Unofficial Laptop Bulk Deal for JBIMS/NITIE/SJMSOM/SPJain Students

hi all, This thread is meant for all of us, who need Laptops for their b-School life/otherwise, or who think that they can contribute to getting a good deal for the same. Laptops are one of the integral parts of a B-School Life. We need …

hi all,

This thread is meant for all of us, who need Laptops for their b-School life/otherwise, or who think that they can contribute to getting a good deal for the same.

Laptops are one of the integral parts of a B-School Life. We need to have laptops for the following purposes:

1. Playing games
2. Entertainment
3. Presentations and assignments in B-Schools!

(The list ought to be in reverse order, but hey, who said B-School is all about hard-work and slogging. Even if it is, we are gonna change the trend!! )

The need for the hour is to get a good laptop, that satisfies the B-School purpose and provides entertainment in the meantime, looks good, and performs great!

The factors that we need to consider in here are:
1. Speed
2. Cost
3. Looks
4. Performance
5. Heat Dissipation
6. battery life
7. Weight
8. peripherals

I had a talk with Dell, and they suggested the following configuration at 47K

Q540610 Q540610 - Dell Inspiron(TM) 6400 Notebook
HR365 -Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T5300
BRM-025 -1.73 GHz, 2MB Cache, 533 MHz FSB
UN356 -Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic 32 bit (English)
NT188 -Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Basic 32 bit (English/Hindi) DVD Media
DMN-074 -For basic PC use (does not include the new Vista -Aero graphics interface).
DMN-075 -1GB+ System Memory configuration recommended for -optimal performance.
WXTX111-IA -1 Year Next Business Day (8x5) Onsite Response (Parts + Labour)
TC -Varied From DELL's Terms And Conditions
SRVCBTRY -Notebook Batteries Carry 1 Year Warranty Only From Invoice Date
WXPH311-IA -1 Year Telephone Technical Support (9am To 6pm, Monday - Friday)

SRVCINTI-1 -Regional Support Within Asia Pacific Countries for Notebooks with 1 Yr NBD
WXPV111-IA(1) -1 Year CompleteCover
FRT790-INSP -Inspiron(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges (India)
FRT02/790-INSP -Inspiron(TM) Delivery Charges (India)
BRM-005 -1 ExpressCard Slot, (DOES NOT SUPPORT PCMCIA CARD -Artic Silver with Alpine White accents on a black base
BNC-010 -Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet
BCH-110 -Intel(R) 945 Chipset Family
NX186 -Dell Support 3.3
2K159 -Mod Specs Info (India)
BSC-012 -Integrated Stereo Sound
GR256 -Dell(TM) Media Direct 3.0
DMN-048 -Approx. 2.0GB of HDD space will be allocated to Dell Media Direct.
BMC-010 -Internal 56K Modem
TH797 -RJ-11 Modem cable (AP)
XM544 -Dell(TM) PC-Restore
DMN-025 -PC Restore will occupy some HDD capacity.
DMN-026 -The capacity varies with preloaded material and operating environment.
RF366 -15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800

YD610 -1GB (2 X 512MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
BVC-027 -Intel(R) Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 224
MB shared system memory
WW464 -Dell(TM) Premium Optical Mouse
BFD-008 -No Floppy Drive
YH278 -120GB SATA Hard Drive
UD037 -Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
XM387 -Roxio Creator 9.0
FW598 -McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) 8.0 - 15 Months OEM

(English)
JP207 -Dell(TM) Network Assistant - 90 days Trial
PR117 -Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
BWC-D04 -Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card
K4110 -No Color Kit
TH359 -65W AC Adapter
UD262 -9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
UF546 -DELL Large Nylon Case
RMK-001 -Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above.
RMK-002 -Limited time promotional offer only. No further discounts apply.
DT-L-MEM-513 -Free upgrade from 512MB to 1024MB Memory -DT-L-DIS-505 -Cash Off Rs6000 -
DT-L-SOW-501 -Free Upgrade McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) - 15 Months OEM
DT-L-HDD-524 -Free Upgrade from 80GB to 120GB Hard Drive

I asked for the price for a similar Config, just with a change of RAM from 1GB to 2 GB and a Nvidea Graphics Card, and that configuration costs around 59K.

