UIUC-Illinois MBA 2011

Hi All, Didn’t see any thread for illinois MBA so thought of starting one. Puys start posting your interview calls as and when you receive them for R1(Dec 5 2010)

Hi All,

Didn't see any thread for illinois MBA so thought of starting one.
Puys start posting your interview calls as and when you receive them for R1(Dec 5 2010)

Hi All,

I have applied in R1. Waiting for the interview call .

Even I have applied in R1. Waiting for reply

Hi Fellow UIUC mates,

My first post on PG :grin:.
Even I applied in R1. But I am yet to take my IELTS, which is on 16th December. Is the adcomm hell-bent on English proficiency tests before reviewing the profile, any idea?

Perhaps we can kick off our discussions and doubts by sharing our respective profiles in brief. Here is mine

700/5.5
Work Ex : 5+ years across Consulting, Derivatives trading and IT
(yeah, was not just changing jobs but industries :biggrin: )
Acads : average from a prestigious institution
Decent extra curriculars

applied to uiuc.. no reply yet from them

profile:
110(TOEFL)
5 yrs in IT by fall 2011.

To subscribe

Any interview calls yet for R1 applicants ?

I will have mine either on 29th or 30th of this month. Brian, the admissions director is visiting ISB with his students and would also conduct some interviews, during his stay. Just received the mail few hours back.

F2F interview is any day better than telephonic. Any one else who got the calls?

Even I have applied for R1.. Waiting for ne news from their side.. I have recieved absolutely no coomunication from them after I submitted my app in R1.

mbagirl2011 Says
Even I have applied for R1.. Waiting for ne news from their side.. I have recieved absolutely no coomunication from them after I submitted my app in R1.

hi mbagirl,

nothing to worry about, nobody, except Madhu, has recieved any communication yet. i guess they would be arranging interviews after festival holidays...

merry Christmas to you and to all Puys here..
I will have mine either on 29th or 30th of this month. Brian, the admissions director is visiting ISB with his students and would also conduct some interviews, during his stay. Just received the mail few hours back.

F2F interview is any day better than telephonic. Any one else who got the calls?

congrats Madhu. probably You are the first one here to have received an invite.
Your profile seems great..
best of luck for ur interview...pls share the experience one you have it done

Thank You In4MBA.
I am guessing that proximity is factor for me getting an interview call rather than anything else?
Are none of you guys from Hyderabad?

Merry Christmas to fellow Puys and I shall update my experience asap after 29th

Had my interview with Brian on dec30.. most of them were general questions and a case question..checking logical thinking capabilities..

My profile:
700(49,35,5.0)
5yrs in IT(1 YR IT services, 4 Yrs it-PRODUCTS)
Acads decents.
extracurricular decent

Got interview invite from UIUC yesterday. Ill be opting for face to face i/v on campus. Puys who have already had their i/v, could you please share your questions?

Can you please share the interview questions ?

I am extremely sorry IIMblacki07 and gvc84, for not having posted my interview experience for such a long time. Was on a short vacation.

I had mine with Brian on 29th December. Brian is an extremely polite person and a patient listener. He started off by saying few things about UIUC MBA and then later told about what info he seeks from each candidate(the same, why MBA, why UIUC, Goals and more dope on your career progression). So I spoke for 45 minutes, uninterrupted about these 4 aspects of the application and there were not many counter-questions, during the course of my monologue.
Later, he asked very generic case and I was a tad puzzled by the vagueness of the case and probed him for some specific information before, i can analyze and suggest any recommendations. Don't worry, it's simple stuff and there is no right/wrong answer. Just the thought process is what matters the most
The entire interview lasted for around 70 odd minutes and all I can say is its not formulaic. It can revolve around multitude of topics, depending on your experience. So try to enjoy the conversation and you will do well.
BTW, gvc04 or anyone else has received the final admission decision?

I am extremely sorry IIMblacki07 and gvc84, for not having posted my interview experience for such a long time. Was on a short vacation.

I had mine with Brian on 29th December. Brian is an extremely polite person and a patient listener. He started off by saying few things about UIUC MBA and then later told about what info he seeks from each candidate(the same, why MBA, why UIUC, Goals and more dope on your career progression). So I spoke for 45 minutes, uninterrupted about these 4 aspects of the application and there were not many counter-questions, during the course of my monologue.
Later, he asked very generic case and I was a tad puzzled by the vagueness of the case and probed him for some specific information before, i can analyze and suggest any recommendations. Don't worry, it's simple stuff and there is no right/wrong answer. Just the thought process is what matters the most
The entire interview lasted for around 70 odd minutes and all I can say is its not formulaic. It can revolve around multitude of topics, depending on your experience. So try to enjoy the conversation and you will do well.
BTW, gvc04 or anyone else has received the final admission decision?

Thanks a lot for the questions.Could you also elaborate on the case question asked to u? This seems to be different from other school's i/v

The question was something like:
There is an industry which has five major players and the growth rate of the industry is almost saturated. There are two of these five companies which are interested to merge. Would you go ahead with the alliance and if so, what are the factors that need to be considered before arriving at a final decision?

As I said before, there is no black and white answer for this and can be purely subjective, cuz the number of factors that need to be taken in to consideration are vast.

Hope this helps. Just have a glance at some basic case studies and guesstimates. That should set the ball rolling:-)

Hi ,

I had my skype interview yesterday - the questions were pretty much the usual -
why illinois?
why mba?
goals
why do u think u ll be successful in career?
teamwork experiences

apart from all this I was asked the following case question -

If a medium sized co is planning to launch a smartfone to replace the largest selling smartfone, what are the factors it should look into.
They just want to see ur reasoning abilities, there is no right or wrong.

Hope this helps!