Usefulness of Admissions Counselling

Hi all,I’ve recently signed up for GMAT classes and am planning to write GMAT towards July-end. I would like to know how effective is the Admissions Counselling offered by various institutions like ********, Manhattan Review etc… Is it really r…

Hi all,

I've recently signed up for GMAT classes and am planning to write GMAT towards July-end. I would like to know how effective is the Admissions Counselling offered by various institutions like ********, Manhattan Review etc.. Is it really required or if I can research well and use this forum judiciously, I can handle the admissions by myself? Also the price quoted by one of them was close to INR 40000, enough to apply for 4 colleges in US. Is it really worth it? Sorry if I'm sounding quite a bit lost or confused.

I agree with Ashish.

Also you should perhaps have a talk with the person who will work on your essays. Not the person at the front-desk or the sales guy pushing it down your throat :mg: Once you talk (even for 10minutes) you should be able to understand the person's thought process as well as command over the language.

Arun
@JesterHead : I think a good consultant can make a huge difference to your application. I consider myself good at these things but I think I would not have made it to Kellogg if I had tried to save that money. Given the amount of competition, one has to put their best foot forward. One can't be penny wise and pond foolish. 😃 . . Having said that, I also think that getting a good consultant is like marriage. You got to find the right match. :)

@neha4659 : This might sound like the most predictable, and the most lame question I can ask, but I'd still like to ask, can you share the name of the consultant that was helpful to you?