University of Arizona - Eller MBA - Applicants for Fall, 2013

Hello All, We are first year MBAs at the prestigious Eller College of Management, University of Arizona. Consider this an open forum to discuss anything related to the MBA program including the application process. We would be happy to answe…

Hello All,

We are first year MBAs at the prestigious Eller College of Management, University of Arizona. Consider this an open forum to discuss anything related to the MBA program including the application process. We would be happy to answer all pertinent questions.

Best,
Pradeep and Roshan
Class of 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the initiative. I am planning to apply to Eller in the coming round. I'm interested in product management career. So, can you tell me which product/technology companies visited Eller for the 2011 batch? In the Placement report 2011 (pdf file) available on the Eller website, there are many companies mentioned; I would like to know if all of them visited in 2011 or its a list companies that have visited Eller over the years. If you have a similar report for 2012, please let me know.

Hi Praddep & Roshan,

I'm planning to apply to Eller in the 2nd round.
I'm keen on choosing Management Information Systems(MIS) as my concentration area
Could you please provide insights on how the course & faculty are??
Also any placement statistics of students choosing MIS will be really helpful.

Thanks.

@Eller2014
Hi I received an interview call which is to be held January first week by Paige Bausman.
Any tips on how and what to prepare.

Hi,

Even I have submitted my application & waiting for interview call.

Hi Mirza,

Please check the below link,

http://ellermba.arizona.edu/fulltime/admissions/funding.asp
Total Cost of Education for International Students: $53,748*2=107496
Actual Cost: Total Cost-Scholarship-2 month Internship salary

Actual cost will depends on how much scholarship you will get.

Ahh......I made a silly mistake

Actual Cost: Total Cost-Scholarship-3 month Internship Salary
Hi

GMAT : 630
Work ex : 4 years by june 2013
Extra C : associated with NGO : Shape India
Star performer of the month at work place
Active particiption in college fest
Captain of TCS Noida cricket team,,,etc....

What are my chances

Hi Again, your profile is good for eller too, have you already applied or still thinking about applying?

I am about to apply...
just winding up with essay and lor part.....

send you transcript & attested copy of your passing certificate to them ASAP, they won't take your interview without it.

Sorry guys for the delay. I was in China for 10 days as part of the international trip and out of town until a few days back. This is our winter break right now and most of us are travelling. I'm gonna rapid fire answer all your queries one by one (all opinions mentioned below are solely personally and have nothing to do with Eller College of Management or The University of Arizona):

Kaliank: Eller is known for MIS, we're one of the country's best when it comes to MIS. Unfortunately, the placement in general for Eller is not fantastic and when it comes to internationals, its even harder as 9 out of 10 companies have a policy that does not allow them to hire international students. However, with networking and own effort, you can get a job in MIS which is easier than looking for a marketing or finance job for we Indians. This placement scenario is the same everywhere in colleges outside say top 30 in the US.

Amandeep: It's gonna be a casual conversation with Paige Bausman. I do not know her personally but she cannot be spiteful. She has taken the place of ex-director of admissions Jeff Hunter who is a very cool funny guy. Be well groomed (at least the part that's exposed on Skype!), speak with confidence, and expect the usual why-MBA, why-us, why-now questions. Its gonna last about 45 minutes, could be less, could be more. Don't fret if the interview lasted only 30 mins - it just all depends on how much you want to speak outside of your app. Secondly, be ready for some questions such as what news interested you recently, what other colleges did you apply to, would you pick Katz over Eller if given admits by both. Lastly, ask a couple good questions and wrap it up with a smile. Good luck to all participants.

Mirza: It would be well over $100,000 for tuition alone. That is why we are all dependent on scholarships. Very often this is the deciding factor as was in my case when I had to chose between two. Most schools place too much emphasis on the GMAT score to determine the scholarship. Now, this could be good or bad depending on YOUR GMAT. Typically in Eller, a 650 will fetch u roughly 50% scholarship. This scholarship includes a GA where you earn around $560/month. This may be just about enough for your living expenses if you choose to be very frugal. The amount you earn at internship can be counted with confidence to a certain extent and can be mentally deducted from your overall 2 year expense. However, note that it could be as varied as $10/month (SunQuest) or ~$30/month (Deloitte). Just to play safe, I wouldn't financially prepare myself based on my summer wages; it's just too risky. Let me know if anybody has more questions.

Ashutosh: I'm afraid I would have to give you the standard response even an MBA admissions director would provide: fill up the app and send it across. That's all I can say, honestly, and here's why - the admissions team is looking for a convincing story that is weaved through your entire application: essays, LORs, interview, other info. They read the whole 'YOU' through all of this which would take them a couple hours at the very least. Heck, even the interview takes 45 mins Respectfully, hence, when you throw out 630, 4 years, active participation, there's no way anyone can predict what your story is out of this miniscule piece about your life, and therefore what your chances of admission to the Eller MBA program are. I wish you good luck in the application process and hope that you make it through. Shoot more queries if required.

Have a wonderful rest of the day.

Roshan
@Eller2014 Hi Roshan, Could share the placement statistics of International students for 2012 batch?
v2ks,

Unfortunately, the latest stats is on class of 2011. On the following webpage, interested may let Eller know what information you need:

@Eller2014 Hi Roshan, I will post my question on the webpage. Just want to know whether international students final succeed in getting placed.
@Eller2014
Glad to find this place to write to someone from ELLER.
I was wondering how good is Eller for Entrepreneurship. I'm looking for a program that can hone my leadership and entrepreneur skills. I'm keen on returning back to India to take up my Family Business. By US news report rankings, Eller looks promising in Entrepreneurship. Would you suggest me to apply?
@Eller2014
Glad to find this place to write to someone from ELLER.
I was wondering how good is Eller for Entrepreneurship. I'm looking for a program that can hone my leadership and entrepreneur skills. I'm keen on returning back to India to take up my Family Business. By US news report rankings, Eller looks promising in Entrepreneurship. Would you suggest me to apply?

Yes Vivek, internationals do end up with good jobs. However, it does require additional effort vis-a-vis what locals are required to put in. Like I said, with networking and own effort, we can make it. Companies such as Accenture, IBM, even TCS in the US that are all IT powerhouses in India DO NOT recruit internationals!

Pavan, there are a few of us who do exactly as you mentioned. There is someone I know in class of 2013 (entered 2011) who plans on returning to India to take care of family business. There may be a classmate of mine harboring such thoughts...I do not know yet; still early days. Eller is known for two things - entrepreneurship and MIS. I would recommend that you apply to Eller MBA and while doing so, highlight that you run a business in your application so that you stand out. Good luck.

Keep those questions rolling in guys. I have a few more days before I get caught in the web of academics.

Roshan