VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur Admission queries

Hi Fella PGs, The Notification for JMET is out. The important dates are Exam Date - 9 December 2007 Results - 4 January 2008 Organizing Institute - IIT Kharagpur. You can post all your queries regarding admission to VGSOM on thi…

Hi Fella PGs,

The Notification for JMET is out. The important dates are

Exam Date - 9 December 2007
Results - 4 January 2008
Organizing Institute - IIT Kharagpur.

You can post all your queries regarding admission to VGSOM on this thread .
You can also check out the following threads to get an idea of whats happened in the past..

Life at VGSOM..this is a thread that ll give you an idea of life here..

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/life-vgsom-iit-kgp-25017629

IIT B schools final convert profiles.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iit-final-converts-post-your-profile-25022917

2007 Admissions

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/vgsom-iit-kharagpur-admissions-07-25017760

Cheers,
Seizonsha

Hey... Thanks for the useful info.. But could you please send me the link for the site where i could locate the form for JMET..?

Ruchira.aggarwa Says
Hey... Thanks for the useful info.. But could you please send me the link for the site where i could locate the form for JMET..?

The forms not online yet...Should be up soon...Will post the link when I know its up...
Seizonsha Says
The forms not online yet...Should be up soon...Will post the link when I know its up...

Oh... Okay.. That is why i couldn't locate them... ! he he.. anyways.. Thanks..
Ruchira.aggarwa Says
Oh... Okay.. That is why i couldn't locate them... ! he he.. anyways.. Thanks..

Hi All, Please find below the link to the announcement/notification. JMET :: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur Cheers, Seizonsha

No questions for VGSOM?
Posting just so that this thread is visible and Puys dont have to spend time looking for this thread!

No questions for VGSOM?
Posting just so that this thread is visible and Puys dont have to spend time looking for this thread!

VGSOM is known for giving calls on the basis of profiles.. seniors it wud be great if you all can highlight the parameters taken into consideration... also VGSOM has the highest strength among all the iits... hope this makes the ambience a more rocking one .....
arijit.response Says
VGSOM is known for giving calls on the basis of profiles.. seniors it wud be great if you all can highlight the parameters taken into consideration... also VGSOM has the highest strength among all the iits... hope this makes the ambience a more rocking one .....

Hi there,

You ve zeroed in what I think are strength areas of VGSOM.
We have over 120 students..and I wont comment on our placements..You can do all the comparing

You ll find more information on the placements here:
VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur

Why am I talking of placements in response to your question on strength? You do the drawing of the conclusion again :)

We have amongst us, some ex-defence personnel, and some defence personnel (on leave/with permission)..some doing their 2 year MBA with us...including internship..and some others who will leave us after the first two semesters..
If this werent enough for "diversity", VGSOM also has a very good percentage of work ex juntaa...I dont wanna make tall claims..
You do the math

You ll find all the info u want here:
VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur

Cheers,
Seizonsha

P.S : Junta, we the first year guys have our mid-semester exams starting some time soon...So, you may or may not get responses as quickly as you expect to....But please do pour in your queries...

Well this is respose to the question about the intake criteria at VGSOM.....

Well VGSOM is very particular about bringing diversity into the batch, diversity in terms of engineering back ground, workexperience, and also talent.

Generally VGSOM is seen to have been looking at the following criteria:

1) Work-ex : It is true that at VGSOM majority of the students have had some workex ranging from 8months to 6years (for regular MBAs) and upto 25 years(army and airforce officers). However having said this, let me make it very clear that VGSOM does not have a pre-set fresher:workex ratio in mind, if the admission panel does find worthy freshers, it shall welcome them with open arms.

2) Past academic performance: VGSOM being a part of IIT and moreover the Oldest and the biggest IIT, does lay an immense emphasis on past academic record and the JMET score.

3) Extra Curricular Activities: VGSOM not only believes in good grades, it looks out for people who have been show competence in various other facets of life. Every achievement of yours that has taken a considerable amount of effort and time and showcases some of the other skills you have developed over years will be given due weightage. In a B-school you are expected to do a lot more than just devour huge volumes of books, hence we look for people who can devour huge volumes of books, earn good grades and yet indulge in a lot more activities and win accolades.

