UCIrvine

Hi Friends!!! Has anyone applied to UCIrvine… Has anyone gone through an interview with them. If yes, please do share some insights. Thanks

Hi Friends!!!

Has anyone applied to UCIrvine.. Has anyone gone through an interview with them. If yes, please do share some insights.

Thanks

Hi,

I have got through UC Irvine with a $50000 scholarship. I applied for the second round.

My profile

BE GMAT 730

5 years experience in Education

I found the UC Irvine admissions process the most friendly and flexible among all schools I applied to. My interview was during the MBA Tour in Mumbai. I had the interview in the booth before the fair.

It revolved more around my work experience and standard why MBA, why Now and Why UC Irvine.

It was some time back and will post specific questions when I remember it.

Kunal

Thanks Kunal for sharing this info..

Hi all...

I too got an admit from UC irvine, Paul Merage School of Business,..25000$ fellowship!!:-o

My Brief profile:

GMAT: 720
Undergrad: B.E. Delhi University

I had my interview a couple of weeks back with Mary Clark, the admissions Director..
The network wasnt that good and I could barely hear what she said...but we managed somehow..
The interview was good overall...the admissions director was very friendly and it was more of a discussion. Be prepared for a lot of questions .
the interview lasted around 40-45 minutes...it was quite friendly..
;)

Paul Merage School of Bussines has some advantages like:
--The reputed University of California System.....whopping $20 billion annual budget for UC every year..
--ALL the faculty members are Phd.s from Places like Stanford, UCLA, Hass,Harvard, CMU, Yale, MIT, Kellog, Wharton....there are no exceptions!:shock: Some of the faculty also takes classes at Hass and Andersen..
--The OC..California!!!A lot of room for networking...
--..100% of Indian students found jobs last year in Companies like ...PWC, Google, Yahoo, Walt Disney, Fox Entertainment, KPMG, Delloitte and Touche recruit at UCI....They have Bplan competition and that VC thing going....
--Irvine's a real good place to live( Rated the #1 safest place and the #4 best place to live in America)--..the weather is awesome...VDC hostels have been rated as best campus housing system in USA...they more like the 5 star resorts...a lot of outdoor activities around the year because of good weather...at places like Boston, Arizona, texas, Minnesota, the extreme climate won't let you go out too much..
Vista Del Hostels:
Vista del Campo

Disadvantages:
--It is not Stanford, or a kellog!
--Costly, but the fact that Univ of California gives full loan without a cosigner or credit history...but at higher rates than if you had a cosigner...TAs/RAs are available as well...the cost still remains a factor...but the quality of life would be really really great!
--It being a public university, UC does not market itself too aggressively...hence, it's under rated most of the times...But still, it's ranked #4 in its IT specialization in US and no.1 in Southern Cali...With a 670+ avg GMAT and 4.5+ avg work ex for the class of 2009, it's quite selective.....and avg. GMAT has been 670+ consistently...it was 680+ in 2002...and 680 in 2005...
From what I know the Average GMAT was 680 for the class entering 2008 with 720 for Indian students.

---

Hi,Thanks a lot for this information.I hope I get thru my interview for Irvine which is tonight at 11:30 pm ;)Will update with my questions tomorrow.

who took your interview?

I received an application fee waiver from UC Irvine... but the school rankings r not very impressive...
ne thoughts on how good the school is for consulting / marketing majors?

Hi guys,
GMAT : 740,5.5
Work exp: 4 years(2 years international)
Undergrad: B.Tech, IIT K
Admits: Rotman, Olin, Vanderbilt, UC Irvine, Boston univ(full aid)
Waiting for: UCLA, Ross
I have visited all the schools(apart from Rotman). Rankings matter only if you are going to top 10 -15 schools, beyond that it all boils down to your own preferences, location, and a host of other things. You just need to do all the research.
UCI is known to give app fee waivers, I too got one
California is my dream destination+ I have spoken to a few of my future classmates. They have guys from IITs, BITS Pilani, dce, nsit, Stanford, MIT, Caltech in the class entering 2008. There is a lot of diversity as well. A small class size. That hurts the rankings sometimes, but you are not lost in the crowd atleast.
Its really good for consulting. Firms like Delloitte regular recruiters. Ranked high in IT. Marketing: I am not that sure as I am not interested in marketing. 25% of the class got jobs in marketing.
I have made up my mind for UCI. I am dreaming of Californication already.
Firms recruting in 2007 at Paul Merage. This might give you an idea about various job functions:

