University of Maryland-Smith-2008-Interviews and Beyond

Hello PGs,As the thread title suggests, lets gets this thread rolling for SMITH, 2008 interviews and beyond.Lemme start with my details:4WE by 2008, IT consulting, international exppart time Entrepreneur since the last two years.710/6/110, 8.4 GPA…

Hello PGs,As the thread title suggests, lets gets this thread rolling for SMITH, 2008 interviews and beyond.Lemme start with my details:4WE by 2008, IT consulting, international exppart time Entrepreneur since the last two years.710/6/110, 8.4 GPA with a top 5 skool in India.Loads of extra curriculars at work and uni.All India festival-Leadership, Engineering-84%Pre-university-95%I completed my app for SMITH on NOV1, without a TOEFL score.The SMITH team insisted on a TOEFL score.Took TOEFL, app went complete y'day and an interview invite today.I have scheduled my interview for 20th of this month.Any PGs who have finished their interviews, kindly post your experiences.and people who are in the process of completing ur app, please shoot ur questions/queries.I will try to do my best!Happy Diwali!!!venom!

Hey venom. I will be applying to smith. Have done my master's in telecomm from UMD, so no toefl reqd. Work ex. 3 yrs in cement machinery. Gmat 700. In case I get an interview call will need your help. Which field are to applying for?

sure, anytimeas i understand u did ur masters from UMCP.It shuld be pretty easy for u to get in!so where u working now?I want to major in consulting and UMCP is gud in consulting.I spoke to a couple of Alums and they had nice things to say abt SMITHand that its an upcoming skool

Working in Sanghavi Engineering, Hyderabad. Its a FMB(Family Managed Business). You are right about RH Smith being a good school and part of an excellent university UMD. Its proximity to Washington DC and Virginia works wonders especially when job hunting or just going out on weekends. Where are you working? Which other schools are you applying to?

Hi PGs,
I too got an interview call from Smith, have registered for 27th of this month. My profile 710/5/111. Will have 4 yrs of work ex by 2008. How is everybody planning to prepare for interviews? Also I came to know that the college folks didn't grant many schols last year. Anybody got any clues what might have been the reason, are they going to be more liberal this year??

Venom8219, ur profile looks really impressive!!

Hi,

I got intervew on 19th. How is everyone preparing? I have 3.2 yrs exp. 22 mnths international exp. IT. 700/117. Does anyone know what is the acceptance rate after interview?

Hi Sukonya,
BOL for your interview!
I hope u must have already prepared for questions like why MBA? why, whichever specialization u want to pursue? and why from smith? these are the most common questions
Do keep us posted about what happened in the interview....

sure shankey.. any idea about the acceptance rate?

I see already 3 indians have got call (you, me, venom)

yup rite!
one of my friends too has got a call...
acceptance rate for Fall 2006 batch was almost 40% according to USNews.. and it will keep decreasing every year i suppose....

That acceptance rate is for total aaplicants right? I suppose they shortlist candidates before sending interview invitations. So acceptance rate after inteview might be higher

Hi,

I got intervew on 19th. How is everyone preparing? I have 3.2 yrs exp. 22 mnths international exp. IT. 700/117. Does anyone know what is the acceptance rate after interview?

Hey Sukonya. Was wondering how your interview was? What questions asked? Any information that you would like to share?
venom8219 Says
Hello PGs,As the thread title suggests, lets gets this thread rolling for SMITH, 2008 interviews and beyond.Lemme start with my details:4WE by 2008, IT consulting, international exppart time Entrepreneur since the last two years.680/6/110, 8.2 GPA with a top 5 skool in India.Loads of extra curriculars at work and uni.All India festival-Leadership, Engineering-82%Pre-university-95%I completed my app for SMITH on NOV1, without a TOEFL score.The SMITH team insisted on a TOEFL score.Took TOEFL, app went complete y'day and an interview invite today.I have scheduled my interview for 20th of this month.Any PGs who have finished their interviews, kindly post your experiences.and people who are in the process of completing ur app, please shoot ur questions/queries.I will try to do my best!Happy Diwali!!!venom!