RAM (2GB) and Graphics card are useful when one is a hardcore gamer. i wud still suggest 2GB RAM coz Excel files can run upto 80MB, for which 1GB RAM looks like an old begggar wanting for more! Moreover, watz life without Vista(which hogs 1GB RAM). We can do without a graphics Card though! people who would want to haf a graphics card, can alwayz go in for a variation, which we can sort out with the dealer.

We are planning to haf a go at lemington Road(mumbai) and check out a few shops, try to get the best config possible, and after the price for a single piece is fixed and negotiated, we can ask for the price of say 15 laptops, and maybe can get reduced by 5K or so!

I personally feel that the following config shall be ideal:

Pentium 4 Core2 Duo...1.73MHz+
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 120GB
Looks: Stunning
Wide Screen
Good Graphics Card(128 MB shall be fine)/ NVIDEA for the un-initiated and gamers can be worked out seperately
Weight Less than 3Kgs
Carry case, and 9Cell battery, for backup of at-least 6hrs
Wi-Fi, LAN,Bluetooth, Webcam, Wireless inbuilt

Expected Cost after negotiations Finally: 48K(without Nvidea)

I might be missing on a lot of important things, please add them in those posts.

People from all over, in b-Schools or yearning to be there, Seniors, professionals , all are invited to pitch in with their thoughts to make this effort Successful!

People...Please pitch in with your thoughts.....

Any1 knowing any good dealers, or places, where we can have a good deal!
The config, n price is subject to modifications over discussions with fellow PGites...

We are looking for around atleast 10 people, to make this Deal click...The more the better. We can negotiate over a gr8 price! 😃

I am enclosing the config from Dell, for 2GB RAM, and NVidea Graphics Card !!

Hope it is of use... :-)
PS: Mods please lemme know if it is against the rule to do so. If It is, I will snip it off!

I am enclosing the config from Dell, for 2GB RAM, and NVidea Graphics Card !!

Hope it is of use... :-)
PS: Mods please lemme know if it is against the rule to do so. If It is, I will snip it off!

Hey mate...
Matter of fact, i was snooping around today itself looking for laptop deals...
Spoke to a friend in NMIMS... Dell offers a much-much better deal!
A Dell Lattitude... undoubtedly q. good...

Dell Lattitude D620
----------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 proc
1 GB RAM
80 GB HDD
........ (Rest stuff same as other Dells)

2 yrs of support (This is v. imp. ... can be costly)
Accessories: Handbag

Market rate: 69,000-70,000 (i.e. with 2 yr support)
NMIMS : 43,500 (only for NMIMS students of course)

------------------------------------------------------
Seniors @ JBIMS... any info on deals out thr??

Consti it's a Gr8 initiative taken by you. Well all the puys, esp frm Mumbai B Schools like NITIE/SP/IIT B/JB/NM/Syd n others , who r yet to get lappies can do join in this bulk deal Bcoz u atleast make a savings of arnd 15- 20 % at the Mkt cost. .
Well if we decide on the config n the Company then any one of us puys lvng in Mumbai can go dwn to Lamington rd and may be get a quotation frm there. ..
. As far as the tech specifications r cncrnd i thnk 2 GB RAM is bit on the higher side, 1 GB shud b more than enough for normal use in MBA clg (Seniors can enlighten us on this ). Personally i wud prefer a DELL or LENEVO bcoz even though they may b bit costlier but r more sturdier n their performance is also better cmprd to other models.
. If we get arnd 15/20 persons who r seriously intrstd then we can cut a good bargain with the dealer. So Puys start pouring in..Count me in for this. So this makes it 2 along with Consti............
Sorry for the formatting n fonts, usng Proxy to access PG 😞

Lets first finalize a range that would be more affordable to most of us! I am adding a poll for the same. please put in your choices!
M indicating RAM in there as well!

We are looking at a price range of 45-50K, with people interested in higher end config, paying 4-5K extra, as per their intrest! Majority wud go in for a deal like

Pentium 4 Core2 Duo...1.73MHz+
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 120GB
Looks: Stunning
Wide Screen
Good Graphics Card(128 MB shall be fine
Weight Less than 3Kgs
Carry case, and 9Cell battery, for backup of at-least 6hrs
Wi-Fi, LAN,Bluetooth, Webcam, Wireless inbuilt

price range: 45-48K

I feel this is the ideal config to be brought in under 50K !
2GB RAM is important coz of Windows Vista which requires 2GB for gr8 performance. i don't mind paying 5K extra for it either. if many people feel that 1GB is enuf, then a deal for 2GB can be extra, and 1GB would form the basis of the bulk deal. it is all democracy, as they say!
HP Pavilion dv6314TX Entertainment Notebook PC (GJ154PA)
NEW!
HP Pavilion dv6314TX Entertainment Notebook PC (GJ154PA)
NEW!
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate
1.73 GHz
1024 MB
160 GB
Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400
35.70 cm (L) x 25.70 cm (W) x 2.54 cm (min) H / 4.30 cm (max) H
2.78kg (6.14 lbs)
802.11 a/b/g WLAN