Allergan
American Express - Ameriprise
Amgen
Applied Biosystems
Applied Medical
AT&T;
BCBG
BCC Capital
Beckman Coulter
Belkin
Cayman Islands Stock Exchange
CBH Consulting
Colliers
Conexant
Corona Clippers
Deloitte & Touche
Deloitte Consulting
Diva Corporation
Duff & Phelps
E&J; Gallo
E.Com Enterprises
East West Bank
Education Pioneers
Edwards LifeSciences
Ernst & Young
Experian
Falken Tire
Farmer's Insurance
Fox Interactive Media
Franklin Templeton
Gartner Consulting
General Electric
Golden State Foods
Google
Goose Island Brewery
Grossberg Company
GSI Commerce
Harbor Products
Hewlett Packard
HireRight
IBM
IMS
Ingram Micro
Integrien
Intel
Interlock Coalition
Johnson & Johnson
Kelley Blue Book
KPMG
Mercer
Mervyn's
Milestone Insurance
Motorola Biometrics
Nationwide Insurance
Nationwide Health Properties
NC Kappeler LLC
New York Life
Newegg
Niagara Water
OPI International
Orange County Auto Dealers Assoc.
Orange County Fliers
Pacific Life
Patpatia & Associates
Pioneer Electronics
PricewaterhouseCoopers
Qualcomm
RA, Inc.
Rhino Entertainment
SAP Americas
Solectron
Taco Bell
THQ
Trianz Consulting
U.S. Airways
University of California, Irvine
USGI Medical
Valeant
Verizon Wireless
Visa
Walt Disney Company
Wells Fargo
Yahoo!

Check this out as well: UC International Business Consortium

Hi Guys,

I am too UCI aspirant but I have applied in feb mid. Do you think its too laqte for getting admits n scholarships?
My profile is 710
6 yrs IT exp

I have interview scheduled for 14th march.
has neone got interviewd by Christine Hoyt?

Kunal_guha, u have fetched a good a scholarship. Congrats
When did you apply to UCI?
How much time do they take to get back after interview?

Hi,

I applied in Round 2 but had finished my interview much earlier.

I actually completed my interview during the World MBA Tour in India in December. I was really surprised to get the scholarship.

I have been admitted to Cambridge, Cranfield and UC Irvine and am currently in the process of deciding between Cambridge and Irvine. I did speak to a few current students the positives of Irive are-

Innovative curriculum
Brand value in California
All international students last year had job offers
Possibility of getting a Teaching Assistantship- Not many colleges have this.

Kunal

To anybody who has been admitted...

How long does the admission committee take to get back to us with the decision result?

Ive done my interview last Fri...

Hi,

I also had my interview last Friday, and got a call for Admission today

I have been offered a $25000 Faculty Fellowship.

Profile:
700 GMAT, 5.5
B.tech in Chemical Technology.
2.5 years exp in IT.
Excellent acads,
Decent extra curriculars and commmunity work.
Good professional profile, have experience as a module leader.

I saw the estimated expenses on the Paul Merage website. The expenses have been shown as approx $60,000.

If anyone here who has talked to UCI students/alumni, can you provide some information about the approximate costs for the Full program (both years combined)? Is it the same as the projected expenses on th website or on the higher side?

I was interviewed By Mary Clark,

and I thought my interview was hnot that good and smooth. But I got through 😃

Hi Naina,

I was interviewed by Mary and not by Christine, but i have one piece of advice. Be ready for a "stress interview" . I had one. There were times during the interview when the interviewer told me repeatedly, she was not getting what I was trying to say (not because of network but because of logic :(), that really put me into confusion and I started feeling nervous but I thought it better to repeat my point again and again with some clarification, NEVER budging from my stand on the topic.

Hi,

I also had my interview last Friday, and got a call for Admission today

I have been offered a $25000 Faculty Fellowship.

Profile:
700 GMAT, 5.5
B.tech in Chemical Technology.
2.5 years exp in IT.
Excellent acads,
Decent extra curriculars and commmunity work.
Good professional profile, have experience as a module leader.

I saw the estimated expenses on the Paul Merage website. The expenses have been shown as approx $60,000.

If anyone here who has talked to UCI students/alumni, can you provide some information about the approximate costs for the Full program (both years combined)? Is it the same as the projected expenses on th website or on the higher side?

Hello buddy,

Many congratulations on your admit. It was really good to hear that you got a decent fellowship too. I too had my interview 2 days back and am presently waiting on my decision...hoping for a good fellowship too...!!!

Any deadline that UCI has given to confirm???
Hi all...

