trying GMAT at age 39 - it is hard - please advise

Hi I have work ex. of 16 years and work as Business Head in a MNC. Doing well in job currently but wish to achieve more in life… I attempted first and got 500 :: Maths(35) verb(23) only with out much preparation , as I was a…

Hi
I have work ex. of 16 years and work as Business Head in a MNC.

Doing well in job currently but wish to achieve more in life.........

I attempted first and got 500 Maths(35) verb(23) only with out much preparation , as I was away from books for 14 years+.

Tried second attempt with some coaching got 560 Maths ( 41) varbal ( 27) scaled score.

Studied harder , third attempt, got 530??? :-(Maths (45) verbal (22). I feel it is the verbal section which kills indian students.

Can any one with same experience , advise what to do next, I want to try again ( target 700+) and for the last time. At my age- touching 40 - next month , i feel it is my last chance. Wish to go to INSEAD or IMD.

Hi

I attempted first and got 500 Maths(35) verb(23) only with out much preparation , as I was away from books for 14 years+.

Tried second attempt with some coaching got 560 Maths ( 41) varbal ( 27) scaled score.

Studied harder , third attempt, got 530??? :-(Maths (45) verbal (22). I feel it is the verbal section which kills indian students.

Can any one with same experience , advise what to do next, I want to try again ( target 700+) and for the last time. At my age- touching 40 - next month , i feel it is my last chance. Wish to go to INSEAD or IMD.

My 2 cents:

I suppose you are a pretty strong candidate for schools such as IMD/INSEAD. And score of 650+ would be a safe bet for you. If i were u, i'd have hired a private tutor with little customized approach and the kind of vast experience u have u can easily put together a strong apps to mentioned schools.

I hope this will help.

Cheers!
Hi

Hi anupam,

I would like to commend your determination and willingness for seeking out to achieve your dreams, age notwithstanding.

As for GMAT, the examination requires a certain methodology in the preparation and without the same, efforts put in shall not yield much in the form of output. Hence it is strongly advised that you seek some guidance from some personal tutor or some coaching classes, only ones that are reputed, not just any run-of-the-mill institutes.

As you might be aware, reputed institutes have MBA students' median age around your own age, hence there is a certain advantage in terms of profile that you have over other Indian applicants, most of whom are recent grads with a few yrs of experience in the IT field. An institute abroad focusses more on building a class with a diverse background in terms of nationality and experience. Your profile and level of experience may get you in IMD/INSEAD even with a relatively lower GMAT score.. 650+ is something I would be looking at, subject to good applications and essays, for which again professional help can be sought.

Please feel free to clarify anything via PM.
Hi anupam,

I would like to commend your determination and willingness for seeking out to achieve your dreams, age notwithstanding.

As for GMAT, the examination requires a certain methodology in the preparation and without the same, efforts put in shall not yield much in the form of output. Hence it is strongly advised that you seek some guidance from some personal tutor or some coaching classes, only ones that are reputed, not just any run-of-the-mill institutes.

As you might be aware, reputed institutes have MBA students' median age around your own age, hence there is a certain advantage in terms of profile that you have over other Indian applicants, most of whom are recent grads with a few yrs of experience in the IT field. An institute abroad focusses more on building a class with a diverse background in terms of nationality and experience. Your profile and level of experience may get you in IMD/INSEAD even with a relatively lower GMAT score.. 650+ is something I would be looking at, subject to good applications and essays, for which again professional help can be sought.

Hi dear

thanks for your kind words. Infact I had attended tutrial classes from Jam......ee in delhi NFC. It improved my maths but verbal tutorial was not so beneficial. Infact I was all ready with my applications for IMD and INSEAD along with very strong essays as I have work exposure in sales , marketing , customer service and product managment in my profile.

But lower GMAT score spelt disaster for me and at the moment I feel little demotivated but at the same time if work on verbal then I feel I can get closer to 700 score.

Can you suggest some personal tutor in south delhi for verbal.

Have a good day ..........

I'm 25 years old, with a BE, 2 years exp in IT, didn't like the job(one of the most coveted MNCs in India), left it to prepare for CAT for approximately 5months, scored 98% approx, didn't get a single call, thought all is lost, but still didn't cry!

But your motivation to pursue your dreams at your age made my eyes atleast moist with joy!

You are younger than me man! Go chase your dreams!

