[URGENT] A choice of career path

Hi all, This is a question open to one and all. How would react in the following situation if you were looking specifically at getting into the top 10 B Schools in the world/USA? 1. Prior to January 2006 you were at a reputed (only in I…

Hi all,
This is a question open to one and all. How would react in the following situation if you were looking specifically at getting into the top 10 B Schools in the world/USA?

1. Prior to January 2006 you were at a reputed (only in India) services company in India for a period of 1 and half years. This is your first job after passing out of a highly reputed engineering school with a BE degree. The job profile there was marketing semiconductor and embedded multimedia solutions. Basically involving a lot of back end and sales support in your job profile. You can't take the slow path towards growing in the firm and quit.
  2. Next you jump to a consumer electronics giant, an MNC where you are supposed to do Business Development for their innovative solutions group. You travel to Far East countries like China and Korea during your short 6 month stay there. But you are not satisfied with the slow work style and can't take the ego of your bosses. Hence you start looking out for jobs again.
  3. Cut to the present day where your first employer is offering you an offshore placement. You are being offered roughly $60k in the US and some 3 lakhs in an Indian bank account, annually. You finally get to do the front-end sales job you've always wanted to do. Plus there is the added attraction of getting to go to the US without an MBA and having scores of opportunities wide open to you.
Now my question is if you are an MBA aspirant, how would you apporach this case, since the job changes might reflect negatively on your profile? Also should the candidate here leave hopes of a normal 2 year full time MBA and instead focus on an executive MBA?
Please guys, the candidate here is a dear friend of mine who needs to make up her mind quickly.
I'd say .. Its all in the ESSAY. Its more of how you feel of what you do and how best you make the Ad com feel what you have felt about your ownself and your career.

A front end job will always help ( good recos, more exposure, more challenging things on your essay )

E MBA,, Check out the profiles of guys at EMBA progammes. I havent checked 'em out but i guess they should have 7-10+ years work ex.. Wanna wait that long ? The choice is yours.

If u know of PG,the candidate knows as well.......

Cheers,
inblue
Hi all,
This is a question open to one and all. How would react in the following situation if you were looking specifically at getting into the top 10 B Schools in the world/USA?
  1. Prior to January 2006 you were at a reputed (only in India) services company in India for a period of 1 and half years. This is your first job after passing out of a highly reputed engineering school with a BE degree. The job profile there was marketing semiconductor and embedded multimedia solutions. Basically involving a lot of back end and sales support in your job profile. You can't take the slow path towards growing in the firm and quit.
  2. Next you jump to a consumer electronics giant, an MNC where you are supposed to do Business Development for their innovative solutions group. You travel to Far East countries like China and Korea during your short 6 month stay there. But you are not satisfied with the slow work style and can't take the ego of your bosses. Hence you start looking out for jobs again.
  3. Cut to the present day where your first employer is offering you an offshore placement. You are being offered roughly $60k in the US and some 3 lakhs in an Indian bank account, annually. You finally get to do the front-end sales job you've always wanted to do. Plus there is the added attraction of getting to go to the US without an MBA and having scores of opportunities wide open to you.
Now my question is if you are an MBA aspirant, how would you apporach this case, since the job changes might reflect negatively on your profile? Also should the candidate here leave hopes of a normal 2 year full time MBA and instead focus on an executive MBA?
Please guys, the candidate here is a dear friend of mine who needs to make up her mind quickly.

Hi anup

is she sure that Option 3 is not just for the money and opportunity to work in US before an MBA? it seems so. the offer is a great one and seems better because of the ease of achievement.
while i cud agree that front end is better than back-end and blah blah blah but is it what she would want to do? is she clear what she wants to do after her MBA?
i ask this cause if she is not sure of what after MBA, then maybe she shud think really hard on a lot of other issues as well.
when does she want to do start her MBA? immediately? or after 2-3 years?

some food for thought.

Cheers

Kunal