VGSOM GD/PI Experiences

Hi, The short list for GD/PI for VGSoM is out :grab: .This thread is dedicated to helping the short listed candidates in understanding the nature of the next stage of selection for VGSoM.Kindly pour in ur VGSOM Gd/PI experiences in detail… …

Hi,
The short list for GD/PI for VGSoM is out :grab: .This thread is dedicated to helping the short listed candidates in understanding the nature of the next stage of selection for VGSoM.Kindly pour in ur VGSOM Gd/PI experiences in detail...

Cheers
Hemant Rawat
VGSOM Class of 2007

This is my GD/PI experience for VGSOM.First of all my introduction.
Name Hemant Rawat
Educational Qualifictaion : BE Mechanical ( REC Surathkal )
Work Ex : HONDA MOTORS, 34 months
I had my GD/PI in Bangalore.Initially we were given a presentation on VGSOM....How it has evolved over the years and its strengths viz Batch size of 120 and 6 months of Summers.After that we were grouped into different GD groups.I think we were around 8 ppl in a group ( Luckily out of the 8 four made it...But it just depends upon the quality of people in the group...It may so happen that the entire group is washed out).GD FOR VGSOM IS NOT AN ELIMINATION ROUND.AFTER THE GD THE PI TAKES PLACE FOR ALL THE APPLICANTS.
We were given a case study.Each student represented the marketing head of a company which sold pickle and chutney with a 60 % market share in the domestic market and planning a launch in the foreign markets.We were told to put in our points regarding the launch of the products in the new foreign market and also how to retain our domestic leadership as were facing stiff competition from new Chutney and pickle makers in the domestic segment.
The time alloted was for ten minutes....It started like a fish market in the initial phase but later people calmed down and we put in our points.All people were given a chance to speak....At the end of the time all those who did not speak were given a chance to put in their points by the judges.We had a professor from VGSOM and an ex army officer judging us
After that we were told to wait for our turn for the personal interview.....In the PI too the people interviewing ur were the same.My interview went like this..
It were the two gentlemen ( A prof from VGSOM and a Lft Colonel from the army ) and me...They were sitting in front of me with some water glasses n a box of choclates...
I was asked to feel comfortable and sit down.Once settled the conversation took place like this
Prof : OK Hemant could u introduce urself ?
Myself : Personally I would like to introduce ......Eductaionally I would like to introduce myself as a BE from one of the best engg colleegs of India....Professionally I was picked up thru campus into HONDA MOTIRS a dream company for any mechanical engineer etc etc....and a lot of gas.....
Prof : Ok Hemant what welding do u do on Aluminium ( Probably a question related to work ex coz I was working in the welding section )
Myself : After some thinking...Sir I dunno ...We dont do welding on Aluminium in HONDA
Prof : But u shud know coz u are a Mechanical engineer.
Myself : Yes Sir but I read abt it three years ago ...Cant recollect it
Prof : Any guesses... ( probably he dint know too ):) 😃
Myself : Sir I think its spot welding ( I gassed again...and maybe he thought it was correct )
Meanwhile the other gentleman was keenly watching me...He was probably a psychologist
Prof : Hemant u are from Surathkal....I have been there....A very good college and highly reputed too...How did u get an admission there
Myself : Sir I had an effective 99 rank in my State engineering examination....I topped it up with some more gas on my college...
Prof : Ok Hemant ur college is on the seashore...In case u have a building there and one in blore....Which would last longer
Myself : Sir due to the corrosive nature of the sea water I feel that the buliding near the sea wouldnt last longer....
Prof : Hemant where else have u got calls from
Myself : I told him that I had not applied to many places.....IIT B did not give me a call
Prof : Where would u join in case u had all final calls
Myself : Sir from the options I have VGSOM would be best
Prof : Why so.....The person told u to answer this question like this ( he was referring to the students who were from VGSOM and guiding us thru the GD process)
Myself : No sir thats my opinion......I feel that MBA is peer learning....VGSOM has a larger batch size as compared to IIT D and IIT B and it also has 6 months of internship which would help me to diversify wrt industry experience....
Prof : Yeah I feel IIT D inflates a lot of things ( This was a comment from the prof and his personal opinion and it means no harm to any institute or individual )....
Then the two dicussed amongst themselves.....
The other guy asked me a some questions...and then
Prof : Okkies hemant nice meeting you...Hope to see u in VGSOM
Myself : Thanks a lot sir...
I was satisfied with the intw....Except the first question fired at me ( It still haunts me.....)...all in all a very general interview.....i think I did pretty well in the case study but not so well in the intw coz of the first question....
And finally managed to get thru VGSOM......And its true that a larger batch size n six months of internship help.....
Many more of my friends will be pouring in their experiences....PREPARE WELL N ALL THE BEST....
Hemant Rawat
VGSOM Class of 2007