I too got an admit from UC irvine, Paul Merage School of Business,..25000$ fellowship!!:-o

I had my interview a couple of weeks back with Mary Clark, the admissions Director..
The network wasnt that good and I could barely hear what she said...but we managed..
The interview was good overall...Questions :
1)About my undergrad school--She seemed to know about it
2)About the company I work for-Competitors-difference between my company and the competitors.
3) If I were the CEO of my company what would I do..and how would it be different from competitors...
4)My long term goal..short term goal
5) When do I plan to start working for my long term goal..
6)If admitted...what apart from successfully completing my MBA would I like to do on the campus...
7)uniquness..
It rained questions basically...

And a few more questions..the interview lasted around 40-45 minutes...it was quite friendly..
At the end she told me that due to the network problems we were not able to communicate that well, but when we meet on campus we'd surely have a good convo;)

Paul Merage School of Bussines has some advantages like:
--The reputed University of California System
--You have the choice of taking your electives at UC Davis, UCLA and UC Berkley-Hass...but ofcourse..only the electives that are not available at Irvine..
--ALL the faculty members are Phd.s from Places like Stanford, UCLA, Hass,Harvard, CMU, Yale, MIT, Kellog, Wharton....there are no exceptions!:shock:
--The OC..California!!!A lot of room for networking...
--..the average sal was 100,000$+ last year..last year only 3 students were left unplaced(domestic students...) and 100% of Indian students found jobs.. Companies like ...PWC, Google, Yahoo, Walt Disney, Fox Entertainment, KPMG, Delloitte and Touche
--Its a real good place to live...Among the best in USA--The hostels are in top 3 on campus housings in USA...more like the 5 star hotels...a lot of outdoor activities around the year because of good weather...at places like Boston, Arizona, Minnesota, the climate won't let you go out too much..
Vista Del Hostels:
Vista del Campo

Disadvantages:
--Costly, but the fact that Univ of California gives full loan without a cosigner or credit history...makes it a little easy...TAs are available as well...the cost still remains a factor...but the quality of life would be really really great!
--It being a public university, UC does not market itself too aggressively...hence, it's under rated most of the times...But still, it's ranked #7 in its IT specialization in US and no.1 in Southern Cali...With a 670+ avg GMAT and 4.5+ avg work ex for the class of 2009, its quite selective.....and GMAT has been 670+ for a long time consistently...it was 680+ in 2002...and 680 in 2005...
Average GMAT of 680 for the class entering 2008 with 720 Avg GMAT for Indian students.(class of 2010)

---

Hello buddy,

Congratulations on your admit and fellowship decision. Thanks for sharing the valuable insights on the Merage school. I agree that the school is pretty good and have indeed got good feedback from multiple people on the faculty and academics. Job opportunities are also pretty decent much more because of the location.

Am waiting for my admit decision. Keep everyone posted on any other updates.

Hi manmachine,

Yes, there is a deadline. I have been asked to send the Intent to Register and deposit a non-refundable amount of $1000 by April 3rd.

You may receive the decision in a week like I did. Please keep us posted.

Hi Naina,

I was interviewed by Mary and not by Christine, but i have one piece of advice. Be ready for a "stress interview" . I had one. There were times during the interview when the interviewer told me repeatedly, she was not getting what I was trying to say (not because of network but because of logic :(), that really put me into confusion and I started feeling nervous but I thought it better to repeat my point again and again with some clarification, NEVER budging from my stand on the topic.

Hi Nv...Congrats on your admit and fellowship!!
You have a great profile and the female factor would have worked for you as well!
You actually did the right things in the interview, I believe.

The costs estimated are around 100,000 US $ over the complete course.
With your fellowship award, the total tution fees would be down to around 48,000$.

Living expenses could be anything between 25,000$ to 40,000$. But that depends more on where you live and how you spend.
I would not recommend staying off campus...it could be cheap (if you share it)..as well as expensive...but you'd want to keep in touch with your classmates and also complete the assignments on time.
With the TA/RA/on campus jobs in 2nd year, you should be able to make around 12-15000$ and around 15-20,000 with your summer internship. So, that would take care of of your living expenses...you could well complete your MBA within 20 lacs...
I am not sure on this one...but the fellowship grant can actually increase in the 2nd year if you perform really well..!! There is something like a 'dean's scholar' as well.

And yes, I would suggest you to apply for the hostels as soon as possible..you would need to send in around 150+150+20= 320$ for all the 3 hostels...but this is refundable if you don't actually take up the hostels. You'll be put in waitlist at this moment...its on first come..first serve basis..and is highly competitive!!

cheers!