VGSOM [2013-2015], IIT Kharagpur GD-PI Experiences

Hi All, The GD/PI process of VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur has commenced. Best of luck to all the shortlisted candidates. Please use this thread to post your GD/PI experiences.It would not only help the other shortlisted candidates but also the next …

Hi All,
The GD/PI process of VGSOM,IIT Kharagpur has commenced.
Best of luck to all the shortlisted candidates.
Please use this thread to post your GD/PI experiences.It would not only help the other shortlisted candidates but also the next year Aspirants/Applicants.
So,Please post your GD/PI experience in following format-

CAT score
OA :
QA/DI :
VA/LR :
Xth :
XIIth :
Graduation stream :
Graduation %age/CGPA :
Work ex :
GD/Case Study Experience
No. Of people in group/panel :
No. Of of people who actually attended :
GD/Case study Topic :
GD/Case study Experience :
Time duration :

PI Experience
Number Of panel members :
Panel member names(if you know) :
Questions asked :
Interview experience :

Other Miscellaneous Details :
Overall Experience :

Chances of converting(prediction):

Puys start posting your experiences please!!

chalo leme begin \m/

Date: 6th march, 1:30pm

CAT score
OA : 97.48

QA/DI : 96.xx
VA/LR : 95.xx
Xth : 87.xx
XIIth : 85.xx
Graduation stream : Mechanical Engineer
Graduation %age/CGPA : 9.15
Work ex : Jeero (0)

GD/Case Study Experience
No. Of people in group/panel : 10

No. Of of people who actually attended : 9

GD/Case study Topic : Should interlinking of rivers be undertaken. what are its benefits and harm if any.

GD/Case study Experience : great group. every1 got a chance to speak. very little interruptions. hifi points about PPP and feasibility analysis were made (went over my head, hence hifi). consensus hi thi group mein, dat yes interlinking of rivers should be done as there are more benefits than harm.
i enterd quite a few times. gave generic points like its gonna help in irrigation, transportation (ppl, freight). said canals should be built. ppl spoke about diversity in people of india, diffrent flow characteristics of rivers in different regions, hence there should be a proper analysis of wether the interlinking of rivers is required. floods were talked about. 1 chap mentioned the cauvery river case but it went unnoticed!
overall a cool gd. i did significantly well. the report at the end was also carefully and neatly done :)

Time duration : 5 mins to think, 15 mins to fight n last 5 mins to scribble down the proceedings of the case discussion from a reporter's point of view

PI Experience
Number Of panel members : 2. middle aged prof P. nice mummy-like maam M.

Panel member names(if you know) : nada

Questions asked :

me: goodafternoon ma'am, goodafternoon saar!
(M left to take a call as i entered)

P: hi ishan. tell me about urself
me: im batman
. (no, i gave a looong well prepared answer, duh!)

(M entered, P introduced me to her, she asked me where i studied n stuff)
P: what electives did u have in ur final year?
me: automobile engg, final yr project, etc.

P: teme abt ur project.
me: badhiya se xplain kara about my state of the art hybridization of a motorbike engine (it's half as cool as it sounds). told him at length abt how far we have come, and its feasibility in today's world. P n M seemed convinced

P: ma'am here lives in kgp, alone. she has to travel around 10-15 kms everyday in n around the campus. sell her a car.
me: surprisingly maine ek salesman ke role me Maruti Alto ki ek mast description de di. itne features bataye jo Swift me na mile!

M: nice, actually i have an Alto myself and am pretty happy wd it
P: now sell me a car, i have a big family and i like going on drives wd em. (salesman bana dala mujhe)
me: went on and on about the Scorpio MicroHybrid, about its big cabin space and the fact that it's environment-pro n all dat jazz.

P: do u kno sumthin abt management subjects? (i had mentioned i wana go ahead in ops)
me: dealing dia ki gd/pi prep ke tym pe thodi dekh li thi yaha waha.

P: teme abt 6-sigma. what's the number of allowed failures in it?
me: shabaash saar, yahi to maine padh rakhi thi. gave the answer poore josh me!