Name Shubhadeep Sarkar
JMET Rank 1394
Work-Experience 8 months till Feb. (13 months till the date of joining)
Company Newgen Software Technologies Ltd., New Delhi
Domain Workflow processes for Financial and KPO domains
Platform Microsoft .Net
Languages C#, VB.Net
Database Oracle 10g Application Server
Venue DoMS, IIT Delhi

GD We had a case study related to a factory worker who was unable to perform up to expectations, had lots of kids, could not express his frustrations to anybody, desire for more money, day-dreaming chap and the same old vicious cycle. In the end, he goes to the Union Leader who provokes him for a strike.

Thankfully, we had a sober group of 11 with no fish-market kind of a scene. Obvious ideas like introduction of an HR Deptt., HR Reps for personal interaction and better knowledge of employee grievances spurted up. A panel of two consisting of one Prof. from VGSoM and one industry expert (the person in my panel was from Tata Steel, Jamshedpur) were involved in the GD process, monitoring who gave good points and how valuable were the points in reaching to the conclusion of the case.
This is my GD/PI experience for VGSOM.First of all my introduction.
Name Hemant Rawat
Educational Qualifictaion : BE Mechanical ( REC Surathkal )
Work Ex : HONDA MOTORS, 34 months
I had my GD/PI in Bangalore.Initially we were given a presentation on VGSOM....How it has evolved over the years and its strengths viz Batch size of 120 and 6 months of Summers.After that we were grouped into different GD groups.I think we were around 8 ppl in a group ( Luckily out of the 8 four made it...But it just depends upon the quality of people in the group...It may so happen that the entire group is washed out).GD FOR VGSOM IS NOT AN ELIMINATION ROUND.AFTER THE GD THE PI TAKES PLACE FOR ALL THE APPLICANTS.
We were given a case study.Each student represented the marketing head of a company which sold pickle and chutney with a 60 % market share in the domestic market and planning a launch in the foreign markets.We were told to put in our points regarding the launch of the products in the new foreign market and also how to retain our domestic leadership as were facing stiff competition from new Chutney and pickle makers in the domestic segment.
The time alloted was for ten minutes....It started like a fish market in the initial phase but later people calmed down and we put in our points.All people were given a chance to speak....At the end of the time all those who did not speak were given a chance to put in their points by the judges.We had a professor from VGSOM and an ex army officer judging us
After that we were told to wait for our turn for the personal interview.....In the PI too the people interviewing ur were the same.My interview went like this..
It were the two gentlemen ( A prof from VGSOM and a Lft Colonel from the army ) and me...They were sitting in front of me with some water glasses n a box of choclates...
I was asked to feel comfortable and sit down.Once settled the conversation took place like this
Prof : OK Hemant could u introduce urself ?
Myself : Personally I would like to introduce ......Eductaionally I would like to introduce myself as a BE from one of the best engg colleegs of India....Professionally I was picked up thru campus into HONDA MOTIRS a dream company for any mechanical engineer etc etc....and a lot of gas.....
Prof : Ok Hemant what welding do u do on Aluminium ( Probably a question related to work ex coz I was working in the welding section )
Myself : After some thinking...Sir I dunno ...We dont do welding on Aluminium in HONDA
Prof : But u shud know coz u are a Mechanical engineer.
Myself : Yes Sir but I read abt it three years ago ...Cant recollect it
Prof : Any guesses... ( probably he dint know too ):) 😃
Myself : Sir I think its spot welding ( I gassed again...and maybe he thought it was correct )
Meanwhile the other gentleman was keenly watching me...He was probably a psychologist
Prof : Hemant u are from Surathkal....I have been there....A very good college and highly reputed too...How did u get an admission there
Myself : Sir I had an effective 99 rank in my State engineering examination....I topped it up with some more gas on my college...
Prof : Ok Hemant ur college is on the seashore...In case u have a building there and one in blore....Which would last longer
Myself : Sir due to the corrosive nature of the sea water I feel that the buliding near the sea wouldnt last longer....
Prof : Hemant where else have u got calls from
Myself : I told him that I had not applied to many places.....IIT B did not give me a call
Prof : Where would u join in case u had all final calls
Myself : Sir from the options I have VGSOM would be best
Prof : Why so.....The person told u to answer this question like this ( he was referring to the students who were from VGSOM and guiding us thru the GD process)
Myself : No sir thats my opinion......I feel that MBA is peer learning....VGSOM has a larger batch size as compared to IIT D and IIT B and it also has 6 months of internship which would help me to diversify wrt industry experience....
Prof : Yeah I feel IIT D inflates a lot of things ( This was a comment from the prof and his personal opinion and it means no harm to any institute or individual )....
Then the two dicussed amongst themselves.....
The other guy asked me a some questions...and then
Prof : Okkies hemant nice meeting you...Hope to see u in VGSOM
Myself : Thanks a lot sir...
I was satisfied with the intw....Except the first question fired at me ( It still haunts me.....)...all in all a very general interview.....i think I did pretty well in the case study but not so well in the intw coz of the first question....
And finally managed to get thru VGSOM......And its true that a larger batch size n six months of internship help.....
Many more of my friends will be pouring in their experiences....PREPARE WELL N ALL THE BEST....
Hemant Rawat
VGSOM Class of 2007

