TOEFL waiver interviews???

Hi people, Has anyone here heard about or experienced TOEFL waiver interviews. What are they and how are they conducted. I have an interview slated on 3rd Dec with University of Virginia: Darden and I have got no clude how to go about it. I h…

Hi people,

Has anyone here heard about or experienced TOEFL waiver interviews. What are they and how are they conducted. I have an interview slated on 3rd Dec with University of Virginia: Darden and I have got no clude how to go about it. I have however been told by adcom that it will not be a casual chat but evaluative and descriptive! I can't make too much out of that.

could anyone please help me. All pointers and gyan is welcome.
Eagerly looking forward for some inputs.

Cheers!!!

Whatever it is ..it can't be that bad.. .. TOEFL is a rather simple exam and therefore I guess they will be checking to see if you can understand, assimiliate and converse in english .. shouldn't be too tough..whatever it is ..and I am sure they wont ask you grammar

Sorry to be not of too muchos help... but getting worried for TOEFL .. thoda jyaada ho gaya

Whatever it is ..it can't be that bad.. .. TOEFL is a rather simple exam and therefore I guess they will be checking to see if you can understand, assimiliate and converse in english .. shouldn't be too tough..whatever it is ..and I am sure they wont ask you grammar

Sorry to be not of too muchos help... but getting worried for TOEFL .. thoda jyaada ho gaya

Hey PG cmmon... there is nothing wrong in being "worried" about TOEFL.... its individualistic right.... you may be good in English Conversation ...but someone might not be... or sometimes its just that being a "formal" exam would give someone butterflies in the stomach... and I always belive that it is better to go prepared than come out foolish from an exam(however simple it might be)... so funkyfuturist's question is quite relevant....what say....

Anyone with any experience please help the poor soul.....

Ketan

Hey funkyfuturist,

How did you go about requesting the TOEFL waiver?I am planning to do the same and would like your inputs.

Thanks

Haan yaar thoda jyaada toh hai... but I don't wanna make an ass of myself dost. You know when one takes the TOEFL (which I will not be taking at all) its just you and you alone... Scores stay with you and nobody is going to build an opinion. Lekin idhaar there's going to be a gori mem sitting and "evaluating" how good my english is and if I have wasted their time in scheduelling a special interview. If I don't go though this interview... unfortunately I will not have time to take the TOEFL and I will have to apply to Duke which I think is going to be a bit of a struggle and anyway, its not where I want to be desperately.

Moreover, I also worried about the stern response I had got from adcom regarding the nature of interview as being "descriptive & evaluative". I really don't want them to ask me figures of speech, synonyms and antonyms.

I hope its just a "descriptive and evaluative" conversation, which actually I believe it will be. I was just hoping to find some gyan from some experinced dude.

And mate I seriously hope you are right about the grammar cause if you aren't... toh gayee bhains pani mein 😃

so funkyfuturist's question is quite relevant....what say....

I can vouch for that as well 😃

Meanwhile, English is not a problem... its the mystery behind content.
All gyan is still welcome.

Cheers!!!
Hey funkyfuturist,

How did you go about requesting the TOEFL waiver?I am planning to do the same and would like your inputs.

Thanks

Five steps:

1) Go to the respective university websites
2) Check the criteria
3) See if you match any of those
4) Write to the univeristy with you case
5) If nothing is specified or the university considers TOEFL waivers on a case to case basis, make a strong case and write to adcom.

General considerations:
1) Worked in an english speaking country for 2/3 years
2) Completed undergrad education in english
3) Any other form of quailty exposure to the english language

Be warned though the consideration mentioned above are not those accepted by all universities... they may differ.

Also I guess this might just be the wrong thread to post. Why don't you try the thread labeled "Fall 2006 gang" with all your generic queries.

cheers!!!

Hey Funky,

Actually, it will be great if we can use this thread to discuss TOEFL waivers and how to secure them.

As far as your interview goes, I guess it will be a simple assessment of your speaking, listening and basic understanding skills for English. I don't think there's any reason to sweat over it. I guess they are pretty much inclined to waive TOEFL for you but just want to make sure before they do that.

I have managed to get a waiver from Ross but was not so lucky with McCombs. I am yet to mail Marshall to get a waiver.

