Tuck is coming to India

********************************************************** Hello from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth! Kristine Laca, Director of Admissions, is visiting India this month and would like to meet you. Here is the schedule of her reception…

Hello from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth! Kristine Laca, Director of Admissions, is visiting India this month and would like to meet you. Here is the schedule of her receptions for prospective students:
February 17, 2005

6-8pm

Taj President Hotel

90, Cuffe Parade

Mumbai

Phone: (91) (22) 5665 0808

February 22, 2005

6-8pm

ITC Hotel Maurya Sheraton & Towers

Diplomatic Enclave

New Delhi

Phone: (91) (11) 2611 2233

You will have the opportunity to meet with Tuck alumni, ask questions about application procedures, and learn about how Tuck is focused on providing the best MBA education in the world.

We hope you will be able to join us at one of these receptions! Please visit our website at www.dartmouth.edu/tuck/mba/events/ to register to attend.

Warm regards,

Tuck Admissions

TuckSchool of Business at Dartmouth

Hanover, NH 03753

USA

1-603-646-3162

[email protected]
www.Tuck.Dartmouth.edu/mba

I need a help from people in Mumbai or Delhi.
Can any of you guys register for this event, attend it and give me the details about the event?
I stay in Bangalore, and unfortunately Tuck is not coming to Bangalore.

- Ramki.

Where is cuffe parade in Mumbai?

I mean in which direction to move from Borivali?

Where is cuffe parade in Mumbai?

I mean in which direction to move from Borivali?

take a train goin towards andheri...i.e southwards
get off at churchgate which is the last stop...u have to cab or bus it frm ther...bout 15 mins...buses that go ther from cgate stn r 8 ltd & 138 that i know of
take a train goin towards andheri...i.e southwards
get off at churchgate which is the last stop...u have to cab or bus it frm ther...bout 15 mins...buses that go ther from cgate stn r 8 ltd & 138 that i know of

Thank you 😃 😃
Can any of you guys register for this event, attend it and give me the details about the event?
- Ramki.

Ramki, It is a great school no doubt but I havent applied there. Also 17th happens to be a D date for a couple of things. So, I am not moving away from that COMP But I guess, u can look forward to someone interested in Tuck. :)

Simba

hey ramki,

i got the same mail from them........i think they must have got my info thru princetonreview.com........had u reg. there too?.......i have regd. for the event on 17th at Taj Presidency, Mumbai 6-8pm.......shall tell u what it was all about

in fact, I too had some queries.......

as per the website, one can register for an interview with the admissions rep. Kindly, advice on whether to reg for this one or not n what do they mean by 'interview'

i am just curious, would a guy like me (IT Engg....decent acads....worked in my dad's firm after graduation (2004) GMAT : 670) make a good candidate for applying to a college like tuck or any other in the same league after say another 1 or 2 yrs of work ex.? if no, then should i look at b-grade school right now itself?

the_czar

Ramki, It is a great school no doubt but I havent applied there. Also 17th happens to be a D date for a couple of things. So, I am not moving away from that COMP But I guess, u can look forward to someone interested in Tuck. :)

Simba

ATB Sowmya.
Keep us updated.

Maybe you can help me next year. I am not planning to take up anything this year as I am really enjoying my job now.

- Ramki.
hey ramki,

i got the same mail from them........i think they must have got my info thru princetonreview.com........had u reg. there too?.......i have regd. for the event on 17th at Taj Presidency, Mumbai 6-8pm.......shall tell u what it was all about

in fact, I too had some queries.......

as per the website, one can register for an interview with the admissions rep. Kindly, advice on whether to reg for this one or not n what do they mean by 'interview'

i am just curious, would a guy like me (IT Engg....decent acads....worked in my dad's firm after graduation (2004) GMAT : 670) make a good candidate for applying to a college like tuck or any other in the same league after say another 1 or 2 yrs of work ex.? if no, then should i look at b-grade school right now itself?

the_czar

I think they get it from GMAC. I have not registered with any other site.
When you register at MBA.com, there is an option allowing schools to contact you. I think that is checked by default. Also, at the end of GMAT exam when you take the survey you can allow schools to contact you.

Thanks for the offer. It would be great if you can let me know what happened, as I plan to apply there next year.

- Ramki.