awesome post...
and thanx for the link :)

-Arindam
Name Shubhadeep Sarkar
JMET Rank 1394
Platform Microsoft .Net
Languages C#, VB.Net
Venue DoMS, IIT Delhi
GD We had a case study related to a factory worker who was unable to perform up to expectations, had lots of kids, could not express his frustrations to anybody, desire for more money, day-dreaming chap and the same old vicious cycle. In the end, he goes to the Union Leader who provokes him for a strike.
Thankfully, we had a sober group of 11 with no fish-market kind of a scene. Obvious ideas like introduction of an HR Deptt., HR Reps for personal interaction and better knowledge of employee grievances spurted up. A panel of two consisting of one Prof. from VGSoM and one industry expert (the person in my panel was from Tata Steel, Jamshedpur) were involved in the GD process, monitoring who gave good points and how valuable were the points in reaching to the conclusion of the case.

Thanks a lot...but can u mention ur PI experience too, coz i share almost the same profile....:)
awesome post...
and thanx for the link :)

-Arindam

Hi Arindam,
No need to say thanks dude......We are here to help u though I sacrificed viewing the Indian batting and yet another ton by Tendulkar :satisfie: :satisfie: ...Anyway...Hope u and others find this thread useful for the next stage
Cheers
Hemant Rawat
VGSoM Class of 2007
Name Shubhadeep Sarkar
JMET Rank 1394
Platform Microsoft .Net
Languages C#, VB.Net
Venue DoMS, IIT Delhi

PI A panel of two. The Panelists were the same as the ones for the GD (Case Study)
SS Good Morning, Sir.
Prof Good Morning Mr. Sarkar, please have your seat.
SS Thank you, Sir.

