US School Selection

I am a recent MBA graduate from one of the top schools in the USA (Top 30). Like many of you, I had big dreams of doing MBA from the US and pursue career in the US after my MBA. Having spent 2 years in the US and in the program, I have a few advic…

I am a recent MBA graduate from one of the top schools in the USA (Top 30). Like many of you, I had big dreams of doing MBA from the US and pursue career in the US after my MBA. Having spent 2 years in the US and in the program, I have a few advices to all aspiring international candidates. Please understand that I have nothing against your choice, I just wanted to share my experience with all you guys, as I don't want people to commit the mistake, which I did.

1.Stick to top 20 schools in the US. Specifically stick to the schools that have been consistently in the top 20 list. I am not talking about schools that made to the top 20 this year or the last year.
2.Look for the big city, if the city is big enough then probably it's not worth to go to that school. Don't settle for cities like Rochester and St. Louis
3.Compare the number of recruiters of your school to the top 5-10 schools. If you see very limited number of companies recruiting from the school then probably it would not be a good school to go for. My experience is that in most of the schools, the career center truly sucks.
4.Look for the number of alums from the business school. If the class size is small than it's very likely that you would not find alums in most of the companies you are interested in. You would find alums only in the local companies. The bigger is the class size the better its for you.
5.Ask the admission or career center representatives of the school about the kind of jobs you would see in the career portal of the school. You would not believe that I have seen web-developers and assistant kind of jobs in my school's career portal.

I don't have a job right now. I interviewed with most of the good companies I was interested in. At times, I screwed up my interviews and at times there was a VISA issues. I did not get any support from the school in terms of getting interviews through school. There were instances, when I really did well in my interview but I was still not selected because there was someone better than me, from a better school.

is the market bad out there currently ? which school have you passed out of and which stream..