UBS Chandigarh exposed

Source: www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070103/cth1.htmMisinformation, UBS style Amrita DhaliwalTribune News Service Chandigarh, January 2The University Business School (UBS) of the Panjab University seems to have been providing wrong information to v…

Source: www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070103/cth1.htmMisinformation, UBS style Amrita DhaliwalTribune News Service Chandigarh, January 2The University Business School (UBS) of the Panjab University seems to have been providing wrong information to various leading magazines of the country, which rate business schools in their annual surveys. The UBS has been getting ranked among the top 20 management institutes for the past few years, a fact which has been widely publicised by the university. The glaring fact came to light when the data provided by the UBS was being fed into the records of the All-India Management Association, the apex body collecting the data on various business schools of the country and providing various magazines with the same. The data supplied was for 2004-2005. According to sources, on being fed the information, computers gave a message that it was unrealistic data. Thinking that there might be an accidental error, officials contacted Dr A.K. Sehjpal, dean, commerce and business management, Panjab University. Investigations by Dr Sehjpal led to the fact that the data being provided was wrong. He contacted the teacher concerned to revise the information. I got the information corrected and it was later decided by ex-vice-chancellor K.N. Pathak not to participate in rankings anymore after it came to light that facts were being fabricated. The UBS did not participate in the rankings for this year. The matter was kept under wraps for fear of bad publicity. This incident shocked those who learnt about it. The issue was also raised by senator Ashok Goyal, who, observing that the UBS was ranked 11th in one magazine while there was no mention of it in another, requested the university look into the matter. It was not attended to. I was surprised to see that we are not ranked in one magazine while we are ranked in another. I wrote to the vice-chancellor that we are only rated in the magazine where the data is supplied to agencies which rates them, while we are no where in the list where the magazine does it themselves. He alleged that it was brushed aside. It was only later that the shocking details were known. Students and parents all over the country largely depend on such data provided by magazines. Companies also depend on these magazines for placement. When the ground reality is seen, we are failing in our duties as an education institution toward them. It is shocking that the matter, rather than being investigated and the guilty being brought to book, is being brushed aside. According to Mr Goyal, Dr Manoj Sharma, reader in the UBS, who supplied the fake data, was facing a charge sheet for being the impersonator of an examiner. This inquiry report was produced in the senate meeting of December 31. No action had been taken for the misleading facts.

Tribune News Service

" />
koolsapra Says
Source: www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070103/cth1.htmMisinformation, UBS style Amrita DhaliwalTribune News Service Chandigarh, January 2The University Business School (UBS) of the Panjab University seems to have been providing wrong information to various leading magazines of the country, which rate business schools in their annual surveys. The UBS has been getting ranked among the top 20 management institutes for the past few years, a fact which has been widely publicised by the university. The glaring fact came to light when the data provided by the UBS was being fed into the records of the All-India Management Association, the apex body collecting the data on various business schools of the country and providing various magazines with the same. The data supplied was for 2004-2005. According to sources, on being fed the information, computers gave a message that it was unrealistic data. Thinking that there might be an accidental error, officials contacted Dr A.K. Sehjpal, dean, commerce and business management, Panjab University. Investigations by Dr Sehjpal led to the fact that the data being provided was wrong. He contacted the teacher concerned to revise the information. I got the information corrected and it was later decided by ex-vice-chancellor K.N. Pathak not to participate in rankings anymore after it came to light that facts were being fabricated. The UBS did not participate in the rankings for this year. The matter was kept under wraps for fear of bad publicity. This incident shocked those who learnt about it. The issue was also raised by senator Ashok Goyal, who, observing that the UBS was ranked 11th in one magazine while there was no mention of it in another, requested the university look into the matter. It was not attended to. I was surprised to see that we are not ranked in one magazine while we are ranked in another. I wrote to the vice-chancellor that we are only rated in the magazine where the data is supplied to agencies which rates them, while we are no where in the list where the magazine does it themselves. He alleged that it was brushed aside. It was only later that the shocking details were known. Students and parents all over the country largely depend on such data provided by magazines. Companies also depend on these magazines for placement. When the ground reality is seen, we are failing in our duties as an education institution toward them. It is shocking that the matter, rather than being investigated and the guilty being brought to book, is being brushed aside. According to Mr Goyal, Dr Manoj Sharma, reader in the UBS, who supplied the fake data, was facing a charge sheet for being the impersonator of an examiner. This inquiry report was produced in the senate meeting of December 31. No action had been taken for the misleading facts.