// code block #17 var partnr = 'GJ154PA'; var guistyle = 'normal'; if (!window.scLoaded) { document.write (''); } // code block #18ezb ();
Please check THIS out! I think its cool, coz we can negotiate this to around 50K in a bulk deal easily!!

Check the link!
HP Pavilion dv6300 Entertainment Notebook PC series overview - HP Home & Home Office products

nice initiative mate. one query though. have heard that vista has a few tech. glitches. is that true? then why not go for the old & trusted xp?

p.s.: any comments will be appreciated by this novice of the computer world...

havent got into any b school as yet....but am interested in the laptop deals...good effort from u guys...wanted to know at what price range do the b schools strike a deal for the laptops...is it cheaper than what we can bargain for?

another thing narsee monjee has another option for apple laptops..i think around 70 k....any body has an idea abt that deal?

cheers,
sanchita.

havent got into any b school as yet....but am interested in the laptop deals...good effort from u guys...wanted to know at what price range do the b schools strike a deal for the laptops...is it cheaper than what we can bargain for?

another thing narsee monjee has another option for apple laptops..i think around 70 k....any body has an idea abt that deal?

cheers,
sanchita.

Hi Sanchita,

Would like to clear here, that No-Bschool is directly involved in this Bulk Deal. We are just to-be students of some B-Schools, who are striking a deal with the vendors!
It shall be cheaper, coz the vendor gets to sell 10-15 pieces, which decreases his transportation, and inventory cost, plus helps him get a good credit with company.

I don't know if many people will be interested in 70K Laptops. If anyone can post the config, some of us, may definitely think abt it!

Cheers!
nice initiative mate. one query though. have heard that vista has a few tech. glitches. is that true? then why not go for the old & trusted xp?

p.s.: any comments will be appreciated by this novice of the computer world...

Vista, might have a few glitches, but they are not major ones. Plus, when U have a registered version, they would be rectified, by automatic online updates, or a Service pack(As was in case of XP).

And as for the question of "Why Vista", so the answer is simple...it is the future!!

Cheers! 😃
Vista, might have a few glitches, but they are not major ones. Plus, when U have a registered version, they would be rectified, by automatic online updates, or a Service pack(As was in case of XP).

And as for the question of "Why Vista", so the answer is simple...it is the future!!

Cheers! :-)

Wrong mate! Vista does have a lot of quirky UI glitches. My friends have started experiencing these in the 2-3 months of use. Plus it cuts off support to a lot of non-Microsoft s/ws and applications (the usual Microsoft jhol).

I specifically would NOT want a Vista, simply bcuz its not needed! Esp. for b-skool use....

But ya, its good for ppl scouting for extensions to multimedia and graphics.
Hi Sanchita,

Would like to clear here, that No-Bschool is directly involved in this Bulk Deal. We are just to-be students of some B-Schools, who are striking a deal with the vendors!
It shall be cheaper, coz the vendor gets to sell 10-15 pieces, which decreases his transportation, and inventory cost, plus helps him get a good credit with company.

I don't know if many people will be interested in 70K Laptops. If anyone can post the config, some of us, may definitely think abt it!

Cheers!

here u go:apple lappy details:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4MB Shared L2 Cache
1GB RAM (2x512 MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 2GB
80GB Serial ATA
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
Composite and S-video output using mini-DVI to video adapter (sold separately)
Built-in iSight camera
Mini - DVI output cable with support for VGA included.
Has Marathi, Hindi, Gujarati, Gurmukhi & Tamil fonts built-in.:)
Operating System: Mac OS X, Can boot into Windows XP/Vista using Boot Camp and customer supplied Windows OS.
13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolutions
One FireWire 400 port
Two USB 2.0 ports
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omni directional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Apple Remote.
60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery
Built-in full-size keyboard.
Solid-state scrolling trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
Kensington cable lock slot
Weight: 2.3Kgs.
Carry bags for MacBooks.
3Yrs Warranty (Apple Care protection Plan: Additional 2 Years Warranty) Carry in Warranty
When the students received it at nmims, it had been upgraded to 2 GB basic ram and 120 GB.size.
At the same basic model price offeredat Rs. 61, 700.

wat u say?
cheerz
sanchita.