Hi brother

thanks for your great words , it charged my battery again. I feel age is just a number, we should be driven by passion and dreams , this website is rightly called pagalguy...s.com. You are so young and hv no liability. I am chasing this dream even though I have two kids ( 12 and 7 ) and family to support.... and If I go I know I shall be with out a job for 1.5 Year min.
If my story motivates you , then I promise you that I shall give it my blood , sweat , my sleep but shall do , what I want.............. and by the way .......ALL THE BEST TO you also ,,,,,,ALL SHALL BE WELL.....

do give some suggestions on verbal

Hi

Dear anupam,

I am 40 yrs of age and gave the gmat in Apr 10 for the first time. Had twenty two days of leave and gave the gmat for the first time. Was able to score 710. For the verbal section, may I suggest that you look at Wren and Martin for basic grammar. Go through it once. Then sit with the OG and the Verbal review. Try to solve questions and mark those that you answer incorrectly. Find out the basic thing that is going wrong and revise it from wren and martin and the OG. Give as many exams as possible; that will build up speed. The OG has also a list of essays that you shouuld attempt to answer.
Try this, I think it will work. cheers:)
Dear anupam,

I am 40 yrs of age and gave the gmat in Apr 10 for the first time. Had twenty two days of leave and gave the gmat for the first time. Was able to score 710. For the verbal section, may I suggest that you look at Wren and Martin for basic grammar. Go through it once. Then sit with the OG and the Verbal review. Try to solve questions and mark those that you answer incorrectly. Find out the basic thing that is going wrong and revise it from wren and martin and the OG. Give as many exams as possible; that will build up speed. The OG has also a list of essays that you shouuld attempt to answer.
Try this, I think it will work. cheers:)

I would suggest not to go through Wren & Martin. Instead stick to the basics from any good book (Manhattan SC guide for example). Rest of it is how you tackle SC from a logic perspective.

All the best for your efforts. As a working/family man you will realize Perseverance is the key. Keep going!

Arun
Hi brother

thanks for your great words , it charged my battery again. I feel age is just a number, we should be driven by passion and dreams , this website is rightly called pagalguy...s.com. You are so young and hv no liability. I am chasing this dream even though I have two kids ( 12 and 7 ) and family to support.... and If I go I know I shall be with out a job for 1.5 Year min.
If my story motivates you , then I promise you that I shall give it my blood , sweat , my sleep but shall do , what I want.............. and by the way .......ALL THE BEST TO you also ,,,,,,ALL SHALL BE WELL.....

do give some suggestions on verbal

Hi Anupam,
Its really heartening to see a charged aspirant like you.You are right that age is just a number and its ur dreams and passion that matters the most.Few days ago, i had my 2nd and final attempt at CAT/other MBA exams and with an experience of almost 3 years and an age of 25 i considered myself old enough not to go for CAT again and get my seat booked in a B-school this year or else go for GMAT next year. I was just wondering if age has something to do with MBA as many freshers jump into top indian B-schools at ages of 21-23.But going through many threads and discussions with few professional CAT/GMAT trainers i came to know that more the experience more is ur chances of getting a seat in a world class B-school.Though i have already made my mind for an MBA at IIT-Delhi so i won't be able to go for GMAT now.

As per my knowledge and the data which i have, Your profile is too strong for any B-school on this earth and even a score of 550-650 will see you through at schools like INSEAD and IMD.I know its hard to believe but trust me a good SOP and strong LOR will make ur job done for sure and i don't think it would be difficult to do so.
I recommend you to go through the IMS website and have a look at the profiles and corresponding GMAT scores with the level of experience and you can easily map out where exactly do u stand
http://www.imsindia.com/ims333/studyabroad/IMS_Study_Abroad_Success.pdf
Hi anupam,

Hi rtz, thanks for your thanks. Tell me, is IMD accepting students of 39-40 years age fr their 01 year full time MBA. My corres with IMD indicates that they do not accept students of this age. thanks

Okay here is time for me to break the bad news. And I am sorry I have to be the bearer of that.

Firstly at 40 there is a very tough chance for you to get an admit since most top schools are age averse. The whole point being an MBA should help you catapult your career at an early stage - not at 40. So they see for leadership "potential" and not for already demonstrated leadership.

Secondly I would personally recommend that you take up some kind of AMP program at a top school because that will be better suited for your kind of profile - especially since you are at a business unit head level.

Thirdly do consider the option of doing an MBA from IIM-A/B/C PGPX course as that might provide you the level and kind of leadership training you are looking at.

Hope this helps,

Arun

Here is an excellent article from Accepted.com:

MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Older Applicants

Arun

Okay here is time for me to break the bad news. And I am sorry I have to be the bearer of that.

Firstly at 40 there is a very tough chance for you to get an admit since most top schools are age averse. The whole point being an MBA should help you catapult your career at an early stage - not at 40. So they see for leadership "potential" and not for already demonstrated leadership.

Secondly I would personally recommend that you take up some kind of AMP program at a top school because that will be better suited for your kind of profile - especially since you are at a business unit head level.