Prof So Mr. Sarkar, how come youve landed up in Agra?
SS Well thats my place of birth, Sir. I was born in Agra and have been schooled there.
Prof So u are a probashi Bangali? (The last two words in a very Bengali accent. Actually, the word probashi is used by the Bengalis hailing from Bengal in a very derogatory sense for those Bengalis who have lived their lives outside Bengal)
SS By the virtue of my birth, yes I am. But the kind of environment I have received in my home, one cant really say that I am probashi.
Prof Okay, Your hobbies say music and literature. Are you into Bengali music and Literature as well.
SS Yes, Sir. Ive been through lots of them.
This followed by a range of questions from Tagore to Sharat Chandra, including differences between Sharat Chandras original Devdas and Sanjay Leela Bhansalis Devdas. Gosh, the Profs field of interest seemed to match mine. L However, I successfully answered most of the questions J A few questions specifically on Guitarists as I mentioned playing guitar as one of my hobbies

Prof Thats fine Enough on your hobbies. Now tell us something on the nature of your work.
Now any person with a work-ex would love that question. So did I
Blabbered a lot on My Product Newgen Omniflow, Business Process Automation and Workflow management coalition (WFMC) compliancy. Prof seemed to be an IT guy and seemed to understand most of it. When I reached VGSoM later, I realized that he was in fact, our IT / MIS Prof.

Prof You have gone into too much of details. But for a layman, how would you define a process. I am eating a biscuit right now, would you say even that is a process?
SS Yes, Sir. Technically speaking, even that is a process. But we are speaking of business processes here and this might not be one. However, if we take into consideration features like, consider the cost of the biscuit, the calories it gives you and the amount of energy out of that you utilize to make money so that you can either buy more biscuits or make a monetary gain; that will be an excellent example of a business process.
All the three of us have a light laugh on this answer of mine

Prof So, your field of Interest is Databases. Tell me something about Normalization.
Darn!!! Had forgotten most of the concepts. Still could utter a few words from my course book Elmasary n Navade
Prof Fine can u tell me how do you attain the BCNF.
Boyce Codd Normal Form was the full form... all I could remember
SS Sorry Sir, we work with Oracle 10g Application Server and at the physical end, the AS takes care for goodness of Data stored. Normalization is the job of the Server and not the Database Administrator.
Prof So you have an idea specific to your work, but not in general.
SS Yes, Sir.

Finally, a look at my SOP. It begun with the last lines of Ullysses by Tennyson.
Prof It seems you are interested in poems as well. Can you tell me the diff between a poem and poetry.
SS A poem is a specific collection of lines, may or may not be rhyming, but has to have a rhythm. A poetry is a generic term that might incluse both prose and poems.
Prof Good. So all the best for your final results. Which all other calls do you have?
SS Im afraid sir, I dont have any.
Prof Where all did you apply?
SS MDI and NITIE except IIMs, IIT D and B and XLRI.
Prof So, what if we dont select you You dont have another option.
SS I disagree to that sir. As of now, I am working and each day, I am doing something new, working on new technologies, on new client requirements. So even without an MBA this year, life would not be stagnant for me.
Prof Good, I wish you all the best again
SS Thank you very much, Sir

Well, that was all I can remember. The interview lasted for about 25-30 minutes. Though I guessed at that hour that the interview was not a perfect one, it did well for me. Hope this helps you.
Hi Seniors

Me an Electronics & Commn engr working for last 42months with a single company

X 74.2

XII 61.2
B.E. 70.2
JMET Rank 1556(General)
Always take a cool-dude-laidback style
Only speak 4-5points in th GD, but do give different points/directions
Can speak on politics/current affairs/social topics
Am reluctant to smile in an interview
can decently answer the questions on career path/ y mba?/etc
Can you guys help me accumulate the questions i might be asked and what kind of behaviour is exhibited for work-ex people
any help and suggestions would be appreciated
Expecting more than a few replies/PM
Cheers,
Ashwani Saraswat
Hi Seniors
X 74.2
XII 61.2
B.E. 70.2
JMET Rank 1556(General)
Can you guys help me accumulate the questions i might be asked and what kind of behaviour is exhibited for work-ex people
Cheers,
Ashwani Saraswat

Hmmm... very tough... we have all gone through just one interview brother... and we stated that... But kind of behavior... I dont know if anybody would especially change it for the sake of an interview...
Be yurself buddy... Dont change your ways in the interview... It will be difficult to carry yourself in an altogether new fashion... Questions, as you saw in both mine and Hemant's case... can be both general and work specific... or related to studies that are related to your work....

