US student visa

Hi All, I am joining Chicago GSB this fall for the Full Time MBA programme, but the usual visa hurdle figures prior to flying. Could anyone please share some knowledge about the best way to go about securing the elusive F1 visa? As …

Hi All,

I am joining Chicago GSB this fall for the Full Time MBA programme, but the usual visa hurdle figures prior to flying.

Could anyone please share some knowledge about the best way to go about securing the elusive F1 visa?

As is common knowledge, documenting funds for 1st year and showing a reasonable source for 2nd year is required. Any idea about how to portray the financial source for 2nd year?

Moreover indicating intent to return after studies is also a norm. Any suggestions how the intent can be portrayed?

Thanks.

Congrats on making it to Chicago! Thats an awesome school! Regarding visa, I believe simba can help because she got her US visa a couple of days ago! :)

Hi All,

I am joining Chicago GSB this fall for the Full Time MBA programme, but the usual visa hurdle figures prior to flying.

Could anyone please share some knowledge about the best way to go about securing the elusive F1 visa?

As is common knowledge, documenting funds for 1st year and showing a reasonable source for 2nd year is required. Any idea about how to portray the financial source for 2nd year?

Moreover indicating intent to return after studies is also a norm. Any suggestions how the intent can be portrayed?

Thanks.

Thanks for your wishes and suggestion pagalguy.

I would get in touch with Simba about the visa soon.

pagalguy Says
Congrats on making it to Chicago! Thats an awesome school! Regarding visa, I believe simba can help because she got her US visa a couple of days ago! :)
Thanks for your wishes and suggestion pagalguy.

I would get in touch with Simba about the visa soon.

Simba is already here.... Firstly Congrats on the Chicago admit... its an amazing school, no doubts!! 😃

Firstly an admit from a TOP School doesnt really make visa too big a hurdle. Becos the Visa officer (VO) too knows about these good schools & would love to see u studying there & making money for them! 😃 I am a Blue Devil - Class of '07 at Fuqua, Duke! Just got my visa with abs no probs on the day before yesterday!

I am sure u have ur yahoogroup or some kinda group for current students who have been accepted. Most of the Indians are in similar shoes so they can guide u thro any specific questions. Seniors too are good resources. 😃

I hope Chicago has some funding ideas for international students. I am using the Duke Opportunity Loan. So, my I20 said that 1/2 of first year expenses will be paidby e & other half by the loan. I was just prepared to answer the questions if the VO asked some specific questions. For the second year too, I would have said that I will bear half the expenses kind but I never had any such question at all!!

Yeah, if u are the youngest child or something like ur folks have lot of property for u... or they have some business that u intend to take over. See the VO will never point blankly ask u - "will u ever come back??" rather, when u answers questions like - what are ur plans after MBA, u can always coin ur answers such that u can talk about job prospects here in India!! 😃

If u need mor info, pl PM me!!

Byeeeeeeeeee
Simbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks for the info Simba.

My office is located in Noida and a South-Indian colleague is also a Blue Devil joining Fuqua this August. U might have interacted with him on your yahoogroup.

Anyways, I'll try arranging the visa things and get in touch with u shortly.

Thanks once again.

Simba is already here.... Firstly Congrats on the Chicago admit... its an amazing school, no doubts!! 😃

Firstly an admit from a TOP School doesnt really make visa too big a hurdle. Becos the Visa officer (VO) too knows about these good schools & would love to see u studying there & making money for them! 😃 I am a Blue Devil - Class of '07 at Fuqua, Duke! Just got my visa with abs no probs on the day before yesterday!

I am sure u have ur yahoogroup or some kinda group for current students who have been accepted. Most of the Indians are in similar shoes so they can guide u thro any specific questions. Seniors too are good resources. 😃

I hope Chicago has some funding ideas for international students. I am using the Duke Opportunity Loan. So, my I20 said that 1/2 of first year expenses will be paidby e & other half by the loan. I was just prepared to answer the questions if the VO asked some specific questions. For the second year too, I would have said that I will bear half the expenses kind but I never had any such question at all!!

Yeah, if u are the youngest child or something like ur folks have lot of property for u... or they have some business that u intend to take over. See the VO will never point blankly ask u - "will u ever come back??" rather, when u answers questions like - what are ur plans after MBA, u can always coin ur answers such that u can talk about job prospects here in India!! 😃

If u need mor info, pl PM me!!

Byeeeeeeeeee
Simbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Congrats dude on Chicago admit. Amazing place to be. all the best with your visa thingie.

Thanks capreal. Hope things go the right way!

capreal26 Says
Congrats dude on Chicago admit. Amazing place to be. all the best with your visa thingie.

Hey GSB007 Congrats!!

Let us know the vital stats helpful to the future applicants if possible!!!
best of luck,
K

800-4.0-10 (GMAT-GPA-Work ex)

Kidding DesiGuru,

According to me there is no such thing as ideal vital stat for a B-school admission.