Cheers! :-)

And for Vista to work smoothly, you will need more than 1 GB Ram, the keyword here is 'more'.

I think we can agree that upgrading RAM in a lappy is quite complicated

I strongly recommend Thinkpad. We had a deal at Sydenham.

Really good stuff, great for Bombay local trains :)

Company IBM Model R60 Processor Intel Core Duo Mobile Technology (1.66GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
Chipset Intel 945GM
RAM Single DIMM 512MB @667 MHz
Operating System Win XPP Preloaded
HDD 80 GB SATA ODD
DVD/CD- Writer Graphics
Adaptor Intel Graphics Media Accelator Pointing
Device Tracking Point pointing device
Display 15.4" WXGA TFT display, resolution 1,024X768 Communications Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Ports 3x USB 2.0, Serial, RJ-11, R-45, AC adaptor,
External Headphone (stereo),External Microphone (monaural)
Warranty 3 years Carry in

Got it for something near 55K

BTW, This happened a year back

The apple Deal seams to be awesome to me!!
Apple is an awesome brand anyday, and if giving 6-7K extra, I get a 2GHz Processor, with 3 Year Warranty, i don't mind that actually.

Can u put on more details in here? Any link to the thread, where the deal can be negotiated. U can use PM too. I can let this be known to every1, whoz interested!!

Great ideas again!!
Rock on people...keep pitching!!

I strongly recommend Thinkpad. We had a deal at Sydenham.

Really good stuff, great for Bombay local trains :)

Company IBM Model R60 Processor Intel Core Duo Mobile Technology (1.66GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache)
Chipset Intel 945GM
RAM Single DIMM 512MB @667 MHz
Operating System Win XPP Preloaded
HDD 80 GB SATA ODD
DVD/CD- Writer Graphics
Adaptor Intel Graphics Media Accelator Pointing
Device Tracking Point pointing device
Display 15.4" WXGA TFT display, resolution 1,024X768 Communications Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Ports 3x USB 2.0, Serial, RJ-11, R-45, AC adaptor,
External Headphone (stereo),External Microphone (monaural)
Warranty 3 years Carry in

Got it for something near 55K

BTW, This happened a year back

prices of Laptops change on a monthly basis. Differences in prices after 1 Year is gonna be tremendous. We need to have the updated info! Can you provide an info abt what would be the price of a good config thinkpad as of now, and any names of dealers, from where it can be procured??

Thanks!
here u go:apple lappy details:

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4MB Shared L2 Cache
1GB RAM (2x512 MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 2GB
80GB Serial ATA
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
Composite and S-video output using mini-DVI to video adapter (sold separately)
Built-in iSight camera
Mini - DVI output cable with support for VGA included.
Has Marathi, Hindi, Gujarati, Gurmukhi & Tamil fonts built-in.:)
Operating System: Mac OS X, Can boot into Windows XP/Vista using Boot Camp and customer supplied Windows OS.
13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolutions
One FireWire 400 port
Two USB 2.0 ports
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omni directional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Apple Remote.
60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery
Built-in full-size keyboard.
Solid-state scrolling trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
Kensington cable lock slot
Weight: 2.3Kgs.
Carry bags for MacBooks.
3Yrs Warranty (Apple Care protection Plan: Additional 2 Years Warranty) Carry in Warranty
When the students received it at nmims, it had been upgraded to 2 GB basic ram and 120 GB.size.
At the same basic model price offeredat Rs. 61, 700.

wat u say?
cheerz
sanchita.

Hi Guys

This is really an awesome config esp for the kind of price we can get it for. I am game for it.

However, I haven't really used Mac OS before so have a few questions:

1. How different is the interface from Windows?
2. Does it support Office applications-Word, Ppt and XL which are the lifelines of Bschoolers?
3. Can microsoft applications like Media Player and others work on it. If no, does the Mac media player support formats like wma, midi, rm, mp3....?

Apart from that I am also game for the config consti has quoted(Core 2 duo, 120 GB, 2GB, Vista) in the price range of 48K