TUCK Second MBA

hi i have done my PGDM (read MBA) from the pretty decent insti in india. read this on tuck site. thinking of firing a mail to them, nevertheless if anybody can help me on this: *Can I apply to Tuck if I already hold an MBA from another s…

hi

i have done my PGDM (read MBA) from the pretty decent insti in india. read this on tuck site. thinking of firing a mail to them, nevertheless if anybody can help me on this:

Can I apply to Tuck if I already hold an MBA from another school or country?
Tuck will not accept applications from individuals who have already earned an MBA. If you hold a similar graduate degree, but not an MBA, from another country, we will consider your application; however, you must provide us with an additional essay explaining why you need an MBA in addition to your current degree.

- Does the Indian PGDM fall under the "similar graduate degree, but not an MBA, from another country" category

thanks.

Hi Mayhs,

I face a similar dilemma, being an MBA myself and aspiring to do another one. After having researched a lot of websites and the applicant pool for many global b-schools, I have come to a conclusion that names of the degree per se will not be able to fool the adcom folks, they are too smart to understand the content of the course.

Does that mean that we do not have any option; no not really. There are lot of b-schools like Harvard, Wharton, IMD, IIM-A, INSEAD etc where Indian students who have already done an MBA have gone ahead to do another one. The recongnition of Indian MBA abroad (to understand that a PGDM/PGDBM/PGDCM etc is akin to an MBA) is fairly ok. I think , you can do two things:

1. Try to find out more about schools where a second MBA is a clear no-no. Apart from what is mentioned on the website , I have heard that Tuck clearly discourages this, there are a few other american b-schools where this is an entry restriction. Once you can generate a rough list of such schools, you can cancel them out from your pool and focus efforts on the remaining ones.

2. For others also, an important part still remains justification of a second MBA. Even though you will know the reason yourself but it will have to be carefully and convicingly told.

I would be happy to team up with you on such searches, defining rationale etc.

BTW my degree's name is unfortunately MBA itself; so slightly more difficult case than yours:neutral::neutral::neutral:

Regards,
Shravan

Tuck considers PGDM from IIM Kolkata as an MBA. I think PGDM from other Institutes is considered an MBA as well.

hi

i have done my PGDM (read MBA) from the pretty decent insti in india. read this on tuck site. thinking of firing a mail to them, nevertheless if anybody can help me on this:

Can I apply to Tuck if I already hold an MBA from another school or country?
Tuck will not accept applications from individuals who have already earned an MBA. If you hold a similar graduate degree, but not an MBA, from another country, we will consider your application; however, you must provide us with an additional essay explaining why you need an MBA in addition to your current degree.
- Does the Indian PGDM fall under the "similar graduate degree, but not an MBA, from another country" category
thanks.

Out of 5 Indians in IMD last year, 4 were MBAs.

Hi Mayhs,
There are lot of b-schools like Harvard, Wharton, IMD, IIM-A, INSEAD etc where Indian students who have already done an MBA have gone ahead to do another one.

My class at Tuck had guys from IIMB, XLRI and MICA.

Hi,

I did my Btech from WBUT .Then worked in Wipro Technologies for 3.5 years ( as a developer)
after that I did MBA-Finance from IMT-G (2014). I am about to join Genpact as a Business analyst.

However this is not what I dream of. So I want to pursue a second mba, to get a better profile. I want to increase my work ex while I prepare for it.
Can anyone give me any suggestion like whether my thought process is right? from where should I pursue my 2nd mba and other things.