US Visa Cap...Companies in US wont hire international

Hey Guys what is this?? read this on businessweek forums and found it interesting sharing here…How much is the truth…I think this would discourage the internationals from applying for the US B-Schoolss… Please cud anyone verify the…

Hey Guys

what is this?? read this on businessweek forums and found it interesting sharing here...How much is the truth..I think this would discourage the internationals from applying for the US B-Schoolss...

Please cud anyone verify the claims as to what is this going on....

Hey Guys

what is this?? read this on businessweek forums and found it interesting sharing here...How much is the truth..I think this would discourage the internationals from applying for the US B-Schoolss...

Please cud anyone verify the claims as to what is this going on....

Hi,

Seems like the problem is real till the fate of the immigration bill is decided one way or the other... read this:

A Visa Squeeze for Foreign MBAs
The new immigration bill may actually may things worse. Even though the number of H1Bs will be increased, each H1 B will be valid only for 2 years at a time, after which the worker has to leave the US for a year! (as compared to the present validity of 6 years) . This is quite impractical and not many employers are going to hire internationals if they have to deal with this kind of crazy rule. The Green card process is also going to take a big hit for skilled immigrants.

Basically this bill is skewed to benefit the 12 million strong illegal immigrants. The Hispanic lobby in the US is very strong while there is no comparable lobby for skilled migrants.

I for one am actually regretting my decision not to have applied to Europe/ UK 😞 would give anything for an LBS or INSEAD right now (I am heading to a top 10 US school this fall)

Bombaydude this info that H1 is valid for 2 years is true..if tis happens then I believe lot of international would not be applying to US B school n otherwise tis would be used by Europe and UK to leverage this in there favor

I m planning to apply next fall..I dont know whether I should apply now or not

Can anyone please guide me through this process..

Hey any views anybody wants to share on this concern I think this is a major concern and something needs to be done in this case becoz who so ever is planning to apply to US Bschools needs to consider this fact very seriously..and this is a major factor before one considering applying to US Bschools becoz of the heavy loans one take and then comes the payback time what do u say guys????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I request pagalguy n other gurus to show the right path...

Thanx a lot guys!!!!!!!!

This news is not new - I am surprised you guys haven't heard about this through other sources or through research. I have already posted regarding US work visa problems in other threads though. Having lived in US for more than 8 years (now studying in Rotman, Toronto), the last 2 years or so have been increasingly tough on international students..this article only talks about the top schools - imagine the problems faced by the students beyond top15-20 schools!

But yeah this is definitely true - even my cousin in Ross (Michigan) told me about problems faced by international students who are looking for jobs in non-IB or non-consulting firms..and now with this visa cap, even these companies are finding it hard to sponsor work visas..unless the US improves its H1 and immigration systems, I advise all to consider non-US schools too.

Hey any views anybody wants to share on this concern I think this is a major concern and something needs to be done in this case becoz who so ever is planning to apply to US Bschools needs to consider this fact very seriously..and this is a major factor before one considering applying to US Bschools becoz of the heavy loans one take and then comes the payback time what do u say guys????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I request pagalguy n other gurus to show the right path...

Thanx a lot guys!!!!!!!!

hey what s the latest update on this case I mean the H 1 VISA issue in US is there any improvement in the situation or it is same...Please update us....

Thanx

it doesn't change overnight - it takes a long time through immigration bills in the senate. As of now, its pretty bad and many Indians are not aware of it.

hey what s the latest update on this case I mean the H 1 VISA issue in US is there any improvement in the situation or it is same...Please update us....

Thanx
puhrince Says
it doesn't change overnight - it takes a long time through immigration bills in the senate. As of now, its pretty bad and many Indians are not aware of it.

the bill has failed

yeah I just read that - its plain silly but I don't care anymore..anyways how u doing? where are u now? I am happy I made the move here to Toronto - enjoying it every bit.

Masala Dosa Says
the bill has failed
puhrince Says
yeah I just read that - its plain silly but I don't care anymore..anyways how u doing? where are u now? I am happy I made the move here to Toronto - enjoying it every bit.

Hi
The EB3 priority dates are current for me. I have decided to attend Said(Oxford).
Cheers mate

Hey Guys Which Bill R U Talking About Is It The H 1 Visa Bill Or What...

mine are current too but since I am out of US right now, I have to go thro the consular processing route.

Hi
The EB3 priority dates are current for me. I have decided to attend Said(Oxford).
Cheers mate

that as well as green card bills.

sgmat Says
Hey Guys Which Bill R U Talking About Is It The H 1 Visa Bill Or What...

Well this bill + the current scenario with H1 + other factors....
I am not going to Duke anymore....this year.

enough of this US immigration bull$hit. I have had enuf after 3.5 years in the U.S. I am not going to waste my young age over this crap anymore.
There are several indians I have spoken to in the top schools who are now in a quandary. Many may have to go back next year after OPT...

puhrince....could you send me your email...i am thinking of European or Candian schools next year...

i am thinking of European or Candian schools next year...

Kgkid: This has really come as a surprise to me. I thought you were all set for Fuqua. Anyways, from what I have found out so far, there are problems with European b-schools as well, mostly in terms of the way recruitment happens. Would suggest you to do a thorough analysis and speak with current students before you make a crucial decision.

kgkid, you are thinking and doing the right things - I made the mistake of stagnating in my job in US (was there for 6 years) bcos I had applied for the GC and waited forever..in hindsight, I shouldn't have let the GC decide my career - rather, one should move on - jobs are plenty worldwide and if you are mobile, thats even better...one can always come back to US if he/she so desires...you have your age on you, don't let it go waste.

yep - once I saw people in top 10 schools having problems, it didn't make sense for me to apply in the US.

you can email me at

Well this bill + the current scenario with H1 + other factors....

enough of this US immigration bull$hit. I have had enuf after 3.5 years in the U.S. I am not going to waste my young age over this crap anymore.
There are several indians I have spoken to in the top schools who are now in a quandary. Many may have to go back next year after OPT...

puhrince....could you send me your email...i am thinking of European or Candian schools next year...

rahul - i don;t think that has to do with work permit problems is it? recruitment is a different matter but being able to work in the first place is a whole lot different - its no point being in the recruitment game if one can't qualify for it

itsrahul Says
Kgkid: This has really come as a surprise to me. I thought you were all set for Fuqua. Anyways, from what I have found out so far, there are problems with European b-schools as well, mostly in terms of the way recruitment happens. Would suggest you to do a thorough analysis and speak with current students before you make a crucial decision.
puhrince Says
rahul - i don;t think that has to do with work permit problems is it? recruitment is a different matter but being able to work in the first place is a whole lot different - its no point being in the recruitment game if one can't qualify for it

purhince: There are work permit related problems also. If a company based in Europe wants to employ a non EU person, it has to first make the job offer public for EU candidates, i.e. it has to prove that there isn't a EU candidate eligible for the job. This is a lengthy legal process and many mid/small size companies do not engage in it.

Second issue is the language problem. If you are not going to UK, you must learn the local language.

Also, you do not get as many recruitment opportunities on campus as you get in US (barring in some top schools like LBS/INSEAD etc).
I am going to HEC this year and whatever I have written above is based on my interactions with the current students.