University of Notre Dame: 1st Year Student Taking Questions

Hey, I am a first year student at the University of Notre Dame… I’m here to take any questions that one may have regarding an MBA at ND… I understand that the university, for reasons unknown, is not so popular among prospective MBA s…

Hey,

I am a first year student at the University of Notre Dame... I'm here to take any questions that one may have regarding an MBA at ND...

I understand that the university, for reasons unknown, is not so popular among prospective MBA students in India though its a consistent top 20-30 in most rankings... Unlike in India, Notre Dame is quite a big name(not like the top 10) in the US... I have been at ND for 5 months now and its a great program... Particularly its Finance and Entrepreneurship programs... Not so much Consulting/Marketing... And a phenomenal Alumni network...

My intention is not to sell my university on this thread but to bring to prospective MBA students' notice, a good MBA program that is being ignored...

Most importantly, its a university which is very generous whn it comes to its scholarship awards...

Am back in India for my winter break... If anyone is interested to know more about the program, i'll be glad to help... If u r in B'lore, evn better!!!

Hey,

I am a first year student at the University of Notre Dame... I'm here to take any questions that one may have regarding an MBA at ND...

I understand that the university, for reasons unknown, is not so popular among prospective MBA students in India though its a consistent top 25-30 in most rankings... Unlike in India, Notre Dame is quite a big name(not like the top 10) in the US... I have been at ND for 5 months now and its a great program... Particularly its Finance and Entrepreneurship programs... Not so much Consulting/Marketing... And a phenomenal Alumni network...

My intention is not to sell my university on this thread but to bring to prospective MBA students' notice, a good MBA program that is being ignored...

Most importantly, its a university which is very generous whn it comes to its scholarship awards...

Am back in India for my winter break... If anyone is interested to know more about the program, i'll be glad to help... If u r in B'lore, evn better!!!

Let me be the first one to thank you for such a nice initiative...could u please let me know ur profile and how much schol u got...?

Hi

Nice Initiative Dude.... I guess we needed this badly... Any particular reasons that despite ranking consistenly good, it still fails to create an image amidst prospective students...

I mean there can be no smoke without the fire...

Cheers
Sumit

My profile:
GMAT 710
WE: 2 yrs family business ( Hotel, gold trading, manufacturing and film production)

I cant reveal my fellowship amt as I have signed an honor code but I can tell you tht most students in my batch have got between 30 - 75%...

And Sumit,
I personally have thought bout this and felt it could be cos of a couple of reasons:-

1. In India, more thn 75% of the students who pursue a Master's degree are MS/ME candidates... Hence visibility of those engineering colleges/universities is very high in India... And ND has a weak MS program... How else can u explain ppl having heard of Penn State whn its nowhr close to ND in any of the rankings... ND is higher thn Ohio State, Maryland, Minnesota, Boston, UIUC etc. in most rankings but ppl have heard of these but not ND
  2. Its a private catholic school... and the school emphasizes its catholic nature everywhr... so many ppl are concerned with the religion aspect... I have had prospective students expressing their concerns about the catholic nature of the school and how this could affect thm during their stay thr... it makes ABS no difference to us... we have catholic institutes in India too
Hey,

Hey DWD...
Thanks for the initiative...

I applied ND R1 and have been placed on waitlist... :neutral:

Talked to Brian Lohr on improving the profile and stuff, but the response was very lukewarm... The only reason he had for keeping me on waitlist was that they are experiencing an enormous increase in the number of applications!!

I had an Application Fee waiver from ND and I was interviewed on Nov 22nd...
The interview was telephonic and it was pretty satisfactory.... After all this, a half-hearted reply from the Director himself was something I was expecting the least... :satisfie:

Some way you could guide me on 'improving the profile' or the stats as far as waitlisted candidates go??

The other doubt I have is does ND reject applications straight away at all? I know 6 people who had applied to ND, with GMAT scores in range of 620 to 740 (with 2+ years of experience) and all of them have been placed on waitlist... ??:

No rejects - actually lessen the importance of being on waitlist.. :neutral:

Rightzzz

Could you please tell How you managed the application few waiver?

Hey Righty,

Most Indians I know have been placed on a waitlist... In fact, I know of only one Indian admit... From wat I have heard, ND has witnessed close to a 40% increase in applications... So I am guessing they are trying to buy time by putting students on a waitlist...

