IIT-KGP had a spawling campus and a laid-back attittude to it. :wink: Their MBA programme(including that 3 sem industry training) and list of faculties associated were most impressive. There interview and GD process which was taken by the same panel (which how it should be ideally) was very well organised and lived upto a its IIT-reputation. Had I been selected there (even after a near perfect interview I wasn't 😞 ) I would have felt very proud to be a part of it. :)
Infact an instance comes to mind! Soon after the interview I left KGP on a rickshaw (which I took from the campus itself) The rickshaw driver an old man kept asking abt the interview, course and professors who took my interview. I was amazed to know the amount of knowledge he had abt the IIT-KGP. On asking that how he knew so much he said proudly

"Babu hum aisa wasa rickshaw wala nahin hai hum IIT-KGP ka rickshaw wala hai . Needless to say that 1 line made my day.

why instead of telling abt the GD/Interview in details I have told you abt the entire experiece... I dunno! Maby thats the way I am :wink:

I just care too much abt the finer things in life

Finally it was IIT-KGP

If IIT Kanpur was all professionalism, IIT-KGP was all about personal touch. As soon as one reached KGP railway station you were under able guidance of current batch of students who take care of everything from fooding, lodging to even reschedule of interviews. Students were there 24 hrs on the railway station to help their prospective juniors. 😛 IIT-KGP had a spawling campus and a laid-back attittude to it. :wink: Their MBA programme(including that 3 sem industry training) and list of faculties associated were most impressive. There interview and GD process which was taken by the same panel (which how it should be ideally) was very well organised and lived upto a its IIT-reputation. Had I been selected there (even after a near perfect interview I wasn't 😞 ) I would have felt very proud to be a part of it. :)
Infact an instance comes to mind! Soon after the interview I left KGP on a rickshaw (which I took from the campus itself) The rickshaw driver an old man kept asking abt the interview, course and professors who took my interview. I was amazed to know the amount of knowledge he had abt the IIT-KGP. On asking that how he knew so much he said proudly

"Babu hum aisa wasa rickshaw wala nahin hai hum IIT-KGP ka rickshaw wala hai . Needless to say that 1 line made my day.

why instead of telling abt the GD/Interview in details I have told you abt the entire experiece... I dunno! Maby thats the way I am :wink:

I just care too much abt the finer things in life

Very true. I am an alumnus of iit kgp. Took my chemical engineering course there. Though I had failed myself in realising my dream ( getting to IIT Kanpur ) I cant help but thank god for giving me an opportunity to stay at IIT Kharagpur for 4 years. those were jolly good times.
I completely agree wid whocarez. IIT kgp is all about personal touch. So peaceful and so calm, away from the daily chores. You can discover your true intellectual self out there. Though majority of the guys out there are pursuing engineering, its a sincere effort of the authorities at the campus to ingrain the VGSOM students in the mainstream life of the campus. Personally I have very high regards fro VGSOM. I even tried to take some courses there during my graduation years, but the profs politely declined. :wink:
All the best to you all in all your efforts.
aaahhhh...I really miss IIT kgp so much. 😞

hi Serendipity,
I got a rank of 1003 in jmet, what r my chances to get a call from iit kharagpur and iisc.Do they give any weightage to the ranks in gd/pi or is just the elimination process.
Thanx in advance

Hi guys,
Well after the CAT debacle seems that i am still riding the same luck...
JMET i secured a rank of 2069
I have 16 months of work Ex in a reputed software firm and would like to know whether i have any sort of chance in IIT KGP......

Please do pour in your suggestions .......

Hi Serendipity,

my rank 1251. 25 months work ex in SW. decent acads.
any chance in VGSOM???

Hi Serendipity,

my rank 1251. 25 months work ex in SW. decent acads.
any chance for call in VGSOM???