Regards
Shubhadeep
Hi Seniors
X 74.2
XII 61.2
B.E. 70.2
JMET Rank 1556(General)
Cheers,
Ashwani Saraswat

Hi,
My advice would be just smile in ur intw.....And prepare well for the GD/case studies and PI....
Cheers
Hemant
Hmmm... very tough... we have all gone through just one interview brother... and we stated that... But kind of behavior... I dont know if anybody would especially change it for the sake of an interview...
Be yurself buddy... Dont change your ways in the interview... It will be difficult to carry yourself in an altogether new fashion... Questions, as you saw in both mine and Hemant's case... can be both general and work specific... or related to studies that are related to your work....

Regards
Shubhadeep

Hi Shubha,
Mailed u on Gmail...Kindly check it......and when are u coming back...Lots is happening here...
Cheers
hemant

Hi hemant
1)Ive got a call from VGSOM ,I have 1.5 years of work ex in infy and extraordinary extra curr and academic rescord.
2)How should I go abt GD /PI
3)and one more doubt i had..How's the placement and batch profile of VGSOM and is it worth after having 2 years work ex.
4)How many students are selected for GD/PI

Hi hemant
1)Ive got a call from VGSOM ,I have 1.5 years of work ex in infy and extraordinary extra curr and academic rescord.
2)How should I go abt GD /PI
3)and one more doubt i had..How's the placement and batch profile of VGSOM and is it worth after having 2 years work ex.
4)How many students are selected for GD/PI

Hey Maverick... replied to you at the other thread...
Go thru my GD/PI... ur profile seems to match mine... except that i had about 10 months work-ex less than u at that time...

Regards,
Shubhadeep
Hi,
This is the GD/PI experience of Vikram Chachra....He was in a market research company and has his summers with HLL-Marketing....Kindly go thru it...Will try to post more experiences...
Cheers
Hemant Rawat
VGSoM Class of 2007
GD Experience

We were all (I think about 12) invited to a room where we sat down in an circle. A senior professor came in and announced the broad principles. We were given a one page case on an European bicycle company that has operations across Europe and has different brand names in different countries. Owing to some reasons which I cannot recall now, they were contemplating renaming the brands or attaching a corparate brand name to each etc. We were to comment on the case..

We got a few minutes to read the caselet and then something funny happened. The Professor just asked if we had read the case and should we start now, one of the guys immediately started talking "Well friends, we are here to discuss the....".
(a case of the sprinter getting off to a false start clearly - he later told me that he had been advised by whatever coaching class to be the first to speak!)

Anyhow we started discussing. Personally, I was just listening hard to the discussion and made a point that was clearly being missed.. drawing a correlation with car names and how lamborghini is an italian name but doesnt stop it from selling elsewhere (or somethying like that).

We discussed for some time... then the professor asked us to each summarise in 3 points the entire discussion)

***end of GD (not bad, no fishmarket..)

My interview was scheduled towards the end..

The Interview
There were 2 senior professors sitting inside. They had my form in their hand.
After pleasantries...
Prof: So Vikram, you've been in a market research company. A lot of people say that research is just a waste of time and money. etc. What dio u say to that?

Me: (i was comfortable with this one.. i had been selling market research for almost 2 years).. I think research is useful because it forms a basis for scientific decision making that allows for data from the actual scenario to be used in addition to only gut feel...

Prof: We are starting a new management course for Air Force officers this year. Do you think we should do a market research for this.

Me: Absolutely, We should ask Air Force officers what they expect from a management course at this juncture; Companies where they might work in the future, about their perception of their current and desired skills/knowledge base/experience; plus relevant opportunities in areas other than HR/Administration.. etc

Prof: (I think he liked my answer) But It costs a lot of money, this XYZ research agency wanted ABC lakhs for it. Will you do it.

Me: Definitely.