Brian is a gr8 guy and am a little surprised tht he didnt convincingly answer your question... On improving profile, u could communicate your serious interest at ND if its ur first choice... If u have forgotten to add a few community service certificates, u could send those... Remeber, ND places a lot of emphasis on students' contribution to community....

I agree its frustrating to be on the waitlist... a number of good candidates are on the waitlist... Hence, I am more or less certain its a time buying tactic... It does not at this stage mean tht you are not good enuf... wait until a few of u start hearing bout the status of ur waitlist...

Lemme know if u need nething else...

Hey,

Hey DWD...
Thanks for the initiative...

I applied ND R1 and have been placed on waitlist... :neutral:

Talked to Brian Lohr on improving the profile and stuff, but the response was very lukewarm... The only reason he had for keeping me on waitlist was that they are experiencing an enormous increase in the number of applications!!

The interview was telephonic and it was pretty satisfactory.... After all this, a half-hearted reply from the Director himself was something I was expecting the least... :satisfie:

Some way you could guide me on 'improving the profile' or the stats as far as waitlisted candidates go??

The other doubt I have is does ND reject applications straight away at all? I know 6 people who had applied to ND, with GMAT scores in range of 620 to 740 (with 2+ years of experience) and all of them have been placed on waitlist... ??:

No rejects - actually lessen the importance of being on waitlist.. :neutral:

Rightzzz
Hey Righty,

Most Indians I know have been placed on a waitlist... In fact, I know of only one Indian admit... From wat I have heard, ND has witnessed close to a 40% increase in applications... So I am guessing they are trying to buy time by putting students on a waitlist...

Brian is a gr8 guy and am a little surprised tht he didnt convincingly answer your question... On improving profile, u could communicate your serious interest at ND if its ur first choice... If u have forgotten to add a few community service certificates, u could send those... Remeber, ND places a lot of emphasis on students' contribution to community....

I agree its frustrating to be on the waitlist... a number of good candidates are on the waitlist... Hence, I am more or less certain its a time buying tactic... It does not at this stage mean tht you are not good enuf... wait until a few of u start hearing bout the status of ur waitlist...

Lemme know if u need nething else...

Thankx DWD for the Info....
Notre Dame is certinaly one of my priority schools and so let me check what all can I do while staying on the waitlist....

Lets hope to hear from the Adcom ASAP....

Rightzzz

ND may be good school. But its location is not v good in terms of placement. Thats may b one of the reasons why it ranks below than Maryland, Ohio n other top 25 colleges.
Can you tell me how many indians have been placed on waitlist till now.

ND may be good school. But its location is not v good in terms of placement. Thats may b one of the reasons why it ranks below than Maryland, Ohio n other top 25 colleges.
Can you tell me how many indians have been placed on waitlist till now.

From the seven i know, six have been placed on waitlist... ??:

Hi Date with Destiny
How are you. Thanks a lot for your post. Well I am admitted to ND for full time MBA starting 2007. I may have a few questions for you..
DO drop a line

Hi guys,

I have got an admit from ND for MBA starting 2007. Have managed to get schol as well.

DWD, it really is a great initiative by you. It would really help if you could let us know how good univ's career services are. Businessweek says that the career services are not as good as that of other univs. However, it also mentions that ND manages to get 100% placement record.

Hi bBhataia,
You can write me a PM. Yes a great Initiative from DWD.

ND Confirmed Admits:
A new group has been created in insideND for MBA Admits 2007. If you have got your netID and password, please login and click on the Group icon at the top right and then you need to join the group MBA admits 2007. which is under student>MCOB
MCOB stands for Mendoza college of Business.

All,
Friends, yes I am planning to join and I have also taken the offer. A few things to clarify after my immense research and networking. DWD pls confirm if I am wrong.

Pros
1> Notre Dame is a great School and it remains unnoticed to many applicants because it had a poor "marketing" (marketing of the B school)
2> It has a hell lot of recruiting companies
3>It is not a very big class so you can get a lot of focus
4> It REALLY helps with scholarship
5> It is in a place in the US where cost of living is less

Cons
1> It has a high Finance focus. I had a inclination on Strategy and Operations, but now I am feeing that I should also give my courses a Finance flavour
2>Yes, you have to take a lot of initiative to get a job (if you are international student, then for the H1 sponsorship), but these figures dont say much. Say some school says placement record of 93% doesnot mean you are getting a job. It can be unlucky enough to be in the remaining 7%. SO it is all up to you

Thanks & regards
Target

Hi bBhataia,
You can write me a PM. Yes a great Initiative from DWD.