this can affect hard on the image of ubs among aspirant AFAIK its cut off is around 94 or sumthing (i always used to wonder why ). but this is going to affect the admissions to the colg this year , surely students ll think twice before entering in the colg.
Tribune News Service

oh man there is the shocking difference in the figures everthing has been increased 5 times of its actual value :wow: .........................

this means we shud not believe these rankings provided .

one more thing m shocked about is y dont student who took admission last year make us available with this truth before , why they wanted all others to enter such B school . or atleast they cud have come with the actual figures.

Don't worry folks, even though one man's folly may have dented the reputation of UBS, companies will not stop visiting campus. The economy's booming, & companies are desperately short of talent. Anyway, the students are not at fault, there will be ample talented guys for the picking at every b-school in India. Such follies are overlooked when demand for b-school grads. overstrips supply, and ethics is usually never given a glance by most companies, after all, only the balance sheets are an indications of a company's success. So rest assured, take admission at UBS.

Why do you sound like a PR representative of UBS? It can't be a one-man thing. Such outright-lying can never happen without the complicity of all the top-honchos at UBS.

Further by giving sum fundas about placements, you are just trivializing the whole issue.You think that students want to go to B-school only for placements?
How can you learn in an institute which doesn't practice basic ethics?

Understand the gravity of the situation, before you try "comforting" students, by such misleading posts! Encourage em to do some more thinking.

Dude, the hard facts:

1. Placements/Quality of placements (Related to reputation of the institute)
2. Quality of faculty/learning process
3. Infra/libray/Computer centre, etc.
4. Alumni Base ( Though usually does not help in most cases)
5. Fees

This is usually how it goes, placements usually take the first place, though most folks will never admit it. They always say they are 'here to learn'. Hard to digest, but to rise up the management hierarchy, the quality of placement, and the first opening you get, maybe executive, mgmt. trainee, etc., plays a crucial role in your advancement in career, that's how placement comes into play.

As for being a PR of UBS, I have not applied to UBS, never was interested really. Personal reasons, I don't won't to start another debate on that.

Next, ethics, if you've being reading the news, SPJIMR, one of the foremost b-schools in India and one of the most vocal proponents of ethics was recently hauled up by a consumer court for not refunding the admit fees of a candidate. You may search the forums here on PG, the article is listed somewhere, search for it.

Ethics looks good in books, practicing it in real life is not easy, once you enter the corporate world, you will have to take hard decisions which may not sound entirely ethical.

But why do you want to get lost in the crowd... I believe that it is in our hands to write our own destiny. Nobody can affect the way we want to live our lives. If I want to be ethical in life, it's up to me...

natasha01 Says
But why do you want to get lost in the crowd... I believe that it is in our hands to write our own destiny. Nobody can affect the way we want to live our lives. If I want to be ethical in life, it's up to me...

True, you live the way you desire. I had the ideals you profess when I finished grad. Now I'm a hardened sales prof., & I know that's its a tough ruthless world out there. Everyone steps put fresh from grad. with high hopes, in many cases these are dashed to the ground when you go out to work on the first day itself. That's a hard fact of life. You don't get hunky dory work place and many of your expectations are simpled grounded. Experience makes you a wiser person in life.
Scorpio_19 Says
True, you live the way you desire. I had the ideals you profess when I finished grad. Now I'm a hardened sales prof., & I know that's its a tough ruthless world out there. Everyone steps put fresh from grad. with high hopes, in many cases these are dashed to the ground when you go out to work on the first day itself. That's a hard fact of life. You don't get hunky dory work place and many of your expectations are simpled grounded. Experience makes you a wiser person in life.

I know what you are saying dear friend!!! I have been working for the past three years and know that it is really a hard world out there... But again, I would say, whatever the world does, just keep YOUR values alive... You can't do much about what is out of your control, but you can certainly do about things that are in YOUR control. Don't lose hope, dear friend, there is light at the end of the tunnel...
Tribune News Service

okie ppl......lets see how much i justify theis issue i m gonna talk about.
I m first year student at UBS in Intenational Busieness in open category.....turned down nirma,KJ Somaiya,ICFAI Hyderabad n welingkar.....n opted for UBS for its brand....n for what it stands out to be.

first of all these reports which cropped up in the newspaper day back.......the data which they say that has been so call "FABRICATED".....no one has the data where exactly is all of that shown n in which survey magazine......i tried to find out tht in outlook n other surveys bt the above given numbers were nowhere in any surveys.....alot thngs which r so called "Fabricated".....are actually never talked about n given at all to any one in this world.