Hope this clears some of your boubts, If you have any more questions, please feel free to post and the admission committee of VGSOM will dutifully answer your questions(I shall also try to answer queries as and when time permits). Also as you may be aware, this year the organizing institute is IIT Kgp, hence any questions related to JMET can also be posted here.

Sampreet
CR - Batch of 2007-2009
VGSOM-IIT Kharagpur

Hi PGs...

Hope your preparation is on the right track..

just to get ur attention
any doubts regarding JMET that you may have can be cleared here..

All the best..!!

can u tell me the cut-off percentile /rank needed to get into iit-k.

hi kiranmvia

JMET conducts an all India Level test for selecting students for its MBA programmes at the IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee.

JMET gives out ranks and till last year there were no sectional cutoffs.

Once the results are out, the candidates apply to the various IITs independently, thereby giving you a realistic time so as to go through your options.

VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur does not give GD/PI calls for the candidates on the basis of their ranks, rather it looks for the right kind of profile, having good academic record and also co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The batch of 120 is a mixture of people having good work experience as well as freshers.

Hope some doubts were cleared.

Dear PG AspirantsI see that my classmates are doing a wonderful job on this thread. I am sure they will be able to help u with most of yor queries, but just to let u know that there are studets that will be ready to help u around on this forum and other forums as well.Hope all your preparations are in full swing. All the best for your exams. CheersNitin SinglaClass of 2009VGSOM, IIT Kharagpur

I just came around here to wish fellow PGs and VGSOM aspirants a happy and happening new year! Hope 2008 is a year that marks the beginning of ever happier times for B school students and aspirants alike...

Cheers!

A teaser on whats been happening...Our seniors, the batch of 2006-2008 are done with their final placements, and while we await the official press release, we can tell you that they were more than satisfactory and exceeded expectations on quite a few parameters!

And our batch, the batch of 2007-2009 are gonna be getting into the groove, back from our vacations..
Although the JMET results are only a coupla days away, dont hesitate to let your hair down and have a blast!
And for the XAT aspirants, here's wishing you all the very best! :)

Regards,
Seizonsha

Dear Aspirants

Happy New Year 2008 and all the best for all your results!!!!!
I guess all results to be out in another 5-6 days...So hectic days ahead...

Hope to see in the rush of queries coming in now...would advise all aspirants to shoot all possible queries that u have.... coz these could be shaping ur future.....

Best Wishes!!!!

Nitin Singla
Class of 2009
Vinod Gupta School of Management
IIT Kharagpur

Sir

if u have any idea abt the JMET paper this year,,pls guide me if i can expect a call from any iit(m/d/kgp/) at a score of 48.75-52.5..

n also what was the last rank to get in iit kgp last year..

pls reply asap...nerves cracking up coz result will be out in 3 days time...

Sir

if u have any idea abt the JMET paper this year,,pls guide me if i can expect a call from any iit(m/d/kgp/) at a score of 48.75-52.5..

n also what was the last rank to get in iit kgp last year..

pls reply asap...nerves cracking up coz result will be out in 3 days time...

I think on this score, you should be able to score in the Top 1000 ranks.

Last year IIT KGP give calls >1000 ranks (Not sure but there were few ppl with 1800 rank also).

Actually in VGSOM ur profile, work ex also comes into play specially for lower ranks.

yaar, just wait for 2 more days now. JMET result are out on time always.
I think on this score, you should be able to score in the Top 1000 ranks.

Last year IIT KGP give calls >1000 ranks (Not sure but there were few ppl with 1800 rank also).

Actually in VGSOM ur profile, work ex also comes into play specially for lower ranks.

yaar, just wait for 2 more days now. JMET result are out on time always.

Thats right..VGSOM is known to make GD PI calls taking an overall view..profile, work experience etc.,
There is no point speculating about what rank those marks will fetch (48-52)....especially when we are a coupla days away from the results..
All the very best!

Cheers,
Seizonsha
Thats right..VGSOM is known to make GD PI calls taking an overall view..profile, work experience etc.,
There is no point speculating about what rank those marks will fetch (48-52)....especially when we are a coupla days away from the results..
All the very best!

Cheers,
Seizonsha

Thanks a lot for yr reply..i am getting too anxious for the results..could not restrain myself from asking me what are the chances at such a score..i hope i get a rank within 1000..i wish to join iit at all costs..
These two days would prove to be the longest for me !!