Prof: But you will leave in 3 months.. (the first hint that i think i made it here!)

We then exchanged visiting cards..(very dramatic)

Prof: Okay Vikram, I will mail you the research brief... Bye

*****end of interview ( I didnt tell anyone outsuide that we exchanged cards inside though:)****

Hello Seniors,
Even if you have 6 months of work-ex; r u grilled on that in the interview.
Secondly, is there a bias against freshers in VGSOM; because I believe only 20% of your batch consists of freshers.
Help would be appreciated.
Vivek

PS: Y don't u guys ask the mods to close the VGSOM GD PI calls thread and continue in this thread!

Hello Seniors,
Even if you have 6 months of work-ex; r u grilled on that in the interview.
Secondly, is there a bias against freshers in VGSOM; because I believe only 20% of your batch consists of freshers.
Help would be appreciated.
Vivek

PS: Y don't u guys ask the mods to close the VGSOM GD PI calls thread and continue in this thread!

yes u can be grilled... as a matter of fact, in this case, you can be grilled on both work-ex and engg. subjects... so be prepared for that... Other than that, I guess 'bias' is a wrong term used here... Yes, work-ex guyz are preferred... but thats the case everywhere... not just in India... most of the US univs make it mandatory for a min of two yr work-ex for MBA... hat would u say to that???
But don't fear... coz we have quite a good number of freshers in our batch... and statistically, more work-ex guyz crack JMET as compared to freshers... so that justifies everything... right???

P.S. - This thread was especially intended for us to post our GD/PI experiences... Queries would be preferred on the other one...

Regards,
Shubhadeep
MBA Class of 2007
IIT Kgp - VGSoM

Here is another GD/PI experience.....
Name : Rachit Shegal ( he posts as catrac on PG )
Work Ex : Fresher

Hi...
Since the calls are out now n the Mumbai interviews will be conducted soon.....Here's my GD/PI experience of last year...
The process started with a case study regarding a manager's problem...the manager was faced with a crisis as the company wanted to bring about a technology change but the workers resisted....The case was about finding solutions to that particular problem.....We were given five minutes to think n then each of us was asked to give our personal opinion in about 1 -1.5 minutes...after that the GD was declared open n it was like any other GD....after we ended the GD we were asked to write about the issues n its solutions on a peice of paper....The GD went on about 20-25 minutes...
After that the interviews were held.....In the interviews work related Questions were asked if one had experience....the more work ex a person had ....the more he/she was quizzed on that....i was asked about the specilaiztion area that i would choose....from the form that i had filled n some general awareness ques.....like whats new in marketing now a days etc(i said marketing as my spec. in the interview ) ...

I hope that was of help...
Cheers
IIT Kharagpur

Normal is Boring!!!

Here is another GD/PI experience.....
Name : Rachit Shegal ( he posts as catrac on PG )
Work Ex : Fresher

Hi...
Since the calls are out now n the Mumbai interviews will be conducted soon.....Here's my GD/PI experience of last year...
The process started with a case study regarding a manager's problem...the manager was faced with a crisis as the company wanted to bring about a technology change but the workers resisted....The case was about finding solutions to that particular problem.....We were given five minutes to think n then each of us was asked to give our personal opinion in about 1 -1.5 minutes...after that the GD was declared open n it was like any other GD....after we ended the GD we were asked to write about the issues n its solutions on a peice of paper....The GD went on about 20-25 minutes...
After that the interviews were held.....In the interviews work related Questions were asked if one had experience....the more work ex a person had ....the more he/she was quizzed on that....i was asked about the specilaiztion area that i would choose....from the form that i had filled n some general awareness ques.....like whats new in marketing now a days etc(i said marketing as my spec. in the interview ) ...

I hope that was of help...
Cheers
IIT Kharagpur

Normal is Boring!!!

From earlier write ups it seems that IITkgp goes for casestudies only??Is it true?

Also,I heard they ask questions on engineering maths in interview of freshers(I have 6 months work-x)?

Please reply soooooooooooon
I have my interview on 10th feb.