Thirdly do consider the option of doing an MBA from IIM-A/B/C PGPX course as that might provide you the level and kind of leadership training you are looking at.

Hope this helps,

Arun

Thanks for the insight.
cjanoam Says
Thanks for the insight.

But I do know of some 39-40 year olds who have been given admission to sbs oxford, isb and a few other schools. So the scene is not as bleak, hopefully.

Thanks for the article Arun. It would help me in applications. I'm a to-be 32 this year female applicant, targeting to apply this year.

Just gave the exam today and got a 660(Q 48;V33). Gmat prep tests were getting me 680, 690 with a Verbal of 35-37. So I clearly need to get a better verbal score when I retake.

I actually can't believe I'm that poor in verbal :). I somehow feel that one is allowed lesser mistakes in the verbal section to get a good scaled score, as compared to the quant section (hope i used parellelism correctly! :P).

I've used Manhattan for SC and it has been very helpful. I think I need to give it more focus than what I had done before.
I had more number of tougher & longer RCs during the test and felt i was doing good.... apparently not!

anupam469,

Also another thing is I had a huge problem sustaining focus for more than half hour when I first started studying for the gmat. But at the moment I cant sit for 8 hours plus to study. So keep practising, that's the only thing that is going to help you. Analyse your weak points and make notes.

I'm probably not a good candidate to take tips from, considering my score today. Nevertheless, I'm not going to lose focus on what I want. Hopefully I will get better and get to 700+ in my retake.

cjanoam ,

Also another thing is I had a huge problem sustaining focus for more than half hour when I first started studying for the gmat. But at the moment I cant sit for 8 hours plus to study. So keep practising, that's the only thing that is going to help you. Analyse your weak points and make notes.

I'm probably not a good candidate to take tips from, considering my score today. Nevertheless, I'm not going to lose focus on what I want. Hopefully I will get better and get to 700+ in my retake.

Dear hitmis, thanks for yiour post. Actually I have taken GMAT and scored 710 6 in AWA. I had about 22 days to prepare, so I did what anybody with paucity of time would studied thwe OG and Wren and Martin in the morning and gave tests in the evening for those 22 days. It worked. I think that the tests are the key. MBA.COM (the official gmac sitZ) also sells previous years tests.. Those are great for practice, i used those.May I suggest that you also try them

hope this helps.:)
Thanks for the article Arun. It would help me in applications. I'm a to-be 32 this year female applicant, targeting to apply this year.

Just gave the exam today and got a 660(Q 48;V33). Gmat prep tests were getting me 680, 690 with a Verbal of 35-37. So I clearly need to get a better verbal score when I retake.

I actually can't believe I'm that poor in verbal :). I somehow feel that one is allowed lesser mistakes in the verbal section to get a good scaled score, as compared to the quant section (hope i used parellelism correctly! :P).

I've used Manhattan for SC and it has been very helpful. I think I need to give it more focus than what I had done before.
I had more number of tougher & longer RCs during the test and felt i was doing good.... apparently not!

Female, 32 with strong career progression will *not* work to your disdvantage AFAIK as long as you have good reasons for the same.

For SC I would suggest not to do the "brute force approach". If you are not doing well in any section the approach is not to practise harder or hit the grammar books again. The idea is to take a step back and analyze where you can improve. Some minor tweaks in your approach can give you a 40-50 point increase.

Here is a simple goal you can have - maximum of 8 mistakes in all.

If you think about it you will have 1 strong area where you will make few or no mistakes. Let us say this is CR for you (it is for most people) and you say I will make just 2 mistakes. Take another 4 mistakes in SC (considering you have 16 questions in all this means you are hitting 1 in 4 question incorrectly) and add another 2 to RC (typically easier passages you will get all correct and its only towards the end when your concentration is jaded you will make mistakes). Net net if you end up with say 8 mistakes then you can get around 40 raw score in verbal.

Add another point increase to your quant - 49 (typically this is also due to easy fixes such as tackling yes/no questions in DS) then you can end up with a 740!

I know this sounds simpler than it is but no harm trying

All the best!

Arun

PS: Nit-pick

BTW it wasn't parallel (not 'parellel') structure that causes a problem in that sentence. For starters there is a comparisons error - you try comparing mistakes with quant section. Apart from that you use lesser for a countable nound. Finally you have a modifier to get a good scaled score placed incorrectly. The correct sentence would be:

I somehow feel that to get a good scaled score one is allowed can commit lesser fewer mistakes in the verbal section to get a good scaled score, as compared to the mistakes one can afford to commit in the quant section (hope i used parellelism correctly! :P)

Are you still sure you want to hold onto your "beliefs"?