US part-time MBA now vs. return to India ?

Hi All, I work with a global med-device company and have 6.5 years work experience in R&D; and Field Clinical roles in US. I have long-term plans to move closer to home in India/ S Asia in the healthcare sector. I applied for part-time MBA at…

Hi All,

I work with a global med-device company and have 6.5 years work experience in R&D; and Field Clinical roles in US. I have long-term plans to move closer to home in India/ S Asia in the healthcare sector. I applied for part-time MBA at 3 schools (UCLA Anderson, Berkeley Haas and Wharton exec SF) and got into all the programs. My initial goal was to possibly move to a new role in Mkt/Strategy while completing my MBA to round my profile and possibly move to S Asia post-MBA. However, there have been some internal developments which have forced me to re-think my plans. There is a great opportunity back in India to manage the Clinical division for my company and I've expressed interest in the role. I'm wondering if I should take up the opportunity if it's offered and look to do my MBA from India/S Asia or should I stick to my initial plan to complete MBA in the US. If I choose to complete MBA in US, I will have to incur 70% of the MBA costs and possibly stay back for couple of years post-MBA to repay the loan etc. I'm concerned about the value of a US MBA in India/S Asia in the long-term compared to local MBA programs like ISB or INSEAD. Also I'm not sure if such an job opportunity will present itself in the future as the markets there will be more mature in the healthcare industry in 3-5 years. Can you advise if I should look to pursue my MBA in US or move back now and pursue an MBA from India/S Asia in the future. Thanks a lot for your guidance in advance.

-Haresh.

Hi All,

I work with a global med-device company and have 6.5 years work experience in R&D; and Field Clinical roles in US. I have long-term plans to move closer to home in India/ S Asia in the healthcare sector. I applied for part-time MBA at 3 schools (UCLA Anderson, Berkeley Haas and Wharton exec SF) and got into all the programs. My initial goal was to possibly move to a new role in Mkt/Strategy while completing my MBA to round my profile and possibly move to S Asia post-MBA. However, there have been some internal developments which have forced me to re-think my plans. There is a great opportunity back in India to manage the Clinical division for my company and I've expressed interest in the role. I'm wondering if I should take up the opportunity if it's offered and look to do my MBA from India/S Asia or should I stick to my initial plan to complete MBA in the US. If I choose to complete MBA in US, I will have to incur 70% of the MBA costs and possibly stay back for couple of years post-MBA to repay the loan etc. I'm concerned about the value of a US MBA in India/S Asia in the long-term compared to local MBA programs like ISB or INSEAD. Also I'm not sure if such an job opportunity will present itself in the future as the markets there will be more mature in the healthcare industry in 3-5 years. Can you advise if I should look to pursue my MBA in US or move back now and pursue an MBA from India/S Asia in the future. Thanks a lot for your guidance in advance.

-Haresh.

If I was in your position I would do the Wharton or Berkeley MBA. The experience is priceless. The only comparable degree in India is IIMA PGPX. The value of that degree in India is because it allows to you tap into the IIMA alumni network in India.