If you intend to apply to the top bschools, make sure your career goals and in sync with what you are doing. People with 4/5 years of work ex are prime for applying to the top bschools. But remember that the GMAT is just a hygiene factor. Anything near 700 is looked upon favourably.

If you work for 2/3 years of work ex, have made the best use of the resources available to you and can contribute to the learnings of your fellow batchmates, there is no reason you cannot apply to the top tier bschools.

Best of luck 😃
the_czar

Hmmm, I presume it is for people who have applied to Tuck who might want to strengthen their case with the help of the interview. Also, it might be something like an informal interview for prospective students, if u are applying in the later rounds. Even these informal interviews help a lot as they give you a lot of info about the school & the prospects of your cadidature. As I am not chasing Tuck, I am not sure about these 'interviews'. 😃 But then again, go for these interviews only if u are passionate about Tuck & want to definitely study there... People who will meet u for interviews are basically the Adcom guys who can smell the kind of person they are interviewing...

Czar, if u are not really sure about the school, just attend their info session. If U decide to apply for the Class of '08, U can always schedule an interview next year!! 😃

Maybe you can help me next year. I am not planning to take up anything this year as I am really enjoying my job now.
- Ramki.

Ramki, I thought you were applying to ISB this year!! Anyways, All the best for everything :)

Cheers,
Simba
thanks a lot pg and simba for ur views......it makes sense to give the interview a pass this year as u said simba but will go for the info session and hey best of luck for duke result and isb interview.

hey ramki,

really sorry for not having posted b4.....had been to the meet n got to know a lot bout TUCK

there was the dir. of admissions Kristine who was representing tuck.......she started of by giving us some info bout the school

1) They admit only 240 students every year n the school emphasises a lot on diversity
2) The school provides only a gen mgmt. program........no specialization but one can choose amongst the courses in the second year........pretty flexible in that respect
3) The 1st year is divided in 3 halves.......In the 1st two they have alloted groups (This is the best part) In effect, b4 u reach Tuck, these guys have already set a group 4 u to work with in the 1st half........i think she said 6 people.....they make sure that these r people with completely diff backgrounds........so is the case with the 2nd half of the 1st year..........the third is the one in which you can choose ur own group
4) They have, i think, 15 compulsory courses in the 1st yr

The one thing that everyone stressed was a strong sense of belonging........due to the size of the school and Hanover(the place where its situated) virtually everyone knows whats happening in others life.............there r i think some 3 restaurants there, 1-2 shopping malls n stuff.......

the school has a pretty strong alumni n/w...............she gave us one guys eg.........he was an alumnus of tuck n called up the faculty one fine day to know more bout agro business......these guys got him in touch with one of the guys from Cargill Intl (this organization is as bog as it gets) who came to tuck for recruitement which ultimately resulted in a job offer.

essentially, the school looks for improvement in professional n personal life of an individual n there is a lot of personal attn given to the students......it seems the faculty member know a lot bout u b4 u've even gone there........the placements r topclass esp for finance spec. FT rank 1 for the same...............

in prospective students they look for leadership potential, good acads, quality of work ex etc.

the current class of tuck has an age range of 24-44, avg gmat 704...........she said only 1 student in the current class was a fresher

there were two admitted student to class of 2007 present...........1 guy had 7yrs of work ex n the other had some 3.5 in an it firm..........

thats it i guess. hope this helps.........ATB

czar

I stay in Bangalore, and unfortunately Tuck is not coming to Bangalore.

- Ramki.

Here is a piece that i found on tuck by one of the guys who had been there for an interview..........this guy has been admitted to tuck

i had reservations across the border in vermont - the hotel in tuck had been booked months in advance for an alumni reunion. the drive was the best so far - no traffic and beautiful views all along. the trees were just starting to get a little colorful. i can imagine how awesome it'll look in a few weeks. i reached the hotel in cavendish around 3:30, checked in and headed back out for pizza and a drink. there was this place called wicked good pie - the name sounded good but the pie was rather average. should have settled for the simpler named place across the street - oh well prey to marketing again.