ND Confirmed Admits:
A new group has been created in insideND for MBA Admits 2007. If you have got your netID and password, please login and click on the Group icon at the top right and then you need to join the group MBA admits 2007. which is under student>MCOB
MCOB stands for Mendoza college of Business.

All,
Friends, yes I am planning to join and I have also taken the offer. A few things to clarify after my immense research and networking. DWD pls confirm if I am wrong.

Pros
1> Notre Dame is a great School and it remains unnoticed to many applicants because it had a poor "marketing" (marketing of the B school)
2> It has a hell lot of recruiting companies
3>It is not a very big class so you can get a lot of focus
4> It REALLY helps with scholarship
5> It is in a place in the US where cost of living is less

Cons
1> It has a high Finance focus. I had a inclination on Strategy and Operations, but now I am feeing that I should also give my courses a Finance flavour
2>Yes, you have to take a lot of initiative to get a job (if you are international student, then for the H1 sponsorship), but these figures dont say much. Say some school says placement record of 93% doesnot mean you are getting a job. It can be unlucky enough to be in the remaining 7%. SO it is all up to you

Thanks & regards
Target

I think you've got it spot on Andy...
  1. I have already conveyed my disappointment at Notre Dame's non-participation in the World MBA tours conducted in India...
  2. It has a lot of companies coming on campus this year. 60% of them ask for US students only. But thn with a little initiative internationals can get those jobs too.
  3. Its a class of about 120 divided into 2 sections... as the semesters go on, the number of students per class reduces...
  4. A number of ppl get schols... This is one fact very very very few people know in India... Ppl should capitalize... The ROI is fantastic for a top 25 school
  5. The midwest is one of the cheapest places to live in the USA... I would say apart from your tuition and rent, your expenses(food and personal) on a moderate lifestyle, should not cross $200-250/month... Assuming here that you cook at home and dnt eat out regularly...
And Bhatia,
you must remember that most jobs thr are got thru networking... The career development, as I've heard from my seniors, was poor. the school has partially revamped the dept, bringing in a few good people. Few people who expect a lot from the career services are still disappointed but I am quite satisfied with their initiatives.
the 100% can be a little misleading... It leaves out a few numbers... But most ppl do get placed... Internationals, if they are willing to sponsor their own visas, generally dnt have a problem... Else they do... But thats the scene with international students all over the USA...
Hi guys,
I have got an admission offer from Notre Dame MBA with a scholarship of 50K spread over two years and have accepted this offer.
hey datewithdestiny,
Could you pls tell us about on-campus working options? Firstly, whether it is possible to work on-campus while doing MBA and if yes then what fraction of monthly expenses can we cover by doing a job. It would really help us get an idea about approximate expenses for two years.

Hi Bbhatia,
Welcome and congrats for being admitted.
I have enquired about oncampus employment. They are good, but paid @7$ an hour and so far as i have got info, your schedule in the program will be too tight to do a job that will pay this amount.

sorry forgot to mention about yearly expenses. It is estimated as 49K (including 6% inflation) for a single student

Target

Hey Bhatia,

Firstly, Congrats on your admit...
There are TA opportunities available here but as Andy mentions they pay bout $7.65/hr which is very low compared with other universities' pay. Most jobs on campus pay around the same amt. u can earn about $75 a week on a 10hr week but its highly unadvisable considering your hectic schedule. U spend the same 10 hrs on networking and career development and you could get a job that probably pays u a few thousands more.

Assuming yur monthly expenses are $800-$1000/month apart from tuition, thn you cover less than 40% of your expenses.
Hope tht helps.

- DWD

Hi guys,
I have got an admission offer from Notre Dame MBA with a scholarship of 50K spread over two years and have accepted this offer.
hey datewithdestiny,
Could you pls tell us about on-campus working options? Firstly, whether it is possible to work on-campus while doing MBA and if yes then what fraction of monthly expenses can we cover by doing a job. It would really help us get an idea about approximate expenses for two years.

Hey DWD.

Thanks for the initiative on ND. Cud you tell me a bit about the 1 year program ?? Whats the acceptance of the program in the market, especially for int students.

Cheers