Bt lets go a step ahead.......to what all i know about UBS,being a student here...... can definitely give n insight on tht.

Number of classrooms......yes we do have 4 sections for 1st year n 4 for 2nd year.....marketing,finance, INTERNATIONAL BUISINESS n HR....so a total of 8 classess at a time for MBA....thts it whats practically required......Bt in the number under "ACTUAL".....the seminar halls n classrooms which we share in the same building with MeCom course is again not counted to that actual number of classess loooks small.

next comes "number of beds in hostel"......we are 300 ppl for MBA in 1st n 2nd year in totality.....we have got seperate hostels for boys n gals.....2 for boys n 2 for gals.....as of now. total capcity of each hostel is some where around 550.....keepin in mind double occupancy. ....so that makes total hostel bed of somewhere around 2000 for not even around 200 students who actually take up hostels.

UBS shares its resources with Panjab University.......so these r university's hostels...n occupancy is never ever an issue.....so anyone who is a university student...gets a hostel for sure .....UBS students are always given priority for even choice of rooms.

faculty memebers sent abroad on xchange program....in the last 6 months i have see 4 faculty members going for tht....n we got some of their lectures as free coz of them not being in country......we ve seen that very well....n had fun in free classes as well.
i wld personally appreciate if more faculty indulge in such a process....:smile:

average international salary $31000......was offered to only one guy in eSys......tht guy has not yet completed his on year training in bangalore. n was jst one.....average kahaan se aaya?....neways this year no international package is there.....no company offered such a profile this year.

International conferences 30 n national conferences 12.......is UBS harvard buiseness school or IIMs or some thing else that it organises more of international conference that national.....tht itself sounds so lame.....nobody projects that for UBS.

Libarary.....we have one of our own UBS library exclusively for management stuff n again we share the resources with university library of which all students r members n is not even 100 mtrs away fom our building......its national budget is not 1.08 crores as given in "FABRICATED LSIT" bt actually it is 2.85 crores annually.....with over 6.5 lakh books......i cant even imagine reading those many book in my life time.
its website is Panjab University Library, Chandigarh, INDIA: Digital Library
our own library has innumerable journals n loads of books....n we all get alot of gaaliyan from our faculty for not reading them.

computers....yes 53 is the right number......we share 250 computers with enggeneering deptt....bt lets keep them aside.......bt the number of laptops which 300 students of UBS have....what about tht? its so easy to make it cumpolsary for students to have a laptop like any other B-school does....n add Rs 50,000 in its fees structure.
here maximum students have their own personal laptops n also have our hostels
wi-fi....classes chod ke agar computer lab mein gaye to waise hi pangey ho jayengey lectures ke.

Oh yes....Auditorium......we have a 100 seater....to be very specific some where around 85-90 seater......bt we also have a 500 seater auditorium in the same building along with LAW deppt.....which we also used for our Buiseness club annual function.

n the best one is......No. of Houses for Staff........i m still unable to understnd what a student's life has to do if the faculty ppl live in their own house or given by university???university has its limitation as far as the number of houses goes n the area it has under it......which is to be again aloted as per the seniority of the whole univerty proffesos of all the diffrent deppts.

n the list wld go on......ppl i really wanna ensure tht such reports r big time attempt to harm the image unnecesarily jst to gain over personal ego hassels over some one else......if Outlook ranked UBS 11th last year in its ranking, it ranked it 3rd this year under the "UNIVERSITY COLLEGES LIST just after FMS n JBIMS".

At the same time.....being 38 years old institute....the kind alumnii base the institute has n the brand weightage it carries....there jst can nothing happen to hamper the image for ppl who come in as recruiters......as of now the whole thing loooks to me like an attempted image hampering....jst to have personal gains.....n is for ppl who r at top notchs.

so till the issues comes out in air open.....avoid the thing.....!!!!n prepare well for yr GD n PI for UBS as well as calls from other coleges.
BEst of Luck !!!