i then drove down to tuck to meet up with a friend of a friend - and just get a feel for the place. the first thing that hit me is that hanover is small - if you blink you'll miss it. its just the school, a couple of stores and some housing. and a lot of trees. i walked around for a bit and talked here and there to random people. it felt good to be away from the big city "i don't care who you are - move along" attitude. everybody had time to talk and everyone seemed to know everyone else. i was talking to someone in the admin. and he invited me to join them for tuck tales. chatting with some first year students, i ran into the guy i was supposed to meet. we talked for about half and hour and then i headed back.

this place is really different - you have to visit it to understand. a lot of students stay in the mba dorms. and they really do play hockey at midnight. any other schools wondering how to promote camaraderie and teamwork - come visit here for a week.
on the way back to cavendish, as i crossed over from nh to vt, i was stopped by some sort of border patrol. they were pulling over non-us citizens and checking out paperwork and that sort of thing. they asked me for my id and passport - i told them my passport was in the hotel and gave them my driver's lisence. then they wanted my h1-b papers. who the hell carries those on them - someone needs to tell these guys the h1-b paperwork doesn't exactly fit in a shirt pocket. they were polite and i'm sure they were doing their job. it took them 15 minutes to check my "records" while i waited out in the cold NH evening.
the next morning, i reached tuck a good 1 hour early. i had kept the margin in case the border patrol guys wanted to look me up again. they were on the other side of the highway - checking people as they went from NH to VT like the night before. parked on campus and chatted with some alumni who were around. the amazing thing was that these guys - 5, 10, 20 years out of school - were still in love with the place. it sort of reminds me of my high school. i've since attended two universities but my love for my high school is unsurpassed. i guess it's the sense of belonging that the program instills.

i had an interview at 10. we met in the waiting room and there seemed to be an awful lot of people from boston. if anybody is still wondering, wear a suit. there wasn't a single person without one on. the director of admissions, kristina laca came and talked with us for a bit and then i had an interview with a second year student. i'd spent a lot of time reflecting what i want to do going forward, what i'm good at, and what i need to improve. that said, i don't believe in preparing answers for 200 questions and then repeating them word for word during an interview. it might work for some but it's not for me. my interviewer was friendly but had a clearcut list of questions he wanted to ask. most were pretty straight forward - why tuck, why mba, what do you bring to the table, etc. there were one or two of the stress kind - 'you meet the director of admissions in an elevator and you have 45 seconds to impress her about why you should be admitted - go!' type questions. overall, i don't think my interview was a slam dunk but not bad either.

all of us (at this point there were around 25 prospectives there) went to different classes in groups of 3-4. the class i went to was decision science by dr. camm. they were discussing some case wherein they had to decide what size sales force to have for some pharma company with 5-6 different drugs on the market. i can't remember the numbers but the groups presented and everybody had numbers between 500-700 (or something like that). then the last group came up with 350 (i might be off a bit on the actual numbers) and showed how they could get >95% of the sales revenue with the much smaller sales force. it was pretty quant intensive and most of them did a really good job of presenting. see i don't like it when people are content with being good at crunching out the numbers - explaining and presenting is just as important if not more so. the students were amazing. the other thing was - i had visited 3 other schools before this and this was the first time the professor introduced us prospectives to the rest of the class. it was rather nice and we felt a part of the discussion. really, this is the kind of thing that sets this place apart - people really take the time and care about you.

after that was lunch with a group of students. we talked about hockey and the dorms and working in teams. again a little different from the other schools - there it felt more like a question answer session with current students. here it almost felt like lunch with friends. i had some concerns about the lack of diversity on campus - not really true. i mean somebody could make a case that since there are less people altogether, there is less diversity but other than that it is a pretty diverse bunch. we had a tour of the campus after lunch and then it was time for me to leave. i was flying out of manchester at 6 so i had to get going.
the drive to manchester was 2 hours - all said and done i had driven 1500 miles in 5 days and visited 4 schools.

distilled thoughts about tuck:

pluses:beautiful campus and surroundings
it's the one place i will really enjoy 2 years at
sharp students and very friendly
great facilities
extremely team oriented approach in everything
they really manage to make the most of the close knit community - you have to talk to alums to realize what i mean.

minuses: border checking (i know its not a tuck minus per se)
they haven't let me in yet :)

Hi ppl,
I have scored 640 in GMAT:( .But I want to apply for Tuck??: .What do u ppl suggest.

Ahead.

hey this is a one year old thread...

I know.Didn't want to start a new thread.So can ne one tell me if its ok to apply?