High GMAT, GPA, and work-ex are obviously preferred. However significance importance is given to personal traits like leadership, teamwork, communication skills. Essays in applications can be utilized to convey these characteristics and much more.

My advice is try ur best in GMAT, concentrate on essays, try garnering stellar recommendations, and submit.

Hey GSB007 Congrats!!

Let us know the vital stats helpful to the future applicants if possible!!!
best of luck,
K

hey all visa aspirants

some very basics -

first nd foremost ... do make a mind-set according to "current-trend" as heard frm public ... ppl say... these days they dont give many visas nd similar things ... thts not in ur hand .. so dont think too much on tht

most imp - know all ur papers - wht i mean to say is understnd all ur financial documents thoroughly ... so tht u can ans on any of the financial questions ... be clear on ur plans abt funding ur studies ... so tht u dont hesitate or r never in double mind when asked abt it ...

one of the regular questions is - y so and so univ and y in usa - find some solid reason for ur choosing the univ ... dont try to b different in ur answers ... thr r some reasons tht r common ... nvr mind ... use them ... like the xyz univ is really good in finance(just n e.g.) nd thru my research abt the univ ... i found a few projects goin on in the univ ... being a part of those ... i would learn a lot abt my field of desire ... nd now b sure u hav one or two projects in mind if u need to ans ... usually they wont go so deep ...

thumb rule ... ans in yes nd no ... then if required ... giv a brief explaination ... nd if demanded go in details ... in some cases like multiple sponsors ... if ur fathers income is not too much ... they may say .. the schools expensive ... nd whts ur fathers income ... just say the income ... dont start explainin tht thr r others sponsoring u ... just do so if asked ....

one myth - b very serious ... wear formals ... suit, tie, etc ... not at all required ... b natural ... try to hav a "natural" smile on ur face ... abt clothes ... b decently dressed as in ... normal shirt nd pant will also do ... if of sober color .... blues ... greens ... light shades r better for shirts ...

nd going thru all ur papers a night before ... makes u believe tht u r clear with urself ... nd tht gives u the confidence ... nd tht u need to carry during the interview ... its the confidence nd belief tht makes the final differnce.... though luck always dominates ....

all the best to all with ur visa stuff ....

i think thr shud b a thread talkin abt wht to carry in ur baggage when leaving for USA ... the necessities .... if no one starts ... i ll ...!!!!

-suchit

Thanks for the details Suchit.

Will take care as suggested by you.

aCeAtUSC Says
do not quote messages in their entirety.Gets tough on the eye 😃
Thanks for the details Suchit.

Will take care as suggested by you.

one advice - dont quote big msgs pls ... it takes a lot of space ... quote only imp stuff ... or just address using the name of the person ...

all the best for ur visa
-suchit

i will hav to do a bit of search in my mail boxes and my lappie ... i hope to find some of the mails i hav tht give a detailed list of wht all to carry when u r leavin for USA ... and a few basics ... will attach the same very soon ...

-suchit

dudes n dudettes
I m here with PG 4 a month nearly and it is so fantabulous that i cun explain the joy after getting so much info in a months time.
Well is there in any forum like PG for
GRE-US Univ etc
Obviously it cant match PG but atleast somewhat good forum where queries regarding US Univ GRE scores etc will be discussed

Plz let me know if there is any

cheers
C Kartik

dudes n dudettes
I m here with PG 4 a month nearly and it is so fantabulous that i cun explain the joy after getting so much info in a months time.
Well is there in any forum like PG for
GRE-US Univ etc
Obviously it cant match PG but atleast somewhat good forum where queries regarding US Univ GRE scores etc will be discussed

Plz let me know if there is any

cheers
C Kartik

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/anyone-preparing-for-gre-25005519

---ooooopss... a bit readin error ... i mis-read thread instead of forum in ur post ...!!
-suchit

GSB007,

Congrats.... for ur GSB..Admit

Cheers

Is TOEFL and IELTS a visa requirement for US and UK respectively.
Most of the universities I am applying to do not require me to submit TOELF/IELTS scores.
However I have spoken and heard a few counsellors talk about TOEFL/IELTS being a visa requirement!!!

Can anybody please put some more light on the subject

Thanks

Cheers!!!

Is TOEFL and IELTS a visa requirement for US and UK respectively.
Most of the universities I am applying to do not require me to submit TOELF/IELTS scores.
However I have spoken and heard a few counsellors talk about TOEFL/IELTS being a visa requirement!!!

Can anybody please put some more light on the subject

Thanks

Cheers!!!

visa requirement is tht the univ gives u the acceptance ... if the univ thinks u r proficient enuf in ur english ... nd dont require TOEFL ... visa ppl shud not make any fuss outta it .... but to be perfectly sure abt it ... y dont u mail directly to visa office ... always a better nd safer option

suchit

hey..check out this files.
its A to Z of F1 visa

do pour in replies to let me know if this helped!!
take care,
nakul