Urgent Help Needed

HI All, I am a 26 yr old Doctor and have decided for a career shift, planning to give GMAT next yr (2008 APRIL) and go for a MBA in Finance from ISB/singapore(2009). I have only clinical work ex of working as a doctor for 3 yrs. i have a…

HI All,

I am a 26 yr old Doctor and have decided for a career shift, planning to give GMAT next yr (2008 APRIL) and
go for a MBA in Finance from ISB/singapore(2009). I have only clinical work ex of working as a doctor for 3 yrs.
i have a few Qs.

1. will a short 1 yr PGdiploma course in finance by correspondence help me in getting -
A) a job in something related to finance which will help boost my CV for getting admission in MBA thru GMAT. this job i will do for 6 months-1yr bfore joining the MBA program B) will it help me in my MBA program as i will already know the finance basics. C) Will it help my CV for MBA even if i dont get a job.

2. from where should i do the correspondence course in finance. money limit upto 25000/, time limit 1 yr.

thanks a lot

Before anything, I think it would help answering some questions to yourself (and will help us help you) Why a sudden career shift from Doctor to an MBA in Finance?

Further I think at this stage it would be tough for you to land up straight into a neat finance position job.

MBAs are needed in every field including healthcare and so people from different professions are doing MBA. MBA after medicine is not a drastic change , its a change from a worker level i.e a doctor to the management level in the same industry. in USA , harvard offers a combined 5 yr course in medicine and MBA. Mccinsey in USA recruits doctors directly from the medical colleges. So like an IT professional does a MBA SO CAN A DOCTOR.

IT Would be of help if you can answer my questions. thanks a lot.

Hi Rahul (That is your name, I hope...)

While I am not against your proposed career shift, I suggest you take a good long look at the kind of stuff required as a background for the MBA. Many of my friends are presently finding it tough as they've been off the loop for a while.

At the same time, the shift you propose for yourself is a big jump. Hence, it will be quite tough for you to gel into the class. A course like ISB and abroad expect a high level of knowledge of subjects many of us are sometimes quite unaware of, except by name, due to our graduate studies, or our professions.

As you will see, you may well find yourself out of depth with what the course requires. That should not dissuade you. A correspondence course or a part-time course in say Finance, or General Management, is recommended for you, to bring you up to some speed about the stuff that will be taken for granted as prior knowledge.

At the same time, do not, perforce, look for a job in the Management arena right now. That is not recommended. You will be quite out of depth there. After completion, you can look for a job, but then again, do test yourself: Do I know enough to tackle the stuff thrown at me in such a job? Only if you reply in the positive, take the leap.

As a CV booster, I am (personally) unaware of too much stress given to part-time courses. They are mostly considered as knowledge-providers, and for those who are unable to spare full-time to gain the extra knowledge. Though, in many cases, they do help fill up an empty resume.

For your last query, do search the PG forums for information on part-time & correspondence courses across the country. This forum being a gold mine of information on management education, I guess you'll find all the info you need.

Regards,
Grondmaster

thanx a lot, for ur help, it seems by ur answers that, i may read a few books on finance to build up my knowledge and not spend money on the correspondence course. as the certificate of a finance course by correspondence will not help me anywhere except in gaining knowledge which i can get by books also or photostat notes of the same course.

AM I CORRECT????????

thanx a lot, for ur help, it seems by ur answers that, i may read a few books on finance to build up my knowledge and not spend money on the correspondence course. as the certificate of a finance course by correspondence will not help me anywhere except in gaining knowledge which i can get by books also or photostat notes of the same course.

AM I CORRECT????????

Not necessarily. You see, a finance book will be able to help you out with the concepts et al., but when you are grappling with the intricacies of twelve different related and unrelated topics, you'd prefer to follow some order. There also has to be someone who will be testing you, and as well as being able to answer your queries. For that matter, a part-time course or a correspondence course is highly preferred.

While correspondence courses will not provide the personal touch that a part-time course lecture will, atleast the course content will follow some design, and the course coordinators will try to assuade your major doubts in some form or other.

Most importantly, you need to test your own knowledge of what you have learnt. For this, you need to give an exam, in the proscribed manner, otherwise, rarely does one find the seriousness to be given, given its due during a test.

Finally, if you feel that you can do without a course, and by self training learn what is required, your call.

Regards,
Grondmaster