M: teme abt ur family.
me: yaha kaafi K3G types senti maari maine, abt papa ki dream ki maine mba karna n oll :D
M smiled

P: thank yu ishan, nethin u wud like to ask us?
me: impression jamane k liye SCOPE ke baare me (club hai supply chain nops ki). P ne dealing di fir

M, P: thank yu ishan. please deposit ur id card on that chair.
me: all smiles, id pheka n bhaga bahar! haath me poori barf jami hui thi

Interview experience : very chilled out.panel was like a dollop of honey on cheesecake
M toh poori mum jaisi thi, very very distant like the James Bond waali 😛
P was also nice. very cordial. they asked me exactly wot i wantd em to ask and we were forever exchanging smiles

Other Miscellaneous Details : nope. be relaxed. panel extremely chill hai.
but the 2nd pi panel experience was pura ulta. smbdy post their xperience plz.

Overall Experience : like cool lemonade on the beach on a cloudy day \m/

Chances of converting(prediction): hope i do
. my being a fresher should be the only factor acting against me in an otherwise fantastic gd/pi experience

ATB to all puys, chill maaro!
CAT score
OA : 98.89
QA/DI : 98.98
VA/LR : 94.84
Xth : 93.8
XIIth : 85.2
Graduation stream : Instrumentation and Control Engg
Graduation %age/CGPA : 69.86
Work ex :
GD/Case Study Experience
No. Of people in group/panel :10
No. Of of people who actually attended : 8
GD/Case study Topic : A case study regarding 3D Printing... (dont remember exactly)
GD/Case study Experience : overall a decent GD.. definitely not a fish-market scenario... the topic being a difficult point the group couldnt put forth a large number of points... came in a couple of times with fairly decent points... ((Rating: 6.5-7/10 ))
Time duration : 5 mins for jotting down points and thinking...10 mins discussion... 5 mins for writing down the summary.

PI Experience
Number Of panel members : 2
Panel member names(if you know) : one very pleasant ma'am (dont remember the name) and the Dean himself Prof. K K Guin
Questions asked :
>im not very good at recollecting the questions after an interview 😛 still i'll mention the ones i remember distinctly :)
>first of, Tell me abt yourself.... discussed abt my background... family background.. education...
>questions from my hobbies and interests ... i mentioned 'cooking' so was asked a few questions on that! 😛 ...
>being a fresher (2012 passout) i was asked to discuss my Final Yr Project in detail... gave a decent and technically sound explanation...
>i had a couple of certificates of the Child's Rights Congress so was asked to describe the whole experience with special emphasis on my role as the group leader...
>i was asked a few questions on the sports i liked playing or following... told them ...
>ma'am asked me my views on the juvenile crimes and how to control them and on what grounds shud judgement be taken... gave a convincing answer
Interview experience : was a wonderful experience ... a good 17-20 mins of interaction... at the end of the interview all the three (me + the panelists) were seemingly happy... smiles all over! 😛 😃
Rating: 8-8.5 /10

Other Miscellaneous Details : stay calm and relaxed... it is a chilled out process 😃
Overall Experience : overall a wonderful experience... loved the video that was played in the beginning! 😃

Chances of converting(prediction): Hopeful!
I've my GD-PI on 27th March at Mumbai and I can see d experience of d people from mumbai as well here , so is there any change in d process which I've not been informed? or is it on 27th March??? plz reply fast any 1 has his/her PI on 27th march at dadar catering clg????
@ishanverma said:

. nice mummy-like maam M.
hahahahahahaha best description
@ishanverma
@sam1810 whr do we hv to enter our hobbies or achievements details..?

@ABNP i dont think there is any space... u just need to say what they are! :)
@ABNP we don't enter thm anywhr. if they ask u reply!
@kunjesh Hi kunjesh...even I have my interview on the 27th of March in mumbai

@sam1810 said:
Overall Experience : overall a wonderful experience... loved the video that was played in the beginning! Chances of converting(prediction): Hopeful!

