Tuck vs Kellogg

I have an admit from Tuck and Kellogg (in the MMM program, i.e. MBA + MEM degrees). Need your guidance to make an informed decision. I am Indian candidate with 7 years experience in technology industry. I want a product management role i…

I have an admit from Tuck and Kellogg (in the MMM program, i.e. MBA + MEM degrees).
Need your guidance to make an informed decision.

I am Indian candidate with 7 years experience in technology industry.
I want a product management role in a technology company such as Apple, Google, eBay, Yahoo, etc post-mba. I intend to work in the US post-mba. Exact location within US does not matter much. Long term, I look forward to the role of a CTO in a consumer technology organization.

According to what I know:
Collaborative Culture: Tuck > Kellogg
Brand Name (especially in Asia): Kellogg > Tuck
Curriculum relevance: Kellogg's MMM program has better focus on New Product Development that I am looking for
Access to technology companies (that I intend to work for) : Kellogg has an edge
Access to Silicon Valley: Both are away from SV. So its even.
Class size: Tuck's small size is an advantage + Tuck does not have any other executive/part-time programs which, I feel, translates to better access to faculty

I have an admit from Tuck and Kellogg (in the MMM program, i.e. MBA + MEM degrees).

I want a product management role in a technology company such as Apple, Google, eBay, Yahoo, etc post-mba. I intend to work in the US post-mba. Exact location within US does not matter much. Long term, I look forward to the role of a CTO in a consumer technology organization.

Curriculum relevance: Kellogg's MMM program has better focus on New Product Development that I am looking for
Access to technology companies (that I intend to work for) : Kellogg has an edge
Class size: Tuck's small size is an advantage + Tuck does not have any other executive/part-time programs which, I feel, translates to better access to faculty

It's a no brainer go for Kellogg

Didn't know you were active on PG as well 😃

kkube you seem to have answered your own question - Kellogg... Have you had a chance to visit both schools..? Incase you havn't send me a PM - I have visited both schools and would be glad to share my perspective

Rosh

kkube,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on bagging admits from two coveted institutes of international repute, great going! :thumbsup: I'm sure it must be a tough choice deciding between two good schools (especially Kellogg and Tuck) as they are very similar schools and there's not much to differentiate and slot them in different leagues. However, I will try and provide my two pence; hope it helps. :)

1. Collaborative Culture: Tuck > Kellogg
2. Brand Name (especially in Asia): Kellogg > Tuck
3. Curriculum relevance: Kellogg's MMM program has better focus on New Product Development that I am looking for
4. Access to technology companies (that I intend to work for) : Kellogg has an edge
5. Access to Silicon Valley: Both are away from SV. So its even.
6. Location: Kellogg's proximity to Chicago is an advantage
7. Class size: Tuck's small size is an advantage + Tuck does not have any other executive/part-time programs which, I feel, translates to better access to faculty

1. I'm not too sure you can really differentiate amongst the two on the collaborative culture part; Tuck has developed the same owing to it's smaller classroom size whereas Kellogg, with a class size of nearly double that of Tuck, has managed to create a niche image for itself on this parameter as well. So, I'm sure Kellogg is doing a lot of things right in this area (eg: KWEST).

Having said that, this is a very personal call you should take after talking to 4-5 alums from each of the schools to see where you would feel yourself.

2. Quoted: "Brand Name (especially in Asia): Kellogg > Tuck" - I don't think you should consider the brand name in Asia too highly as you intend to stay back in the US. And, if I were to go by the hearsay, Kellogg brand in bigger then the Tuck brand in the US.
3. Kellogg - for the reasons you mentioned.
4. Kellogg again - Here, I would say you should take into consideration the larger alumni base, which widens your options of leveraging the alumni base to help you get into the roles you wish to take up post-MBA.
5. Not a differentiator.
6. Kellogg - Rightly pointed out - proximity to Chicago.
7. Tuck / Kellogg - A personal call.

Other important factors you ought to consider - Alumni pull (marginally better, but yes, it's Tuck), Alumni base (Kellogg), any particular elective you so want to take up and there's no variant available at the other school (eg. could be something like Kellogg's Board program).

Hope that helped. Buzz me in case you want to discuss anything further. All the very best!

Online mba in India DEIEDU Offering mba in India offers quality study materials and practice tests for the students who have opted for the online MBA degree. They also conduct interactive sessions frequently. They offer correspondence mba program for executives also. If you are looking for online mba in India then you can contact to us. http://www.deiedu.in/online-mba-in-india.php