Dear PGs:
I will do the interview on 26th, could you please share your interview question here?
Thanks so much! Best wishes for your applications!~

Is there any tough journal business questions here?
I know yesterday here has an starbuck question. How about his year?

Hello PGs,
I am so sorry for the delay in posting my interview experience. Some personal stuff has kept me busy.:). Anyways, i had my interview last week with a Adcom member from the Exec MBA.(i applied to the normal MBA). Unfortunately, i couldn't place her name, she told me her name twice, but i still couldnt catch that!

The interviewer told me in the beginning that she has 15 questions and 35 minutes, but we ended up with 59 minutes, to be precise.The following are the questions, i remember(not in the sequence). I would say it was more of a conversation, during which she told me a lot abour her experience at SMITH.

-------Why MBA and why now
-------Long term goals. She grolled me a lot on this.
-------Why SMITH?
-------Your biggest achievement as a leader?
-------Your biggest challenge?
-------What is your leadership style and an example
-------What diversity do your bring to SMITH
-------How do you take feedbacks on poor performance and an example
-------Tell me about an ethical dilemma and how did you handle it
-------How do you evaluate projects, and appraise your team(this is related to my job)
-------What does success mean to you and cite me an example.
-------What kind of books do you read? Fortunately, i was reading the same book as she was! What a coincidence:). So, i had an opportunity to go into the details on this.
-------how did you contribute to the society and how long?

I feel she asked all possible interview questions under the sun!:).and she had nothing else to ask!:)
Even, i had my share of questions to her. I went about asking the usual questions about courses and all. Although, i didnt want to touch the delicate topic of funding, i took the chance. She said, there were a lot of opportunities and gave me some links to explore more opportunities. The icing on the cake was when she said "that i need not worry about my GMAT score( i have a GMAT-680) , as i had an optional essay on this:). She went on to say that this is were interviews fill in the gap and address any open issues. I hope she really meant what she said and hope i get through.

Please do let me know if you have any queries, i would be more than happy to help u alll:)

cheers
V

GMAT-650(qa-50,vA-27)
my profile is
10:77%
12:80.2%
btech(ece): 81.3%

working as embedded software engineer in Lnt Infotech.. will complete two yrs by aug 2008...what are my chances..shd i apply..please tell

Hey Venom,
that must have been one draining experience!!!
Well i just had my interview and it was with the Associate director of admissions(Masters programme). Initially i was a little wary and nervous but she seemed to be very informal and that went a long way in cooling my nerves. She didn't ask me ne of the above(mentoned by venom) questions and wanted me to talk about my trekking experiences (i had mentioned it as an extra curicular in my resume)!!!
Only relevant question was to "talk about the proudest moment of my professional life". The interview hardly lasted for 25 minutes. Although she did mention that i was a strong candidate, I don't know what to make out of all this???

U bet it was a draining experience!

Well, much water has flown under the bridge since my interview and i heard from the

adcomm a couple of days ago. They informed me that i shall get my decision by the end

of this week. I pray it turns out to be a merry christmas.

Psangha, it was nice speaking to you other day.

PGs, please do let me know if i can be of any help as you prepare for R-2

cheers
V

Hey Venom,
that must have been one draining experience!!!
Well i just had my interview and it was with the Associate director of admissions(Masters programme). Initially i was a little wary and nervous but she seemed to be very informal and that went a long way in cooling my nerves. She didn't ask me ne of the above(mentoned by venom) questions and wanted me to talk about my trekking experiences (i had mentioned it as an extra curicular in my resume)!!!
Only relevant question was to "talk about the proudest moment of my professional life". The interview hardly lasted for 25 minutes. Although she did mention that i was a strong candidate, I don't know what to make out of all this???

Do we need to send two copies of undergraduate transcripts to Smith School. And is it required to send a resume and photocopy of Gmat and Toefl scores alongwith.

Please clarify soon because I am already late for sending transcripts.

Thanks.

Hey Hitesh,
The best thing to do is to scan ur Transcript, TOEFL, Degree certificate and the Financial document and send it to Amy. I did this and got a call for interview the next day. As far as i know they only require one copy of the Transcript. Also, you need to send the hardcopy of all these documents to the univ.

BOL for ur application.....