The VGSOM video was prepared by one of our batchmates - Sayan Majumdar. He has done a fantastic job :)
@legendtim really enjoyed it.....
@ishanverma said:
chalo leme begin \m/Date: 6th march, 1:30pmCAT score OA : 97.48QA/DI : 96.xxVA/LR : 95.xxXth : 87.xxXIIth : 85.xxGraduation stream : Mechanical EngineerGraduation %age/CGPA : 9.15Work ex : Jeero (0) GD/Case Study ExperienceNo. Of people in group/panel : 10No. Of of people who actually attended : 9GD/Case study Topic : Should interlinking of rivers be undertaken. what are its benefits and harm if any.GD/Case study Experience : great group. every1 got a chance to speak. very little interruptions. hifi points about PPP and feasibility analysis were made (went over my head, hence hifi). consensus hi thi group mein, dat yes interlinking of rivers should be done as there are more benefits than harm.i enterd quite a few times. gave generic points like its gonna help in irrigation, transportation (ppl, freight). said canals should be built. ppl spoke about diversity in people of india, diffrent flow characteristics of rivers in different regions, hence there should be a proper analysis of wether the interlinking of rivers is required. floods were talked about. 1 chap mentioned the cauvery river case but it went unnoticed!overall a cool gd. i did significantly well. the report at the end was also carefully and neatly done Time duration : 5 mins to think, 15 mins to fight n last 5 mins to scribble down the proceedings of the case discussion from a reporter's point of viewPI ExperienceNumber Of panel members : 2. middle aged prof P. nice mummy-like maam M.Panel member names(if you know) : nadaQuestions asked : me: goodafternoon ma'am, goodafternoon saar!(M left to take a call as i entered)P: hi ishan. tell me about urselfme: im batman. (no, i gave a looong well prepared answer, duh!)(M entered, P introduced me to her, she asked me where i studied n stuff)P: what electives did u have in ur final year?me: automobile engg, final yr project, etc.P: teme abt ur project.me: badhiya se xplain kara about my state of the art hybridization of a motorbike engine (it's half as cool as it sounds). told him at length abt how far we have come, and its feasibility in today's world. P n M seemed convinced P: ma'am here lives in kgp, alone. she has to travel around 10-15 kms everyday in n around the campus. sell her a car.me: surprisingly maine ek salesman ke role me Maruti Alto ki ek mast description de di. itne features bataye jo Swift me na mile! M: nice, actually i have an Alto myself and am pretty happy wd it P: now sell me a car, i have a big family and i like going on drives wd em. (salesman bana dala mujhe)me: went on and on about the Scorpio MicroHybrid, about its big cabin space and the fact that it's environment-pro n all dat jazz.P: do u kno sumthin abt management subjects? (i had mentioned i wana go ahead in ops)me: dealing dia ki gd/pi prep ke tym pe thodi dekh li thi yaha waha.P: teme abt 6-sigma. what's the number of allowed failures in it?me: shabaash saar, yahi to maine padh rakhi thi. gave the answer poore josh me! M: teme abt ur family.me: yaha kaafi K3G types senti maari maine, abt papa ki dream ki maine mba karna n oll M smiled P: thank yu ishan, nethin u wud like to ask us?me: impression jamane k liye SCOPE ke baare me (club hai supply chain nops ki). P ne dealing di firM, P: thank yu ishan. please deposit ur id card on that chair.me: all smiles, id pheka n bhaga bahar! haath me poori barf jami hui thi Interview experience : very chilled out.panel was like a dollop of honey on cheesecake M toh poori mum jaisi thi, very very distant like the James Bond waali P was also nice. very cordial. they asked me exactly wot i wantd em to ask and we were forever exchanging smiles Other Miscellaneous Details : nope. be relaxed. panel extremely chill hai.but the 2nd pi panel experience was pura ulta. smbdy post their xperience plz.Overall Experience : like cool lemonade on the beach on a cloudy day \m/Chances of converting(prediction): hope i do. my being a fresher should be the only factor acting against me in an otherwise fantastic gd/pi experience ATB to all puys, chill maaro!
I hope your Interviewers don't read this.. You have left no way to go 'unidentified'...
Nice GD/PI experience summary BTW.. All the best..
@Aastalks said:
I hope your Interviewers don't read this.. You have left no way to go 'unidentified'... Nice GD/PI experience summary BTW.. All the best..
maam ko isliye toh itna makhan lagaya hai taaki wo padhein to khush ho jayein 😛 :D
actly dono ka makhan lagaya hu ache se
@sam1810 said:

Panel member names(if you know): one very pleasant ma'am (dont remember the name)
the name of the pleasant ma'am is Aradhana Malik ma'am 😃
@sam1810 said:
the name of the pleasant ma'am is Aradhana Malik ma'am
Good dude. Naam bhi pata kar liya ;)
@Aastalks Asheesh sir apni gd/pi experience to post karo!
@sam1810 said:
the name of the pleasant ma'am is Aradhana Malik ma'am
Aradhna Malik maam was in our gd. My pi maam's name do u kno?
@ankitrocks arre bhai i happened to see her on the VGSOM facebook page waheen se came to know her name! 😃