Anyone had luck with those two? I had mailed McCombs but got a standard reply which is essentially a replica of their answer on their FAQs page to the Q on the same issue.

How did you end up with this interview - did you suggest it or was it Darden's idea? I was thinking on these lines for past few days. I am going to mail McCombs and see if they can replace a Reco Letter from native english speaker with an Alum interview.

Anyone's been through a TOEFL waiver interview earlier?

Let us know.

Cheers
- S

Hey Funky,

Actually, it will be great if we can use this thread to discuss TOEFL waivers and how to secure them.

Haan yaar sure... but let me atleast have answers to my queries. I don't mind answering any questions on toefl waiver mate :)

As far as your interview goes, I guess it will be a simple assessment of your speaking, listening and basic understanding skills for English. I don't think there's any reason to sweat over it. I guess they are pretty much inclined to waive TOEFL for you but just want to make sure before they do that.

I have managed to get a waiver from Ross but was not so lucky with McCombs. I am yet to mail Marshall to get a waiver.

Anyone had luck with those two? I had mailed McCombs but got a standard reply which is essentially a replica of their answer on their FAQs page to the Q on the same issue.

Well mate... I have managed to get a TOEFL waiver from Harvard, Wharton, Tuck and Oxford and lemme tell you its no Rocket science. Infact I even have a TOEFL waivers from Ross, LBS, Sloan, Kenan Flagler, Fuqua and judge but I will not be applying those universities as of now. I guess I am still missing a couple of universites but then what-the-heck the idea is conveyed yaar.

Kellogg was not so kind though but they have always been a little bureaucratic in the head.

How did you end up with this interview - did you suggest it or was it Darden's idea? I was thinking on these lines for past few days. I am going to mail McCombs and see if they can replace a Reco Letter from native english speaker with an Alum interview.

Anyone's been through a TOEFL waiver interview earlier?

Let us know.

Cheers
- S

Well it was Darden's idea. They consider TOEFL waivers on a case to case basis.
I have had quality exposure to the English language, they however said a TOEFL Waiver could be granted only on seeing my GMAT Verbal score and my AWA score. I wrote to them and convinced them it will be too late by then and more importantly my decision will be severely hampered. What followed was a really really long string of emails before which we came to a consensus. Darden is conducting admission interviews on Dec 3rd and I have been invited as a very special case for a TOEFL waiver interview and I hope its not because I really pissed them off. This is another reason I don't want to screw up because it could also help them make an admissions decision. Who knows!!!
So its like "Ek teer se doh shikaar".

This however seems to be an isolated case... TOEFL waiver interviews are however quite common in the US. Haven't come across anyone here who has taken such an interview. I have however just seen a post by MBAfall2006 on one another thread who claims to have taken a Telephonic TOEFL waiver interview. Have written to him. Lets see what he replies with.

Cheers!!!

TOEFL waiver interviews. that seems to be something new. i got a toefl waiver from darden over email. there was no mention of interviews or so. anyway keep us posted.

akshatpa Says
TOEFL waiver interviews. that seems to be something new. i got a toefl waiver from darden over email. there was no mention of interviews or so. anyway keep us posted.

Well mate I guess you must have submitted your GMAT verbal and AWA scores. I haven't... thats why the interview

cheers!!!

Somehow I am getting a funny feeling about TOEFL.

Stanford, Wharton, Chicago & Columbia - I qualify for automatic TOEFL waivers.
Ross - I requested a waiver and got it in the reply.
McCombs - The mails are going back and forth. They are slightly bureaucratic but atleast they are suggesting a way out. So there is hope.
Marshall - This is the reason of that funny feeling. A flat refusal in one line. I got a similar disinterested/cold kind of feeling at the MBA Tour in Mumbai where their rep manning the table was flatly dismissive and refused to talk in any form other than monosyllybic. I am now reconsidering applying to Marshall.

Funky, on a related note, when's your G-date? I guess if you have your G-score with you for the interview, it might be much simpler.

Cheers
-S

Funky, on a related note, when's your G-date? I guess if you have your G-score with you for the interview, it might be much simpler.

Cheers
-S

My G-date is a few days after the interview. I guess if I would have my G-score I would have been granted the waiver, no questions asked :)

Cheers!!!